Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2013, 14:42   #1
BHPian

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review

Hi All,

This is my first post on Team-Bhp, and I thought let's introduce my car before myself! (the title gives away why i'm doing this!)

Let me start from the very beginning and describe the pleasure it has been in purchasing and owning my Fabia.

February 2011.
It's been almost 6 years since i'd purchased my beloved Indica DLS, which had given me 80,000+ km of service. It was maintained well, by my trusted Tata service center; however I was in the market looking for a change - more so this was my 2nd Indica in 10 years + 2 other Tata cars (Indigo and Indigo CS) in the family - I wanted something new, something different and something not Tata (I still love Tata - not to enough to buy another, I guess! )

So the search for my next nomad began. What I wanted to have in my new car was as follows:
1. It didn't have to be a hatch
2. Space to fit 4 comfortably
3. A more powerful engine (compared to the Indica)
4. Safety features (my Indica had none, except being really heavy and hopefully strong )
5. Not more than 8.5 lacs OTR

With a my expectation list not as well defined, I kept my options wide open - allowing me to compare them well before my purchase.
So began my search for my new set of wheels.

1. Skoda Fabia 1.2 tdi:
I had test driven the older Fabia in 2010 and had loved the car then, especially it's build quality (interior and exterior) equipment list and driving dynamics.
The new Fabia looked even better, had the same build quality (this time a beige/black interior theme - wow!!). Autobahn Motors being a 10 minute drive from my house was the first on my list to visit.
The showroom was right next to Chevrolet's so I had the opportunity to test more than 1 car before heading anywhere else.
My mom and I were welcomed by the sales representative who was well spoken and enthusiastic about us visiting. We told him that we were interested in the Fabia diesel.
Straight away he took us to the car on display, and asked us to feel free at home and explore while he got the brochure. We were allowed a good 10-15 minutes in the car, facilitating the explorer in me to check everything in the car.
Instantly my Mom and I were in love with the way the interiors were designed, the color scheme, the high quality plastics, the "thud" on closing the doors, the space in the car (including the boot) and the very comfortable seats. In my mind it was just right.
We were given the keys of the 1.2 Tdi motor, it had been driven for 6000 odd kms and looked fairly well maintained. The car pulled well, it had a lot more power than my Indica and after the initial lag put you back in your seat a bit with the turbo kicking in.
Drove the car around the Lokhandwala back road which allowed me to test it's pulling power, it astonished me as i was doing a good 120km/hr on that road and it didn't feel close to it. Not just the speed, but the way the car handled this speed, it's stance, driving dynamics, steering, braking and ease in operation was just amazing.
Once back we took the price details, shared our contact details and left with an experience which left us in awe.

2. Hyundai i20 Petrol/Diesel:
From the luxurious feel of the Fabia still fresh in my mind, I drove to the Shreenath Hyundai Showroom in Lokhandwala, Mumbai and asked for a test drive of the i20.
While I was waiting for someone to attend to me, I was spending my time checking out the i20 on display.
Well no offence to all the i20 owners on this forum, the car is a stunner looks real cool and sporty, however the interiors felt so plasticky when compared to her German & Czech counterparts.
I just walked right out, not even waiting for a test drive.
I know many of us will think it wasn't a good decision and I should've atleast checked the way the car felt.
For me it just didn't feel right. So the i20 was out.

3. Fiat Punto/Linea MJD:
I went to the Tata/Fiat showroom in Malad, Mumbai and the dealership experience was good until the person who evaluated my precious Indica nudged and exclaimed how bad the car's condition was. He started off by saying OMG when he opened the engine bay and saw the extremely clean engine saying that there were oil leaks!! WHERE!! They were only in his imaginary world.
I felt this was it, i didnt even let him sit in the car after that.
I complained about his behavior and risk of insulting a customer, or his property (the same thing) and walked out without a test drive. Good for me!!

4. Ford Fiesta 1.6 (now Classic):
The Ford dealership was just around the corner from the Tata showroom and was my next pit stop.
With the experience in Tata still fresh in my head, I decided to just test drive the cars (Fiesta & Figo).
The dealership experience however was real good. I almost booked the Fiesta petrol.
The car is great and was within budget. It had acceptable interiors and lots of space, only downside was that it's age was kind of noticeable in it's design, and how can i forget - IT WAS A PETROL!! I'm such a frequent traveler it just wouldn't suit me.
So I test drove the Fiesta Diesel and felt the need of a much better engine in there. Other than that the same car.
Fiesta for now was a good option.

5. Ford Figo Tdci:
After the Fiesta, I test drove the younger sibling; the newly launched Figo.
With the same diesel engine in a lighter car the performance seemed better. The engine was rather refined and didnt feel like a diesel. It was well within my budget, had all the features I was looking.
The only thing that bothered me a bit were it's interiors, I had test driven the all black dashboard version but it was just not right to my tastes.
Figo was a car which was number 3 in my list of good options.

6. VW Polo Tdi:
Went to the Showroom in Santacruz, Mumbai and was welcomed by the sales executives, a very warm feeling - felt good.
The car was even better, very classy interiors and a great stance - time for a test drive!
From the instant I started the engine, it didnt even feel like a diesel, hardly any noise in the cabin. There are a lot of reviews on the Polo/Fabia & I'd agree with most of them except the ones where they talk about the turbo lag being a constant irritant. It's hardly anything, and this is after driving it around in bumper to bumper traffic and on an open road thereafter.
What broke the deal on this excellent car was the amount of in-cabin space it offers, I'm 6'2 and my knee constantly hit the dash while trying to change gears and it was rather annoying as it didn't just brush it actually hurt. The other was the long waiting period - 4 to 6 months - no way!!
So the polo was out.

6. Skoda Fabia again:
A few days later, my experiences still fresh in my head, my mother and I went back to Autobahn and wanted to take another drive. The sales rep was as enthusiastic about this when we had first met and at no time was I given the unwelcome, you're wasting our time feeling.
I had loads of questions from servicing to complains of owning a Skoda and all of them were answered well. He even went on to say that Skoda was aware of the negative feedback and was trying it's best to improve it's customers experience. I felt this reply was honest and which company in the world does everything right!
I sat in the car on display once again and started to check all it;s features and seating positions and the sorts all over again as I think I had made up my mind about this.

We went back home and spoke about all the cars,their costs and the experiences with my family.
They all gave me a thumbs up for the Fabia 1.2 Tdi Elegance.

I went the next day to book the car.
The Fabia Elegance in black had a waiting period of 12 weeks, I just couldn't wait so long, didnt bother checking with another dealer (JMD) and booked the Ambiente instead.
What I lost out on were the fog lamps, ABS/EBD, Alloys & a few functional features. Still feel maybe I should've waited, but hey I love my car!!

I booked the Ambiente Tdi for Rs. 10000/- and the wait time for that was only 1Week.

Time to get started on the loan process, for which I approached SBI and the loan was sanctioned in 4days straight. With the loan details ready and the payment processed the car took another 4 days for delivery. I did the PDI before the actual allotment and found everything to be fine.

Finally the next day after all the efforts and checks and drives, my Czech Beauty was delivered.

Here's a list of things that met my initial look out -
1. Better performance - hell yeah!! This car pulls, I mean it really pulls. All those talks of turbo lag can put to rest, yes i'm not denying that it's not there, but it doesn't stick out and car gets out of those rev bands real quick.
2. 4 Year warranty (2+2 extended) included in the cost of the car.
3. 315 ltr boot
4. All safety features (except ABS/EBD), including fuel cut off on crash passenger and driver airbags.
5. Excellent Interiors and loads of space all around. I could sit behind me comfortably.

All in all an excellent car, and the beginning of a new adventure!!
God Bless!!

Here are a few pictures of my car when I purchased it:

More pictures to follow soon!

Until then,

Cheers,
Aayush.
Attached Thumbnails
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03967.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03968.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03966.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03979.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04070.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04063.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04073.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04076.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc05212.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04071.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04075.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04077.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04079.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-1.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-20130112_091859.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-20130112_091842.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04010.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04015.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04023.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04024.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04005.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04027.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04011.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04012.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc04014.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-10.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03990.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03986.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc03987.jpg  

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-9.jpg  

aayushnair is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 13th January 2013, 13:09   #2
BHPian

Re: When Cars are in your DNA, You buy this!! - Skoda Fabia 1.2 Tdicr 27,000 km Revie

Hi All,

Sorry about the pictures above without any captions, I just figured on how to insert pictures into the post at intervals.

Any way, coming back to the review
Here's an update on my experience with the Czech Beauty:

1. Performance and Handling:
Since i've bought this car it has surprised me with the kind of performance it is capable of. Even today after 1.5 yrs of ownership i'm still in awe with its kick at around 1700 rpm.
The engine delivers good performance, I know a lot of feedback has been given in terms of turbo lag - i've noticed it too, but since i've been driving in an Indica for the last 10yrs I may be used to the lag! Its definitely not as much and its pretty good climbing those revs and moving into the power range. I have done a lot of highway driving (short trips to Lonavla, Malshej Ghat, Mahabaleshwar etc and a real long one to Kerela) - the car was more than a capable highway rider. Overtaking within the power range was good, and you just had to slot one gear down when not - not much of an issue for me!

Gear shifts too are smooth but not close to what i'd seen on the Fiesta, they feel a little rubbery (is this normal) but they do slot right.
The combination of a decent gearbox and responsive engine makes city driving relatively easier and a lot more relaxing. On the Highway its a different story.
I don't mean to brag, but I have done some serious speeds in this car. I've topped at between 175-180 Km/hr on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway. It took quite some time to build this speed after crossing the 150 mark, even at those speeds the car was perfectly stable and didnt give the feeling of going out of control, just stuck to the ground.
I've never really attempted such high speeds after that, I dont go above 140km/hr anymore (highways only)

The steering is very light and hardly has any feedback from the wheels, but it does weigh up once speeds cross 60-70Km/hr. It is very accurate and feels just like my FPS(first person shooter) games - Point - Shoot - Deliver!

Suspensions are on the stiffer side, all those big potholes can be heard inside the car. Smaller ones are eaten with grace. The car doesnt seem out of place or stressed while handling her over bad roads, but it does send a few thuds up my spine. Once the speed builds these too are not felt.

She has given me a consistent 14-15 Kmpl in the city and a max of around 25-27 kmpl on my trip to Kerela! (measured on a tank full to half to full)

Overall she's been a good performer in terms of fuel efficiency and driving comfort. I'd rate my experience on these fronts --> 4.5/5

Wish List:
- I would've loved to have the 1.6tdi engine thats in the Vento/Rapid in this car, would've really been a hot hatch then. Atleast give us an option to do this, Skoda/VW are you listening?
- I'm not that technical when it comes to knowing if a 3pot would be better or worse off than a 4cyl one, it doesnt lack the power but I think i'm right when we say "the more the better"
- softer suspension
- Tyres, Apollo acceleres OEM fits are not very good. They chip a lot, there's a lot of tyre noise when driving (should've changed them when I purchased the car - waiting to finish 30k and I'll definitely swap them with new shoes)

2. Features & Accessories:
I still wish I had bought the Elegance trim instead of the Ambiente, miss the fog lamps and extra safety features. Please dont say this load, dont want her to hear this!!

What I Like:
- Tilt/Telescopic steering
- Height adjustable driver seat
- Auto up/down windows with the Anti-Pinch function
- Automatic door lock (after 15km/hr)
- The speedometer looks really cool in green (I'll post a picture)

What could've been better:
- Auto windows all round (it's a 7 something on road, I mean come on - atleast an add on option)
- Incompetent Skoda service centers (I wanted to add fog lamps they just couldn't confirm if this could be done, they didnt even know how to enable the auto door lock feature - I mean I showed them the option on VAG!)
- Maxi-dot display (atleast an option)
- Roof handles all around! There's only 1 for the front passenger and tie hooks at the rear, Cost cutting galore.
- No defogger and rear wiper with wash, It's a hatch and the previous version had it stock in all variants!

3. Cost of Ownership & Problems:
The car did not come with any OEM audio system, so decided to transfer my existing ICE from my Indica over.

- Audio system transfer (3K - with new wiring and fitting charges)
Kicker Component set up front
JBL speaker at the back
JBL 1000w Sub (tube)
Blaupunkt 4 channel Amp
JBL 2channel for the sub
- Sun films all round (15K - 3M)
- 1st service (6K including Oil change)

Not to forget the amount of fuel i've bought to keep it going!! )

Well to explain in one sentence, she's been good in every sense so far; except the following times:

- Noise:
In October'11 a weird sound started from the back of the car (like a knock) everytime she went over a speed-breaker or a crater or when the car rolled on very bad roads.
This was pointed out to Skoda when I went for a general check-up, they couldn't figure this out at all. The car was at the center from the start of November'11 till December'11 mid, it was moved from one service center in Jogeshwari to another in Kurla.
Suspensions were changed parts were lubricated, the noise just didnt go! We were really frustrated with the service centers as many have pointed out the customer focus at Skoda - we didnt get any different; no calls, no information, advisors didnt know the status. We made lots of trips to the service centers to no avail.
It was also escalated to Skoda India and thats when things picked up, we were given a taxi fare compensation at Rs.1200/- per day the car was at the center (you have to produce a bill), and a Manager (Mr. Bhorde) took personal note of the car and assured us of a resolution in 2days time - He did.

The noise was gone (touch wood), he just had all the doors and the hatch refit and lubricated - done. I mean how difficult was this to be done the first time anyway!
Since then though they have been more responsive in my interactions.

- Sudden knocking of the engine and Car not starting:
August'12, I was driving to work and the engine suddenly started knocking and lost power. I had to stop switch it off and start again, which she did. I called Skoda and told them what happened, I was advised not to go out of the city and visit the center next week for which the advisor set up an appointment.
Next day she wouldnt start, the started motor was fine but the engine just wouldn't crank. I called Skoda road-side assist and they had a response time of 1hour, within the hour a skoda mechanic was at my door and we both went down to check the car. He too couldnt get it started, said he suspected a fuel pump issue. My car was then taken to Autobahn's service center on a flat bed (that really made a scene in my locality, with everyone wondering what happened! - it was a little embarassing!)
Once again the incompetent Skoda service center at play, took another day to diagnose the problem. Then another to tell me the part wasn't available and had to be ordered. I walked up to the Manager's desk and thats when once again things started moving. I was called in the evening to collect the car as it was fitted with a spare fuel pump, until the new part arrived(2days). I didnt feel very comfortable with this but I needed my car so I decided to go ahead with this.
Within 2 days the part was there and it was replaced promptly, I didnt have to wait for more than 45minutes at the service center all the paper work and fitting was done during this time.

- Oil Leakage:
October'12, at the end of my day at work in my office car lot I noticed a lot of oil accumulated under the car - it was very thick and coming from right under where the exhaust joins the catalytic converter. I immediately checked the oil levels and it was about 3/4 left, I called Skoda and they asked me to come right away. This time around service was much more responsive and I was attented to right away (I'm sure it coz of the escalations I've made).
There was a pipe lose which was tightened and the car was returned in 1Hr. All was Ok for 4-5 days, until I went for a drive on Ahmedabad highway and once back from the 150odd Km morning drive I just wanted to check if there was any oil leaking and there was!!
I wasnt very happy and immediately called Skoda - they asked me to bring the car right away.
It took them another day to now fully analyze what was leaking and said the pipe had gone bad at the connection edges and had to be replaced, once again they didnt have stock and would take 2-3 days!
The next day I got a call from the service advisor that they were able to source the pipe from another service center and the car will be ready in 1hour. I went to collect the car in the hour and the service center threw in a few goodies -they replenished the oil for free (around 1 ltr), and also gave it a free wash and wax polish.
There has been no leak since (touch wood).

- More noise:
Currently I'm still listening to be sure, but it sounds like a noise from the left wheel area (suspension may be, or engine mount) it's a little rattle which is audible when the car is very slow and goes over a bad stretch of road(problem is it's not occurring all the time); disappears when the car picks up speed. So I'm still trying to source the place and I'm also waiting for my 2nd service which is due in 3k KMs. In my things to do list now.

It's been an average experience with Skoda service centers, they're a long way from being great - but there are a few glimpses of them really trying.
What I feel is they lack the know-how or expertise about their own cars! Sometimes I feel I know more coz their logic doesn't make sense.

4. Things I'm planning:
- Monte Carlo fog lamps with the fog lam wiring kit, I want Skoda to fix this for me though - dont want warranty trouble.
- Maxi-dot display and computer - again something which is available online as OEM equipment but I want Skoda to fix this.
- Alloy wheel upgrade - looking at 15" wheels, anyone know if this is a problem with warranty?
- Double DIN navigation and DVD unit.
- A tuning box, has anybody tried this on the Skoda 1.2tdi? Please share details!

Overall my experience has been good - the Product is brilliant, wish the service was more competitive and knowledgeable!
I love my car (who doesn't) and I'm just looking forward to the years to come!

Here are as promised a few more pictures to say thank you for reading this!

Just a drive around the corner from where I live:
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06089.jpg

A trip to Tansa lake, had all the time under the sun to capture a few good pictures of her and a few other birds!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06243.jpg

Wish there was a breeze!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06335.jpg

Another morning drive to Gorai/Manori beach
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06361.jpg

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06362.jpg

I dont think you can make this!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06377.jpg

You thought wrong my friend!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06400.jpg

Is it just me or is there too much salt in this!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06420.jpg

A trip to Lonavla - wonderful is an understatement!!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06576.jpg

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06577.jpg

Why do I get to wait and watch, while you enjoy a fresh waterfall!
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc06757.jpg

On the way to Tekhady (Kerela)
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc05201.jpg

Thanks a lot for reading!

Cheers,
Aayush.
aayushnair is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th January 2013, 09:31   #3
BHPian

Re: When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms rev

A very picturesque review there. You traveled to Kerala with all that audio setup sitting in your boot? Sorry to say this but you seem to have had more visits to the service center than one would have liked. You ended the post positively although it seems your experience has been more negative than positive with Skoda.
Old 15th January 2013, 16:44   #4
BHPian

Re: When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms rev

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuel_addict View Post
A very picturesque review there. You traveled to Kerala with all that audio setup sitting in your boot? Sorry to say this but you seem to have had more visits to the service center than one would have liked. You ended the post positively although it seems your experience has been more negative than positive with Skoda.
Hi,
Thanks.

I had disconnected the sub (bass tube) to make space for our suitcase (full size) which went in lying flat, 4 large school bags at each corner, a cold 24 can Stacker on top of the suitcase and a few other small bags and a picnic basket which all fit in the nooks and corners. Trust me this was the best luggage management I've seen or done! Wish I had taken a picture! This was packed for 4 adults and my pet dog.
I left the speaker tray intact! This hatch really swallows luggage!

I'd agree with you, I've had far too many trips to the Service center than I'd have liked, but with the kind of driving (mileage) and the road conditions it's been exposed to especially on the trip the noise can be understood. Leaving that experience aside (coz it took more than a month to resolve) i have been very satisfied with the car(touch wood).
Wish I could say the same about the after sales -but it hasn't been too bad, or maybe i've just gotten used to it by expecting the worst and getting average.

Overall when I look back at all the things that have happened I dont remember the good the bad or the (ugly) average, I see my car and that it makes me very happy!
May be i'm just too optimistic - or totally in love with my car!

Cheers,
Aayush.
Old 30th March 2013, 11:23   #5
BHPian

Hi All,

Almost 2 years have now by and my car has covered 31k Kms.

This reminds me of a dialogue "It's been 84 years, and I can still smell the fresh paint. The china had never been used. The sheets had never been slept in. Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was."

Not that I'm comparing it to the Titanic, but just the feeling I get when I see her everyday!

My beauty has just been given her 2nd service (paid), and during this year here's a break up of what has been done:
1. Brake Pads and Disc Cleaning - Rs. 2296/-
2. 2nd Paid Service - Rs. 9500/-
3. Fuel Filter Replaced - Warranty (Skoda Circular)
4. Addition of Suspension Spacers - Warranty (Skoda Circular)
5. Software Update - Warranty (Skoda Circular)
6. 4 Suspension Bushes & Suspension Overhaul - Rs. 9500/-
7. Turbo Gasket Replacement (Oil Leakage) - Warranty

Everything mentioned in the above list was fine by me, what irked me the most is the amount I had to spend on the Suspension bushes and it's overhaul.
The bushes in total cost Rs. 3000/- the rest was all labor!!
There was a squeaking noise from the front suspensions everytime she went over a breaker or uneven roads at slow speeds and I just highlighted these to the SA.
What came later was the shock, the bill!
I paid it, but I still don't understand:
a. Why did it need replacement at 30k, are the bushes of such low quality or are they just not able to cope with Indian extremes ('cause they're made in Germany)?
b. Why is the labor so expensive?
c. Shouldn't a Suspension Overhaul be part of stuff covered under warranty?

This really did set me back a bit, but after this the noises were gone. Thank God and Touch Wood!

PS - about the leak from the Turbo gasket, this was the same as reported earlier. Just that they replaced the gasket once they noticed a slight leak again and topped up the oil for free.

So far so good otherwise!

It was close to my beauty's 2nd birthday, and I wanted to treat her to something!
The Apollo Acelere's were wearing out real fast and I could see a feel some loss in braking prowess and handling. It was back to the drawing board to see if I could spare some Vitamin M (having spent already on the service and the suspensions)!

In the want to do a lot of homework I started checking sites for reviews on the most popular tyre manufacturers. Out of the lot I narrowed down on Yokohama's or Michelin. I decided I'd check them out in person and decide the one I'd want to go with.
Another thought crossed my mind then, lets upgrade her to 15"; back to the review sections and manufacturer websites to narrow down on which design I'd like the most.
To my dissapointment the Fabia's 5*100 PCD is not a very common one among Alloy wheel manufacturers and designs were limited, I decided to take a tour (Im calling it a tour as I actually searched all over Bombay to finalize on the one's I like).

I narrowed in on Lenso and I really liked their Project-D designs from Raiden; but the only ones available in my size were D-Spec and E-Spec.
I bought the D-spec after a lot of trying and testing, taking pictures of other designs and photoshopping a few on my PC. Oh dont ask this was one hell of a week.

I finally bought them and shod them with 195/55-R15 Yokohama S drives.
I really wanted to go with 195/60 - AVS 550 DB series, but I was told that they may touch the wheel walls incase of bad roads.

I bought the Rims from Popular (Malad W) and got the Tyres from Saifee (this was so far my best experience i've had with a tyre service provider)

1. Lenso Project D, D-Spec (4): Rs. 24000/-
2. Yokohama S Drives 195/60/15 (4): Rs. 22000/-

Here's how they look on her:
The Alloys:
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-1202241441_aa2a55qf7r.jpg

On the Car:
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc07370.jpg

More Pictures:
When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc07373.jpg

When Cars are in your DNA, you buy this - Skoda Fabia 1.2L TDI CR. 27,000 kms review-dsc07378.jpg

Cheers,
Aayush N.
aayushnair is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 01:15   #6
BHPian

Hey Ayush! Good to see you on TBHP man! A really well written review you have here! The Fabia looks fantastic with the new shoes! Did the new tyres and rim up size make the handling and braking better? I'm looking to get wider tyres (still a while) and though I'm not worried about brake performance (abs hai na!), I'm looking forward to better handling and ride quality. Do let me know and also check the review of my Figo on tbhp!
Old 24th October 2013, 08:52   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantbhatia84 View Post
Hey Ayush! Good to see you on TBHP man! A really well written review you have here! The Fabia looks fantastic with the new shoes! Did the new tyres and rim up size make the handling and braking better? I'm looking to get wider tyres (still a while) and though I'm not worried about brake performance (abs hai na!), I'm looking forward to better handling and ride quality. Do let me know and also check the review of my Figo on tbhp!
Hi nishant, great to see you here too!

The upsize and tyre upgrade have definitely increased the handling, it feels so much more planted.
Braking too had improved because of a far more superior tyre. The ride has become s little more stiff than before as the profile has reduced a bit but other than that no complaints whatsoever!

Overall I'm enjoying the daily drive.

Cleaning them alloys needs another forum in its self! But I enjoy this alone time with my car.

Recently I just painted the brake calipers in red to give it a somewhat sporty look and also a few more things done here and there. I'll share pics as soon as I can.

Will check your car too!

Till then!

Cheers,
Aayush.
Old 24th October 2013, 11:31   #8
NMS
BHPian

Aayush,

A very well written review of the Fabia. I can relate to it quite a bit. I have one too Its a 2010 1.4 TDI. Still running as good as new after 3 years and 65000 Kms ! And luckily it hasn't given me too much to worry about ever since I bought her. When bought, it was with an intention of a 3 - 4 years ownership, but it has proved so reliable that even after getting my Safari, I am reluctant to sell it off... Frankly we might just keep it ! The interiors and the body is Rugged ! unlike what I have seen in most other hatchbacks here.
Such is the confidence, that we traveled all the way to Agra from Pune and back without even having to worry about a preparatory check done. The performance was impeccable, and remains to be so !
Slightly OT: Every time I look at a Skoda on the road, I always feel that Skoda could have done much better in India had they focused equally on their ASS. They do make some real good cars.

Last edited by NMS : 24th October 2013 at 11:32.
NMS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th October 2013, 11:56   #9
BHPian

Yeah, I really feel that skoda could've done so much better with ass.

But having said this, I still feel what they've done so far has been good if not exceptional.

I really love the feel of the car too..it's really something different from everything else I've been in or driven.

Here wishing you some more fun with your ride too!

Cheers.
aayushnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2013, 14:22   #10
BHPian

Hi All,

Just an update, it's been 7m since the last service and she needed an engine oil top-up (as indicated by the level on the measuring stick). I need to re-fill the coolant too (Anyone know which brand to use in this car? It's a pink colored coolant which is currently filled)
I decided to give the service center a miss and do this myself.

I added the same spec that is used by the SC - Castrol Edge Titanium (fully synthetic) and topped up about 400-500 ml of oil.

It's been 1 week since i've done this and there hasnt really been any change in performance (it's still good - touch wood)!

Update on performance:

1. Mileage continues to be in the same range as it used to be (14 - 16 in the city & 22+ on the highway)
2. The new tires have now run-in completely and there is a different level of control and braking with them now.
3. Ride is a little stiffer than before - but the tire noise is a lot, lot less!

What's changed so far:

1. What you already know - i've upgraded to 15" wheels..
2. I've painted the brake calipers and drum gloss red.
3. I've added red colored - 3D stickers to the front air dam vents - makes it look a lot more defined now.
4. I've added the Pioneer AVH 1590 DVD player to the already good ICE in the car.
5. I've TBHP'd the car with TBHP stickers!

What's next:
1. Fog lamps are next on my list
I've narrowed down a place which can get me these OEM for 3-4K, which is 3k less than what the SC has quoted.
2. I feel like removing the spacers added to the front suspension as the car looks too elevated from the front.
Dont know the impact this will have on the ride/suspensions.
Your views?

I will upload a few pictures as soon as I can for your feedback!

Until then,

Cheers,
Aayush.

Last edited by aayushnair : 28th October 2013 at 14:24. Reason: editing formats
Old 28th October 2013, 14:59   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aayushnair View Post
Hi All,

What's next:
1. Fog lamps are next on my list
I've narrowed down a place which can get me these OEM for 3-4K, which is 3k less than what the SC has quoted.

Hi,

I have a sliver TDI too. and loved the review you wrote. Inspires me to to do one my self.

Fog lamps are in my viewfinder too. Please let me know when you get these done and if they are to your satisfaction I would like to get them too. BTW my SC quoted 22K for the fog lamps ( Lamps + wiring change and switch change). Yours seem to be way cheaper.

Regards
RoS
Old 28th October 2013, 18:24   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rulerofsun View Post

Hi,

I have a sliver TDI too. and loved the review you wrote. Inspires me to to do one my self.

Fog lamps are in my viewfinder too. Please let me know when you get these done and if they are to your satisfaction I would like to get them too. BTW my SC quoted 22K for the fog lamps ( Lamps + wiring change and switch change). Yours seem to be way cheaper.

Regards
RoS
Absolutely, I'll let you know the break up when I get this done! But I'm shocked with the price quoted to you.

I know the switch is for around 3k bit the rest is just robbery!

Cheers,
Aayush

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks