Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2006, 13:21   #1
BHPian

Hi Folks!!!!

My Octavia rider is now 6 Months old... Got the first service done on 23rd September.

About my car:
It is a 1.9TDI skoda octavia rider, Sahara Beige colour.

Fuel Used:
Extramile, turbojet (something which needs to be avoided as per Skoda guys)

Kms Covered:
It has done 5743 Kms to be precise

Economy:
Somewhere between 14 to 15 KMPL within city limits and between 18 to 19 KMPL at highways.

Experience:
We had got the delivery of the car on 27th March this year. Owning a skoda was like a dream come true for me. We had got the interiors of the car totally reworked. It was reworked to beige leather interiors. Handling of the vehicle is exceptionally good. Only thing which is worrying me is regarding the headlights. Especially during the rainy season, visbility is very very bad. Need your inputs on upgrading to the higher end bulbs. Longest distance the vehicle has travelled is on a trip to Mumbai Shirdi Mumbai (Planning for a drive to Mumbai-Mangalore-Bangalore-Mumbai this saturday. Will keep you all posted). We could comfortably cover this trip in 12Hrs time.

Maintainance:
I had alraedy heard a lot about Skoda's extraordinary spare rates and am extremely careful about the vehicle. Got the first free service done on 23rd this month. It costed me Rs. 3750/- and I casually enquired about the paid services and the estimate for that was Rs. 8500/-

Word of Caution:
Something strange I observed at the workshop was that it had a big banner put up saying "Please do not use Turbodiesel, Xtramile or speed in any of your skoda vehicles". I was baffled to read that since I was always running my vehicles on these premium fuels only. On inquiring they confirmed that Fuel management system in Skoda gives problems when run on these premium fuels. He advised me to run the car strictly on normal diesel (need your observations on this).

One more thing which he cautioned me was rearding the sensitivity of the clutch. He told me that skoda is equipped with zero play clutches and it is too sensitive to any misuse/ abuse by the driver. And the cost involved to restore this is Rs. 50,000/-.

Overall experience:
Till now we are completely satisfied with the performance of the vehicle as well as the skoda service. But the spare prices are really scary. But I strongly believe it is a tough car and made to last long if handled with care.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:27   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Got the first free service done on 23rd this month. It costed me Rs. 3750/-
Why did they charge you for free service? Free means free...

I got my first service of Honda Civic absolutely free (incl wheel alignment, etc)..

They are right about the Skoda Clutch, it is extremely unforgiving and if not used properly can be a huge expense!

Quote:
Word of Caution
Even I have same issue, at Honda they recommend using regular fuel, instead of premium ones, but they are not that particular about it...
Old 26th September 2006, 16:34   #3
BHPian

But when its free service it means free washing, tune ups and labour. For any other consumables you need to shell out... This is atleast what I presumed. Because the bill raised here was for oil change (Rs. 2700/-), Air filter and then some taxes.
Old 26th September 2006, 16:34   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ST7677
Why did they charge you for free service? Free means free...
I thought the "free" referred to the labour charges, if there are consumables (oil, oil filter etc) they would be charged? Not sure about Skoda services in terms of what consumables could be used in the 1st service though........
Old 29th September 2006, 17:07   #5
BHPian

For that matter whenever I had got my two wheelers serviced (free service) they had always charged for the consumables. I wonder how Honda did it for free...

Cheers
Old 4th October 2006, 00:20   #6
BANNED

honda charges for oil change everytime i have paid them no way honda is free

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks