Old 22nd February 2006, 17:12   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Fuel used - XtraPremium
Topped up on 18th Jan, 2006
Topped up on 29th Jan, 2006: FE = 12.45kmpl
Topped up on 17th Feb, 2006: FE = 11.62kmpl
Last top up was immediately after 1st service.
Is XtraPremium or Speed needed in a Baleno? Specifically BSIII model?
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Tail lamps are imported. Which is why they cost a bomb.
I thought clear-lens technology and most tail-lamps are already localised.
Old 22nd February 2006, 17:22   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
Is XtraPremium or Speed needed in a Baleno? Specifically BSIII model?
I don't think so.
But I've been using them for the last 2 years. I do think XtraPremium made a difference to the Indica. Hence I've stuck to it with this car too.
I'll be burning around 70 litres a month. Considering a price difference of Rs. 1.50 (I'm sure it's lesser), it's expensive by about 100 bucks.

I'll forego one helping of Baskin Robbins a month for that .. ummm, well, actually I won't
Old 22nd February 2006, 18:21   #19
BHPian

I've done almost 15k on my Jan '05 Euro II baleno (Beam Blue) - will post after the service and the autocross... the only problems I've had are a burnt out clutch plate which was faulty from day one (and they refused to change it under warranty) and not being able to find a set of mudflaps for the car - someone stole mine and I've got this oversized ridiculous looking ones - as well as no aftermarket foglamps which are an exact fit.

Great review mate, and yes - the low down torque is what makes this car a pleasure - you can be in just about any gear and still be sure that the car will respond.

I feel that you should get 28psi filled in those tyres - I use 30 in winter and 28 in summer - will go down to 26 for the autocross

Await a detailed review in about a month...

cheers

zaphod

Last edited by zaphod : 22nd February 2006 at 18:22.
Old 22nd February 2006, 19:25   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Average Revvs - 1000 at lower end, 2200 at upper; Shifts generally around 1800-2000.
Average speed - approximately 30kmph :(

Fuel
Fuel used - XtraPremium

# Lovely snug fit seats.

# Low end torque - it's a dream to drive in the city. It's a great feeling...

# Looks - go ahead, kill me !!

# Leather steering cover sometimes feels powdery-slippery...
Great review, shuvc! For an even better FE in city, try
  • changing gears at ~1500 rpm
  • fill up petrol early morning when the underground tank is coolest and hence density is highest (more petrol for same volume)

Spot on about the seats... the driving and rear seat ergonomics are extrordinary, unbelievable comfort!

Low-end torque, especially in 3rd gear feels heavenly!

New leather does feel a bit slippery, but a few months of usage gives a great grip and feel.

shuvc, I don't know if you've felt this in Kolkata, but I feel that the blissful part about Baleno is its suspension. The way it soaks up potholes here in Mumbai is unbelievable. My friend has a Corolla and a 2-hour ride from one corner of Mumbai to another with me was sufficient for him to rue over his choice...

Last edited by msprabhakar : 22nd February 2006 at 19:26.
Old 22nd February 2006, 19:47   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
Great review, shuvc! For an even better FE in city, try
  • fill up petrol early morning when the underground tank is coolest and hence density is highest (more petrol for same volume)
Thats a nice tip. Should stick to it from next fuelling on.
Old 22nd February 2006, 20:40   #22
BHPian

@shuvc
Great report. Earlier I used to think Baleno as a drab car - but team-bhp has proved me wrong
Old 23rd February 2006, 02:40   #23
BHPian

More trivia:

Baleno's head lights, tail light and side rear view mirror assemblies are all imported from japan. So are many of the engine components, sensors are imported from USA.
Old 23rd February 2006, 03:07   #24
BHPian

Another great example of Marutis cost cutting: Maruti has not put bulbs in the inner red stoplight of the Baleno. Not only are there no bulbs there are no wirings done also.

In the US the Baleno (it was called Esteem and came with a 1.8 ltr engine) has seperate brake lights (the inner ones) which light up when the brake is pressed. Of course it also came with wider tyres .
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by msprabhakar
For an even better FE in city, try
  • .. 1500 rpm ...
shuvc, I don't know if you've felt this in Kolkata, but I feel that the blissful part about Baleno is its suspension.
shifting at 1500 is sooo sooo difficult. Am willing to trade 1 kmpl to go up to at least 2000.
Nice tip .. I generally top up after sunset. Early morning would be a pain (waking up ) .. but will surely try

As I said, I found the ride pretty comparable to the Optra. It does soak up a lot inspite of the 185/65 tyres. Maybe it does even more with the 165/80 tyres.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritik123
Baleno's head lights, tail light and side rear view mirror assemblies are all imported from japan. So are many of the engine components, sensors are imported from USA.
mymy .. why don't they localise these ? They could probably sell the car below 5 L !!

There are some small rectangular plastic areas/panels (1 inch by 1/2 inch) ready to be cutout on the handbrake/gear 'base' .. any idea what they are for ? They seem to have been used for some function in earlier/parent model and not used now.
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:50   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
As I said, I found the ride pretty comparable to the Optra. It does soak up a lot inspite of the 185/65 tyres. Maybe it does even more with the 165/80 tyres.
I did not get this one. You mean the ride comfort would be better with the smaller 165/80 tyres ? I thought it would be better other way round.

Quote:
There are some small rectangular plastic areas/panels (1 inch by 1/2 inch) ready to be cutout on the handbrake/gear 'base' .. any idea what they are for ? They seem to have been used for some function in earlier/parent model and not used now.
I think they can be used for fixing switches when you add some stuff to the car. Say like a small fan or maybe an LPG kit or something. I might be wrong also.
Old 23rd February 2006, 11:57   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
I did not get this one. You mean the ride comfort would be better with the smaller 165/80 tyres ? I thought it would be better other way round.
Well the side wall height for 165/80 and 185/65 would be
165*.8 = 132 mm
185*.65 = 120.25 mm
So there's more cushioning available with the 165/80.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:28   #28
BHPian

My Baleno is doing 8,000 kms and driving like a dream except for those "khatak" noises and the reverse gear acting up ( refusing to engage)time and again. Apart from being slightly flimsy, it's a good car with awesome engine.!! I ride on 195/60 r 14 tubeless over rough potholed rural roads of the mountainside and still find the ride and handling great....
Query what fog lights do I put in those cut outs? the original Baleno fogs are wayyy too expensive for me. I need good fog lights with powerful beam- white lights(?). where can I find them in Delhi or Bombay? I'm going there soon.
Old 23rd February 2006, 12:34   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the side wall height for 165/80 and 185/65 would be
165*.8 = 132 mm
185*.65 = 120.25 mm
So there's more cushioning available with the 165/80.
Oh, OK. So atleast one advantage due to my sticking to stock tyres.
Apart from better FE, that is.
I did notice that stability (esp. while cornering at high speeds) is an issue with the stock tyres. But, with news about another hike in the petrol prices (by 4-5 Rs), I am wondering whether it is not better to rather drive a little more carefully than change to wider rubber.
Old 23rd February 2006, 16:02   #30
BHPian

Quote:
It might indicate that the drop from 12.5 to 11.5 could be due to petrol being used by the workshop or the car may have been left idling for sometime.
I dunno whether petrol is used or stolen. But this happens regularly with my S10. I have found that they use about 4-5 ltrs which works out to Rs. 200-250. If they do 25 cars a day at the least, that works out to Rs. 125000 per month which could take car of salaries for at least 10 mechanics. So you see, you buy the car from them and they run their entire operation at your cost + the companies pay them as well. Very lucrative.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks