Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2016, 09:14   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Remapped Hyundai Grand i10 1.1L CRDI : 79k km done

Quote:
Originally Posted by crdi View Post
Congrats. How is the exhaust with the box on? Was your remap reverted? If so, who did it and how long did you drive with the remap?
There is little black smoke under hard acceleration in P2 mode. Remap was not doing any good power gain. I asked the tuner to flash back stock map. I drove around 50 kms with remap only on that day for testing. Thankfully, nothing happened to my car. A good remap was definitely possible if the tuner did not mess up the turbo type and tried increasing boost in remap(which is not possible in this case just like swift diesel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VRPAI View Post
Congrats on the box, Doc. Just had a couple of queries
1.Does this have an impact on the warranty claims?
2.Does it wear out the components much faster than a stock car.
I am asking these queries since you have already had a remapped SX4 and hence you would have a better idea if the same. We have just bought our first diesel car and hence have no idea on what all effects the remap or a tuning box would have.

Thanks in advance
1.No manufactures will give warranty for an engine running with tuning box. It is easy to remove the box and give it for service. Also, it depends on your dealer. Few dealers do sell RD box as a product.

2.Remap/Tuning box might exaggerate an underlying problem and make it appear earlier. Even a stock engine if abused badly, components will fail before the life time. Manufacturer's always give lesser power figures than what the engine is really capable of, considering warranty claims, irregular service intervals, emission norms etc. A remap/tuning box helps in exploiting this reserve power.

P.S. I like to drive my cars without any mods till warranty expires. If there is any problem with components, it would have come up by then. Also, I would be wanting something different after driving 2 or 3 years. So I tend to go for performance upgrades after expiry of my warranty.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2016 at 09:18.
Old 5th March 2016, 10:50   #17
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Congrats on the Grand i10.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Manufacturer's always give lesser power figures than what the engine is really capable of, considering warranty claims, irregular service intervals, emission norms etc. A remap/tuning box helps in exploiting
this reserve power.
And most importantly, fuel economy. 99% of this country cares about FE, not acceleration.

The Zest & KUV100 have switchable engine maps from the factory. You really have to drive them in power & eco modes to realise the difference that an engine map can make to performance.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 10:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Congrats on the Grand i10.

And most importantly, fuel economy. 99% of this country cares about FE, not acceleration.

The Zest & KUV100 have switchable engine maps from the factory. You really have to drive them in power & eco modes to realise the difference that an engine map can make to performance.
Yes, I agree. I drove KUV 1OO few days back. Power delivery becomes a lot lesser with reduced turbo spike in economy mode with a claimed mileage of 25kmpl plus.

After remap/tuning box, fuel economy is dependent on your driving pattern. Many people have reported increase in fuel economy post remap. But if you keep exploiting that extra power and floor the pedal frequently, there is a significant drop. Fuel economy in SX4 dropped to 13.5 kmpl post remap during a spirited drive on Mangalore-Bangalore highway. If I drive as usual, I get the numbers same as stock.

Cheers!!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2016 at 11:01.
Dr.Naren is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 12:25   #19
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
But if you keep exploiting that extra power and floor the pedal frequently, there is a significant drop.
So true! After listening to the awesome free-flow exhaust in my Honda, someone once inquired about the FE. I told him "the actual drop from the free-flow exhaust should be 0 kpl. However, the sound addiction alone is enough for a 2 kpl drop ". I'd keep on revving the engine even in the city just to listen to that deep, addictive sound.

Wouldn't you with this exhaust note? The best petrol engine I ever owned. I don't miss my Civic as much as I miss the City Vtec:
GTO is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 13:03   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true! After listening to the awesome free-flow exhaust in my Honda, someone once inquired about the FE. I told him "the actual drop from the free-flow exhaust should be 0 kpl. However, the sound addiction alone is enough for a 2 kpl drop ". I'd keep on revving the engine even in the city just to listen to that deep, addictive sound.

Wouldn't you with this exhaust note? The best petrol engine I ever owned. I don't miss my Civic as much as I miss the City Vtec:
https://www.Youtube.com/watch?v=HdsCul-rtmE
WOW!!
I played the video twice I would never care FE drop for this sound. Sweet!

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2016 at 13:05.
Old 5th March 2016, 15:59   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also I do not see much improvement in top end, so 1.3 multijets can still be ahead
You won't really see a difference in top speed. But Acceleration will be better.
landcruiser123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th March 2016, 16:05   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by landcruiser123 View Post
You won't really see a difference in top speed. But Acceleration will be better.
Yes, remap/tuning box won't increase top speed. But in my remapped SX4, car pulls even in top end while box has good mid range. Boost pressure was mainly increased in remap and car pulls very well from 2.5k rpm. Also multijet engines are revv friendly. 1.1 U2 CRDI in grand is 3 cylinder and slow revving with a top speed around 25-30 kmph less than 1.3 multijet

Last edited by Dr.Naren : 5th March 2016 at 16:34.
Old 6th March 2016, 12:56   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Torque Pro OBD App Update
RD box is fuel rail pressure modulation box.I plugged in my OBD reader and read fuel rail pressure values in various modes at idle. This test could have been better, if done at varying speeds. I did not expect values to change at idle. Tuning box fools the ecu by providing wrong voltage values. So in E mode, higher rail pressure values are provided to ecu by tuning box and ECU cuts down the fuel supply lowering the power. While in power modes, Tuning box fools the ecu by providing lower rail pressure values and ecu increases the fuel supply.

Note only the highest and lowest values in various modes

E Mode
Remapped Hyundai Grand i10 1.1L CRDI : 8 years / 1 lakh km done-screenshot_20160306123306_org.prowl.torque.png

Stock
Remapped Hyundai Grand i10 1.1L CRDI : 8 years / 1 lakh km done-screenshot_20160306123147_org.prowl.torque.png

P1 Mode
Remapped Hyundai Grand i10 1.1L CRDI : 8 years / 1 lakh km done-screenshot_20160306123219_org.prowl.torque.png

P2 Mode
Remapped Hyundai Grand i10 1.1L CRDI : 8 years / 1 lakh km done-screenshot_20160306123236_org.prowl.torque.png

Last edited by Aditya : 10th March 2016 at 07:01. Reason: As requested
Dr.Naren is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 12:46   #24
BHPian

Congratulations on the tuning box! Have not come across too many hyundai i10 grands with a re-map or a tuning box - so your's is a definite help for those who are interested.
anandpkumar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 12:54   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpkumar View Post
Congratulations on the tuning box! Have not come across too many hyundai i10 grands with a re-map or a tuning box - so your's is a definite help for those who are interested.
Thanks!!
Yes, Grand i10 is a hardly modded car. I have not found even a single remap or tuning box experience online for grand i10. TOT & Wolf moto honestly said they have not done it before.
Old 7th March 2016, 20:05   #26

Congratulation Dr.Naren. A very well written and crisp review.

It is a point to note that most of Hyundai Mangalore's SA get good appreciation in this forum.
shri is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2016, 21:01   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shri View Post
Congratulation Dr.Naren. A very well written and crisp review.

It is a point to note that most of Hyundai Mangalore's SA get good appreciation in this forum.
Thanks!!
Yes,I am really happy with Hyundai service (kanchana) at Mangalore.A strong service back up is one of my main criteria for car purchase.
Old 8th March 2016, 09:48   #28
Senior - BHPian

Dr Naren,

Its good to see another bhpian from Mangalore. Nicely written review.

I get our cars(Grand i10 / i10) serviced from Advaith, Kuntikana. Never had any complaints against them.

I had to deal with Kanchana's service center in Padil just once and the experience wasn't pleasant. The impression worsened further when I went to their showroom when I was close to finalising the i10.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3678671
skanchan95 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th March 2016, 09:56   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by skanchan95 View Post
Dr Naren,

Its good to see another bhpian from Mangalore. Nicely written review.

I get our cars(Grand i10 / i10) serviced from Advaith, Kuntikana. Never had any complaints against them.

I had to deal with Kanchana's service center in Padil just once and the experience wasn't pleasant. The impression worsened further when I went to their showroom when I was close to finalising the i10.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3678671
Thanks buddy!! I reside in kasaragod though. I had visited both the dealers in mangalore before purchase. Kanchana was able to deliver the car early. My service experience was good till now. Since my warranty is over, I will ask for oil and filters change and only required job from next service.
Old 10th March 2016, 23:21   #30

It was a good write up Dr. Naren. I have a noob query in mind, please tolerate. I was wondering, what lead to the oil leak in the turbocharger? Was that due to some manufacturing defect or something else?

This is my first post in Team BHP, so please be kind.
kirangopinath is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks