Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2006, 04:10   #1
BHPian

Review: Honda CVT 2005

I recently posted a review of CVT in my blog. I have had the car for an year now, hence the review qualifies as long term ownership report.

http://silkboard.wordpress.com/2006/...onda-city-cvt/
Old 13th June 2006, 13:44   #2

Hi,
nice review. I also got the NHC ZX CVT. I like it a lot. Agree with you totally on the negatives. 2006 model came with CD/MP3 player, but no casette.
What pissed me off was the lack of ABS/EBD/air bags. For a car of this price range, I felt that should be included. Otherwise, I find it quite good.
Regarding lack of power, so far I have driven to Mysore and couple of times on ORR. Found the power to be quite good ----- on Mysore road, was driving at 90 and did not realise. Had to look at the speedo to know that I was at that speed.

Anirban
Old 14th June 2006, 13:21   #3
BHPian

Good review; you are right, there are no other reviews anywhere about the CVT and the fact is that there is no competition; when i asked around in Feb/Mar 2006, the only cars with an automatic option (not SUV's) were WagonR, Santro, Honda City, Toyota Corolla and Chevrolet Optra. The 1st two were too small and the last two were too expensive; so really Honda City CVT is the only mid-priced car that is available in the market today.

I drive mostly on the ORR, so my FE has been good; 1st full tank i got 11+ (with accessories fitting in between and suspected petrol pilfering), 2nd fill i cannot calculate (since the car had gone for a 1st service yesterday and again I suspect petrol pilfering) yet; will have to get guess figures, but it looks good - around 13.

Anirban, i havent seen any of your car pics posted yet. let me know if i have missed your post.
Old 14th June 2006, 13:30   #4

Hi Wheeliej,
hadn't had time to take a pic or post my review. Had been at the back of my mind for quite sometime, was a bit too tied. Will try to post pics and initial impression hopefully by this weekend.
Forgot to mention, I got a mileage of around 10.2kmpl for the first time ----- about 50% on Mysore Road and rest on bumper-to-bumper traffic and was driving (god knows for how long!!!) with a flat tyre. Will do a more accurate measurement this time.

Anirban
Old 14th June 2006, 21:52   #5
BHPian

thanks guys

Thanks Anirban, Wheeliej, Nimish. Looks like its hard to find an unhappy CVT owner. FE is indeed impressive.

BTW, I noticed that the 2005 NHC has slightly better suspension that the 2006 ZX. Did you guys notice that too? Anirban, that explains why you were more disappointed than myself with the suspension.

ZX does look a bit better than the prev NHC. I also think CVT is selling a bit better now, I have been seeing a few more of these around here these days.

One more positive I failed to mention in the review is its "taller" profile. Getting in and out of NHC is more comfortable than Baleno or Aveo or even the Fiesta . NHC stands around 6-7 inches taller (not measured - a guess) than my Baleno, even though NHC's ground clearance is smaller than Baleno.

Anirban - I agree 'power' is only an argubale negative. I feel the NHC power thing is overhyped. Its more than fine for city needs, and does it for the highway as well.
Old 15th June 2006, 00:09   #6
BHPian

Indeed , there is so less noise about the CVT that it makes prospective buyers like me to think again and again, but I think after reading the review and the comments thereafter , I am almost sure to go for a CVT.
Old 16th June 2006, 11:26   #7

CVT: stressbuster

Nice review, that. The time's coming when a lot of us will be thinking long and hard about auto options. After all, it's the same story everywhere: crawling traffic that takes a toll of your left foot and left hand, and finally, the entire nervous system! But the Honda CVT is beyond me at the moment. What gives me hope is the announcement that the Maruti Wagon MR CVT is round the corner. I wonder how smoth and responsive these budget autos are in crowded city streets (others being Satro AT and Wagon R AX). Are they absoulte sluggards or can they beat those red lights and brush aside a few taxis and autorickshaws? Any thoughts any one?
Old 23rd June 2006, 13:51   #8
BHPian

btw

BTW, did you guys know that Tata's 1 lakh car is going to be a CVT? Or at least it will have an automatic option. From what I read, the aim is to make it easier for women to drive this car.

So come 2008, the cheapest automatic car will be just over Rs 1 lakh!
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:17   #9
BHPian

tata cvt?

considering the service tata gives to its BELOVED customers? wonder how the 1 lak segment automatic car would have an impact on its consumers?? supposedly easy for women to drive? lets leave some light to tata people.
Old 23rd June 2006, 14:27   #10
BHPian

CVT and women

Now that I search, I can't find that article where I got the CVT and women connection from. Though the CVT bit has been mentioned in many articles about this car. See this one for example.

I also recall reading that "the base model may not have doors at all and instead have some sort of curtains". Sounds so interesting. Luckily, I could search this article once again.

Back to the CVT topic, Tata is looking to do a Kinetic here. Gearless scooters made women buy them. This 1 lakh car could do the same, why not?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks