Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2006, 15:28   #1
BHPian

indica diesel turbo DLS-800 km

I am the proud owner of a new indica turbo diesel. took delivery some 4 days back. done 800 km already. i would give that to the pune trip i had done a day back.
engine and performance- well, this car shocked me to say the least. having used all but one petrol cars through the years(the uno diesel), i really was quite disappointed when i heard that the indica was booked. for i had driven a friends indica some time back and it actually felt like a tractor compared to my ford ikon 1.6. the turbo has changed it all. it picks up smooth.somewhere between the 2 and 3thousand mark in 2nd and 3rd gear primarily, it feels as if someone has kicked you hard from behind and the car whizzes. goes smoothly to 100 without issues. not surpassed that yet coz its a new car and im showing some mercy.
build quality- pretty good. feels rocksolid but it really is early days to comment on that. space is tremendous both front and rear considering that it is a small car. paint finish good but the fibre works feel a little cheap.
grip and handling-understeer pretty prominent but maybe the ikon has spoilt me! company provided goodyears pretty ok. but maybe a size bigger and tubeless would have helped.
mileage- the hgh point of this machine. filled her to the brim when i left for pune. tank capacity is 35lit. when i returned the gauge showed just about half tank used and the car had done 358 km. so calculate for yourself!i drove between 80 and 100 of course....80 most of the time.
braking- excellent and very crisp and just much for a person lke me who is used to the gradual braking of the ford ikon.
price and value for money- at less than 4 lacs this car is just a gr8 buy for both city as well as highway use.the ac is very good and its a high comfort Zone vehicle.
my rating- all in all i would give it 4/5 stars for this segment of vehicle.
now that is just to start off with. will let u know if that changes with the passage of time.
Old 30th May 2006, 15:30   #2
Senior - BHPian

what about the Turbo lag... is it painful in the city?
Old 30th May 2006, 15:33   #3
BHPian

no i would not say that. but then i have never taken it out with an intention to speed. use it well and its just good enough for regular city use. u start thinking about it and im sure i would never takeit out on the rd coz come what may its not a fun vehicle to drive
Old 30th May 2006, 15:59   #4
BHPian

Quote:
what about the Turbo lag... is it painful in the city?
Lag is surely felt if you come from driving the petrol earliar, but you get used to it. Regarding the city driving, because of it's huge torque figures it is rather easy to drive but ya not as fun as any petrol or CRDI.
Old 30th May 2006, 18:44   #5
BHPian

Congratulations for your new baby. How effective is the a/c in the Turbo version and what is the top speed claimed by the company?
Old 30th May 2006, 19:44   #6
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to ask you.... how come its DLS ? I thought Turbo is available as DLG and DLX only!?
Old 30th May 2006, 23:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Yes ... the Indica in its Turbo avtaar is definitely peppier.. in fact feels totally different - A common rail system can make this RED HOT .... hmmmmmm... cant wait!

Last edited by kb100 : 30th May 2006 at 23:57.
Old 31st May 2006, 06:47   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Forgot to ask you.... how come its DLS ? I thought Turbo is available as DLG and DLX only!?
Hi! Dceite, Tata motors recently launched Tata Indica DLS Turbo few weeks back. It comes with airconditioning, power steering and floor console for mobile charger or cigaratte lighter.
DLS DLG DLX

BHP 62PS@4500 68PS@4500 68PS@4500

torque 12.5kgm@2500 13kgm@2500 13kgm@2500

Tyres 165x65 R13 165x65 R14 165x65 R14

For more information please check their website http://www.indica.tatamotors.com/Turbo/Index.aspx

Bye and take care

Last edited by horsepower : 31st May 2006 at 06:57.
Old 31st May 2006, 07:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

How come the DLS being Turbo produce lesser output than DLG and DLX... both BHP and Torque are lesser.... is it without Intercooler?
Old 31st May 2006, 12:01   #10
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsepower
Hi! Dceite, Tata motors recently launched Tata Indica DLS Turbo few weeks back. It comes with airconditioning, power steering and floor console for mobile charger or cigaratte lighter.
DLS DLG DLX

BHP 62PS@4500 68PS@4500 68PS@4500

torque 12.5kgm@2500 13kgm@2500 13kgm@2500

Tyres 165x65 R13 165x65 R14 165x65 R14

For more information please check their website http://www.indica.tatamotors.com/Turbo/Index.aspx

Bye and take care
What I find interesting is that the DLS has a smaller wheel diameter (13") as compared to the DLG/DLX. When you see the specs at the above website, you find that the kerb weight and dimensions are same for all the variants; the only difference is that the DLG/DLX have a higher power/torque output. So the question in my mind is: what is the logic in raising the rim diameter to 14", without messing with the tyre profile and width? It seems to me that once the rim diameter is increased, one should also increase the tyre width and reduce profile in order to maintain handling/steering/cornering characteristics. So why not, say, 175/60-R14 for the DLG/DLX? Maybe Tata is very particular about ride quality on bad Indian roads and doesn't mind sacrificing performance for its high-end variants?
Regards, rks
Old 31st May 2006, 12:11   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
How come the DLS being Turbo produce lesser output than DLG and DLX... both BHP and Torque are lesser.... is it without Intercooler?
Pete's time I guess for Indica!

And wont the 14inch tyres cause odo read and hence a diff odometer for the diffrent versions?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks