Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2015, 14:56   #1
BHPian

Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience EDIT: SOLD at 4.25 years, 94k km!

My tryst with the Skoda Superb

Its been over 2 years and 4 months since my purchase of a second hand Skoda Superb

Purchase
I purchase the Skoda Superb 2.0 TDI AT Elegance model , second hand in June 2013. The manufacturing date was 2010 and the car was company owned and done about 35,000 km. It was covered with extended warranty for one more year unto Sept 2014. I had bought the car because it was diesel which did not have the infamous transmission issues and i had heard and read that Skoda had improved its service.

The first thing i did after purchase was to change the tires. I Went for Yoko decibels. I had also read on the forum that JMD auto, Bhandup was the best Skoda service center available in Mumbai. So I gave it for a full checkup to the JMD workshop at Bhandup. Another reason for giving it immediately was that there was a headlight error indicator which was showing at the time of purchase. Ignorant as i was, I went with what the dealer had said. He said it was just a bulb issue and the service center should replace it for a few hundred rupees.

04-July-13 - Car in workshop for 5 days
Imagine my shock when i was told by JMD that the AFS was spoilt/damaged. Also the AFS cannot be replaced by itself and the full headlight would have to be replaced. When i asked the cost i was told it would be about 50k. I asked them to cover it under the extended warranty. They showed my a crack in the headlight and said this was not a failure of the headlight but an accident and hence no warranty. The explanation they gave was that the car headlight had hit something and cracked and water had entered the crack and shorted the AFS circuitry. Well i paid. The headlight cost me 32k and total service bill came to 47k which included replacing the wipers and the headlight washer sprayjet.

18-Jul-13 - Car in workshop for 1 day
The fuel cap lid would not open and stays closed. Took it to JMD workshop and they identified it as a faulty actuator. Replaced for Rs.850 again no warranty

01-Aug-13 - Car in workshop for 7 days
3 lights came on at the same time (ABS, ESP and tire pressure). Took it to JMD who identified it as an ABS sensor error. This was covered under extended warranty, but because of the process involved in claiming extended warranty my car was in the workshop for 7 days. Service was pathetic, not once in those 7 days did the service adviser call me up to update on status. Always i had to call him up.

21-Sep-13 - Car in workshop for 4 days
ABS error again. ABS sensor identified as culprit. But this time of a different wheel. Same service, no updates. I send a complaint mail to SKODA. They just forwarded it to JMD. But no parts available. So i took the car back. When leaving the workshop I noticed that the auto roll-up feature of windows was no longer working. Again went back and showed it to the SA. They attached the VAS scanner and reset it.

28-Sep-13 - Car in workshop for 2 days
Power window button not working. Approval for extended warranty not yet received. ABS sensor not yet arrived

02-Oct-13 - Car in workshop for 2 days
ABS sensor arrived, but extended warranty process not completed.

11-Oct-13 - Car in workshop for 1 day
Power window button replacement arrived.

28-Oct-13 - Same day repair
Battery failed. The same was replaced at JMD

09-Nov-13 - Car in workshop for 1 day
First service since i bought the car (Rs.18000)

25-Jun-14 - Car in workshop for 15 days
There was leakage inside the cabin and water was accumulating at drivers feet. Further AC was also not working. Leakage identified as caused because drainage from Sunroof was choked. The same was cleaned. (It is here that i feel they damaged the sunroof frame). AC failure was identified as a problem with the evaporator coil. The part was not available and vehicle was disassembled so i was not allowed to take the car back. The part was replaced after 15 days.

13-Sep-14 - Car in workshop for 8 days
Same ABS sensor error and Sunroof not closing all the way. The rubber padding of the sunroof does not go down automatically. The ABS sensor was replaced but the error continued, so new sensors were ordered. They said they lubricated the sunroof but it was still not closing well.

29-Sep--14 - Car in workshop for 1 day
ABS sensor arrived and was called for replacement. Sunroof was making a rattling sound. They confirmed that the patti used in the sunroof was broken and hence the noise was coming. It would cost 10K for replacement of patti. They completely denied that it was their fault and that they had broken it previously. Also since extended warranty got over on 4th Sept the ABS sensor was not replaced under warranty.

27-Dec-14 - Car in workshop for 3 days
2nd Service after purchase
Sunroof patti replaced at my cost ( i just could not stand the rattling sound). Horn not working replaced. After taking the car back, realized the sunroof was still making noise, and more importantly the glove box door was damaged like some body had forced in down. Was asked to bring in for repair next week. Cost - Rs. 24K

03-Jan-15 - Car in workshop for 1 day
Noise was identified as coming from glove box and not sunroof. Also another noise identified coming from suspension. When asked why the suspension noise was not identified during the full paid service, they said that during full paid service they take a very small test drive. They said Glove box was damaged and had to be replaced. The same would cost Rs. 13k, but part not available. Told them not to do anything. On reaching home found the glove box even further damaged, it was not even sitting properly in its place. Sent an complaint mail to Skoda which was dutifully forwarded to JMD.

10-Jan-15 - Car in workshop for 1 day
Glove box fixed with glue work and patch work.

06-Jun-15 - Car in workshop for 5 days
Suspension noise and brake issue identified during previous service fixed, by replacing suspension and brake pad. Cost Rs. 94k. Point to note here is that none of the old parts were returned. But this time glove box completely destroyed, cannot be fitted back also. They said it was already damaged and hence broke when investigating noise in suspension.

24-Jun-15 - Car in workshop for 4 days
Two issues was there
1. Noise coming from front. Seems to be from suspension
2. Water logging on drivers foot. Again clogging of Sunroof drainage.
I was called by the SA and told there was a issue with the suspension and the same will have to be replaced. I told him it was just replaced 2 weeks back, he said not it was not. I asked him to check and he came back and said yes it was replaced and that he would check for the source again. Noise identified as some loose fitting in the suspension job done earlier (at least that was the explanation given)

Water logging cleaned and returned.

When taking the car i noticed my rear seat - floor mats were missing. When asked about this, the SA claimed that they received it like that only and the floor mat was not there. I just gave up. Later in the evening the SA called up to tell me that the floor mats were there at the workshop and were removed by the people who were cleaning the water logging in the car.

29-Jun-15 - Car in workshop for 4 days
Two issues was there
1. Again sound coming from front of car. Issue identified as nail stuck in suspension (at least that is the reason the service adviser gave me)
2. Bluetooth not working - Adviser claims its because of the water logging which damaged the blue tooth component.
When i was taking the car out of JMD workshop, noticed the airbag error indicator was on. Called the SA and showed him. He said it was probably triggered when they were working on the bluetooth. he took that car back in and got the error reset.

30-Sep-15 - Car in workshop for 1 day
ABS and brake error light + coolant error light.
JMD identifies it as a spoilt ABS unit. Replacement cost of unit Rs 1.5 lacs. Coolant error because small leakage in radiator, needs to be replaced. I was advised to do welding outside.

Summary
Overall my experience with SKODA and JMD has been a nightmare. Even with extended warranty the car used to be in the workshop for such a long time. Their Service Advisers are not up-to the mark to put it politely.

Out of the total of 828 days that i have owned the car it was in the workshop for 62 days. That mean that the car is in the workshop for 2 months.

I will be getting rid of this car soon and i don't think i will ever go near the VW group(Skoda, VW, Audi) cars again. I find it very hard to believe that the company takes no ownership of issues raised by their customers and simple forward it back to the dealer whom you are complaining against.

Well to summarize, Skoda superb is a lovely vehicle to drive, but God help you if you have to visit their service centers. If you are planning to buy a Skoda superb then my advice to you is as follows:
- Dont buy it second hand.
- Alway purchase new and ensure you buy the 2 year extended warranty to give you a total 4 year coverage.
- Sell the car before the end of 4 years.
jinu_joseph is offline   (95) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 17:39   #2
BHPian

re: Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience EDIT: SOLD at 4.25 years, 94k km!

Hi Jinu,

Sad to read the post. should have been frustrating for you.
I have a rapid and i have had a good experience with the JMD nerul service station. The SA Abhijeet is good and i ensure my car is taken care by him. 3 years and 67K Kms done, car has been to the service center < 10 times and has always been dealt with properly. May be you want to try JMD nerul unless you stay far west in Mumbai .
Old 3rd October 2015, 19:48   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda Superb - Bitter overall experience

Sorry but having noises and minor errors is par for the course for a 5 year old car. Personally, I would not have bothered about minor noises in such an old car. As for the ABS warnings, they are commonplace as well. (Just look at Briskoda or any such forum). The problems you faced with the ABS etc in 2013 could have been due to a weakening battery. Attending to every minor fault is a recipe for spending through your nose, which is what has happened here. And the ability of service centres of any brand to diagnose problems is mediocre at best.

Just chill, and give your car for service only when it does not run or Red warnings come on. Telling the dealer that you want an economical solution instead of a perfect one is also a good idea. Best of luck.

Last edited by Hayek : 3rd October 2015 at 20:02.
Hayek is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I will be getting rid of this car soon and i don't think i will ever go near the VW group(Skoda, VW, Audi) cars again.
I dont disagree with you. Post warranty the car can be maintained at your own will and at your own cost. Which includes sourcing parts from different places and finding your own mechanic.

The experience you have gone through is ridiculous and they have charged you at every instance.

Last three months i have been writing stinkers to VW customer car and finally they agreed to estimate and do me a discount for air compressor replacement.

In a way i feel you let them take you for a ride and they dont deserve you as a customer.

Volkswagen group with the current scandal is GOING down for good. Atleast in US i can expect buyers to get compensated one way or another while Indian the story is completely different.

VW has lost its golden era and i wont be surprised if they go down in the drains.
Old 3rd October 2015, 21:42   #5
Senior - BHPian

Really sad to hear your experience. Skoda is really a unfriendly car to maintain unless you take personal attention at every step.
Old 4th October 2015, 00:09   #6
Senior - BHPian

Hello Jinu joseph, Its really sad to read your post, Can surely feel the frustration you might be going through, Since i too own a VW Jetta, And honestly i am frustrated with the service centre too.

In my case, VW Sewri service centre took 1 week for the normal 1st year servicing, While doing that, They broke the rear AC vents and the front left passenger side window switch and sent the car back! After multiple complains and screaming on the phone they agreed to replace both under warranty! In short all of this took more than 2 weeks! And yes rattling noises that i had mentioned were always ignored and never rectified, Which still is present with the arm rest, From dashboard near the headunit and the rear parcel tray!

Time for the general checkup, Should have been a simple 1-2hour or max 5hour job right? Had sent the car to the Kurla autobahn, I had dropped the car at 10 am and i waited till 5pm to get a call about the car, Finally i was called at 6, As soon as i sat in the car i saw the TPMS light on! (Jetta doesn't come with TPMS) Upon asking them about it, The SA casually said we will check the tire pressure and the light will go off automatically They had to contact VW germany regarding this and finally i got the car back at 9pm! One whole day wasted!

Apart from this, a month back my car had the airbag error on the MFD, Sent the car to the kurla Autobahn service centre this time, It took them 2 days to find the problem, A Simple VCD scan had showed me the crash sensor in the drivers door has gone kaput, It took them 2 days just to know this! As usual and expected the part was not in stock, And it would take around 10 days to come, It did arrive only after 14 days though, They installed the part and still the same airbag error and then call me up saying the wiring also would have to be changed and which also has to be ordered, This time i was told the wiring would take 25 days to come, Since it would come from Germany to Aurangabad to Mumbai! Its been 10 days, I am still waiting for the wiring kit to arrive, Several calls and emails to the VW customer hasn't been to any important use as of now.

Apart from all this, My front charging point wasn't working, Had reported this issue as well, But the warranty was clearly denied saying the charging point was pushed too hard and because of that it isn't working! (I never use the charging point in the first place, iPhone cable is in the glovebox which i use)

My spare key which never worked from day one, Was also denied to be claimed under warranty saying the key is rusted from inside and hence warranty cannot be claimed.

On top of all this every time i send my car to the service centre they push me towards buying the extended warranty!

I cannot drive the car with the Airbag error, Its risky in several ways.

Just like you said, You would mostly not go anywhere near Audi, VW or Skoda, Well guess what? Its the same for me.

The car is lovely to drive, But the after sales is what spoils everything. Might consider getting my car serviced someplace else.

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 4th October 2015 at 00:13.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 00:10   #7
BHPian

I would like to share some ideas which can keep your mind at peace at those useless workshops

1. Never trust those service center mechanics and always get your car serviced in front of you which would eventually lead to better service experience.
2. Always take your car on weekdays (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday) for servicing.
3. Never leave your car in their workshop if the parts are not available.
4. Always fight for the warranty claims since you have paid for it.
5. Never take an AMC (Annual maintenance contract) since those are just marketing tricks for easy commission by service advisers and it just looks cheap but is not always cheap.
6. Always go to an specialized workshops for second opinion e.g. tires, engine diagnostics since they can be cheaper and give you much unbiased opinion.
7. Do servicing of your car as per the car manual since the car engineers know your car much better than those commission hungry service advisers.
technicalytuned is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 11:49   #8
BHPian

Hey folks thanks for all your responses.

One more update. I had taken the car to Jatin of wagenwrkz and the first thing he asked me was if the brake fluid was ever changed. I checked the service bills and realized that the brake fluid was never changed. This is in spite of the service manual highlighting this as a warning that the brake fluid has to be changed after the first 3 years and then every 2 years. Its been 5 years and the brake fluid was never changed. As per Jatin this could cause the ABS system to get damaged (something about residue in the break fluid increasing viscosity and hence increasing stress on the ABS pump). He bled and refilled the brake fluid, but the ABS stayed broken. How can the service center miss such a major thing for a paid service.
jinu_joseph is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 15:36   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Hey folks thanks for all your responses.

One more update. I had taken the car to Jatin of wagenwrkz and the first thing he asked me was if the brake fluid was ever changed. I checked the service bills and realized that the brake fluid was never changed. This is in spite of the service manual highlighting this as a warning that the brake fluid has to be changed after the first 3 years and then every 2 years. Its been 5 years and the brake fluid was never changed. As per Jatin this could cause the ABS system to get damaged (something about residue in the break fluid increasing viscosity and hence increasing stress on the ABS pump). He bled and refilled the brake fluid, but the ABS stayed broken. How can the service center miss such a major thing for a paid service.
Wow, Thats big. I suggest you to get your car checked further with wagenwrkz, They know what they are doing, Are knowledgable, Which surprisingly is not the case with the skoda and VW's After Sales!
Old 4th October 2015, 16:12   #10
Team-BHP Support

Hi, sorry to hear about the experience. While the Skoda service is not the greatest I don't think they are entirely to blame.

I don't mean to offend you, but this is the very reason that pre owned vehicles should be thoroughly checked before purchase. Especially European cars with their boatload of electronics.

Also you cannot trust a dealers word on something. Did you call him up after it was discovered that the headlight error was more than a few thousand to fix?

When buying pre owned, the first thing I would do after buying (if the pre purchase inspection was all clear) would be to give it for a service and get all (and I mean all) the fluids changed along with the filters and anything else that needs to be done.

Lastly, why did you not try another Skoda workshop? Considering your experience with them was not good since the beginning why bother to go back to them?

I know my points don't help you, but they may help others looking at a pre owned car.
Akshay1234 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 4th October 2015, 16:45   #11
BHPian

Hi Akshay, for the headlight incident i dont blame Skoda or JMD for the problem. That was my problem and a miss from my side during my discussion with the dealer.

But even then JMDs first response was to discourage me from fixing it by quoting an exorbitant amount. I think they had quoted 50K as just the part cost. Their explanation was since the Headlight was cracked, the headlight housing would be about 38K and since the AFS cricuit was blown that would be another 12-15K and they had to be purchased separately. They had suggested that i live with it. BUt i insisted that it be changed/fixed and then found the cost to be Rs. 31374 including the AFS unit

Regarding why i did not go to other workshop, primarily because of the feedback, JMD was supposed to be the best, if they were messing things up i cant imagine how the others would be.

Anyways i think i am done with the VW group. Like i said Skoda cars should never be considered for second hand purchase. Even first hand they should be disposed off as soon as extended warranty expires.
jinu_joseph is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th October 2015, 17:40   #12
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your experience, I am using a Skoda Superb for more than 4 years and I have always been to Autobahn.... they have given me good service every time. This was including the time when my car was with them for nearly a month for the DSG issue, which they told me was a problem for all the superb's prior to 2013. They gave me a Fabia to use in the mean time.

I suggest you try their Jogeshwari workshop if you are in the suburbs or the Kurla one depending where you stay. You can PM me as I know the service managers of both the locations.

Just last week I had an issue with the ABS/ESP and the TPMS light. This time I gave to a person from my building who has his own garage at Andheri west and he deals with all European cars and he fixed the sensor for just Rs 3000 and that too by picking up the car in the afternoon and dropped it at night. Let me know if I can be of any help.
Old 5th October 2015, 17:48   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph View Post
Overall my experience with SKODA and JMD has been a nightmare. Even with extended warranty the car used to be in the workshop for such a long time. Their Service Advisers are not up-to the mark to put it politely.

Out of the total of 828 days that i have owned the car it was in the workshop for 62 days. That mean that the car is in the workshop for 2 months.
Sad to hear about your experience.
Your Skoda has spent a lot of days in Service station. Looks like you are stuck with a lemon.
If I may ask, what was your purchase price? In the last two years of your ownership, have you considered selling it off?
After 3 or 4 different kind of problems, you could have considered exchanging it for a different car. There is no fun in repeatedly fixing variety of issues on a high end car.
Please do not get offended, but I sincerely hope you get rid of it soon, and move to a peaceful ownership experience of a different car.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:23   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybridpetrol View Post
If I may ask, what was your purchase price? In the last two years of your ownership, have you considered selling it off?
After 3 or 4 different kind of problems, you could have considered exchanging it for a different car. There is no fun in repeatedly fixing variety of issues on a high end car.
Well actually i did consider selling it often but the fact that i would not even get 40% of purchase price meant that i would have to invest quite a bit to get another one. I paid 17L when i purchased it.

But yes lessons learnt. I dont think i will buy a second hand car in this segment. Second hand cars make sense only in the lower segments.
Old 5th October 2015, 19:35   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Sorry but having noises and minor errors is par for the course for a 5 year old car. Personally, I would not have bothered about minor noises in such an old car. As for the ABS warnings, they are commonplace as well. (Just look at Briskoda or any such forum). The problems you faced with the ABS etc in 2013 could have been due to a weakening battery. Attending to every minor fault is a recipe for spending through your nose, which is what has happened here. And the ability of service centres of any brand to diagnose problems is mediocre at best.

Just chill, and give your car for service only when it does not run or Red warnings come on. Telling the dealer that you want an economical solution instead of a perfect one is also a good idea. Best of luck.
Hayek. I'm sorry but I do not agree with the above. I would have done exactly what jinu_joseph did as far as the fixing of various issues go. If one does not attend to a minor fault it soon becomes a major fault - "a stitch in time" and all that!! I am sure most people on this forum would agree with that.

Jinu, absolutely appalled to read what you have been through. I think if I was in your place I would have pushed the car over a cliff by now. Did you not get any sort of warranty from the dealer? Hope you are able to get rid of this lemon as soon as possible.

Regards,
SS
suzuki san is offline   (7) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks