Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2011, 23:20   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 2011 Volkswagen Jetta Highline AT

Hi @Aurum,
Lovely colors on your Jetta. While finishing up the deal for my Vento, I had to visit the showroom atleast 5-6 times - everytime I used to drool over the Jetta that was parked in the showroom - it had the same color. In real, this color looks smashing!

Happy kms! And do post pics of the interiors - I remember it being wide & spacious (as compared to my Vento).
Old 10th October 2011, 10:16   #32
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations Aurum on acquiring one of my favourite sedans. The pictures don't do justice to the vehicle till you see it in the flesh. It is much more appealing to touch. Do keep us posted with more interior pictures and 'hidden" nitty gritties of the vehicle and your experiences. I am especially interested to know the experience with the DSG gearbox and how it fares in the long run after reading the stories abounding on Tbhp on the said issue.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Hi @Aurum,
Lovely colors on your Jetta. While finishing up the deal for my Vento, I had to visit the showroom atleast 5-6 times - everytime I used to drool over the Jetta that was parked in the showroom - it had the same color. In real, this color looks smashing!

Happy kms! And do post pics of the interiors - I remember it being wide & spacious (as compared to my Vento).
Thanks, ninjatalli. I have taken the interior pics, but they are still on the camera. Since I didn't transfer it over the weekend, now it will prolly take a couple of days more. My weekdays are crazy these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
Congratulations Aurum on acquiring one of my favourite sedans. The pictures don't do justice to the vehicle till you see it in the flesh. It is much more appealing to touch. Do keep us posted with more interior pictures and 'hidden" nitty gritties of the vehicle and your experiences. I am especially interested to know the experience with the DSG gearbox and how it fares in the long run after reading the stories abounding on Tbhp on the said issue.
Thanks, dkaile. You're spot on in terms of the car's impression being better in the flesh. Interior pictures coming up, but may be delayed by a couple of days or so. Have said this earlier. If my commute doesnt cook the DSG gearbox, its likely a solid piece of work. I am taking some precautions of pushing it to neutral on signals etc. Lets see. On the car, I have a few nitty gritties to report already. Was hoping to put them up today, but likely to get delayed by a couple of days.
Old 10th October 2011, 19:32   #34
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I am especially interested to know the experience with the DSG gearbox and how it fares in the long run after reading the stories abounding on Tbhp on the said issue.
Not sure if we have any reported issue (in the forum) on the 6-speed DSG box in the Jetta (and also on Laura diesel). IIRC, most of the cases reported are on the 7-speed DSG doing duty in the 1.8 Superb Petrol.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:21   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Welcome!

No this feature will not be available on TL. deepakchan's speculation of the illumination being due to fog lamps is correct. When you turn the steering, the respective fog lights turn on. And I must give credit to VW for the way in which the fog lamps turn on. Gives u nice illusion of the lights turning!

P.S. Pardon my ignorance but I always thought the auto turning of lights is possible only on projector lamps. If thats true, VW played a smart one for Jetta.
This should mean that you can notice this effect of lights turning only when your fog lamps are out/off. If they are on, then both the corners are already illuminated. Or am I missing something here.

Aurum, where are the interior pictures you took?

Just wanted to mention that you guys at Mumbai are getting a better deal with the corporate discounts. Following our talk, I confronted the Sales Manager here, and he went on to explain. Different corporates are under different schemes according to him, thus IMA/IDA personals may not get the scheme of LIC or IT firms. Not only that, different states have different amounts slated as is the Ex-showroom price different. Also the different variants g have different discounts. Here in Kerala it goes like, TL- 30000, CL - 32000, HL - 36000 and HL AT - 38000. Hope someone from Kerala can substantiate this news. Anybody from other districts in Kerala, please chip in with details.

Last edited by druk75 : 11th October 2011 at 23:28.
Old 11th October 2011, 23:42   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75

This should mean that you can notice this effect of lights turning only when your fog lamps are out/off. If they are on, then both the corners are already illuminated. Or am I missing something here.

Aurum, where are the interior pictures you took?

Just wanted to mention that you guys at Mumbai are getting a better deal with the corporate discounts. Following our talk, I confronted the Sales Manager here, and he went on to explain. Different corporates are under different schemes according to him, thus IMA/IDA personals may not get the scheme of LIC or IT firms. Not only that, different states have different amounts slated as is the Ex-showroom price different. Also the different variants g have different discounts. Here in Kerala it goes like, TL- 30000, CL - 32000, HL - 36000 and HL AT - 38000. Hope someone from Kerala can substantiate this news. Anybody from other districts in Kerala, please chip in with details.
Similar corp discounts were quoted to me here in Bangalore. Still haven't managed to land a TD though.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2011, 00:01   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Similar corp discounts were quoted to me here in Bangalore. Still haven't managed to land a TD though.
Ethan, what exactly is the supposed problem in giving a TD? No vehicle available or too many customers in Que? Or is it that they wont bring it to your doorstep? Maybe they only have the AT vehicle and you are asking for a MT Test Drive?

Its not like VW has 1000s of outlets across the country, and difficult to make TD vehicles available even after 2 months post launch! And the segment also warrants some above average behavior from the sales team, moreover I can't see hordes of people lining up to Testing a sub 20 lakh rupee car.....
Old 12th October 2011, 11:38   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
Ethan, what exactly is the supposed problem in giving a TD? No vehicle available or too many customers in Que? Or is it that they wont bring it to your doorstep? Maybe they only have the AT vehicle and you are asking for a MT Test Drive?

Its not like VW has 1000s of outlets across the country, and difficult to make TD vehicles available even after 2 months post launch! And the segment also warrants some above average behavior from the sales team, moreover I can't see hordes of people lining up to Testing a sub 20 lakh rupee car.....
I wish i knew the answer First couple of weeks, the answer i was getting was - NO TD car sir ! Then next couple of weeks - Sir, we are not sending outside showroom for TD. Then when i land up at the showroom - Sir, car has gone out/in workshop, please schedule a TD by calling up. When i call up to schedule, the lady always takes down my number and tells me someone will call me back, but no one does. Sometimes - Sir we only have a AT for TD, no MT yet; will take 2-3 months to get a MT for TD.

I finally sent a stinker to VW through their website yesterday morning and got a call from VW Downtown in the evening - lady says she will call me today morning and schedule a TD.

Either the 3 dealers are sharing one car for TD or they have only AT for TD or they dont think it's worth the effort to give a TD of Jetta. Anyways thanks to the attitude of the sales guys at VW, Jetta has slipped to the bottom of my shortlist.
Old 12th October 2011, 15:31   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
I wish i knew the answer First couple of weeks, the answer i was getting was - NO TD car sir ! Then next couple of weeks - Sir, we are not sending outside showroom for TD. Then when i land up at the showroom - Sir, car has gone out/in workshop, please schedule a TD by calling up. When i call up to schedule, the lady always takes down my number and tells me someone will call me back, but no one does. Sometimes - Sir we only have a AT for TD, no MT yet; will take 2-3 months to get a MT for TD.

I finally sent a stinker to VW through their website yesterday morning and got a call from VW Downtown in the evening - lady says she will call me today morning and schedule a TD.

Either the 3 dealers are sharing one car for TD or they have only AT for TD or they dont think it's worth the effort to give a TD of Jetta. Anyways thanks to the attitude of the sales guys at VW, Jetta has slipped to the bottom of my shortlist.

Hey, do not let the attitude of a sore dealer spoil your intentions. The Jetta is really worth the trouble we put up with. Do try and get a TD, at least of the AT model. I'm sure you'd be blown away. Anyway, its understandable that all dealers are sharing one MT TD car. Its really on short supply.
Old 12th October 2011, 16:06   #40
Senior - BHPian

Is Jetta a good car ? No doubt.
Is it so much better than Laura and Cruze to put up with such lousy attitude of the dealer ? I don't think so

Plus imagine, if this is the dealer situation when i am dangling 15L in front of them; how would they behave once they have my money in their pocket !

So for now - If diesel - Cruze, if petrol - Laura TSi, if SUV - XUV500
Old 13th October 2011, 00:38   #41
BHPian

I would definitely agree with your 2nd and 3rd options right away. Spot on....

But I do not think the Cruze is the best (read VFM) diesel car out there in that segment. Of course, its to each his own, but I feel if you are looking at FTD factor, solid build, space, good ride and handling, safety, quality interiors, (well, for me, the list would just go on and on and on... sorry) the Jetta it is. If you like lazy driving, cushion effect, mostly chauffeur driven, great FE, Altis is the one. Get the Fluence for the chicness, solid build, good handling, good economy, and if you want to feel unique. Cruze is a diesel rocket which you go for, if you want brute force, its like an untamed and powerful bear, difficult to keep under reins, but joyful at the same time, and if you are ready to handle the unforgiving clutch, average barking, turbo lag poor FE, and of course the small car feel once inside. Laura you would forget altogether, since there is the elder brother with whom you have peace of mind, (read no horror stories... yet) and a person capable of shelling out 15 lakh plus, wouldn't mind another 40k for the VW badge and the frills attached.

Just my opinion.... please feel free to disagree.

Last edited by druk75 : 13th October 2011 at 00:41.
Old 13th October 2011, 12:01   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post
I would definitely agree with your 2nd and 3rd options right away. Spot on....

But I do not think the Cruze is the best (read VFM) diesel car out there in that segment. Of course, its to each his own, but I feel if you are looking at FTD factor, solid build, space, good ride and handling, safety, quality interiors, (well, for me, the list would just go on and on and on... sorry) the Jetta it is. If you like lazy driving, cushion effect, mostly chauffeur driven, great FE, Altis is the one. Get the Fluence for the chicness, solid build, good handling, good economy, and if you want to feel unique. Cruze is a diesel rocket which you go for, if you want brute force, its like an untamed and powerful bear, difficult to keep under reins, but joyful at the same time, and if you are ready to handle the unforgiving clutch, average barking, turbo lag poor FE, and of course the small car feel once inside. Laura you would forget altogether, since there is the elder brother with whom you have peace of mind, (read no horror stories... yet) and a person capable of shelling out 15 lakh plus, wouldn't mind another 40k for the VW badge and the frills attached.

Just my opinion.... please feel free to disagree.
I drive a Cedia currently, so you can imagine my reaction to Altis/Fluence IMHO these are cars for my grand-dad, not me !!

Cruze is indeed a rocket - Poor FE doesnt matter as its a diesel and i am used to fuel sipping petrols, clutch is a issue but not too big, i didnt find lag annoying and i will be 100% on driver's seat with 95% only 2 people in the car so back space doesnt concern me.

Laura - Classy looking (as good if not better than Jetta IMHO), interiors are a grade above Jetta. Only issue is i dont want a DSG and MT has detuned engine. I dont think VW badge is worth 40k premium in India over Skoda and as far horror stories are concerned, touchwood but dealers in Blr seem to have a good reputation as well as peace of mind with Skoda Shield. Plus looking at pre-sale experience of VW dealers compared to Skoda dealers gives me far more confidence in buying a Laura over a Jetta.

Having said that, lets not crap this ownership thread with more OT discussions, Jetta is a fine car indeed and lets move our discussion to Jetta review thread !
Old 13th October 2011, 19:01   #43
BHPian

What's that message which pops up in the mid "check deadlock - refer owners manual" I didn't find anything related to it in the fast flipping of the manual. I don't know what I should do. Looks like a warning and not just some info.
Old 13th October 2011, 19:40   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepakchan View Post
What's that message which pops up in the mid "check deadlock - refer owners manual" I didn't find anything related to it in the fast flipping of the manual. I don't know what I should do. Looks like a warning and not just some info.
Even I had this question in my mind all the time. On searching on the web I found this explanation:

Quote:
Apparently it's a new 'feature' to warn you that the doors will be deadlocked when you lock them... In case you have kids in the car, you lock the car to go do something and something happens to the car, the kids won't be able to exit the car because it's deadlocked and the unlock button inside on the drivers door won't open the doors when it's deadlocked.

Apparently most cars with a deadlock you have to press the key twice to activate the deadlock, whereas with VW you only press it once, hence VW feel the need to warn you of the risk of deadlocks... using a message that makes you think something's wrong with the car... Go figure... It apparently is referred to in the Owner's Manual as 'Safelock'
I'd read about this feature once in a Superb manual too.

I do not know how reliable this info is. However I can confirm one thing: If the car is remote locked, there is no way you can unlock the doors from inside that i know of.
lamboguy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th October 2011, 19:42   #45
BHPian

Slick looking Jetta. Very unique color. Congrats!

Last edited by silverblue : 13th October 2011 at 20:10.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks