Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th August 2012, 11:13   #76
Senior - BHPian

re: Skoda Laura Ambiente TDI MT - Ownership Experience. EDIT: Now sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodred View Post
IThat's a serious rip-off pricing. Just checked on changemytyres.com, the pricing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth View Post
I think your tyre dealer is taking you for a ride! If I recall when I had done the same chageover on my Laura in Mar 2012, I got a tradeback value of
I dont think his tyre dealer is taking him for a ride or anything, seems you missed the fact that he has bought a Elegance trim which comes shod with 205/55 R16 which is a rare and unique size and only a few companies make tyres for such sizes.

Even on change my tyre, the cost of 205/55 R16 is nothing below 9500 so he will have to shell out that much to change to Michelins.

@Dezrskb
Michelins have a little delicate sidewall so if going for it, be careful around potholes, else they have all positives attached to it.
coolboy007 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 13:39   #77
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
I dont think his tyre dealer is taking him for a ride or anything, seems you missed the fact that he has bought a Elegance trim which comes shod with 205/55 R16 which is a rare and unique size and only a few companies make tyres for such sizes.
Yups that's an oversight resulting in wrong comparison.

Still, would not harm in checking for what should be the rough difference with a BHPian who's in tyres business and then take a call.
Old 26th August 2012, 15:27   #78
BHPian

Hi Coolboy,
You are right. I have now already talked to 3 dealers in Mangalore and another 3 in Bangalore by phone. All are consistently quoting 9.6K/ new Michelin PLC tire. Buy back price is varied but highest I got is 4.5 K . That means I have to shell out 20K to get 4 tires. Guys is it worth that? Not that I can't afford it. it makes hell and heaven of a difference?
I was also told that Bridgestone too makes a similar sized tire but cost seems to be 9250 (almost same). Now guys, putting thinner or smaller Michelin tire on this car (Elegance trim) which comes from factory in 205/55 R16s is not good idea I think.
Also do you think 205/55 R16 gives better ride quality when compared to 195/15 if both are from Goodyear?

Also do you people think activating Daytime Running Lights is a good idea? Is there a special bulb which does this job? If not, then usage of this shortens lifespan of the bulb? I agree definitely that it enhances the looks and gives is a premium feel to have DRLs

If the asking price for exchanging tires is 20K for 4 tires, I think I will go on GY NCTs till they wear out.
As you have mentioned, this seems to be some special size and I think whichever brand makes this, it will be priced in the same range of 9k-9.6K

Last edited by dezrskb : 26th August 2012 at 15:39.
Old 26th August 2012, 16:45   #79
Senior - BHPian

@behemoth - Apologies for going OT on your thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Guys is it worth that? Not that I can't afford it. it makes hell and heaven of a difference?
Buddy its entirely upto you, there is a difference, how much only Behemoth and others who shifted to Michelins can tell you. 20k for a tyre exchange is quite steep though, Goodyears are normal tyres or you can say the Ambiente trim of Laura, they do their job but as they are hard compound, they will make more noise, lesser grip than Michelin and a little poorer ride quality whereas Michelins are L&K with a lot of added features

What you gain in advantage is that they are sturdy enough and can withstand a lot of abuse, if you go to places full of potholes or bad roads, i would suggest being wary with Michelin as they have a soft sidewall prone to damage or cuts. I also wanted Michelin for my Vento but opted for Bridgestones after considering the roads i ponder on.

Have a Linea done 36k on Goodyears and they are good enough, grip is okay, the only issue being tyre noise on higher side.

Quote:
Now guys, putting thinner or smaller Michelin tire on this car (Elegance trim) which comes from factory in 205/55 R16s is not good idea I think.
Also do you think 205/55 R16 gives better ride quality when compared to 195/15 if both are from Goodyear
Dont even think of downsizing, doesnt make any sense. The 15" alloys would definitely have a plusher ride compared to 16" but its not a vast difference.

Quote:
Also do you people think activating Daytime Running Lights is a good idea? Is there a special bulb which does this job? If not, then usage of this shortens lifespan of the bulb?
Do get it activated, it looks cool and gives the car a high end look. Dont worry about burnt lamps etc, these cars are known for their build quality and such small things wont bother you.

Quote:
As you have mentioned, this seems to be some special size and I think whichever brand makes this, it will be priced in the same range of 9k-9.6K
You are worrying too much, just relax and enjoy your Laura , it will remain a Laura, be it goodyear or michelin. Dont think too much about it, if you dont think the tyre upgrade is worth 20k, dont do it, drive 100-200 kms on Goodyears and if you feel they are really poor, change them.

Just forget about tyres and enjoy your car.
Old 26th August 2012, 19:08   #80
BHPian

Thanks coolboy!
well, I have already forgotten about tires now thanks to your suggestion.
I have another query though a foolish question, but it was asked by the dealer and has started bugging me -
If I have option of changing my option from Elegance MT to Elegance AT if I can afford it, should I do it?
Its stupid to ask what would you people have done if you could do it? but I would like to ask the same.
Old 26th August 2012, 19:25   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb
If I have option of changing my option from Elegance MT to Elegance AT if I can afford it, should I do it?
If I were to buy a TDI, it would have been an AT without doubt. It's more powerful than MT, very quick, comfortable to drive and reliable. If you are putting that kind of money on the table, think you should go for AT.

Go through team bhp moderator .anshuman's thread to see a detailed perspective. His is around two years old now and he's been one happy AT customer.
bloodred is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2012, 19:33   #82
BHPian

Hi bloodred,
You know, I sat on this fence of AT Vs MT for quite long time. My only issue was with reliability. But there was at least one BHPian whose Diesel Laura 6 speed DSG failed (some megaclutch failure if I remember the term right) if I remember correctly. That made me think again and again. Ultimately I decided on MT though I really wished to have an AT and though I could afford it. Now I am climbing the fence again . Dealer is also helping me climb the fence by offering his hand from above
I have read each and every post on this forum available on Laura, DSG, AT Vs MT etc.

Edit: I got the thread. It was manson's CR 140 whose DSG had failed !

Last edited by dezrskb : 26th August 2012 at 19:39.
Old 26th August 2012, 20:13   #83
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dezrskb View Post
Edit: I got the thread. It was manson's CR 140 whose DSG had failed !
Even member carmania's DSG had failed - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2601893.

DSG is not entirely reliable but get the Skoda Shield with 4 year warranty and if i were you and i could put that extra amount, there is no doubt that i would have opted for a DSG. Its a delight and you have the convenience of an AT + 30 horses extra. I know some DSG's are unreliable but you have the 4 years warranty with you, the AT Laura is just so much fun. Go for it.
Old 22nd June 2013, 01:08   #84
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,
Loved the pics of the Ruby Raptor as much as I loved reading the comparison with the Yeti. I have been following your earlier posts on the Yeti too....as I have followed some of the other Laura threads. However, have been able to join this privileged club only recently - and this happens to be my 1st post on this community.

Hello Everyone Else,
I have a Black Laura TDI Ambient which is going to do 2 yrs in July. Its a fun car to drive and have not really had any issues - except 2 problems which I am not sure if any other Laura owner has experienced and if yes, have you been able to get a resolution?

Problem 1:
While cruising at approx 75 to 90 on the 5th - without even trying to floor the pedal - I suddenly tend to get slight/moderate jerks. It does not happen always, but maybe 1 in 5 instances. And have noticed it to happen when I am doing a relaxed cruise around that speed on 5th. Goes away the moment I downshift - but don't think 70+ speed demands being on 4th. Any thoughts? Skoda Service (Giriraj Auto) said I have been driving at the wrong gear at that speed and totally discounted the problem.

Problem 2:
My car's A/C gives a dusty smell at specific times. Here's specific sequence when this happens:

Switch on AC in re-circulation Mode > Switch it off after say 15 mins while its still in re-circulation mode > Just let the fan flow air > start getting a choking dusty smell after approx 5 mins > smell goes away if I switch off re-circulation.

Giriraj Auto has changed my cars pollen filter 3 times over the last 2 years and have said I must be driving on very dusty roads - which is not the case of-course. They have been very diligent in trying to fix this - but unfortunately not much positive result really.

Appreciate your responses.
Old 22nd June 2013, 09:20   #85
BHPian

When u switch off the AC button, it automatically opens the flap to let in fresh air. That's by default and nothing can be done about it. So try reducing the temperature. And keep the AC button on. This will not open the flap.
Old 22nd June 2013, 23:44   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drrajanvr View Post
When u switch off the AC button, it automatically opens the flap to let in fresh air. That's by default and nothing can be done about it. So try reducing the temperature. And keep the AC button on. This will not open the flap.
Thanks for the response, drrajanvr. However, I can confirm that the recirculation switch light still stays on, though the AC is switched off. And this is the position that the dusty smell becomes over-bearing. Also on the contrary, if I switch off recirculation, then the dusty smell goes away. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous - since simple logic says that dusty smell can only happen if the recirculation is switched off (which opens the flaps) and hence the possibility of dusty air entering the cabin.
Old 23rd June 2013, 02:18   #87
BHPian

Then there is a possibility of the switch doing the opposite movement of the flap, this sometimes occurs if the polarity of the connectors are interchanged.
drrajanvr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2013, 19:52   #88
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post

Thanks for the response, drrajanvr. However, I can confirm that the recirculation switch light still stays on, though the AC is switched off. And this is the position that the dusty smell becomes over-bearing. Also on the contrary, if I switch off recirculation, then the dusty smell goes away. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous - since simple logic says that dusty smell can only happen if the recirculation is switched off (which opens the flaps) and hence the possibility of dusty air entering the cabin.
Hi Sanjul,
Good to know that you have been following my thread and thanks for the appreciation.
Regarding the two problems you have been facing:
Juddering in 5 th gear, this is definitely not normal and is a sign of a slipping clutch or a faulty dmf. I hope you are not keeping your foot on the clutch pedal as it is very detrimental to clutch life and can cause early failure.
On the second issue, the smell is actually coming from inside your car, probably due to mould formation due to moisture. I also faced a similar issue after I had gotten my car interiors cleaned. They wet the carpet and the wet carpet started to give off a foul smell.
Few things you need to get rid of this smell:
1) get your evaporator drain pipe cleaned to make sure that water is not accumulated in the ac
2) remove all the mats and leave the car windows open for a few hours and try to drive the car without mats for a few days to ensure that the carpets are propely dried. There are also some good commercial products available as powders which you can put on the carpet to remove the smell. Also get your mats drycleaned.
3) additionally it is a good idea to get an evaporator cleaner like abro ab100 (IIRC) and spray inside the evaporator to clear any mould inside the evaporator.

These steps should help you remove the smell.

Regards
Behemoth
Old 27th June 2013, 00:44   #89
BHPian

Hi Behemoth,
Hope alls going great. On your response, pls see my below comments:

1. Shuddering on 5th at times:
Thanks for that. Nope, I don't ride the clutch. Have been having a similar thought as yours w.r.t. this being a clutch issue. However, do you think that such a problem would not manifest itself at all times on the 5th? As I mentioned earlier, this happens "at times" when riding at 70 - 80 kmph; does not occur at all times.

2. Dusty smell: Yes, you're spot on that this might be coming from the interior. Incidentally, Giriraj had mentioned they had a service engg visit from Pune or B'lore specifically for this complaint - who mentioned that the plastic covers on the carpet on the front passenger side was cause. They took out all the plastic covers on the carpet and subsequently closed that incident on their system.

However, the funny thing is - my gut feel said that this "plastic removal" would not help - and I have been proven right. The smell is right there.

Will ask the service guys to clean up the evaporator drain pipe and see. Have verified that the carpets are not moist/wet in any way so that point can be eliminated.

Will revert back post this weekend if this issue is fixed - once the car is back from the 2nd service.

BTW - any specific thoughts on what all should be checked/changed as part of the 2nd free service?

I did not see any recommendations on this front on the service manual, as I had in the manual for the Palio.

Cheers!
Old 27th June 2013, 09:43   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjuInGgn View Post
Hi Behemoth,
Hope alls going great. On your response, pls see my below comments:

1. Shuddering on 5th at times:
Thanks for that. Nope, I don't ride the clutch. Have been having a similar thought as yours w.r.t. this being a clutch issue. However, do you think that such a problem would not manifest itself at all times on the 5th? As I mentioned earlier, this happens "at times" when riding at 70 - 80 kmph; does not occur at all times.

Cheers!
Technically, if there is clutch slip, it should also be visible in other gears too, as the torque is much higher in other gears.
Have you noticed the rpm of the engine when this happens - is there is any sudden jump / skip in the rpm or is it consistent. If the RPM is above 1400, the engine should not have any issues in pulling. Only if it falling to 1200 and below, it can have some difficulty in pulling.

If I see my own driving style in the Laura, I generally put into 5th only over 80 and stay in 4th below that. However in the Yeti, I put in 5th over 70 and 6th above 90 (The Yeti has different gearing from the Laura).

Regards,
Behemoth

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks