Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2019, 18:44   #286
BHPian

re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biraj View Post
BTW, an early birthday gift - New Shoes.

Upgraded the tyres to 205/60/R16 - Yokohama BluEarth. Ordered from Amazon during the sale and got an amazing offer. The MRP of tyres is Rs 8300 and the best quote I received was Rs 6900. After all discounts (including card) I paid around Rs 5900/tyre.

Rest everything <touch wood> continues to be fine with Crusoe. Service is due with a replacement of brake pads, and probably disc. Will put the birthday post with all the details.
Hi, I see that you have gone for the 205/60 tyres for your jet. I am contemplating the same too - request you to share your feedback on this.
Old 21st February 2019, 17:11   #287
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sai_ace View Post
Hi, I see that you have gone for the 205/60 tyres for your jet. I am contemplating the same too - request you to share your feedback on this.
Hi, I took a risk by upsizing thinking that it will improve the ride quality on bad patches and also reduce the frequency with which my car (pre GC increase model) scrapes on certain speed breakers.

To be honest, after using it for 300 KMs, I will prefer to keep 205/55/R16 instead of the 205/60/R16. I find the ride a bit squishy. Moreover, on articulation or hard braking, I can hear the front tyres hitting the inner cladding. I took the car for service and the SA says it's due the dampers having sagged a bit otherwise 205/60 shouldn't scrape the inner cladding.

Just check on a ramp with maximum articulation. If it doesn't touch in your car then you can go for it.
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 17:19   #288
BHPian

Quote:
Hi, I took a risk by upsizing thinking that it will improve the ride quality on bad patches and also reduce the frequency with which my car (pre GC increase model) scrapes on certain speed breakers.

To be honest, after using it for 300 KMs, I will prefer to keep 205/55/R16 instead of the 205/60/R16. I find the ride a bit squishy. Moreover, on articulation or hard braking, I can hear the front tyres hitting the inner cladding. I took the car for service and the SA says it's due the dampers having sagged a bit otherwise 205/60 shouldn't scrape the inner cladding.

Just check on a ramp with maximum articulation. If it doesn't touch in your car then you can go for it.
I was eager for your reply. Mine is the post GC increase version, so I have a lot of headway in terms of the space. In fact I have never scraped a speedbreaker. Plus my car is only 24K kms - so my dampers shouldn't come in the way.

That said I am a bit worried when you say the ride was squishy. While I am willing to sacrifice the handling a bit, I dont want a very wafty ride. Hope you can elaborate on your experience.

Additionally if it isnt too much of an ask - could you post some pics of your vehicle with the 205/60 tyres?

cheers!
Old 21st February 2019, 17:42   #289
BHPian

Quote:

That said I am a bit worried when you say the ride was squishy.
I guess it was the noise of tyres hitting the inner cladding that made me imagine the ride being a bit squishy. I was a bit upset while driving back from office on the day I got them installed because of this noise. It wasn't really bad on the short drive to Nadiad. I will be driving to Gir later this weekend, perhaps that will help me give better feedback and pictures. I haven't clicked many after the tyre change.

Considering your's is the post GC increase model, I don't think the tyres would touch. But then why do you want to go for increased sidewall height? I wanted those extra 20 mm GC and that's why I went for it. In your case, I will recommend keeping 205/55.

Here are a few images I have of the new tyres.

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190130_165810.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190211_173635.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190211_173713.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190211_173756.jpg
Biraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2019, 18:25   #290
BHPian

Quote:
I guess it was the noise of tyres hitting the inner cladding that made me imagine the ride being a bit squishy. I was a bit upset while driving back from office on the day I got them installed because of this noise. It wasn't really bad on the short drive to Nadiad. I will be driving to Gir later this weekend, perhaps that will help me give better feedback and pictures. I haven't clicked many after the tyre change.

Considering your's is the post GC increase model, I don't think the tyres would touch. But then why do you want to go for increased sidewall height? I wanted those extra 20 mm GC and that's why I went for it. In your case, I will recommend keeping 205/55.

Here are a few images I have of the new tyres.

Thank you so much for the pics. Not much of visual difference and kinda fills up the wheel arches better.

The reasons I was looking at this option are 2 - improved low speed ride quality and cost.

My ride quality is quite bad - on stock NCT5s which have run 24K kms and are 5 years old. While I am sure, moving to softer newer tyres of 205/55 size would give me a better ride quality - I am not sure if it will suffice. Hence the thought of a 60 profile. Plus I do drive fast over broken roads - so hoping that the extra height helps me tackle that as well as avoid damage to the sidewalls.

Coming to the cost - there is a significant difference between the 55 and 60 profile tyres - so that is also tempting.
Old 21st February 2019, 18:56   #291
BHPian

Quote:

My ride quality is quite bad - on stock NCT5s which have run 24K kms and are 5 years old. While I am sure, moving to softer newer tyres of 205/55 size would give me a better ride quality - I am not sure if it will suffice. Hence the thought of a 60 profile. Plus I do drive fast over broken roads - so hoping that the extra height helps me tackle that as well as avoid damage to the sidewalls.

Coming to the cost - there is a significant difference between the 55 and 60 profile tyres - so that is also tempting.
I agree with Biraj on not putting 60 profiles on a high GC setup and sticking to the 55's. Your ride and handling will go for a toss, and the inherent swaying motion that the high GC setup has will just increase at city speeds. Shifting to a softer rubber will work wonders compared to the stock Goodyears which are designed for long life and are very noisy and hard.

I have done the opposite and gone to a semi low GC setup (Rear coils are high GC as low GC not available) because the ride/handling is so much superior on the original Linea. I just made a trip to Ooty and back with 5 adults and a full trunk and the car still didn't touch. I am running on 205/55-16 Hankooks.
keroo1099 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2019, 14:29   #292
BHPian

Crusoe turned Seven on 26th Feb.

Seven years of delightful driving experience. Cruising on some great roads and navigating through some nonexistent ones.

Did a trip last week to celebrate my wedding anniversary and Crusoe's seventh anniversary. Will possibly compile a travelogue but here are some pics from the trip.

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn039101.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190223_16102302.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn03470101.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-20190223_16073301.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn007901.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn033901.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn035601.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-dscn034401.jpeg
Biraj is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 13th August 2022, 17:40   #293
BHPian

Been a while since I updated this thread. Lockdown and my overcautious approach to the virus post it has resulted in barely any running for Crusoe. It has clocked around 2,500 km since March 2020, which includes an Ahmedabad - Delhi NCR drive.

The return to NCR has resulted in the same old dilemma of where to take the car for servicing. My dislike for the Fiat authorised service centre is documented in another thread and the other option I used to prefer has grown too large to care about its customers or their cars. So the quest for a reliable Fiat mechanic in NCR continues.

The T-jet engine is still a charm in its eleventh year. The turbo kick is as addictive as it was a decade ago. Haven't clicked many pics recently but here are a few to keep the thread updated.

PS: Must appreciate Fiat's paint quality. The car still shines after all these years of sun, wind/dust, and NCR's pollution.

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_0009.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_1261.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_3095.jpg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_4882.jpg
Biraj is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 16th August 2022, 15:34   #294
BHPian

Dear Biraj.. really glad to see this post and to know you are driving over long distances in the Linea again(Gujarat-NCR). Take care and hope you have many more miles of happy driving with Crusoe!
Blacktop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:09   #295
BHPian

Quote:
Been a while since I updated this thread.
Good to see your post after a while Biraj. I have been following your thread long before becoming a member.
You have maintained your TJet quite nicely despite the obvious challenges and utter disregard from FIAT management.
abhi_tjet is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 20:05   #296
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The return to NCR has resulted in the same old dilemma of where to take the car for servicing. My dislike for the Fiat authorised service centre is documented in another thread and the other option I used to prefer has grown too large to care about its customers or their cars. So the quest for a reliable Fiat mechanic in NCR continues.

Jhalak cars, sector 121 Noida.

Khan-9718740865
rafique-9811886389

They single handedly handle my palio and abarth punto. and many Linea T jets too are going to them.
sidindica is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 18th March 2023, 00:56   #297
BHPian

Crusoe completed 11 splendid years with me on the 26th of February. What a journey it has been! I am ever so grateful for the opportunity to chronicle Crusoe's life in this thread and appreciate the support and camaraderie of this fantastic community.

Throughout these years, Crusoe has been my companion through thick and thin, proving time and again that this amazing car is much more than just a looker. With each passing year, I've grown increasingly attached to this car, which has become an extension of my very being.

As Crusoe nears the illogical 15-year mark imposed by the NGT, I can't help but feel a sense of trepidation. Particularly, after losing the Punto to the NGT last year. As much as I cherish Crusoe, I realise that finding a worthy and sensible upgrade without spending a fortune might prove to be quite the challenge. Moreover, it is difficult to envision parting ways with this car, which has been a constant source of joy and exhilaration in my life.

The smile on my face on the day of PDI.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-946d7104e3814f39b0b6beedf4db2470.jpeg

The one lost to the NGT
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-6bd2035bc9614c2b93e29abee8c5d43c.jpeg

Some recent pics
Attached Thumbnails
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-2433568b27ac40bf8d41ea7da360eab4.jpeg  

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-76fbf3615db2422886b53982c12932e1.jpeg  

Biraj is offline   (27) Thanks
Old 26th March 2023, 21:05   #298

What a lovely ride you got there Biraj. The TJet in BronzoScurro in my favourite. Those turbine alloys are the simplistic and best alloy designs ever made on any car. I love the Linea and the confidence it exudes while driving. Attaching some pics of my TJet as well for the joy of sharing.
Attached Thumbnails
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-47364d4466984d4c935182b4602d4c9b.jpeg  

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-6bfc48c015d64fe5807d55a636785df3.jpeg  

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-0dc5d49109554103902f20377b6312e9.jpeg  

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-b5efd8778f824ec09adfe02d98396318.jpeg  

FiFo_ is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 28th June 2023, 12:24   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiFo_ View Post
Attaching some pics of my TJet as well for the joy of sharing.
That’s a beautiful car. Owning a T-jet is an experience only understood by those who truly love their cars. It’s not merely a point A to B machine. I hope I’m not overreaching when I compare it to the car-ownership equivalent of motorbiking.

—-
Update on Crusoe

I recently took delivery of my Jimny AT. Given my low usage, conventional wisdom suggested that I sell the T-jet and go for a single car garage. However, had I heeded to conventional wisdom, I would have bought another car in 2012. Thus, I decided to get an additional parking spot and keep Crusoe.

Crusoe in its new parking spot
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_2882.jpeg

Younger Jimny taking Crusoe’s Parking spot as it’s closer to the lift. The lazy me.
Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_2846.jpeg

Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+-img_2850.jpeg

Now, on to managing two cars. Hope I am able to do justice to both.
Biraj is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 18:44   #300
BHPian

Re: Crusoe Chronicles: Eleven years with a Fiat Linea TJet+

Quote:
That’s a beautiful car. Owning a T-jet is an experience only understood by those who truly love their cars. It’s not merely a point A to B machine. I hope I’m not overreaching when I compare it to the car-ownership equivalent of motorbiking.

—-
Update on Crusoe

I recently took delivery of my Jimny AT. Given my low usage, conventional wisdom suggested that I sell the T-jet and go for a single car garage. However, had I heeded to conventional wisdom, I would have bought another car in 2012. Thus, I decided to get an additional parking spot and keep Crusoe.

Crusoe in its new parking spot
Attachment 2469194

Younger Jimny taking Crusoe’s Parking spot as it’s closer to the lift. The lazy me.
Attachment 2469196

Attachment 2469195

Now, on to managing two cars. Hope I am able to do justice to both.

Congratulations on the brand new Jimny. That's a dream combo of machines you got right there...! Happy motoring.
harikrishnansp is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks