Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th April 2014, 12:22   #16
BHPian

Re: 1990 Maruti 800 "Automatic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by svsantosh View Post
I have read some place that the M800AT came with a "Automatic" badging, but mine didnt, sadly!! I will try to replicate the same position monogram with a sticker job (White on Black) - should do justice to the originality of the car.
I think you can get the MGP "Automatic" badge itself that was being used in A-star Automatic. Should cost around 100 bucks or so.It would look more stock and genuine than a sticker job.
VinodDevil81 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 13:32   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
I think you can get the MGP "Automatic" badge itself that was being used in A-star Automatic. Should cost around 100 bucks or so.It would look more stock and genuine than a sticker job.
The A-star Automatic badge looks a little different. See the pic below. You can give it a try, though.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post2484686

Last edited by jinojohnt : 24th April 2014 at 13:42.
Old 24th April 2014, 14:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderers View Post
Really amazed to see at M800 AT in real good condition. The inside door panels still have cellophane covers ( Am i looking correctly) and the leather rapped steering wheel looks newer as well.------For AT badge, please contact traditional Number plate makers, who may put metallic A & T together.
Thanks. I think the cello is a AFM job, common among seat upholstery shops.

The OE steering (had a 1990 stamp in the center), was brittle, cracked and too thin anyways to use safely. A good friend picked this Leather Wrapped ZEN wheel from Mayapuri for 200Rs. It is about 10MM smaller in Dia, but perfect. The OE 800 wheel was HuGE!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinodDevil81 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jinojohnt View Post
The A-star Automatic badge looks a little different.
Thanks guys, thought abt the Auto Logo from A-Star, did not want to attract logo stealers (I dont have safe car park, its on the road).

-----------

After the front wheels abuse was uncovered, the rear got the same job - 2 wheel brake cylinders (560Rs) and all new brake oil after bleeding out the system.

Also, found the 1-inch front strut spacer for 360Rs a pair. Got them too.

1990 Maruti 800 "Automatic"-img20140423wa0013.jpg

1990 Maruti 800 "Automatic"-img_20140423_180340.jpg

Next I will go for 1 extra leaf for rear wheels. How easy is it to get the fiber rear leaf for 800? Was it from Maruti or a AFM job?

Last edited by svsantosh : 24th April 2014 at 14:41.
svsantosh is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 24th April 2014, 18:59   #19
D4D
BHPian

I didn't know that a M800 At existed. Unique car you have there. Consider overhauling(read: restoration) of body after a couple of years. It will be an antique piece in the market by then.
Old 24th April 2014, 19:19   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I couldnt make out the 2Speed or 3Speed Auto Box (How to find out?), but the 'top' gear engages only after 45ish Kmph.
Its easy. An auto shifts from one gear to another so you just have to watch for it and count. The carb ones have a distinct jerk especially.

Quote:
I read on some other indian auto forum the 87-92 M800 AT were made to order for 'specially abled' people on proving proof of disability from govt doctor and there was some 25% subsidy on the cost of the car. Once Maruti realized how easy it was to get a fake doc letter, they stopped this scheme (again, thats what the net says)
All just stories. back then nobody was interested in buying an AT given all the myths surrounding it...even it was same cost as manual they were not willing to take the FE hit
Old 24th April 2014, 22:26   #21
BHPian

That's an extremely unique car you've bought!
My father had the opportunity to drive one of these in the 90s & he was thoroughly surprised back then, too! Showed him these pictures and saw the M800 nostalgia on his face!
Old 24th April 2014, 22:30   #22
BHPian

Wow. Had never heard of an AT 800. She is a keeper. Should be a rare piece.
Old 24th April 2014, 23:24   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Right drive shaft CV joint bearing is shot!

Drive Shaft posed a challenge, O.E Parts stockist doesnt have any pre 1994 model parts list in database. So he could not see the BOM (Bill of material) for this 1990 M800-AT. He has never heard of it

So sending the Chassis#/Engine# to Maruti (delhi) to check if they can support this part.

BUT - A maruti 800 (manual) drive shaft (right side 2800Rs) will fit from bearing side onwars to wheel hub. The gearbox side is perfect for now.

More details here

So (right side) drive shaft work pending for now.

i did look up the electronic parts catalogue for maruti that i have. got it from the mgp dealers in delhi. anyways in that catalogue it doesnt show a seperate axle for the AT. according to that the axles are same for the AT and manual car.

also AFAIK your car has a 3 speed manual not a 2 speed. yes the esteem and zen came with 3 speed manuals too but those gearboxes are interchangeable between those 2 cars with the ratios being different and speedo error creeping in, but your gearbox cant be interchanged with either of those two cars.

also the parts catalogue i have says that the torque convertor for the 800 is for 31k not for 24 like the zen. and this manual is from 2010, so maybe the prices are more now that the rupee has tumbled significantly
Old 25th April 2014, 08:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
.. Consider overhauling(read: restoration) of body after a couple of years. It will be an antique piece in the market by then.
Yes, Already have a good ol' friend with the Hosur MASS owner, from my alto days. He said come over any day for a whole body spruce up and respray. Floor boards needs some panels, all toghether shdnt cross 25K (higher side), its needs it anyways in a years time. The F.C is due in mid 2015.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Its easy. An auto shifts from one gear to another so you just have to watch for it and count. The carb ones have a distinct jerk especially.
Hmm I did, the 1st-2nd is smooth, almost unnoticeable, grey area there - 2nd-3rd pushes you back a bit (so the 1st to 2nd is very grey for me, hence the doubt of 2 Vs 3Spd.

Quote:
All just stories. back then nobody was interested in buying an AT given all the myths surrounding it...even it was same cost as manual they were not willing to take the FE hit
Ha, ok got it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yash1229 View Post
Showed him these pictures and saw the M800 nostalgia on his face!
Made my day... if you ever need a TD, you know whom to contact

Quote:
Originally Posted by DudeWithaFiat View Post
Wow. Had never heard of an AT 800. She is a keeper. Should be a rare piece.
Rare - yes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
i did look up the electronic parts catalogue for maruti that i have...

Can you send it across? I will PM you my email id.

Quote:
but your gearbox cant be interchanged with either of those two cars.
yes, I assumed so, a 1Ltr engine and above that a diff family block should have a different bell housing.

Quote:
also the parts catalogue i have says that the torque convertor for the 800 is for 31k not for 24 like the zen. and this manual is from 2010, so maybe the prices are more now that the rupee has tumbled significantly
Hehe, I am not spending 30K~ flywheel for a 45K car. I would rather sell in as-is condition for a small loss to a person who sees collectors value in it.

PS - Already a good friend/tbhpian (bangalore dude) who saw this TN regn Advert and passed (for paper work), asked me to give him a head-up when I am ready to part with this...
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 18:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Its a 3 speed and same as the one used in the Zen AT.

Two speed autos were around in the 50s probably
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th April 2014, 19:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Are you sure? Suzuki Alto that was exported to Europe during that era was our M800 as per Wikipedia. It says 4 speed MT and 2 speed AT.

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto#Other_markets

Last edited by zenren : 25th April 2014 at 19:19.
Old 28th April 2014, 09:30   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenren View Post
Are you sure? Suzuki Alto that was exported to Europe during that era was our M800 as per Wikipedia. It says 4 speed MT and 2 speed AT.

Here is the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_Alto#Other_markets

The wiki is again a open source database right? can you look up the parts DB you have for in-GB parts to try to make out the 2vs3 part? And if the outer casing of this and zen are same?
Old 28th April 2014, 11:31   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
can you look up the parts DB you have for in-GB parts to try to make out the 2vs3 part?
Sorry, I'm not sure I understand what you mentioned! What parts DB are you referring to?
Old 28th April 2014, 14:41   #29
Senior - BHPian

Ignore ^^ post - apologize.

I was replying thru a mobile and mistook zenren post for mycarhasablower, PS - I am working to get that MGP database he has.
svsantosh is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th April 2014, 16:54   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycarhasablower View Post
AFAIK your car has a 3 speed manual not a 2 speed.
Quote:
The 800 AT is a 2 speed. In fact I remember reading it in TBHP itself.

Quote:
Maruti uses a lot of obsolete technology

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks