Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th October 2006, 13:19   #1
BHPian

Hyundai Accent GLE - 50,000 kms report

Hey BHPians,

I've completed my 50,000 kms as well as the 5th service (3rd paid service) yesterday (October 3, 2006). 50,000 kms is quite a long distance but my car completed this distance in 15 months time. And remind you GLE is a petrol car . But still if we calculate the running costs compared to the Accent CRDi it is in fact lower on my car. The car has been used for personal as well as personal official purposes (Myself and my father). The fuel and maintenace costs has been borne by the companies.

I purchased my car on June 1, 2005 from Popular Hyundai, Cochin on the very first day when monsoon rains hit kerala. There was the usual opening ceremony with a photo session and lemons crushing under wheels when the car was rolled out first time. A fancy registration number was purchased and pasted on the car within 10 days of delivery.

The color of the car is Noble White and I made some touches to it. I made the door handles, rear view mirrors and waist line mouldings body colored. Well to me the car looked funky with these add ons. I got a Pioneer CD system (Without MP3), 4 pioneer round speakers (each 120W), Pricol Xenox anti theft system, Rubber Carpets, Mud Flaps free with the car. I was very much impressed with the interiors of the car after checking out Ford Ikon, Opel Corsa, Maruti Esteem and Baleno. I did consider the Baleno but the price of Baleno at that time (6.25 lakhs ex showroom I guess) made me pull away from that car. Changed the Car Head Unit to Sony Xplod (got as a Gift) and speakers to JBL (Oval 330 W speakers at the rear and 90W speakers at front).

The car was quite smooth in driving and it has an excellent air conditioning system (working perfectly still). I am 6 feet tall and I found the front seats comfortable. Not quite can be said in the rear for a person with similar height like me. The rear has less legroom although headroom and shoulder room is very good. But my parents are quite comfortable sitting in the rear. So that issue was sorted out.

The first three services was over in a span of 6 months. The car is driven 40% on highways and 60% on bad roads and cities. I got the complement from the Service Manager of Popular Hyundai (Cochin) yesterday that my car will never feel it has indeed covered 50,000 kms. He said he will give me an award of "Best Mainatined Car" if they introduce one like that. Yeah, I've been maintaining my car very well. Regular service, checking tyre pressures regularly (almost everytime I went for filling the fuel) and taking to the service station whenever I hear a foreign sound from the car. To say about service if there is a word beyond "excellent" should be given that. The system is very transparent there that we could see what work they're doing to our car and will even clarify our technical queries.

There has been no serious issues with the vehicle. The first issue (cant be considered major) at a little over 48,000 kms. There was a sound as if something was breaking when brakes were applied. Happened mostly when brakes were applied at low speeds. The problem was loose calliper pin and the problem was clarified in 2 hours time (after a thorough check and 4 test drives thrice by service people and once by me).

Some positives and negatives about the car according to my views:

Positives:

1. Good driving position with all round visibility. Day and night inside rear view mirror an added and safe advantage. Good Ride comfort.

2. Variable speed wipers. Not present in most cars at the price range.

3. Excellent air conditioning. Chills very quickly.

4. Decent performance and mileage. I wont call both extraordinary but its very healthy.

5. Smooth engine though underpowered especially in the low range if compared to a Baleno and Ikon 1.6. Mid range is quite good and is comparable with other giants. Attained a top speed of 140 km/h. It's too high on Kerala roads, did this at around midnight time.

6. Braking quite good for the segment.

7. Good interior utilities.

Negatives:

1. Handling and Steering not very exciting at speeds above 110 - 120 km/h.
2. Rear seat legroom not comfortable for persons like me with heights of 6 feet.

3. The body build quality may not be strong enough compared to Ford and Opel cars.

4. Engine needs constant down gear shifts at heavy traffics. The speeds recommended by hyundai are:
1st - 2nd : 0-20 km/h
2nd - 3rd: 20-35 km/h
3rd - 4th: 35-50 km/h
4th - 5th: 50-60 km/h

Same applies to downshift with figures reversed although when downshifting from 5th - 4th the engine can hold till 40 km/h.

5. Cabin noise has increased a bit though not irritating enough after 35,000 kms. It was rectified by setting the door and beadings and was OK but isnt quite as good as when the car was new. Considering as an older generation car seems have to live with it.

Some figures and statistics

Purchase Price (On Road): Rs. 558,000

Amount spend on Car Service and Spare Parts:

1st Free Service (1500 kms) : Rs. 23
2nd Free Service (10,000 kms): Rs. 23
3rd Free Service (20,000 kms): Rs. 23

Unschduled service done at 25,000 kms before going for a long drive: Rs. 2867 (included wheel allignment, balancing and rotation, Changed brake pads for Rs. 1667)

4th Service and 1st Paid Service (30,000 kms): Rs. 3200
Work done and Spare parts changed during this service: Engine Oil and Filter, Fuel Filter, Air Filter, Gear Oil, Coolant, Spark Plugs plus wheel allignment, balancing and rotation.

5th service and 2nd Paid Service (40,000 kms): Rs. 1500
Work done during this service: Replaced Engine Oil and Filter, Wheel allignment, balancing and rotation.

Brake pads were bought outside the dealership at 45,000kms for Rs. 490 on a strictly personal permission from hyundai. Brake pads were replaced by the dealership free of cost.

6th service and 3rd Paid Service (50,000 kms): Rs. 2380
Work done: Replaced Engine Oil and Filter, Brake pads and Wiper Blades, Brake Disc Facing, Replaced faulty cabin bulb, Wheel Allignment.

The car came with Bridgestone Radials and two tyres lasted 50,000 kms. Two of them still going good. One is totally finished. Replaced the two with Michelin Energy XMI tubeless radials at a cost of Rs. 5640 (including valves and balancing of tyres).

Total Spent for Car Service and spare parts including two tires: Rs. 16,146.

Amount spent on optional items like New speakers, Underbody Coating, New Carpets, Sun Films Engine Flushing with Additive Solutions, Perfumes etc etc: Approx. Rs. 23,000

Total spent on car excluding fuel: Approx. Rs. 39,146

To sum up I'm very much satisfied with the car and experiences with it and proud to own a quality hyundai product.

Cheers...................
Old 4th October 2006, 14:15   #2
BHPian

Forgot to add mileage figures:

Average obtained when checked last time: 12.68 km/l
Average obtained mostly: 12.6 - 13.8 km/l
Best mileage ever recorded: 17.07 km/l
Worst mileage ever recorded: 10.45 km/l

Thanks.....
Old 4th October 2006, 14:26   #3
Team-BHP Support

Was engine oil free for the first 3 services??
You mention changing brake pads at 45000kms and then again at 50,000 is it in error ot did your "outside purchased" pads really go kaput after 50,000kms
Old 4th October 2006, 14:56   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979
Was engine oil free for the first 3 services??
You mention changing brake pads at 45000kms and then again at 50,000 is it in error ot did your "outside purchased" pads really go kaput after 50,000kms
Yes, the engine oil was free for the first three services. Yes i changed the brake pads at 45,000 kms not at 50,000 kms. Thats an error from my side. The pads are still going strong. Let me see how long it will last.
Old 5th October 2006, 11:18   #5
Senior - BHPian

Good comprehensive review. Your machine had a good running in short span of time without troubling you.

Last edited by Surprise : 5th October 2006 at 11:27.
Old 5th October 2006, 11:47   #6
BHPian

Build Quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by adarsh76
3. The body build quality may not be strong enough compared to Ford and Opel cars.
Opel, I can understand, but, is the build quality of ford (say Ikon) really better than Accent?
Old 5th October 2006, 12:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Su-47
Opel, I can understand, but, is the build quality of ford (say Ikon) really better than Accent?
Well, Im not quite sure. It is generally said those cars have better build quality. Thats why I used the phrase "may not be". And there has been no rusting on any part of the car's body till now.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:42   #8
Senior - BHPian

Good writeup. One car lover you are.

I didnt even spend anything for 1st and 2nd service for my Xing. For third, i had to pay 750rs for decarbonising.
Old 5th October 2006, 15:59   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
Good writeup. One car lover you are.

I didnt even spend anything for 1st and 2nd service for my Xing. For third, i had to pay 750rs for decarbonising.
Thanks....but why did you decarbonise your vehicle at the third service? Was it really needed? I havent done that so far.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:14   #10
Team-BHP Support

decarbonizing is usually done after 50,000kms(I got it for my indica at that point). But I have seen service advisors recommending decarb after 10,000kms because the total cost to delership is few rupees and they can charge 600-1000rs for the job.
Old 5th October 2006, 16:58   #11
Senior - BHPian

Adarsh if you havent done an engine flush so far, I'd recommend that you do it before you start getting tappety sounds.
Old 5th October 2006, 17:29   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Adarsh if you havent done an engine flush so far, I'd recommend that you do it before you start getting tappety sounds.
Thanks for the advice Steeroid. I've done engine flushing twice, once at 10,000 kms and the next at 30,000 kms. It's optional and hyundai hasn't recommended in their owner's manual. But the rate for that is high. It costs 750 bucks. I'm planning to do it at the next service (60,000 kms).
Old 13th October 2006, 05:24   #13
BANNED

I've always heard of horrible tales (in addition to my personal experience) about Popular's service quality. Popular's service was always known to be shabby whether it is Popular Maruti/Bajaj/Hyundai.

What was your experience ?
Old 13th October 2006, 10:19   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun
I've always heard of horrible tales (in addition to my personal experience) about Popular's service quality. Popular's service was always known to be shabby whether it is Popular Maruti/Bajaj/Hyundai.

What was your experience ?
Mithun, I have to say that my personal experience was excellent with Popular Hyundai. In fact I've mentioned my experiences in my message. The service chief of Popular Hyundai and myself has become good friends over this period of time. May be everyone doesn't have the same experience but for me its great till now.
Old 2nd February 2014, 19:14   #15
BHPian

Re: Hyundai Accent GLE - 108,000 kms report

Just to give an overview of my Accent GLE which has completed 108,000 kms. Well, I'd to do a major service at 105,000 kms which had costed me around 20,000 bucks. The main areas of repair were Air Conditioning, Steering(Hard to steer), Brake pads, Brake Liners and Clutch.

But after spending this much, seriously the car looked as close as new. I upsized my tyres to 185 as well. The road noise is 85% reduced and on smooth roads, there is hardly any noise.

Satisfied with my car, but now thinking of a change. Looking at the New Honda City.
adarsh76 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks