Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st April 2014, 20:04   #406
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Bean View Post
CrAzY dRiVeR - 60000 kms in almost 2 years, that's a lot of driving. Do you experience driver fatigue during long distance driving? How is the seat comfort? I could not find a good driving position during my test drive years ago.

Coming to ride comfort on Bangalore roads, most of the roads are uneven, when newly laid they are good, but eventually lose its shape due to shoddy construction and low quality materials used.

I feel a higher tyre pressure can also cause the bouncy feeling on uneven roads/bridges. My a-star has a slightly stiff suspension, the company recommends 32 psi on front/rear, but the problem is the car keeps bouncing and crashing on the unevenly laid bridges/roads in Bangalore. I reduced it to 30 psi and the ride is much much better. This was also the case with previous car baleno.

Normally the test drive cars have higher psi and picks up speed well.
Sorry I missed your post earlier.

Driver fatigue is very less IMO. For our Bangalore - Trivandrum drives, we usually take 3 breaks, one for breakfast, one for lunch, and one for tea and arrive rather fresh at the destination - 800 kms away.

You need to get adjusted to the seating position though! The pedals are placed rather high, even the steering for that matter and it is not possible to get a comfortable driving position during the test drive. You get used to it after the initial few days though.

Usually company recommended tyre pressures are optimised for maximum mileage. Chevrolet Beat for example. However, I dont think thats the case with FIAT since I've always felt 32 to be better. Also, i currently use 34 after upgrading to Yokohama AVS DB since I feel it gives best comfort. (2 more than company recommended). A company that provides 195 section tyres on their hatch back can't really extract much FE by putting bit more air pressure anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
Yes, on the hills, you have to be very careful with the gearing. For my honeymoon, I went to a hotel that had 30 m + 30 m ramp with two switchbacks at a super steep angle. It was embarassing at first, but I used handbrake, gunned to 2200 RPM and released clutch without stalling. It was one delicate exercise to release clutch without stalling on a very steep incline. The non-CRDE Scorpio and Bolero of the hotel guys simply managed it without any issues.
The Mahindra Verito cabs as well. Boy, those things are FAST up the ghats. With negligible turbo lag and neutral handling - the 1.3 MJD cars just can't keep up with those things on proper ghat sections.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th April 2014, 15:59   #407
Team-BHP Support

re: A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold

First interior detailing done @ 3M Car Care, HSR layout, Bangalore. Back to showroom freshness, after 64000 kms of usage.

I'm lovin' it.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0328_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0327_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0329_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0333_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_0335_800.jpg
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th April 2014, 09:54   #408
Team-BHP Support

For the record, the above post marks the 14th proper wash/detailing session the car has received.

Cleaning and Detailing work #11 - 25th October 2013
3M HSR layout Bangalore.

Cleaning and Detailing work #12 - 18th February 2014
3M HSR layout Bangalore.

More details can be found here -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ml#post3376569

Cleaning and Detailing work #13 - 9th March 2014
3M HSR layout Bangalore.

Cleaning and Detailing work #14- 5th April 2014
3M HSR layout Bangalore. Interior Detailing. Details in the above post.

Issues faced + Service Experience #11 - Battery change @ 64,000 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Battery was starting to show signs of weakness. Although fellow member nkrishnap helped to check the voltage and we could conclude that the battery was good for few more months, went ahead with the replacement considering the peace of mind factor on the highways.

Stock EXIDE battery was replaced with AMARON FLO. Supposed to be zero-maintainence, and comes with a warranty of 48 months (However, replacement is only till 24 months!)

Quick and efficient service from Vecto Motors and I was out of the place in 30 minutes.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 11th April 2014 at 09:56.
Old 13th April 2014, 22:29   #409
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
The 90 is just back from a drive to Ooty, and the odometer stands close to 64,000 now.

With 4 well built () adults and luggage on board, she pulled cleanly all the way through the Masinagudi ghats. Only on two occasions did she really struggle, and I had to make use of the handbrakes as well as the clutch. But to be fair, it's my fault letting the car drop below turbo zone in first gear on one occasion, and stopping mid way through a very very steep climb to avoid a cricket ball from the neighbourhood kids team on the second occasion.

The infamous FIAT gearing raises it's ugly head as a clear weakness during these hill drives. You need to really gun it in first to be able to shift into second gear and still be in the turbo sweet spot.
Doesn't the RD box (DieselTronic) help in such situations to climb more easily? Just curious.
mohan41 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th April 2014, 23:44   #410
Team-BHP Support

Just got back from a Bangalore <-> Hyderabad weekend trip. Crossed the 65,000 kms milestone, but the bad news- ac is once again making me sweat, literally. Issue/ symptoms is different this time around though.

Will post the details by weekend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohan41 View Post
Doesn't the RD box (DieselTronic) help in such situations to climb more easily? Just curious.
Yes, it should have helped, specially p1 mode. However, I didn't have the box on the car for the Ooty trip. (Never mounted it back after the 60k service till now.)

A close friend is testing the box for one month to check if it suits his requirements and style of driving.
Old 20th April 2014, 08:54   #411
Team-BHP Support

Maximum FE-

Had a nice debate last week with fellow BHP'ians KarthikK, Nkrishnap and MohanKV regarding the maximum FE possible from the Multijet Punto- and there was a big difference of opinion.

I thought I might as well utilise my city commutes to find out the best possible FE I can extract from my 90hp. And here's how things stand now-

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-image4291776127.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-image2557271265.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-image1275673334.jpg

Hopefully- i can drive with the same patience for 1000 plus kms to check actual tankful to tankful figures as well.
Old 21st April 2014, 06:35   #412
Team-BHP Support

Issues faced + Service Experience #12- a/c wiring issue @ 66,000 kms.
Service Satisfaction - *****
Service Centre - Vecto Motors, Bangalore.

Rats!

As mentioned in one of the earlier posts, a/c stopped working during my last drive from Hyderabad to trivandrum. I suspected a blown fuse or a conked- off compressor.

Turns out- rats had chewed off the wiring that goes to the compressor. Irritating! Hopefully, the issue occurred during my stay in Hyderabad and not in my apartment complex.

Very good service experience at Vecto. Issue was identified and resolved in an hour. Moreover, they themselves identified another issue and corrected it after seeking my permissions.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 21st August 2014, 11:09   #413
BHPian

Four months, No activity? Hard to believe that!
Old 21st August 2014, 23:01   #414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
I suppose he is obsessed with his new acquisition, Excent
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:10   #415
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hopefully- i can drive with the same patience for 1000 plus kms to check actual tankful to tankful figures as well.
You mean you drove 240 kms in the city and got an average of 24 kmpl. Amazing. What do your drive your Punto with? Fuel enhancing drugs??
However hard I try I cant go past 17-18 kmpl with very disciplined driving.

Are the roads in Bangalore that empty?

Last edited by ghodlur : 22nd August 2014 at 08:11.
Old 22nd August 2014, 08:17   #416
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Bangalore like any other city is chaotic in its traffic patterns. The only method to counter this is to drive odd hours. I thought late night was odd enough and then reality dawned, when I saw even 10:30/11:30 PM is "jam" time!

The only time, which is "really" timeless I guess are the early morning hours (before 7) and the late noon hours before the deluge begins.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:29   #417
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Bangalore like any other city is chaotic in its traffic patterns. The only method to counter this is to drive odd hours. I thought late night was odd enough and then reality dawned, when I saw even 10:30/11:30 PM is "jam" time!

The only time, which is "really" timeless I guess are the early morning hours (before 7) and the late noon hours before the deluge begins.
To add to what you have mentioned, the central part of the city is more or less chocked from 8 am to 10-11 pm. I travel from RT Nagar to dairy circle as my office commute. The morning journey takes about 45 mins to 1 hour for 13 kms, whereas the return journey takes about 1.5-2 hours unless I commute by 4 pm. The evening traffic is crazy and I become crazy driver to get the car home without any scratches

And this is getting worse by the day either due to bad roads or roads dug up for some or the other work
Old 23rd August 2014, 05:55   #418
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo_Ipe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
I suppose he is obsessed with his new acquisition, Excent

No. Xcent is for parents (In Kerala) and I wouldn't get to drive the car often. The car has been performing like clockwork and no updates have also been carried out. That explains the silence.

It will cross 2.5 years, 75000 kms next month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
You mean you drove 240 kms in the city and got an average of 24 kmpl. Amazing. What do your drive your Punto with? Fuel enhancing drugs??

Are the roads in Bangalore that empty?
Trust me! Those 240 kms were really really boring!

However, it was achieved on city roads - mostly for office trips around 12PM to 1PM in the afternoon, and 10:30PM to 11:30 PM at night - from Yelahanka to Domlur through city roads (Hebbal, MG Road, Airport road). Bangaloreans can vouch for the fact that some of those places will have traffic even at 11PM night.

But yes - not chock-a-block traffic jam conditions either.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 07:59   #419
Team-BHP Support

Will hit the 75000 kms mark later today, however few other updates for now -

Cleaning and Detailing work #15 - 29 September 2014
Classic Car Spa, Orion Mall - Bangalore.

Thanks a/c lines dripping water at the covered car park in office, there was a very visible mark on the bonnet, as can be seen in the Punto Evo Test drive comparison pics where my car was used.

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_5564.jpg

All of my DIY efforts were in vain, and I was under the impression that a paint job might be required to get rid of it. Was proved wrong when I visited Classic Car Spa for a quick wash, and they just showed how easily it can be removed. Ended up giving the car for detailing then and there. This is the second proper exterior detailing work, the first being around the 30k mark at 3M HSR layout.

I must admit that I am really impressed with their attention to detail and dedication to work. Even small areas like footwell etc were properly vaccumed, cleaned and polished. Wife usually has some or the other complaints after almost every detailing session, but could find out only one complaint here - that some of the plastic polish used for the beading was not wiped properly off the glass - which was promptly rectified. Overall - a very good experience.

Some pics from the mobile cam -

A sample patch showing swirls removed. Water beading is also seen here -
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1133_800.jpg

Bonnet after the job was done.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1135_800.jpg

Interiors. See the plastics near the door sills.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1137_800.jpg

The gearknob area vaccumed, cleaned and polished.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1140_800.jpg

Gloss.
A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1146_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1141_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1142_800.jpg

A thin line between genius and insanity - Fiat Grande Punto 90HP - 2,00,000 km up! Edit: Sold-img_1148_800.jpg

And thats how the little FIAT has held up till the 75k mark. Hoping to cross the same today.

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 2nd October 2014 at 08:03.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd October 2014, 21:20   #420
BHPian

Quote:
Cleaning and Detailing work #15 - 29 September 2014
Classic Car Spa, Orion Mall - Bangalore.
And thats how the little FIAT has held up till the 75k mark. Hoping to cross the same today.
Congratulations on the 75K mark. The Punto looks great after cleaning and detailing. I still wonder why you thought of giving it a paint job. Was the mark on the bonnet so bad? How did they remove the mark?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks