Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th October 2012, 15:10   #1

Java Brown Mahindra Xylo E8 - 3 years & 57,000 kms

Hello Guys,

Its my 3 years update of the wonderful and exciting journeys i had with my sep 2009 purchased xylo e8 with abs. The vehicle was purchased at sks automobiles on bannerghatta rd in Bangalore and has always been serviced at regular intervals under the supervision of Ramesh at SKS. In this update, i would be touching upon all the changes, modifications, problems, positives, negatives etc with the beast !!

2009:

Mar – first time i saw a xylo in flesh, i had made up my mind that this would be my travel partner henceforth after plenty of trips made on my bullet which included most of south india and leh/ladakh as well..

July – booked the xylo with great confusion of colours and more than that the black interiors which i always preferred. M&M has a strange way of pushing colours and with no options of choosing what you need as exterior and interior combinations, i opted for java brown e8 with black interiors.

Sep – I did the PDI based on inputs from T-Bhp and the d day arrived on the 23rd sep when my vehicle was ready to be handed over after registration. I was totally excited n thrilled with my first ever car and with a little apprehension on driving a HUGE vehicle when compared to Zen that I was driving for nearly 10 years and 90k kms i headed to SKS for a warm and courteous handing over ceremony.

Oct Onwards thro Sep 2012 – Its been trips trips n more trips.. some times full capacity, some time only 3 or 4 and to all these places Xylo has taken me with omfort, pleasure Sometimes its been a fight to sit in Xylo in case of more cars and larger group as seating has always been the best part of xylo. Some places i have travelled in xylo have been Ooty, Madikeri, Hornadu, Agumbe, Pondicherry, Kanyakumari, Wayanad, Dandeli, Kanyakumari, Kodaikanal, Valparai, Ganapatipule, Dapoli near Chiplun and many repetitions of the above with various groups of family/friends

Modifications/Additions done so far:

1) Art leather seats from G-Sport put on in 2009 immediately after purchase at Rs.10,000/-
2) Change in audio system in 2011 from stock HU and lousy speakers to Pioneer Double din and Polk audio components on all 4 doors. Set back Rs.28,000/-
3) Change of tyres from stock Bridstone Duelers 215/75 R15 to Yokohama 235/70 R15 which cost me Rs.26500 for a set of 4

Some Problems faced and warranty replacements done:

1) EGR valve changed twice initially during 1st and 2nd service. The 2nd one was replaced as I complained of excessive noise from the engine
2) Front co-passenger side storage box replaced once due to rattling and not closing properly
3) Brake booster replaced under warranty due to leak
4) Propeller main shaft bearing replaced at 56k kms as it started making strange winding noise at speeds above 50kmph.

POSITIVES:

1) Great comfort for driver as well as passengers. Enough space to even accommodate a 5ft 10” in 3rd row on long distance travels.
2) Engine is very responsive with great straight line stability and pot holes/bad roads do not trouble you much
3) Can accommodate 8 in case of emergency travels and easily a group of 6 can travel for a period of 3-4 days with the luggage space at the back as well as under the seats.
4) Lots of storage places to place your stuff
5) Superb reverse parking sensor helps to park very easily without any discomfort
6) Courteous service and response from M&M and the dealer for service and warranty replacements
7) City mileage of 10kmpl and highway mileage of 12kmpl (6 ppl with 50% AC) and 14kmpl (3 ppl with 50% AC) is amazing in this DIESEL ERA 
8) Very easy to manoeuvre and handle in the city as the steering is nimble and responsive for the size of the vehicle
9) Respect/Fear whatever you call it when you see a xylo in the mirror helps you sail thro’ comfortably in the city

NEGATIVES:

1) Bouncy at times especially on uneven roads and when not loaded completely (Read 4 of more). To counter this, you need to have correct tyre pressures set everytime you travel
2) Too many niggles like beading on doors not properly set, glove box light appears due to poor fitting and quality, AC controls braking off a few times
3) Because of the high centre of gravity, deep curves cannot be taken at speeds above 80kmph
4) A tad difficult for aged people to get in and out of the vehicle
5) If the third row seat is folded to accommodate a couple of light luggage, the ride tends to be bouncy at the back. This option of folding third row is only good in case of heavier luggage

SERVICE INTERVALS:

M&M suggests to have the vehicle serviced every 5000kms with change in oil at 15000kms. I have ditched the every 5000kms service and have been following service every 7500kms which means only 1 visit the ASC between oil changes and this has worked well for me. On an average I spend Rs.5000 to 6000 on service every visit.

YEAR-WISE BREAKUP ON MILEAGE
Year 1 (End Sep 2010) – 22000 kms
Year 2 (End Sep 2011) – 37000 kms
Year 3 (End Sep 2012) – 57000 kms

I hope this short review was helpful and would be glad to answer your queries if any..

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 15th October 2012 at 13:48. Reason: See note in post.
gautham.mg is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th October 2012, 13:55   #2
BHPian

Re: Java Brown Mahindra Xylo E8 - 3 years & 57,000 kms

Hello Gautham.
Hearty Congratulations on your successful 3 years of ownership of Mahindra xylo E8.

Very well written up and unbiased long term ownership review.
Hope,
Your drive serves you well for many more years to come.

The review will surely help decide prospective buyers.

Great to know that you did not face any major issues with the vehicle.

Wish you many more happy miles and smiles with the drive.
Thanks for sharing.!
Old 20th October 2012, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Gautam, congrats on completing three years with the Xylo. Mine too (Red Xylo E8-ABS) completed 3 years last month (in Sep), but only covered 35000 km so far.

I love this vehicle, I find it far more fun to drive than the Innova (which was the reason I bought it in the first place). I've had only one warranty repair in the 2nd year - AC evaporator coil was replaced. All electronics have been working fine so far, but the audio system started acting up recently - it stops recognizing USB drives or SD cards randomly.

Not using it much for the last one year as we have relocated to USA. Tried to sell it off only to discover the ridiculously low resale value. So right now it is lying unused in our driveway :(
Old 20th October 2012, 23:18   #4
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Excellent long term update Gautham. Can we have some pics of your Xylo - nothing compliments a Long Term report more than a combination of detailed text and pictures.

We have recently booked the E4 Non-ABS model and awaiting delivery. Will be posting a detailed review once we get it.
Old 22nd October 2012, 19:24   #5
Senior - BHPian

Gautham, Agree to every point you have mentioned. Even I have a Xylo E4 and its age as on today is 2.3 years and has run 52000 kms.

Even I goto service once in 7500 kms instead of 5000 kms. Also the first 6 services I had been to SKS for every 5000kms. Now as mentioned earlier I am going at 7.5k kms interval.

Put some pics of your Xylo and keep updating this thread. Cheers.
Old 28th July 2013, 21:33   #6
BHPian

hi friends,
read that some of you are getting the xylo serviced at 7500 km. Now my question, what exactly is this "service" ? what all typical activities done in such visit, considering the oil change is not done (or done at ~15K) ? a rough breakup of activity vs cost would be really appreciated.

thanks,
Pranav
Old 24th February 2014, 17:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautham.mg View Post

4) Propeller main shaft bearing replaced at 56k kms as it started making strange winding noise at speeds above 50kmph.
Hi Gautham - Do you remember the approximate cost of replacing the Propeller Main Shaft bearing?

I am facing the same issues and the kind of quote Mahindra @$$ is providing me with seems to be on a highly expensive side. Just wanted to make sure, I am not being fleeced.

Have been giving an estimate of 18k for the job. Does it sound on the higher side? Or is it okay?
Old 25th February 2014, 10:47   #8

Hi Mantrig, The propeller shaft was replaced under warranty. I was also running on extended warranty which I felt is an absolute must in case of first gen vehicles.
gautham.mg is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2014, 16:39   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautham.mg View Post
Hi Mantrig, The propeller shaft was replaced under warranty. I was also running on extended warranty which I felt is an absolute must in case of first gen vehicles.
Thanks Gautham,

I agree, EW is a must.

Unfortunately, the vehicle is out of EW now and as per Murphy's Law the repairs/niggles crop up only after the warranty expires.
Old 9th March 2014, 09:36   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Hi Gautham - Do you remember the approximate cost of replacing the Propeller Main Shaft bearing?

I am facing the same issues and the kind of quote Mahindra @$$ is providing me with seems to be on a highly expensive side. Just wanted to make sure, I am not being fleeced.

Have been giving an estimate of 18k for the job. Does it sound on the higher side? Or is it okay?
Hi,
why do you want the entire Propeller Shaft to be replaced ? unless there is any damage on the shaft tubular metal, rare. Yes, the cost of entire assembly would be around 18K, as rightly quoted.

otherwise, if there is any play within the UJ (star / cross) bearings, you can just get them individually replaced, each around 800/-. Even within center tube joint, the cylindrical bearing can also be independently replaced, cost is not known, but maybe 1500+.

on high speeds you would notice vibrations and more noise, due to play in the bearings within this 3-piece shaft. I noticed, even at night driving (silent) when vehicle is near to road divider, the re-bouncing sound (hmm...hmmm....hhmm....) from the underbody churning shaft, would also give a clue to get the UJ's checked. practical experience.

if the vehicle is on ramp, you can try pushing the shaft, it will look like having play - but thats normal. Actually, you need to entirely dismount the shaft elements and then check individual bearings.

In my ~92K KM of running:
- long back I had replaced 2 UJ's (paid)
- later, once the entire shaft was replaced (under Warranty)
- and recently at 88K KM two UJ's were replaced (paid).
In the 2nd and 3rd instance, I was adamant and pushed them to check in detail this stuff, and really they found the problem.

Yes, I have extended warranty, given as Free during purchase of vehicle. Its a boon. Terms as 4 years, or 100000 (1 lac) KM, whichever is earlier. Now the best part in my case - both variable would almost coincide in coming few months. Im just getting more proactive to see if any major part needs replacement (or going OK) within warranty period, otherwise later I have to bear!

do share more details of your vehicle - running, fuel efficiency, tyres, etc.

regards,
Pranav
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2014, 18:58   #11
BHPian

Greetings of the day!

1. Recently completed a nearly 2000 km trip driving a friend's Xylo E9.

2. During the trip, an audio warning sounded thrice asking to remove water from the fuel filter.

3. What are the causes of such a warning?

4. Can the engine be damaged by this condition?

5. Referring to the Owner's Manual, we have drained some fuel on our own.

6. Now, is any service-centre intrrvention required in this case?

Regards!
Old 2nd April 2014, 11:10   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by onkar1710 View Post
Greetings of the day!

1. Recently completed a nearly 2000 km trip driving a friend's Xylo E9.

2. During the trip, an audio warning sounded thrice asking to remove water from the fuel filter.

3. What are the causes of such a warning?

4. Can the engine be damaged by this condition?

5. Referring to the Owner's Manual, we have drained some fuel on our own.

6. Now, is any service-centre intrrvention required in this case?

Regards!
if there are traces of water in diesel, they such warning may come. This could happen if the water sensor has gone faulty. Long back, it had happened in my Xylo - the workstation guys declared as sensor faulty, and replaced within warranty.

as a basic step, you can remove the diesel filter and drain it completely. re-fit it back, and prime the pump manually to remove air. a basic technician can do this job in just few minutes. if the warning continues, then better show to MMASS and ask for complete checkup, including sensor checking.

and if you suspect the diesel itself of poor quality, then recommended to completely drain the diesel and refill from a reputed bunk.
pcpranav is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks