Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd December 2011, 13:55   #1
BANNED

Indigo eCS LX - Long Term Ownership

Hi Friends,

I am starting this new thread on a long term ownership review of my Indigo eCS LX. I am adding the contents of my earlier thread here so that it completes the picture.

I purchased a Sterling Gold Indigo eCS on 24 Aug 2010 from Tayal Motors, Faridabad (the only CSD dealer in Delhi area). I have since driven the car about 13000 kms and would like to share my experience with others through this forum.

1. Exterior - The paint quality is top class, the colour is soothing (and great to hide dust and scratches ). The car has body coloured bumpers, ORVMs with side indicators (electrically controlled), central locking (with key). My car came with Good Year GT3 tubeless radials. The front fog lamps are a neat touch, and the overall fit and finish is good. The headlights are a delight - twin beams, for low and high, BOTH coming on for high beam (highly required in "blind driver's paradise - Delhi). The windscreen and all other glasses are SAINT GOBAIN SECURIT make, wipers Syndicate. The Horn is pleasing, yet loud enough (again , a mandatory requirement in Delhi).

2. Interior - The dash and side panels are beige plastic, the central console is matt beige with fake wood interior, housing the familiar ac vents, switches and the 1-DIN TATA CLARION CD/Radio unit. It glows blue during operation and the LCD display is white. The car comes with two rear mounted and two dash mounted speakers, with above average audio quality, though no boom-boom bass effects (common in Delhi). The radio has an internal antenna, quite sufficient for Delhi and surroundings. Seats are fabric, well padded and comfortable. (My one day drive from Mount Abu to Delhi , 849 kms without a broken back speaks miles of the comfortable seats and driving position). The AC is fantastic - it cools the interior fast and I have not yet used the blower beyond position 2 and the temp control - one notch less than max cool. The leather wrapped steering feels nice, as is the gearshift, although the steering wheel gets pretty hot when left out in the sun. Panel gaps - are there, but do not merit crying hoarse about them, they are functionally OK. The IC is typical safari borrowed - there are two trip meters, a boon when you have to calculate trip dist and fuel avg both. Driver door seat belt warning, warning lamp on the IC avl. The power window controls are on the lower console, near the gear shift, requires getting used to. There is a 12 V lighted output on the console too. The glove box is spacious and the pockets on the doors (front) can hold all the maps, magazines, wiping cloth, gear shift lock handle, etc. The rear bench is comfortable (same as in the Indica / Indigo) and flips forward to access the boot. The boot is spacious, a BIG 30 " soft suitcase goes in length-wise with two big duffel bags. Smaller handbags, carry bags can then be stuffed in too. IMO, enough for a car. The disadvantage wrt my Indica - the hatch with flipped down seats can take in voluminous luggage (an air cooler or an AC), whereas the sedan cannot. The tail lights are bright and well integrated with the body, again, the fit and finish is comparable to any other in the segment.

3. Engine - I simply love the CR4 ! Having driven my Indica DLE of 2002, the performance of this engine simply blows you away ! It does not feel strained, there is NO ac drop in performance, although with a full load of passengers and the ac at full blast, you may feel a drop in the throttle response. Most of the sensors used are of BOSCH, Germany, the ECU is a Delphi unit. The engine is silent, and the ggzzzz... noise is music to my ears ! It has a very linear power delivery, accelerates well in all gears, although 1 is only for starts - low gearing. gear shifting is miles ahead of the Indica I have, is precise and I have never missed a gear, maybe because I am used to it. There is no dead pedal - felt the need when i did 849 kms in a day ! The lever positioning is OK, i had only a dull pain in my right heel (in keeping the throttle pressed on that drive). The engine compartment is not messy and the reach of most electronic components is good / visible. The CR unit has necessitated a change of engine oil lever tube shape and the oil and diesel filters that were so easily visible in the Indica are not visible now, obscured by the CR unit. The engine has a neat black plastic cover, though no DiCOR or CR4 monograms on it - pure functionality, eh ? TATA have ensured adequacy of plastic / metal engine components covers, which are missing TOTALLY even in the Etios V version - NO under engine, sump, belt / pulley covers at all ! I have found these covers to be useful, especially when driving on dusty roads and during monsoons. The drive assist feature is useful in Delhi, to cruise along without having to downshift (especially when on the phone - not recommended for safety reasons, though). It works like this - leave the throttle, the engine slows down the car and just when you thought it would stall, it increases the rpm slightly and keeps going, without throttle inputs - till you de-clutch.

4. I have done 3 free services till date, covered 13XXX kms till now, with oil change at 10000 kms (3rd service). TATA dealers now use Mobil EXXON 15W40 instead of HP Milcy / Castrol GTX used earlier.

5. Fuel Efficiency - The car returned about 18.5-19.5 kpl in winter (normal diesel, TATA does NOT recommend diesel with additives) and was hoping that the efficiency would fall in summers (full time ac usage). However, I was wrong, the car returns about a kpl less in summers, 17.5-18 kpl). The idle speed with clutch depressed (in gear or neutral) hovers around 900 rpm, leave the clutch (in neutral), the rpm drops to 850, ac or no ac - wonder how ? The fuel guage is very accurate - I can predict to a litre the amount it would fill in now !

6. Long trips - One to Mount Abu in rajasthan (760 kms onward via Ajmer) and 849 kms on return (via Udaipur), both stretches done in one day each. The engine is simply fantastic - it cruises at 110-120 kmph with 5 adults and a boot full of luggage, including cola bottles, washer fluid, etc. The return stretch via udaipur was simply great, it returned 18.98 kpl, with the ac on all the time and a 30 min traffic jam near Jaipur. The second trip was to Lansdowne in Uttarakhand, 280 kms from Delhi vis Bijnor, Najibabad, Kotdwar. similar fuel averafes - 18.5-19.5 kpl. The engine has enough low end grunt, climbs slopes easily, does not require much throttle in lower gears. The brakes are good and provide good stopping. The car is well poised and does not tend to skid even on hard braking (maybe that was because I had a full load of passengers ?)

6. Problems faced - There was a brake shudder during the Abu trip, which was rectified (wheel were balanced) during 3rd service. En-route ABU, the orange Engine check lamp came ON - I checked everything I could, the lamp just remained ON, without any change in engine running or performance - this got self rectified on the 3rd day. The dealer rep told me it was probably due to ingress of moisture in some sensor / fuel sensor. Believed him, maybe due to moisture in fuel - the HP bunks en route seemed shady. The problem has not re-occurred since (I fill only at IOC pumps in Delhi). I have tried at the BP COCO at Vasant Vihar too - the IOC ones give good mileage - can't explain why - maybe just a mindset ?

I will upload photos, will take more of the interior, engine bay, etc and post subsequently. The existing ones are too big - will have to downsize them.

Hope it is useful to forum readers. IMO, NO CAR PROVIDES THE FEATURES, FUNCTIONALITY AND EFFICIENCY THIS ONE DOES - with an On Road price of Rs 4.89 Lakhs, regd in Gurgaon.

OK. Here goes - I have since driven the car to 17900 kms, in Delhi / NCR areas only. The fuel averages have remained a consistent 17.5 - 18 (with A/C ON all the time). That sounds reasonable, given that I have just crossed a summer in Delhi. To remove the IOC mindset I had, I experimented with BP and HP fuel stations - the car gives similar consumption figures - so there goes the mindset. The Good Year tyres are neat and confidence inspiring - while braking suddenly. I have had a motorcyclist trying to rush past whilst I was turning left, resulting in him grazing past my left fender. The muffler / foot pedals must have hit the wheel cap, causing it to crack (although a piece has fallen off, the cover remains fitted). I have an observation. The wiper blades if used daily with the washer fluid remain rubbery and do not turn hard. I clean the windscreen daily with the washer and have the jets directed to the centre for effective cleaning of the glass.

Had a look at the eCS VX in the winter camp. The body is the same, the interior looks better, there is a rear armrest, and ABS (the major change). Keyless entry and a better music system seemed to round off the other goodies.

Failures. The front left window unit used to move with jerks and got stuck in the open position last week during the TATA Winter Check up Camp-cum-Exchange Mela. It was promptly replaced under warranty at the dealership. In addition, the driver door open lever often makes a false opening (the lever operates but the door locks do not operate). Will have this checked / replaced during my next visit / service.

Sandy
lifebuoy is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd December 2011, 00:53   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Indigo eCS LX - Long Term Ownership

good review mate ; do post pics of the interior,exterior,the engine bay and the boot

You'll need to be watchful once the car crosses three years.
Old 7th February 2012, 17:44   #3
BANNED

Hi guys,

Just crossed 20,000 km and had the fourth and last free service done. Fuel filter replacement costs appx 1600/- rest costs were nominal. The front door latch was examined - guess what ! It is two-stop feature present in all LS / LX models - one pull, the driver door unlocks, two pulls and it unlocks all four doors. Thoughtful enough, but TATA does not specify that in their manuals - Maruti would have added it to their feature list for the new Dzire - the 151th ! Checked about four other cars at the workshop - all have the same "feature".

FE remains at 18-19 kpl (without A/C) during the winter. One of my GT3s now have a problem of air leakage at a slow rate. COuld be a puncture - would get it examined from Good Year service tomorrow.

Sandy
Old 7th February 2012, 23:11   #4
BHPian

Hi Sandy,

Good review! Will be waiting for the pics. I have a second-hand (2009) CS Lx which is serving me well. It would be nice to compare the paid service charges of the CR4 vs the TDI. Like you have experienced yourself, this is a good car and I hope TATA will make it even better by bringing it out with the same fit level as the Manza or the Vista -- engine wise and gizmo wise. Introduction of ABS in the newer models is a step in the right direction.
Old 8th February 2012, 01:45   #5
Senior - BHPian

What I liked about the Indica / Indigo CR4 range of engines /gearboxes is the tall gearing. My Palio Multijet does 100kph at 2500 RPM in 5th gear while the CR4 gearbox does it in like 2250 RPM. I agree its just a 10% difference but makes a difference while cruising at 110 kph. The engine is smooth and the gearbox is much better. The CR4 seems to be a good engine and I haven't heard of anyone suffering from its maintenance related issues like the owners of the infamous Indica / Indigo 1.4 DiCOR.
Old 8th February 2012, 15:57   #6
BANNED

Hi architect,

I agree with your views. The CR4 is a much relaxed performer, although I have not experienced the earlier DiCOR engines. The "hill climb assist" feature also comes in handy - a typical situation - climbing up from a basement parking - my CS does it cleanly in 2nd gear, whether a ramp type or a circular climb type - NO THROTTLE or CLUTCH controlling required at all ! Wonder why the utility of this feature is not advertised enough ?
Old 8th February 2012, 16:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
and the gearbox is much better.
Much better than what? The earlier Indica gearbox or the Palio gearbox?
Old 8th February 2012, 21:54   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifebuoy View Post
The "hill climb assist" feature also comes in handy - a typical situation - climbing up from a basement parking - my CS does it cleanly in 2nd gear, whether a ramp type or a circular climb type - NO THROTTLE or CLUTCH controlling required at all ! Wonder why the utility of this feature is not advertised enough ?
Ummm.... that is not a "hill climb assist feature" (unless there is something mentioned as such). That is just the ECU increasing the RPM so that the car doesn't stall, I suppose you won't be able to do it in the 3rd gear, only 1st and 2nd.

"Hill Start / Stop assist" is a feature of AT gearboxes which helps you start without slipping backwards when the car is standing on a slope. Typically, in a manual, you would have ridden the clutch till the point where the car gathered enough torque to start climbing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by directinjection View Post
Much better than what? The earlier Indica gearbox or the Palio gearbox?
Old Indica / Indigo non-DiCOR gearboxes. The Palio gearbox may leave a lot to be desired, but was better than the Indica gearbox.
Old 9th February 2012, 07:51   #9
BHPian

Nice crisp ownership experience lifebuoy. 4.89 onroad is realy attractive. What kmpl are you getting during city runs now.
Old 9th February 2012, 09:55   #10
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
Nice crisp ownership experience lifebuoy. 4.89 onroad is realy attractive. What kmpl are you getting during city runs now.
I am getting 18 kpl on the avg in Delhi.
Old 10th February 2012, 06:33   #11
BHPian

18 Kmpl is an awesome figure for city driving.
Old 17th February 2012, 21:50   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSEA View Post
18 Kmpl is an awesome figure for city driving.
Figures for 17 Feb 2012 - 500.8 km / 27.04 L - normal diesel = 18.52 kpl in Delhi (daily crossing the torrid RTR flyover !!)
Old 25th April 2013, 16:01   #13
BHPian

Hi Lifebuoy,

Any updates on your car. Am planning to invest in the same car as you.
Old 5th May 2013, 10:30   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hi Lifebuoy,

Hi TorqMaster,

Very rare statement there - No one has said so frankly ! Thanks for considering the eCS. The car is a great one, I would recommend you to take the VX variant with ABS and alloys.

The looks department is Vanilla - familiar now. The plus points:
1. Twin beam headlamps - which means BOTH high and LOW beams come on at the same time, when in HIGH beam. Definately reqd in Delhi ! Good spread, although the Manza / Vista is better (to blind the on-comer).

2. Value for money. Nothing comes even close to this fact. The engine is a stable and no-nonsense unit. Problems till date - the coolant / water pump failed once (was replaced in extended warranty promptly). The Indica-Indigo belt-loose-screeching-noise did come on, but was due to the pump fitting, as said, a loose belt, was rectified by tightening the belt.

3. FE remains hovering around 18-19 kpl in Delhi / Noida conditions. Considering heavy AC usages in summer, i am quite satisfied with these figures.

4. Body - No major issues so far. The side view mirror covers (Sterling Gold coloured) were broken (one by a call centre Xylo, another by a motorbike), but the mirrors are intact, the turn indicators still work (one side, other side damaged). There are no noises, rattles, etc. Excepting regular (service schedule dictated) wheel balancing / alignment, NO uneven tread wear or other problems noticed. Anti - rust treatment also deadens outside noise to an extent. The left front window movement got stuck, replaced under warranty (i guess after about a year).

5. TATA provided stereo and speakers, etc all work the same, almost three years now. If anything needs improvement, its TATA's service network and quality, they should replicate the Maruti model, in my opinion, although they are not far behind.

6. The Good YEar GT3s are excellent tyres, 35K and still going strong.

All in all, it's a workhorse. For the price, I don't think there's a better option. You may consider the DZire VDi as well, if you can stand the looks and can do with lesser space and comfort. The other workhorse (yet higher priced) is the Verito.
Old 5th May 2013, 12:05   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqMaster View Post
Hi Lifebuoy,

Its just a great car and as suggested above, go for the VX variant. Its worth a money in all aspects.
I was given a Indigo eCS VX as a spare car while my Safari was in service a couple of months back, I should confess, not so 100% willing to give it back to them to take my safari back ! Its a great car to drive within the city with all the necessary comforts at decent speeds across gear.
Very comfortable, spacious and needful features make this a good buy altogether.

Prem.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks