Team-BHP - The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/123706-white-knight-my-toyota-etios-liva-diesel-edit-70-000-kms-update.html)

Hello BHPians!
I got my Liva Diesel delivered yesterday.
It's a long story on how i ended up buying the Liva.

HOW IT STARTED
We have a 2004 Santro Xing with 40k Kms on the odo, all was well until last September when the car started giving problems. The car returned a mere 8-9kmpl in the city. With the rising petrol prices, it got us worried. The problem was with the clutch! , the whole clutch assembly was changed, the engine was tuned for mileage and yet made not difference. We still got around 9 kmpl.
Things got even worse, the Air con failed , whenever we switch on the air con, the speed would drop rapidly. One of the rear doors' child lock system got jammed and could not be opened from inside. The engine showed signs of aging, it felt strained when revved hard while overtaking.
So, we decided it was time to get a new car as our poor old Xing was already running out of breathe!

The i10
It was in march when my dad himself was interested in trying out new vehicles. So, we decided to check out the Santro's younger sibling, the Hyundai i10. Dad and I drove down to KUN Hyundai in Anna nagar to check out the New i10.
Dad was very much impressed with the i10's styling, it was fresh and very much futuristic. So, we decided to take it for a test drive. None of the test drive vehicles were available so, they asked us to test drive an i10 that had come for service :Shockked: .
Both me and dad tried the i10. The steering was super light and the throttle response was really good. Dad liked the Gear shift indicator and the super slick gear shifts. But, the thing was the SPACE! Nothing compared to the Santro's space and Legroom. I'm 6 feet tall and i didn't like my knee brushing the center console all the time and moreover , i10 was bit narrow than the Xing. So, i10 - RULED OUT

RITZ and SWIFT
In the month of may, we visited the Popular Maruti showroom in Anna nagar. We first saw the new Swift, it looked stunning and had excellent interiors compared to any other Maruti ( Leave alone the SX4 ). The driving dynamics were really good but lacked space! We are a family of four and we travel a lot so, space was a major concern. Space was the biggest let down in the swift. We never really gave a look at the Dzire because of it's Aftermarket like Boot!.
Then we checked out the Ritz, surprisingly, the Ritz too was a bit cramped. The quality of the plastics were not as good as the Hyundais. The boot was small and yet again the center console kept hitting my knee like the i10.
As a result, Swift and Ritz - RULED OUT

Honda CITY & Honda JAZZ
Dad always had an eye on the Honda City, he loved the City's looks and the outright performance! The new City was much more appealing compared to the old one. It has a presence/appeal that even the Corolla lacked ( well , that's according to me). The interiors were top notch. The seats , the steering , the dash, everything felt so premium and a class above!
But the major problem was with the City's length and maintenance.
The City wouldn't fit in my compound and we were not willing to buy it and park it on the road either. Many friends of mine who own a city warned me about the servicing costs and mileage. So , it was clear the City was definitely not our Car.
On the other end of the Sundaram Honda Showroom in Mount road was the Honda Jazz. It was very, very spacious and had upmarket interiors. With Honda's recent aggressive pricing, the Jazz was just irresistible! But then, i heard from people having the Jazz about the problems they faced with the car and yes, the Jazz too wasn't our car!
So, City and Jazz - RULED OUT

SKODA RAPID & NISSAN SUNNY
It was a dull Sunday afternoon when we visited Gurudev Motors in poonamallee high road to check out the Skoda Rapid. The Rapid was absolutely stunning. The car had very good seats, the doors shut with a good THUD. It was much better than the City in terms of quality. The 1.6lt powerhouse under the hood is a bomb of an engine! Blistering performance, had a blast driving it on the empty stretch of poonamallee high road.
The Rapid Active was priced competitively at Rs.8,06,000 OTR Chennai.
But then, the Skoda sales rep suggested that we go in for the Rapid Diesel which was almost 1.5 lakhs more than the petrol. But, Skoda's scary A.$.$ and maintenance costs were good enough to scare us out of the showroom.

Then, we visited the Jubliant Nissan showroom in Egmore to check out the Sunny. The Sunny wasn't so good looking, but the rear leg room was just amazing!. The Sunny base model ( XE i suppose) had absolutely nothing to offer. No rear air vents, no power windows even in the front and bland black interiors!. But the real thing that ruled out the Sunny was the very pathetic Nissan's service network!
Thus, the Rapid and Sunny - RULED OUT

TOYOTA ETIOS
It was in June when dad saw an advertisement from toyota in the newspaper. It was for the Etios. Toyotas are always close to his heart, he was in Muscat for 10 years during which he owned a Camry and a Toyota Yaris. He absolutely loved the Brand, well Toyota's one of the most preferred brands in the Middle east.
We went and saw Etios at Lanson Toyota in Koyambedu. All of us loved the Etios. The ample leg room, the seats and the ENORMOUS boot!.
We even had a look at the Liva , but we were more interested in the Etios.
The Etios G was priced at Rs.6,20,000 . Both mom and dad were ok with the price.
Then we rang up Harsha Toyota to ask them about their pricing. Surprisingly , they offered it 5000 bucks cheaper.
The next day, we drove down all the way to Harsha Toyota which is in Bangalore highway ( 15 kms from my place). The staff were very courteous and welcoming. Dad and I saw the cars on display, but the Etios G came with no equipment, we wanted the V but the V variant was priced at 8 lakhs OTR, we weren't willing to spend 8 lakhs on a car like Etios.
Then came the real deal. The Rep at Harsha toyota told us that they have a 2011 Etios V in stock and they can offer it for Rs.6,75,000. That sounded interesting and irresistible as well. We gave many thoughts on whether we should buy it or not.
After days of argument and altercations, it was decided that we will go in for the 2011 Etios V. We went and personally inspected the car, it was in top condition. We payed the booking amount and the deal was struck.

TWIST IN THE TALE
Everything went on well. Mom decided to keep the Santro so, we made the payments instead of exchanging the car. The loan got sanctioned. Everything was going fine. We went to Toyota on 14th July(Saturday) to pay the balance amounts and to select the accessories ( Toyota had given us Rs.10,500 worth accessories ). They said that the car would go for registration on Monday and would be ready for delivery on wednesday.
It was 16th of July (Monday), we got a call from Harsha Toyota around 10am saying that rats had infested the electricals in the car when it was parked in the garage. So, Harsha Toyota asked if we want to go in for the 2012 Etios V instead.
I some how convinced dad that we go in for the Liva Diesel, i even showed him the ownership reports and the Test Drive reports on Team-BHP ,which worked! He agreed to get the Liva diesel instead.
The next day, Mom and dad visited Harsha toyota to finalize the deal. Toyota gave us a discount on the Liva diesel. It comes around Rs6,90,000. They gave it to us for Rs.6,75,000 , the same amount we payed for the Etios V. They even offered free accessories and stuff for the Liva and they promised to deliver the car the very next day.

FINALLY - DAY OF DELIVERY - MY WHITE KNIGHT
It was 18th of July, i was in college when i got a text from dad saying that the car got registered and we would but getting it in the evening! I was overjoyed!. It was a sweet sight, my car was standing inside the showroom. It was all polished and was sparkling in the showroom's lighting! Toyota gave us a Sony Xplod music system as a gift ,which was the icing on the Cake! clap:
The sales rep from Toyota gave us the Toyota LIVA bag and then took us to the car and explained the various features and other stuff. I thoroughly inspected the car for any scratches or dents. The Sales manager handed over the keys to my dad in a traditional way ( with betel nuts,leaves and banana). We sat in the car and dad cranked up the engine, all the staffs from Harsha Toyota stood beside the car , were clapping and sent us off. Well, that truly was a special moment, never had such an experience with Hyundai and Maruti. Toyota really stand apart! Toyota are the best!

Here are some of the pictures that i snapped during the delivery!

Harsha Toyota rep Mr.Kishok explaining the features to my dad
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-img_5654edit.jpg
Liva's rear 3 quarter view
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-img_5655edit.jpg
Ready for delivery!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-img_5656edit.jpg
The Liva's rear looks better than the Etios' rear!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-img_5658edit.jpg

|-----INITIAL OWNERSHIP-----|
It's been only a few days, I find the Liva to be very comfortable compared to my Santro Xing. Though i find it not as peppy as my Santro ,primarily because it's a diesel. Liva has better road manners compared to the Santro & the suspension is far,far better than the Santro's!. The Santro sends in even the smallest of jerks, all the vibrations and shocks are sent straight to the occupant's spine! The Liva on the other hand has a better suspension and absorbs all the potholes and broken roads with ease!
Well, it's been 4 days & the Odo reads 136Kms. Filled up 40 Litres of diesel yesterday and drove a good 65kms, the fuel meter shows all the bars! Really happy about it.

Here are some of the Pros & Cons of The Liva Diesel,

PROS
CONS
Overall, the Toyota Liva Diesel is a very good car. It does have few negatives but they are overshadowed by the positives & the TOYOTA badge! This is one of the best diesel cars you can get for less than 7 lakhs!

The car is small in dimensions , big on space , has a powerful & a fuel efficient engine and above all has a T badge! . If you want a diesel Toyota at an affordable price, then The Liva diesel is your car!

Some Significant Things!
Here are some small , yet significant things in my Liva!

The LIVA bag that I got from Toyota!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120718-21.01.31edit.jpg

Look at the icons on the extreme left! - TRACTION CONTROL!- Toyota!, you serious?? or was the instrument panel borrowed from some other car?
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.18.36edit.jpg

The Sony XPLOD system that i got for free!! clap:
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.20.13.jpg

The Speedo lights up very well, but the rev counter will be badly missed!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.22.07.jpg

The internal sensors of the TVSS!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.22.36edit.jpg

No Auto down for the power windows & no back lit switches either!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.23.17edit.jpg

Steering wheel is superlight but the plastic makes it hard to hold!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.23.57edit.jpg

The Red Light is a part of the TVSS! Any idea how this works??
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.25.44edit.jpg

The Handbrake is also of the same material like the steering!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.26.35edit.jpg

Low beam spread
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.27.48edit.jpg

High beam spread
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.28.06edit.jpg

The Sun visors! They are very thin!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.29.21.jpg

Very basic switches for the Air Con
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.29.58.jpg

ORVM offers excellent range, but are not electrically adjustable!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.30.24edit.jpg

A random shot of the Center console.
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.31.03edit.jpg

A big let down! No integrated remote!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.32.35edit.jpg

The badge that separates this from the rest!
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.33.52edit.jpg

Candid Shot!! :D
The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-20120721-19.35.57edit.jpg

Congratulations Saadat.
This is one VFM car in today's scenario. You really made a good deal by getting Sony music system free.
You mentioned about some problems faced by Jazz owners... can you name few of these for other fellows benefits? appreciate.
enjoy LIVA.

Your free music system with Diesel car may be the result as per below article:

CARMAKERS CASHING IN ON MARUTI HALT, OFFER FREEBIES

Financial Chronicle

Sensing a rare opportunity to invade Maruti Suzuki’s territory, rivals automobile makers have started making fresh offers to wean away potential buyers of diesel cars like Swift and Dzire. They are all set to cash in on longer waiting period for these cars as Maruti Suzuki announced an indefinite production halt at its Manesar factory. Carmakers like Ford, Toyota, Fiat and VW, which hardly offered any discounts or freebies on diesel cars, are now upping the ante for a slice of the Swift and Dzire pie.

wrd.mydigitalfc.com/news/carmakers-cashing-maruti-halt-offer-freebies-769

Congratulations Saadat. The car looks quite neat, cute and simple in white. Liva is indeed a great choice in todays automobile market. And the free sony xplod system makes it more greater. :D

Congratulations once again. Take care and Drive safe.

Indeed, Toyota must be planning to market the Etios to the Europe where the regulations mandate multiple airbags, ABS, TC & ESP! However, I guess they dont find the lives of Asians precious. The same applies to Skoda Fabia.

Congrats on your new ride !!!!

Any upgrades planned in the near future ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky (Post 2849323)
Congratulations Saadat.

CARMAKERS CASHING IN ON MARUTI HALT, OFFER FREEBIES

Financial Chronicle

Sensing a rare opportunity to invade Maruti Suzuki’s territory, rivals automobile makers have started making fresh offers to wean away potential buyers of diesel cars like Swift and Dzire. They are all set to cash in on longer waiting period for these cars as Maruti Suzuki announced an indefinite production halt at its Manesar factory. Carmakers like Ford, Toyota, Fiat and VW, which hardly offered any discounts or freebies on diesel cars, are now upping the ante for a slice of the Swift and Dzire pie.

wrd.mydigitalfc.com/news/carmakers-cashing-maruti-halt-offer-freebies-769

That aside Toyota seem to be also interested in making the Liva more visible. They have teamed up with the local FM radio channel (Mirchi) to offer free rides between Andheri station and MIDC, a distance of 3-4 kms that takes about 1 hour.

Thank you BHPians! :)
will keep this thread posted with new pictures and other interesting stuff about the car!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nicky (Post 2849323)
Congratulations Saadat.
This is one VFM car in today's scenario. You really made a good deal by getting Sony music system free.
You mentioned about some problems faced by Jazz owners... can you name few of these for other fellows benefits? appreciate.

I don't remember those problems, but i remember that one of my friends sold his Jazz because of a few problems he faced.It was the previous generation Jazz. I'll discuss with him and let you know about the problems he faced with the Jazz.

And yeah, was really surprised to get the music system free along with the 10,500 Rupees worth accessories package! 10,500 + 9000 = 19,500!! .
Getting freebies worth 20k on a diesel vehicle is very rare! I guess i'm lucky! clap:

Congratulations on the car Saadat!.

Quote:

But the major problem was with the City's length and maintenance.
You had a problem with the length of the City but were ok with that of the Rapid which was about 5cms shorter ?.

Only 5cms Shorter?? :eek:
I never knew that , mate! I thought the city was much longer!
But, it was clear that i wouldn't buy the Skoda having read all those horrifying A.$.$ stories!

saadat1992, I have booked a white Liva GD-SP at Lanson . They have quoted me an onroad price of 7.00 L . Who is your sales rep at harsha ? can you give me his number?

Ram

GD-SP?? For 7l OTR??
Did you get any discounts? Because GD costs 6.90l and GD Sp will generally be a 20K more than the GD! I think its a good offer! Did they give you the accessories package worth 10,500 ? Also, when is your Liva getting delivered?

I bought my Liva from Harsha Toyota, Velappanchavadi - near poonamallee!

Congrats saadat :) Good to see that Toyota is offering ABS and EBD as standard in the diesel variant.How is the ride quality and handling when compared with santro?

Quote:

Originally Posted by saadat1992 (Post 2852997)
GD-SP?? For 7l OTR??
Did you get any discounts? Because GD costs 6.90l and GD Sp will generally be a 20K more than the GD! I think its a good offer! Did they give you the accessories package worth 10,500 ? Also, when is your Liva getting delivered?

I bought my Liva from Harsha Toyota, Velappanchavadi - near poonamallee!

I thought you had bought a GD-SP too. I do not know what package he gave me. I am not very good with details. But I already own a Toyota Innova I purchased from him and he said I will get some discount for that. I am exchanging my maruti swift Diesel, so may be i get some discount for that too.

So you think 7.00 OTR for GD-SP is a good deal???

My Liva will get delivered only next month . He has promised before 10th.

As for freebies, He said he will give me mats and mudflaps or some thing like that. WHAT IS ACCESSORIES PACKAGE?

Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by rrnsss (Post 2853125)
I thought you had bought a GD-SP too. I do not know what package he gave me. I am not very good with details. But I already own a Toyota Innova I purchased from him and he said I will get some discount for that. I am exchanging my maruti swift Diesel, so may be i get some discount for that too.

So you think 7.00 OTR for GD-SP is a good deal???

My Liva will get delivered only next month . He has promised before 10th.

As for freebies, He said he will give me mats and mudflaps or some thing like that. WHAT IS ACCESSORIES PACKAGE?

Ram

Yes, The Price is very much less when compared to Harsha Toyota. But, Harsha Toyota offered me Free accessories package worth Rs.10,550/- FLAT!

You can choose your own accessories from the list. I opted for:
  1. Bumper Corner Protector - Rs.650
  2. Floor mat - Rubber - Rs.700
  3. Mud Guards - Rs.650
  4. Body Cover - Silver - Rs.1050
  5. TVSS - Security System - Rs.6450
  6. Antenna - Rs.750
This totals up to Rs.10,250 /- Wasn't really bothered about the remaining 300 rupees. stupid:

Also, Lanson was willing to take my Santro for 1.2 lakhs max, while Harsha told that they can take it for 1.35 lakhs! Here I attach the scanned copy of the Liva price list that I got from Harsha.

The Liva GD-SP is a whole 21K more in Harsha.

The White Knight - My Toyota Etios Liva Diesel. EDIT: 70,000 kms update-priceedit.jpg

I suggest that you should visit Harsha Toyota and ask them about the Liva GD-SP. Also, i have a feel that the staff at Harsha toyota are much courteous than the people at Lanson. Have you payed the full amount?? If you haven't , then you should really give a try at Harsha.

Quote:

Originally Posted by giri1.8 (Post 2853066)
Congrats saadat :) Good to see that Toyota is offering ABS and EBD as standard in the diesel variant.How is the ride quality and handling when compared with santro?

Yeah Bro, ABS and EBD as standard is awesome!. The car's ride quality is much superior, it can take potholes and broken roads with ease. No vibrations go straight to your spine ( Santro sends even the slightest of vibrations right to your spine). Handling is also very good, but it's not as good as the Ford Figo! :)