Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th July 2006, 10:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Review: Optra 1.6 5000kms

Almost 5 months since i bought the blazing red optra 1.6 base version. gave it for the first free service (after the initial reassurance check at 1k), the sales manager of sundaram happens to live close to my place so he was kind enough to come and pick the car and promised to deliver it the same day by noon.

About the car:
1.6 optra base version with grey interiors (got a good discount on that)
Kms run :5300 kms
Fuel :
HP power from day one
Fuel economy :
roughly 10.5 to 11 kms to the litre within city with ac on always ; 13 kms on highways.
ride and handling:
i drive about 30 kms per day over good and bad village roads, ride is smooth and does not throw you around on rough roads, ground clearance is ok for normal roads but it scrapes the ground every time i visit my farm, not touched any road humps as of date even with four passengers.
initial pick up seems sluggish, but i'm used to it as i had a cielo before and it feels the same. have done about 3 long drives ad the car is a beauty on the highways, very stable at speeds over 100kmph, and steering does not feel too light at those speeds.
Maintenence : no money spent on any spares or repairs, but had a problem with the battery after a month of purchase, had parked the car for about 10 days without using it and when i tried to start it on the 11th day, battery was dead, checked if i had left any lights on or doors open but everything was ok, the battery had just died. Jump started with a spare battery and used the car for about 30 kms and again the next day battery was dead. Make of the battery is AC delco, apparently it is amaron oem for GM, went to the service station and was told that i would have to leave the car for a day to get the wiring checked, since i could not leave it that day, asked them for a spare battery and told them that if it was the wiring then even that battery would go dead, meanwhile they asked amaron people to come and check the original battery at my place and do the needful. very prompt response from amaron, they sent their technician who checked the output voltage and said everything seemed fine with the car, he took the battery for testing and it was delivered after two days, the problem according to them was that on delivery of the car the battery would not have been completely charged and it was running on part charge throughout, hence the discharge on parking for a long period. No problems hence.
The service:
usual oil and filter changes, had wanted them to fit a nautilus horn with a changeover switch, the optra does not have provision for any addition switches, was charged labour and for cost of wires and fuses. bill came to 794/- .
Accessories:
All stock fittings, additional blaupunkt mp3 player along with oem headunit, art leather seat covers, chrome door handles and scuff plates and of course the nautilus (man it is loud).
Overall feel :
Good solid comfy car, feels like a true upgrade after the cielo, transition between the two was very easy, seems like a higher end version of cielo at times, only getting used to the switch operations took a couple of days.
Old 26th July 2006, 11:33   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice review lukeskywalker. Which colour is your car? & What are scuff plates ??
Old 26th July 2006, 11:38   #3
Senior - BHPian

It's blazing red, dont know how to post a pic here yet, am figuring it out, scuff plates are showy steel plates which are stuck on the door sill so they prevent scratches on the paint work when you are getting in and out of the car
Old 26th July 2006, 17:12   #4
Senior - BHPian

my optra

Last edited by Lukeskywalker : 26th July 2006 at 17:15. Reason: wrong link
Old 26th July 2006, 17:16   #5
Senior - BHPian

why is not the pic showing up?
Old 26th July 2006, 17:30   #6
BANNED

Nice review, Skywalker. All the best with your car. Let us know how it goes with the other mods you're planning - lights etc.
Old 26th July 2006, 18:53   #7
Senior - BHPian

I think you should use www.imageshack.us for image hosting.
Old 26th July 2006, 21:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Nice review. The Optra looks awesome in blazing red colour . Try using imageshack and post some more pics of your car. The fuel economy is damn good.
Old 26th July 2006, 22:18   #9
Senior - BHPian

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/iipcache/34941.jpg
Old 26th July 2006, 22:23   #10
Senior - BHPian

The pic finally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeskywalker
Sorry mods if i did it wrong, but somehow managed to get a picture of my car for the first time, teach me the right way, by the way i'm no software guy
Old 26th July 2006, 23:33   #11
Senior - BHPian

Hey you can post through imageshack like this.

By the way red really looks good on the car.
Old 3rd August 2006, 15:09   #12
BHPian

[SIZE=2]Nice review dude, Just one question how does the car perform on a rainy day, can the car wade through knee deep water looged roads as is the norm in our country.[/SIZE]
Old 3rd August 2006, 19:20   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiranpashtakar
[SIZE=2]Nice review dude, Just one question how does the car perform on a rainy day, can the car wade through knee deep water looged roads as is the norm in our country.[/SIZE]
Never taken her for a swim yet, so can't say much on that, but through puddles, goes with a muted roar, and no problems afterwards.
Old 5th September 2006, 12:27   #14
BHPian

I've an Optra LS which has done around 4000 kms. It gives a mileage of 9.0 with AC in Bangalore. So far, no expenses..touchwood. Ultra comfy ride. GM recommends adding Iftex system G (additive) to the fuel. Does anyone has any inputs regarding its usefulness ?
Old 5th September 2006, 15:16   #15
Senior - BHPian

It cleans the injectors, etc to give you a smooth ride.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks