Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2019, 13:02   #181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick TN temple tour

Got back from a 3 days temple tour in Tamil Nadu in and around Chidambaram and managed to clock about 1250+ kms.

BLR - Salem - Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Chidambaram - Vaitheeswaran Kovil
https://goo.gl/maps/WfTG63FdWQeBqcFW7
Distance: 453 kms
Drive time: 6 hrs 14 min

BLR - Salem - Attur: Known route nothing new here. Made decent time but took the wrong exit near Salem and had to backtrack a bit. Lost about half an hour going up and down thanks to no sign boards and a flyover construction.

Attur - Neyveli: beautiful 2L road. Sparse traffic, no speed breakers, drivers paradise. Best part is most of the road is arrow straight which gives you great visibility.

Neyveli - Kullanchavadi - Chidambaram: After the turn off at Kullanchavadi, the narrow 2L to Chidambaram is just chock a block with large and small vehicles and needs a lot of patience to negotiate this stretch.

Chidambaram - Vaitheeswaran Kovil: Decent 2L stretch that is much better Kullanchavadi - Chidambaramin terms of traffic. Plus the bypass for Chidambaram and Sirkazhi helps.

Vaitheeswaran Kovil was the base for the next couple of days and we stayed at Sri Akshardham, which is a little ahead of Hotel Sadabhishekam.
Overall I would rate the stay 3.5/5
- food was pricey but tasty
- rooms were clean and AC was working and not smelly
- Responsive staff

Also covered the following routes over the next few days:

Vaitheeswaran Kovil - Thirukadaiyur
https://goo.gl/maps/fqeKRmxQt1jXYDro6
Distance: 23 kms
Drive time: 20 min

Drove early morning and hence managed decent time on this narrow stretch of road. Road condition is typical 2L with some broken patches, few under construction culverts and speed breakers around villages.

Vaitheeswaran Kovil - Thirunallar
https://goo.gl/maps/ftSTTBVMQC3hRAZE6
Distance: 41 kms
Drive time: 1 Hr 5 min

Took this route to get to a small temple near Settur. Did not drive all the way to Thirunallar due to time constraints.

V Kovil - Mayiladuthurai:is a high traffic patchy stretch with usual speed breakers
Mayiladuthurai - Peralam: again lots of traffic but much better road once you get out of Mayiladuthurai.
Peralam - Settur: decent roads with some stretches getting new tarmac. Need to watch out for a couple of unmarked speed breakers near the TN-Pondicherry border.

Vaitheeswaran Kovil - Gangai Konda Cholapuram
https://goo.gl/maps/3e7TmqetjTy89pHm6
Distance: 46 kms
Drive time: 55 min

After asking around, decided to go via Manalmedu - Pandanallur to GKC. Road condition is excellent and I drove back this route in the dark and was a breeze. Relatively low traffic but do watch out for some sharp speed breakers around villages.

Based on the above visit to GKC, decided to drive back to BLR via Jayamkondan and it was a good decision.

Vaitheeswaran Kovil - GKC - Jayamkondan - Virdudachalam Bypass - Attur - Salem - BLR
https://goo.gl/maps/3a2iytx9N6GdinaAA
Distance: 452 kms
Drive time: 6 hrs 38 min

Jayamkondan - Virdudachalam Bypass: Beautiful 2L with some traffic. Can easily do triple digit speeds.

Overall a very satisfying trip as we got to spend time at the all the temples to our hearts content. Added to that the weather was not its usual scorching self, which was an added bonus.

Few pics of Gangai Konda Cholapuram temple. IMO, the Big temple at Tanjavur is much better, both in terms of architecture and the general aura around the place, than its replica at GKC.

The 20 minute shot. Had to wait that long to get a relatively clean shot.
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-1.jpg

Missing the finesse of Hoysala art
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-2.jpg

Just a pale shadow of the Big temple at Tanjore
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-3.jpg

Car Updates

Dwarf is back to its usual self and there were no hiccups during the trip. Only wish it had a 6 speed transmission so that it could cruise at triple digit speeds at much lower RPMs. F.E for the trip was around 14 kmpl thanks to all the fast sections and triple digit speeds. Need to go to Madhus for WB as a lot of vibrations are being transferred to the cabin.
procrj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:34   #182
BHPian

Re: Quick TN temple tour

Quote:
Originally Posted by procrj View Post
Got back from a 3 days temple tour in Tamil Nadu in and around Chidambaram and managed to clock about 1250+ kms.

Few pics of Gangai Konda Cholapuram temple. IMO, the Big temple at Tanjavur is much better, both in terms of architecture and the general aura around the place, than its replica at GKC...

Missing the finesse of Hoysala art ... Just a pale shadow of the Big temple at Tanjore...
Hope you had a great time in this trip. Next time, do visit the other Chola temples, namely the Airavateswarar temple in Darasuram and the other is the Kampaheswarar temple at Tribhuvanam. The temple at Darasuram is what I would rate to be the finest among Chola temples in terms of scultpure details and also maintenance.

A related thread: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...a-temples.html (A trip to the great living Chola Temples)

Last edited by sathyasuri : 14th August 2019 at 15:51. Reason: Added temple names.
sathyasuri is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th August 2019, 15:47   #183
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember mentally noting that you were headed to the Chidambaram region, after you had posted a route related query about the ECR. Good to see an update and to know your trip went well!

Quote:
Car Updates

Dwarf is back to its usual self and there were no hiccups during the trip. Only wish it had a 6 speed transmission so that it could cruise at triple digit speeds at much lower RPMs.
Yeah, you totally read my mind there. I find myself wishing for a 6th gear during & after every trip myself. And these days, I also find myself searching on Carwale's used car listings after every roadtrip ends, for pre-owned Safaris or Hexas. But I usually close the browser knowing that only the TUV 300 would fit into my parking area (i.e., considering only SUVs and ignoring hatchbacks & sedans).
locusjag is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 08:43   #184
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sathyasuri View Post
Airavateswarar temple in Darasuram and the other is the Kampaheswarar temple at Tribhuvanam.
Both were on my list but didnt have sufficient time to cover the same as we spent a lot of time in VKovil and Chidambaram because my gradmom wanted to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by locusjag View Post
pre-owned Safaris or Hexas
You have invested in a good vehicle that serves your purpose. Would recommend you (ab)use it to the fullest before you start hunting again
procrj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th August 2019, 10:19   #185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
You have invested in a good vehicle that serves your purpose. Would recommend you (ab)use it to the fullest before you start hunting again
I know - it is financial hara-kiri to keep switching newly bought cars. But my mind is so fickle; all it took was 10% of its overall use on the highway to make me feel like I want some other car. It is a good one, no doubt - so solid & reliable...

Meanwhile I brought my wife's used A Star AT to office today just to remind myself what I really yearn for; a free-revving engine which breathes easily. Even the 3 pot A Star's petrol engine makes it so gratifying to drive for a change. So the financially feasible solution for me may lie in picking up a dirt cheap, used free-revving petrol sedan for 4/6 laned highway use, such as a petrol Manza. My mission to teach my wife to drive a car in real world conditions has been achieved with the Automatic A Star. I just have to figure out whether to get a used automatic transmission sedan next or if I should teach her to drive manual transmission cars so that we can get a used Manza...

For intra-city office commutes, the Tank is a God-send since I get to use really broken by-lanes to avoid traffic. If I were planning to go to Ooty or some other rough-and-tough place which calls for the Tank, I will take it willingly. And yes - I'm going to do yet another airport pickup run for the family tonight in the TUV where 8 adults and rooftop luggage will be ferried over 3 Km. It is a tough utility vehicle no doubt...

I'm on the fence over all of this. I know I sound self-contradictory, but here it is, warts and all
Old 16th October 2019, 18:59   #186
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold

Day before yesterday was a great monday morning. Skies were blue, birds were chirping, I was looking forward to get to work. I climb in, turn the key and after a couple of flickers, everything dies

The battery and battery sensor went kaput. Just last week I was thinking of replacing the battery soon and this happened. Ordered an Amaron 95D26R from bookyourbattery and the car is up and running. Costed me 4.7K(with exchange of old battery), which was the best offer that I got online. Drove to MASS and replaced the battery sensor today, which was covered under warranty. That tiny sensor costs Rs 3,165. Maintaining the dwarf post warranty might be an expensive proposition.

Nothing much to update as its only been office and small city runs over the last 45 days. Odo stands at 68K kms and plan to get 70K service done next week as I have a drive planned for the end of the month.

Ordered STP Engine Flush and LiquiMoly Engine Oil treatment during the sale last week. Planning to use both of the above next week during the 70K service.

Also tried the STP Diesel Fuel Treatment just before the monsoon drive and I must say i was pleasantly surprised. The car felt a tad bit sprightly and even now it feels good to drive. Plan to use the same every 8k kms going forward.

Signing off with a pic of the tank taken during navratri.
Attached Thumbnails
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-t1.jpg  

Old 29th October 2019, 19:50   #187
Distinguished - BHPian

70K Service Update

Odo stands at 68.5K but decided to get the 70K service as I have a few trips planned over the next few weeks. As usual IG took about 3 hours to wrap up 70K service, which was basically
- Engine oil & oil filter change
- Transmission oil change
- Air filter & Cabin filter cleaning
- Suspension check
- Brake pads check and caliper greasing

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-70-srvc.jpg

I had purchased the Liqui Molly Engine Oil treatment a few weeks ago and added that as well. Now need to see what effect/impact it has on the engine and performance.

Otherwise it's just been normal office and back over the last 2 months and I am itching to get onto the road on 1st Nov. Nothing else to update and the dwarf is just chugging along.
procrj is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 09:24   #188
Distinguished - BHPian

Got back from a quick trip to goa. The plan was very simple - get to Palolem and chill. No driving around, absolutely no exploring. We almost did manage to do that except during our onward journey to Palolem.

A complicated set of arrangements through multiple friends ensured that we managed to get permissions to visit some of the restricted areas in and around Sharavathi valley/jog falls. We did spend a lot of time wandering around the valley trying to figure out routes and best roads that can get us to the various spots of interest. Given the paucity of time, we were only able to visit:
  • Vadanbail Padmavathy temple - simple but delicious lunch served as prasad ensured that we don’t go hungry for a long time.
  • Talakalele Balancing reservoir - drove over the dam and enjoyed the cool breeze.
  • Linganamakki power house and dam - the dam is about 4kms long with the main gate sections located right in the middle - 11 gates of which none were open when we visited. We were able to drive over the sluice gates to the main gates but were not allowed to drive over the main gate section. We did spend time walking over the main gates admiring the surroundings.

All of the above ensured that we had a long night drive ahead of us as we started from Jog falls at 6.45 pm. The drive to Honnavara was pure bliss at night with minimal traffic and great roads. Honnavar - Karwar was the exact opposite and extremely bad experience with unmarked deviations, lots of bad sections et al. We managed to deal with all of that and reached our destination by Midnight.

Explored Palolem beach, The old bridge on Talpona river and Talpona beach over the next few days. Drove back yesterday via Yellapura - Kalaghatgi - Shiggaon - Davangere.

Route and road condition update posted here

Few pics from the trip

On the way to hosadurga - just after VVS dam backwaters
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d1.jpg

Around Hosadurga
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d2.jpg

On the way to Talguppa
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d3.jpg

Just before Shiggaon
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-d4.jpg

Linganamakki reservoir
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-c2.jpg

Talakelele Balancing reservoir
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-c3.jpg

Talpona river from old talpona bridge
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-c4.jpg

Sunrise at Palolem beach
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-b1.jpg

Sunset at Talpona beach
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-b2.jpg
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-b3.jpg

We stayed at Sobit Sarovar Portico in Palolem and I must say that booking this place was a very good decision. Since we were 4 families, we managed to negotiate the stay and food quite a bit and hence it worked out very well for us. Opened in Aug this year, this place is very close to the beach but also allows you the luxury of a pool, AC and WiFi when needed. Rooms are decently sized and quiet comfortable as well. Definitely recommend the same for family/group stay.

Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-h1.jpg
Red Dwarf – My 2016 Mahindra TUV300 T8 Manual. EDIT: Now sold-h2.jpg

Total distance covered was around 1300 kms and hence the Odo is almost 70K kms. F.E during the trip was 15.8 kmpl as I ensured that I dont cross the 2.5k rpm mark on open empty stretches.

Even after all this driving, I only want to spend more and more time behind the wheel. This is like almost perfect vehicle for our conditions as it can take just about anything that is thrown at it with aplomb. Case is point is the drive up Artibail ghat where there were only deep ruts instead of a road plus heavy traffic moving up and down. RWD + loads of torque and High GC ensured that I never had to struggle and could easily overtake and quickly make my way up the section. Happy with the way the dwarf is driving right now and pray that it continues to be the same for a long long time.

Adios till the next update.

Last edited by procrj : 5th November 2019 at 10:18.
procrj is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 10:32   #189
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Missed this post of yours. Kumbakonam belt is one with temples in abundance. You need at least 4-5 visits to see all the major ones. And then you will be left with some more ! The Chola architecture is grandiose! Even the ones on the "sidelines" (if you can call them that) are HUGE!

I have been visiting that belt for some time now and each time is a revelation. And not to mention the road and the food!
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th November 2019, 18:21   #190
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Kumbakonam belt is one with temples in abundance. You need at least 4-5 visits to see all the major ones.
Definitely needs a lot of time and patience as well. I have a whole laundry list based on history as well as mythological significance as well. Need to plan a trip to visit some of them soon.
Old 11th November 2019, 19:46   #191
Distinguished - BHPian

@ procrj as well as others :

Need some help folks! My friend`s T10 is having an issue with water leak on the driver & passenger carpet even when its not raining, the issue is definitely AC water leaking into the carpet as this does not happen when the car is driven without AC. Any thoughts on this?

The dashboard was taken out to fix this once, but looks like the issue is back again after a few weeks. anyone else having experienced this - please let me know. Thanks in advance.
Old 11th November 2019, 20:18   #192
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Need some help folks! My friend`s T10 is having an issue with water leak on the driver & passenger carpet even when its not raining, the issue is definitely AC water leaking into the carpet as this does not happen when the car is driven without AC. Any thoughts on this?.
Hope it is not coolant that it is leaking into the cabin from the heater core located behind the dashboard?!

Is the coolant level normal?
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th November 2019, 21:45   #193
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
water leak on the driver & passenger carpet even when its not raining
The rear washer pipe passes through the center of cabin and many owners have had issues with it. Ask him to check if that pipe has a leak. Some folks have had issues with the door beading because of which water seeps in from outside. The other issue is with the windshield sealant - cracks over time and owners have had leaky cabins during rains. As you clearly mention its not during rains, there is high possibility that this is rear windshield washer pipe leakage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a4anurag View Post
Is the coolant level normal?
Should check for this as well but none of the owners have reported this issue in the past.
Old 12th November 2019, 14:51   #194
Distinguished - BHPian

@Anurag & Procrj, I`ll check this and update you. Many thanks. Have not thought of either of these points. The issue did not repeat when the AC was off, earlier both passenger and diver side mats used to get wet, after they tore out the dashboard and fixed the problem(or not) first time -now its only the driver side getting wet and its not a few drops, its soaking wet.

Anyone from M&M reading this , please let us know if the issue is new to you guys as well. The vehicle is 1 year new TUV3OO T10.
Old 1st December 2019, 14:06   #195
Distinguished - BHPian

We have an update on the T10's water leak. The place where steering shaft enters the cabin was missing a rubber body seal/ grommet sort of thing and that caused the water to fall inside the cabin is their latest find.

For now no more water leak. Tank is running fine otherwise.
Kosfactor is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks