Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2012, 13:58   #31
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012

Wow! You car looks as good as new after 1 lac kms. Great going. Speaks volumes of the way you've maintained it and also of the quality of the car. THough I must mention that the last gen Laura was not one of Skoda's best models in terms reliability and longevity. It just didn't live up to the expectation of owners after the high standards set by the Octavia.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vipul_bscity View Post
1) Had run on stock Dunlop Sport till 74,000KM. Changed to Yoko decible which has clocked some 30,000KM odd on it.

4) Still running on 2nd set of brakes (First set replaced at 45,000 KM) and I am NOT a sedate driver
How the hell did you manage to get 74,000 kms from the stock tyres?? That is amazing for a heavy car like the Laura!

And by second set of brakes do you mean just the brake pads or also discs? 45k kms for a set of brake pads is also very good going. I have ready many Cruze owners complaining that their brake pads last only 20k kms.

Quote:
5) The ground clearance of the car of this length is quite good. Even if I drive on very much uneven, potholed, big breakers (Bangalore type), it comes out fairly clean. However on more than one occasion driving across various parts on India, I have scrapped the underside very badly. Thanks to god, no major damages.
F/L Lauras come with complete underbody protection which is part of the rough road package. Your Laura also should have it if I am not mistaken.

Quote:
Closer looks. See the completely enclosed Battery cover. The new facelifted Laura does not have this. The new ones has only a plastic cardboard type battery cover.
Correction. Faclifted Lauras also come with similar enclosed battery covers.
Old 14th June 2012, 14:22   #32
Senior - BHPian

Wow ! That's a huge milestone achieved and that too in a relatively short time of ~4 years. Congrats! The car also looks great, not one bit over 50K kms.

What do you plan to do next with the car? Do you plan to keep it or sell it and get a new car?
Old 14th June 2012, 14:25   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
And by second set of brakes do you mean just the brake pads or also discs? 45k kms for a set of brake pads is also very good going.
She is on 2nd set of Brake pads. The rotors are going on good. They seems ok to go for 3rd set of pads before I change them as well. So rotors will due for replacement in may be another 50k KM.

Quote:
F/L Lauras come with complete underbody protection which is part of the rough road package. Your Laura also should have it if I am not mistaken.
Yes, she has a completely covered underbelly. However, there are two Air dampner kind of little lowered portion, one on each side in the middle of the length. You scrapped them very badly on big sized bumps and on deep craters. Always feels very sorry for the car when I scrap them.

Quote:
Correction. Faclifted Lauras also come with similar enclosed battery covers.
Are you sure ??
I was just comparing it with the 7th picture from top in this thread by .anshuman

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...t-pg-23-a.html

Face lifted
Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012-dsc02450.jpg

Mine. What the battery cover the face Lifted Laura has it, mine one has inside this plastic enclosed box.
Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012-dsc01814.jpg
Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012-dsc01816.jpg
Old 14th June 2012, 15:05   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
She is on 2nd set of Brake pads. The rotors are going on good. They seems ok to go for 3rd set of pads before I change them as well. So rotors will due for replacement in may be another 50k KM.

Are you sure ??
I was just comparing it with the 7th picture from top in this thread by .anshuman
Amazed to note that your rotors are still going strong after 1 lac kms. Toyota had replaced the rotors on my Corolla at 50,000 kms saying that they are worn out.

THe battery cover in my F/L laura is ditto same as yours. Wonder whether .Anshuman had removed this cover while clicking this picture. Or is it possible that Skoda skipped providing this cover for a particular batch of cars due shortage of covers. Skoda is capable of doing such things. THey actually produced a batch of TSi's without fog lamps because they were facing a shortage of wiring harnesses .

Just for your ref. the pic of the engine bay in my car taken for my thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2446528
Attached Thumbnails
Laura - Completed 100,000 KM on 15th May 2012-16.jpg  

Old 14th June 2012, 15:14   #35
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ My car did not come with a battery cover

Last edited by .anshuman : 14th June 2012 at 16:06. Reason: typo
Old 14th June 2012, 15:34   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7

What do you plan to do next with the car? Do you plan to keep it or sell it and get a new car?
Will I get any value in selling and buying somthing new? I will get max 6.5-7 lacs if I sell this and anything new similar as this will cost me min 15 if not more.
This car still runs like new. the response, handlings, speed and electronics everything perfect. In no mood of changing this now.
Wanted to add a pre worshipped Ford endy OR Tuscon OR a new Ertiga. Need more space and some offroading abilities. Still many places in my wish list to be travelled which literally can not be done in any of the cars that I own(Laura, Corolla and Corsa :-)

Any suggestion going forward?
vipul_bscity is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2012, 15:58   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
^^ My car did not with a battery cover
What??? Oh Skoda, come on

Quote:
speed and electronics everything perfect. In no mood of changing this now.
Wanted to add a pre worshipped Ford endy OR Tuscon OR a new Ertiga. Need more space and some offroading abilities.
Absolutely. Why sell? Keep it forever.

One car and one SUV will be a good combination. Gives some flexibility on different kind of trips. Though ideally, I would like to have an SUV with fully configurable mechanicals (2WD/4WD, diff locks, adjustbale suspensions - for height and stiffness)...so that I can take sweeping corners, zoom at top speed on the expressway, go over the speed breakers when I reach bangalore/Dombivali or cross the rivers when I get off the NH-17 into the interior Konkan - all in one vehicle.
Old 14th June 2012, 16:02   #38
BHPian

Congrats Vipul, your post is very confidence inspiring for some us who dream of owning these european beauties some day, but have been scared stiff by some of the horror stories in this forum. From the pics of the car it's quite evident that you have taken exceedingly good care of the car, which would have also contributed to your trouble free experience with the car.

Quote:
If not and if the bolts are directly accessible, its 2 yrs job.
I understand that the two years thing is a typo, but being a Skoda, be careful what you wish for mate
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks