Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2012, 20:42   #1
BHPian

Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!

Hi BHPians,

This is a review of my Diamond White 1.4TDCi Titanium Ford Figo which I purchased on 11th March, 2011. I will try to keep things short and sweet.

Purchase:

Back in 2011 I was stuck between the SWIFT VDI ABS and Figo Titanium. Better put the fight was between and awesome engine + proven reliability combo and an awesome chassis + steering feel + features combo. In the end I decided that a car is more than just the engine and the brand.

Fast Forwad to September, 2012:
In around 1.5 years, I covered 20k+ kms. I have travelled to almost all kinds of roads kerala could offer. In addition to this travelled to Chennai and Pondy too.

Things I Love:
1. The best steering in a hatch (Probably Punto's steering is slightly better): Had a blast while negotiating the curves on the way to Munnar topstation. Two-finger direction changes can be done all day long. The feedback is to die for.
2. Sublime handling: Throw the car into a corner and forget it. The car sorts out the rest. Again Munnar drive and the Athirappilly waterfall drive comes to mind. The car tracks like its on rails. Understeer? What Understeer?
3. City driveability: Negligible turbo lag and relatively light clutch means city drives are a breeze (for a diesel). The low turning radius is a boon.
4. Ride: Maybe Punto has a better ride and handling combo but the Figo is not far behind. The low speed ride is a bit harsh but high speed ride even on slightly uneven surface is F-L-A-T. Was a joy to ride to Chennai and Pondy through the superb Tamil Nadu highway network.
5. Maintenance and Service costs: Whoever said "Fords are difficult to afFORD". Not anymore, with the Figo atleast. Other than service cost I haven't incurred a single Rupee. To elaborate, my 20k km service cost me around Rs. 4600!! (inclusive of wheel alignment, balancing and rotation which I did at another place). That is cheap by any standard. Touchwood!
6. Features & Space: The standard safety features like ABS, EBD, Airbags etc. provide immense confidence. ABS has cut in quite a few times especially during heavy braking in the rains. Space - leg space and seating space- is decent for 5 and has one of the largest luggage bay in this segment. The Bluetooth enabled stereo is very very useful.
7. Fuel economy: The new diesel engines especially in SWIFT and MICRA scores here, but the Figo holds its own here too. It has an older engine and a hydraulic power steering which eats into the fuel economy. Still I get 15-16kmpl with Full A/C in city and 20kmpl on highway runs with Full A/C.
8. A/C : One of the best units I have come accross. Rapid cooling guaranteed.
9. Rattle-free build quality: The car is built well and weighs more due to that. Probably one of the reason why the lesser powered Micra is a bit more responsive. No rattles at all after 20k kms. Ok, if I was nit-picking, yes some squeaks come and go automatically!

Things I Loathe:
1. Low speed ride: Owing to the stiff suspension, low speed ride is jittery over uneven surfaces. I understand that the benefits come in during high speed drives, but even then sometimes this gets on my nerves.
2. Headlamps: Headlamps are just not powerfull enough. Moving on to a higher wattage means losing warranty. I feel i'm stuck here. Fog lamps are a necessity.
3. Feel underpowered at times: With 5 on-board highway overtaking needs to be carefully planned. SWIFT scores big time here. I have taken the Figo to a top speed of 150kmph(True speed with GPS, speedo showed around 160kmph) on the L&T highway near coimbatore. 120kmph to 150kmph takes a while. With partial load though, in-gear accelaration is more than enough.
4. Comparatively Hard steering at low speeds: Again I understand that this is a hydraulic unit and the benefits are to be reaped at higher speeds and curves, but steering could have been a bit lighter at lower speeds.
5. Refinement Levels: You can hear the unmistakable diesel clatter during idling and hard acceleration. Ford should have provided more firewall insulation.

So there you go. This sums up my experiences. Following my advice, 6 of my mates bought the Figo and they are still my friends

In a nutshell, I am one extremely satisfied customer! And yes, a car is much more than its engine alone.

Happy driving!

itsgeox is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 22:10   #2
Senior - BHPian

re: Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!

Nice and crisp review. As regards headlamps, can't you install 90/100 lights with a cut-out/ relay?

I wonder why Ford did not provide adequate headlamps. They have done a very decent job on the Fiesta Classic though, which has the best headlamps in its segment.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2012, 22:27   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsgeox View Post
Moving on to a higher wattage means losing warranty
Don't bother. The reflector design is such that even a higher wattage blub won't really shine too bright. You may upgrade to better quality bulbs of the same rating as stock. This is from experience of another Figo owner who has done this and finally fitted two additional Hella units up front.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:53   #4
BHPian

Nice and crisp review itsgeox. The review would be complete with pictures of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan

Don't bother. The reflector design is such that even a higher wattage blub won't really shine too bright. You may upgrade to better quality bulbs of the same rating as stock. This is from experience of another Figo owner who has done this and finally fitted two additional Hella units up front.
That is why the Figo facelift which is yet to release has round shaped reflector. The headlight assembly seems to be same and the light reflector is in round shape and the indicators sit at corner next the engine gril. The round reflector will have better focus. So if the headlight assembly is of same shape, then it could be fixed on old Figos.

Else philips extreme vision which claims 100% more brighter or Osram's Nightbreaker of same wattage 55/60w can be put without loosing electrical warranty

Last edited by HighOctane : 5th September 2012 at 22:57.
Old 5th September 2012, 22:55   #5
BHPian

Congrats Dude ! Figo is one hatchback always fared in my top 3 list to suggest people. Could you elaborate on the service costs as well and any other mods done on it. What is a 20K Review without pics ! do post them.

Happy mile munching & Cheers
Old 5th September 2012, 22:58   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Nice and crisp review itsgeox.

That is why the Figo facelift which is yet to release has round shaped reflector. The headlight assembly seems to be same and the light reflector is in round shape and the indicators sit at corner next the engine gril.
Hi HighOctane,

Did u get to look at the Figo facelift or is it some insider news ? are there any pics in TBhp, any scoops ! eagerly waiting for the facelift and what different it would offer, fingers crossed !

Thanks
Chaos
Old 5th September 2012, 23:07   #7
Senior - BHPian

That's a very nice short review. How about some pictures of your car? It's nice to hear that you are extremely satisfied with the car and Ford. Was the 20k service the first one? I feel the Figo is a very practical and nice car; but majority of the ownerships (& reviews) are for the Figo diesel. I have not seen many Petrol Figo owners. And btw, those are pretty nice F.E figures that you are getting with the A/C on.
Old 6th September 2012, 00:50   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac

Hi HighOctane,

Did u get to look at the Figo facelift or is it some insider news ? are there any pics in TBhp, any scoops ! eagerly waiting for the facelift and what different it would offer, fingers crossed !

Thanks
Chaos
The ford insider updates about the changes for Figo in another forum. There are three new colours to be released and facelift is just a cosmetic change with front headlamps, bumper(change in air damand fog lamp assembly) and rear tail lamp. The titanium model gets new sexy 8 spoke alloys. Currently Facelift production has started and expected release in october. That is why Ford is offering free insurance on diesel models to clear old stocks.

Cannot provide you with tbhp link as I am on mobile app. You can see these pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-61403d1345788983newfordfigofaceliftpicturesnewfordfigobluefacelift41.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by HighOctane : 6th September 2012 at 00:56.
Old 6th September 2012, 01:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Nice and crisp review. As regards headlamps, can't you install 90/100 lights with a cut-out/ relay?
Can't. Warranty gets void for the wiring/electricals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
Don't bother. The reflector design is such that even a higher wattage blub won't really shine too bright. You may upgrade to better quality bulbs of the same rating as stock. .
Contemplating Philips Xtremevision. Hope its good?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
Nice and crisp review itsgeox. The review would be complete with pictures of the car.

Else philips extreme vision which claims 100% more brighter or Osram's Nightbreaker of same wattage 55/60w can be put without loosing electrical warranty
Thanks. Yes Philips xtreme vision is on my to-do list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revv_maniac View Post
Congrats Dude ! Figo is one hatchback always fared in my top 3 list to suggest people. Could you elaborate on the service costs as well and any other mods done on it. What is a 20K Review without pics ! do post them.
This is from my memory and may not be accurate. Engine oil - around 1.6k. Labour - around 1.5k. The rest out of a total of Rs.4k was for oil filter, A/C filter and air filter and some other misc. items. Wheel alignment/balancing/rotation was done elsewhere which cost me around 600Rs. All in all 4.6k or thereabouts.
No mods till date. Would like to go for a tuning box eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
That's a very nice short review. How about some pictures of your car? It's nice to hear that you are extremely satisfied with the car and Ford. Was the 20k service the first one? I feel the Figo is a very practical and nice car; but majority of the ownerships (& reviews) are for the Figo diesel. I have not seen many Petrol Figo owners. And btw, those are pretty nice F.E figures that you are getting with the A/C on.
Pictures coming up. No this is the third service. First two (at 2.5k km and 10k km) are free with only consumables being charged.
Highway 20kmpl is the max I got till now. I would say a combined (city and highway) mileage would be 17-18kmpl which is more than enough for me.
Old 6th September 2012, 01:52   #10
BHPian

Some photos. Please excuse the photo quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-1a.jpg  

Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-2a.jpg  

Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-3a.jpg  

Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-4a.jpg  

Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!-5a.jpg  

Old 6th September 2012, 08:32   #11
Senior - BHPian

@itsgeox,

Congratulations on crossing the 20K on the odo in an VFM and aownderful car. I totally agree with you on all the likes as I myself have driven my friends Figo in the city and on the highway although I never crossed the 120Kmph mark.

Although the headlamps feel a bit less brighter but I feel they are adequate enough to serve the purpose. Have you enquired with workshop whether the Fiesta Classic ones can fit in the Figo.

Happy many more mile crunching and drive safely (within limits).
Old 6th September 2012, 09:16   #12
BHPian

Congratulations itsgeox. That's a very nicely summed up ownership review. Wish you many more miles of happy motoring ahead.

I never thought very much of the ford figo, that was till a very close friend of mine got one. That's when I started appreciating ford and the figo. He has a diesel too. Something's which definitely stand out is the air conditioning and the steering also mentioned by you. My friends car gives 700kms on 40 litres of diesel. Thats with ac either on 2 the whole time. And you'd know having the ac on at 2, is like 3 or 4 in a different car. Mileage is as good or better than the swift diesel if you ask me.
My friends car is 18k Kms old but suffers from rattles and squeaks. It's probably a one off case.

The service cost was really affordable. Didn't quite expect it. How much does the one year service cost? Is it on the heavier side like in the case of diesel polos and ventos?
Old 6th September 2012, 11:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Excellent Review. Very Crisp and to the Point.

I loved the part : " I decided that a car is more than just the engine and the brand "

Something a lot of people dont understand. Majority Jump into Selling the Car even before they buy one. For God Sake You are going to drive inside the car for atleast 3 years before you sell it. Should you really be focusing on the selling part of the driving part!!

Well.. Maybe different people have different priorities!!

Since you have done 20K km i think its time to think of a remap. That would surely solve the underpowered / driveability part of the Loathes.
Old 6th September 2012, 11:47   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@itsgeox,

Although the headlamps feel a bit less brighter but I feel they are adequate enough to serve the purpose. Have you enquired with workshop whether the Fiesta Classic ones can fit in the Figo.
Headlamps are adequate on normals nights but on rainy nights its grossly inadequate, which in kerala you will face for atleast 4 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by promit View Post
Congratulations itsgeox. That's a very nicely summed up ownership review. Wish you many more miles of happy motoring ahead.

My friends car is 18k Kms old but suffers from rattles and squeaks. It's probably a one off case.

The service cost was really affordable. Didn't quite expect it. How much does the one year service cost? Is it on the heavier side like in the case of diesel polos and ventos?
Thanks!
Your friends issue is probably a one-off.
I have mentioned the service split up in the earlier replies. 20k service came upto 4.6k Rs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post
Excellent Review. Very Crisp and to the Point.

I loved the part : " I decided that a car is more than just the engine and the brand "

Something a lot of people dont understand. Majority Jump into Selling the Car even before they buy one. For God Sake You are going to drive inside the car for atleast 3 years before you sell it. Should you really be focusing on the selling part of the driving part!!

Well.. Maybe different people have different priorities!!

Since you have done 20K km i think its time to think of a remap. That would surely solve the underpowered / driveability part of the Loathes.
You are spot on.
I am looking at a tuning box rather than remap. But that comes a bit later.
Old 6th September 2012, 19:16   #15
BHPian

Re: Ford Figo 20,000 km Ownership Review - Delighted!

Crisp review itsgeox! I liked the way you have maintained the car. Clean & Stock! What is the condition of tyres after 20k? Even I am satisfied with the performance of this car except few squeaks, which i think I have resolved through DIY. A proper and long drive would tell the effectiveness though.

Roads in my city are simply pathetic and during the monsoons there are huge craters of almost 1 ft deep all across the roads. One can't drive fast on these roads and the ride @ slow speeds does feel too tight. But the car comes on its own on proper roads with remarkable grip and stable ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks