Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th April 2012, 14:55   #1
Senior - BHPian

Adieu to my Honda City CVT - final report

Goodbye to you my trusted friend
We’ve known each other since... the past six years (just modifying the words to suit this context).

She has gone – taken by another finally, yesterday. So I guess this is the appropriate time for me to share my long term user experience in a nutshell.
I bought the Honda City ZX CVT in the last week of April 2006. It was my first automatic car. For long I had been wanting to make the daily grind of driving in the city an easier experience – more so since I do not keep a driver. Options were, at the time, limited to just the Honda City (at my budget). Since I was an existing Honda user, it was fait acompli. Within a day or two, I was a complete slave to the automatic.
The car did approx 60,900 kms in the six years of ownership.

Likes (are many)--

The design.
Space & comfort – the family just loved it.
Ease of driving – especially the EPS which is the bugbear of many an enthusuiast. I just love the extremely light steering.
The fit and finish.
The smooth engine.

Dislikes (not too many) --

Lack of safety features like airbags & abs.
The low clearance.
(The aircon I always felt could have been a bit stronger – but I wouldn’t really call it a dislike)

Faults –

In all the years of use the biggest problem for me was tyre wear. Of course I would attribute this mainly to the extremely poor roads in Cochin (especially on my daily route) and my laxity in keeping check of the tyre pressure regularly. I changed the original set of tyres – Bridgestone - at around 23000 kms (they probably had another 5000 kms of use) - went in for Goodyear which lasted till 55000 kms. Put in Bridgestone again – but this time with better roads and care on my part, it looks as if they’ll last for much longer than the first two sets.

After 2 years of use, I started experiencing a kind of engine jerking (I can’t express it better) during sudden acceleration and at certain speeds. The service centre told me it was a problem with some electronic part which was replaced free of cost. This has come back in a much milder form of late (just the odd occasion). The service centre could not find any fault.

Steering rattle – this developed after 50,000 kms. The rattle was noticeable on uneven surfaces. According to the service centre, the permanent solution was to replace the rack – which would have set me back by 40 K. They however did a temporary fix which they said would keep it going for a while – the rattle came down considerably.

Slight judder while taking off with a slight metallic sound and a jerkiness while braking – developed after 50,000 kms. Again checked with the service centre – diagnosed as drop in CVT fluid quality and replacement done. Some improvement thereafter.

FE was approx 9 kms within town and approx 13 on the highway – tank to tank – aircon working all the time.

Overall it was a happy experience using this car and it was with a tinge of regret that the decision was taken to part with it.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2012, 15:05   #2
BHPian

Re: Adieu to my Honda City CVT - final report

Its very difficult to part ways from a car, which we would have loved and attached emotionally. Which car are you going for now ? Another offing from the Honda stable or some other brand for a change. Going by your record, my guess is you are going to bring another Honda home.
Old 11th April 2012, 15:09   #3
BHPian

What made you change? The New Honda City or something, bigger, better, faster?
Old 11th April 2012, 22:09   #4
BHPian

Nice experience. Its always hard to let go of your car. I was/am so attached to my first car that when I bought a new car I decided to retain the old one as a second car. Do let us know which car you've bought.
Old 18th April 2012, 19:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorsPwr View Post
Its very difficult to part ways from a car, which we would have loved and attached emotionally. Which car are you going for now ? Another offing from the Honda stable or some other brand for a change. Going by your record, my guess is you are going to bring another Honda home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
What made you change? The New Honda City or something, bigger, better, faster?
Bang on Horspwr & s4ch! I have zeroed in on the New Honda City AT - will take delivery tomorrow. There never was another other contender. Will be my third City in a row.
wilful is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks