Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th November 2011, 14:18   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Miscellaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFrancis View Post
Other

So if anyone is planning on installing a HID kit into your stock reflector setup - Don't do it.
Not only does it blind the oncoming traffic, but it also has lousy functionality. The high beam only increases the intensity of the light, but not the throw of the beam. Only way I can increase the throw of the beam is by adjusting the reflector angle. Waste of Rs. 10000.

Saw this thread -and decided to do the same.
Got the Hella E-55 projectors, will use the existing Philips ballasts, and since I can't use the existing H4 bulbs, the new whiter Morimoto 5000k D2S bulbs are on the way. Will keep you guys updated on the install!

Meanwhile, here are pics of the projector -
Attachment 837255

Attachment 837256
Well penned down chris especially the "stick" version,can you tell me from where did you purchase the hella projectors from,i would love to have them on my swift di.Waiting for your updates.
rakesh_r is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2011, 15:29   #17
BHPian

Re: Miscellaneous

Quote:
Originally Posted by rakesh_r View Post
Well penned down chris especially the "stick" version,can you tell me from where did you purchase the hella projectors from,i would love to have them on my swift di.Waiting for your updates.
Thanks!
I got the projectors from here
But I won't recommend it for the following two reasons.
1. They're second hand.
2. They don't come with bulbs, ballasts, etc.

Most of the Projectors use only D2S bulbs, and getting them locally is very difficult and expensive! And if you want to source them from abroad, you'll again have to pay for the shipping which adds to the overall cost. So the better thing to do would be to buy an entire set (Projectors, Ballasts, Bezels, Bulbs, Adapters, etc), at one go. And most of the ebay sellers don't provide that.

I came across a site called The Retrofit Source which provides the entire component kit. You also have the freedom to choose the Lens, Make/Colour of the bulbs, etc., and the prices are very reasonable too.
I ended up buying my bulbs from there, and their sales support team is very good! They even provided me with various manuals, and links to their YouTube channel on how to install the Projectors!

So if I was you, I'd get my stuff from there.
Otherwise, since you have a swift, there are tons of aftermarket projector headlamps available at the local accessory shops. It would be a lot easier to install too. The only downside is that it is more expensive, and you cannot choose the individual components. So the lens and bulbs that you get, may not be of a good quality.
ChrisFrancis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2015, 19:20   #18

Re: Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!

Quote:
Our SX4 just completed 60000 kms in the 4+ years that we've had the car, so I thought I’d write an ownership review!

What I like.
  • The VFM pricing.
  • Reliability.
  • Low maintenance costs and Maruti's brilliant service network.
  • Brakes.
  • Responsive engine.
  • Ground clearance.
  • Ingress/Egress.

What I don't.
  • A slightly hard clutch.
  • Useless headlights and fog lamps.
  • Fuel efficiency.

Attachment 844631

History

Please keep in mind that we bought this car, before I was aware of Team-BHP. So please don’t curse me for my lack of research during the buying process!

So yeah.
Sometime during the beginning of 2007, my dad got a job very close to our apartment, and hence our Qualis was not being put to much use. And our second car - a WagonR was hardly being used either. I think between the two cars, our monthly usage was about 750-1000 Kms. Or even lesser.

Anyway, The Qualis had been discontinued, and the Innova had been launched (Which my parents fell in love with!). My dad did not want to lose money on the Qualis, so the decision was made to sell it immediately. And around the same time, the WagonR had been given a facelift too. So we decided to sell both the vehicles, and replace it with one nice comfortable car.

We contacted Nandi Toyota, and the Qualis was sold within the same week.

A few weeks passed and we were back at the showroom to book the Innova. While over there, I sat in the Corolla.
And then suddenly, the thought of owning a sedan seemed so perfect!

I mean, we are a family of three. What was the need of buying a huge eight seater vehicle!

Also, I was just about to turn 16. Two more years and I would start driving.
And I sure as hell knew that my parents wouldn’t buy me a new car then. So if we bought the Innova, THAT would be my first car.

So I did what any other sensible teenager would have done. I rebelled!
My SX4 too completed 59300 KMS gave for servicing, costed me around 22k, clutch plate changed, all oil filters and oil change, still need to change battery. I guess now Maruti Service is becoming equally costly when compared to other cars in the market.
Old 8th February 2016, 01:09   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranms View Post
My SX4 too completed 59300 KMS gave for servicing, costed me around 22k, clutch plate changed, all oil filters and oil change, still need to change battery. I guess now Maruti Service is becoming equally costly when compared to other cars in the market.
Your clutch should have lasted longer than that. I have an SX4 and have driven about 75000Kms. It is Aug 2007 Model. Haven't changed the clutch and the Service Manager told me that its good to run another 30000Kms if run the same way. Usually a 60k service has Engine oil, Gear Oil, Coolant, Brake & Clutch oils changed. This costs about Rs 7000/- which is quiet economical.
Old 14th July 2024, 16:56   #20
BHPian

Sweet 16!

A lot has happened over the last 10+ years, highlights being
  • I got a job at the Ford Manufacturing Plant in Sanand (An incredible experience).
  • Did an MBA, and switched fields.
  • And then more recently - got married.
Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-50bd340ff45c449093f30a4579170975.png.jpg

Good ol' Suzy has been by my side throughout. The car turns 16 in August, and is still going strong as our primary car. Everything still works the way its supposed to - A testament to the fantastic reliability of Maruti.
I've changed the seat covers, added a blaupunkt touchscreen system, and upgraded to projector LED fog lamps to spruce things up. Mechanically, the car remains stock with just the regular preventive maintenance being done (Clutch plate being the only major replacement that comes to mind). She now runs on Continental tires which are very quiet.

To celebrate her birthday, we got a bit of touch up and detailing done. I'm obviously biased, but I think the SX4 is a great looking car even today.

Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-whatsapp-image-20240714-4.17.32-pm-2.jpg

Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-33.jpg

Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-whatsapp-image-20240714-4.17.32-pm-1.jpeg

Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-whatsapp-image-20240714-4.18.02-pm-2.jpeg

We've booked a Toyota Hycross and should get it by the end of the year, but Suzy will continue to be part of our garage for the foreseeable future. Maintenance costs may be higher now, but nobody at home has any issues whatsoever. This is a special car, and is part of our family.

Last edited by ChrisFrancis : 14th July 2024 at 16:58.
ChrisFrancis is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 09:19   #21

You are not biased Chris. SX4 is really a great looking car and had a macho image which wasn't something we were used to at that time.

That's a true specimen of a well maintained vehicle and a friend of mine drives a black one in Bangalore and echoes the same feeling.

One question - Do you stick to ASC or visit a reliable FNG in Pune?

Last edited by KarthikK : 18th July 2024 at 09:23.
sanjoyraju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 09:31   #22
BHPian

SX4 was, is and will be the best car! It is a sedan with 200mm ground clearance, 16" wheels, back seat like an ambassador! I just love this car
RenuKumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 18:06   #23

Re: Sweet 16!

Quote:
A lot has happened over the last 10+ years, highlights being
  • I got a job at the Ford Manufacturing Plant in Sanand (An incredible experience).
  • Did an MBA, and switched fields.
  • And then more recently - got married.
Congrats Chris from another SX4 enthusiast. I have a 15 yr old SX4 Zxi 2010 Feb model Eclair Brown in stock conditon with 31893 on the odo. I am just inspired by such stories. Pls tell me what did you get changed to make it looks so good?!!
Attached Thumbnails
Long Term Ownership review of my Maruti SX4!-img_20240124_192547_4842.jpg  

yelandur is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2024, 21:45   #24
BHPian

This car was my absolute dream car back when it came out in my college days. The original black iteration of the SX4 in Black with those slick alloys still make my heart jump a beat whenever I come across one. It was way out of budget then, we had to make do with a VXI Swift, still wish that I had owned one.

A huge props to you for maintaining the car so well! In no ways does the car look 16 years old, maybe at max a couple of years old. If I were you, I would never let this car ago, I don’t think you should either!
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 20:32   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoyraju View Post
That's a true specimen of a well maintained vehicle and a friend of mine drives a black one in Bangalore and echoes the same feeling.

One question - Do you stick to ASC or visit a reliable FNG in Pune?
Thank you! We used to send our car to Tune Up Plus in Balewadi. Mr. Lonkar and his team really gave the car a new lease of life when we first went to them in 2016. I'm currently in the other end of the city, so I've been going to Alpha Motors in Kharadi. There too Mr. Rajinder and his team are very knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yelandur View Post
Congrats Chris from another SX4 enthusiast. I have a 15 yr old SX4 Zxi 2010 Feb model Eclair Brown in stock conditon with 31893 on the odo. I am just inspired by such stories. Pls tell me what did you get changed to make it looks so good?!!
Thank you. I love the Gen2 SX4 that you have. The front grill was the best amongst all the generations IMO.
We get the yearly polishing done and park the car in a covered spot wherever possible. I'm also quite OCD about cleanliness so that kinda helps too .
Unfortunately our parking is right where the kids play in our apartment complex, so it does get the occasional scribble or scratch from a cycle. We get them repainted during the annual service if very visible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
A huge props to you for maintaining the car so well! In no ways does the car look 16 years old, maybe at max a couple of years old. If I were you, I would never let this car ago, I don’t think you should either!
Thank you! We've been lucky to have had 1.4L kms of hassle free ownership and some wonderful memories along the way. This car holds a lot of sentimental value to us, so she's not going anywhere

Last edited by ChrisFrancis : 24th July 2024 at 20:36.
ChrisFrancis is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th July 2024, 20:46   #26
BHPian

Good to see SX4 going strong.

I had a SX4 from 2013 to 2017. Got it with 48000 kms on the odometer and sold it with 110000 kms. Trouble-free ownership and the GC that could gulp all adventures.

Was replaced with a SCross 1.6 !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks