Team-BHP - Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/18313-tata-safari-dicor-3-0l-vx-4x4-lehd-105k-kms-up-auf-wiedersehen-30.html)

@suman:

Thanks, for that expensive part of Safari. So, it's almost an attempt of iodicy; purchasing a used DICOR, untill-unless one is really lucky not to have any problems.

BTW, which heated or non-heated ORVM's were you and some other Bhpians talking about in the last few posts. Please explain(?) I could'nt understand a single word?

Tata safari ORVMs are heated. When you press the defrogger button, the mirror heats up, dissipating any fog or condensation. A great thing to have in winters.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2030981)
Tata safari ORVMs are heated. When you press the defrogger button, the mirror heats up, dissipating any fog or condensation. A great thing to have in winters.

Are these available locally for Safari? If yes, then price? and quality. Thanks for the above information.:)

Yes, total cost including painting and taxes will come to approx 4500.

The Beast crossed 90k kms last week & was sent for servicing on Friday. Will be 4 years old next month.....or should that be 4 years young? You decide -
Tata Safari Dicor 3.0L VX 4x4 - Leh'd, 105k kms up & Auf Wiedersehen!-14092010146.jpg

Thats one real well maintained safari!
Since 4 years get over next month, I suggest you use the 4x4 system a little bit, just to see if any problems are there. After 4 years, even extended warranty gets over!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 2068606)
Since 4 years get over next month, I suggest you use the 4x4 system a little bit, just to see if any problems are there. After 4 years, even extended warranty gets over!

Thanks Tanveer, yup, the "intense scrutiny" process has started :D

Will be updating later but a couple of items have already been looked at & Autolinks will go over the Beast with a fine toothcomb at the beginning of next month to see what else can be replaced ;)

Calling it a fine looking beast will be an understatement! You have kept the vehicle very well maintained, Suman!

Congrats on the KM's and years and wish you many more them both in the years to come.

And yes, fine tooth-comb is what is need to check now. :)

Hopefully no surprises.

Quote:

Originally Posted by suman (Post 2068588)
...should that be 4 years young?

clap: Good going, suman! 22.5k km average per year, considering your travelling gets split between 2 cars, is a lot of driving. But then, maintenance matters, and you've made a perfect point there.

I've always been in awe about the way you maintain your vehicles, and this one is no different, Suman. Great job, there!

Any plans on replacing on the cards?

Suman-da, shouldn't the left windscreen wiper sit a bit lower than where it is in picture? Lovely looking ride after all those kilometres, though!

Thanks guys, I do try & keep my vehicles as scratch free as possible - the fact that its silver has helped too!
Quote:

Originally Posted by benbsb29 (Post 2068836)
Any plans on replacing on the cards?

Benny, ideally speaking, I'd like to replace around April-May of next year but it all depends on finances & options. We do need a replacement for the Fiesta before this (that one completes 5 years in Jan)
Quote:

Originally Posted by architect (Post 2068837)
Suman-da, shouldn't the left windscreen wiper sit a bit lower than where it is in picture?

You're probably right but it doesn't get in the way so I haven't bothered getting it adjusted.
Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 2068679)
Hopefully no surprises.

Yeah, I don't think there'll be any surprises but I'm going to have anything that looks or feels like wearing out in the next 12 months changed. On top of my list are the front power window regulators - those are bloody expensive & both the rear ones have been changed under EW :D

And, as mentioned by Tanveer, I plan to knock around the 4x4 a bit in the next couple of weeks. The Gurgaon Civil Adminstration are promising me fulll support in my quest - the bulk of the main thoroughfares are already resembling the worst stretches of the Manali-Leh highway & I'm sure they'll only get worse over the next fortnight ;)
Quote:

Originally Posted by SS-Traveller (Post 2068710)
22.5k km average per year, considering your travelling gets split between 2 cars, is a lot of driving. But then, maintenance matters, and you've made a perfect point there.

Well said Doc, my commute is nowhere near what you cover though but its still in the region of around 115-120 kms a day, thanks to the early morning School-drop.

Oh, that's immaculately maintained Safari, nothing less than brand new showroom condition. How did you manage this in crowded Delhi traffic? Not a single scratch is visible that too on bumper.

If you have something to share on maintaining car like you, please start a thread and share your knowledge. clap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anujmishra (Post 2068974)
Not a single scratch is visible that too on bumper.

Thanks Anuj but there are a few scratches here & there which are not visible from this angle :D

There's one on the left front corner which happened after an expressway encounter. But, yeah, overall its in good shape (touch wood!). Once in a while, I coax my lazy driver into applying Formula One Scratch Out & Shampoo to get rid of the grime.

If you do intend to know around the 4x4, make sure you take her to a very silent place. I would recommend the end of golf course road. Jeepers start their stuff there, ask harjeev for road map. Initial section is easy. you can maybe even go with NIOC fellows till the start of tough trail(after that thorns are an issue).

The things to check are hubs.
Basically find a mud pile, and gently start trying to climb it. Make sure mud pile is hard so you get slip not dig in.
Then in 1st gear 4th low, gently let her spin wheels slowly.

One of the front left wheels which has traction will start rotating, other will be stationaly. Make sure that the rotating wheel is rotating continously, and not jerking along. If it is the 4x4 hub locking pin is bent or something.
Repeat this with other wheel. Finding a spot to align your safari will be tough, luckily me and William(The autolinks guy) found the problematic hub on first go.

Also get the clutch master slave cylinder checked. The plates are wear and tear parts, and you will not get EW on them, but master slave cylinder is clearly mentioned in E- warranty booklet.

Also get the steering system checked, my uncles safari had an issue which was accidentally caught while doing check for some other thing. The mechanic told us that older 3.0 models had some kind of issue and they had replaced the steering box and power steering pump on lot of vehicles within EW.

Rest of the parts like suspension etc., are not covered anyways. Just out of curiosity, what suspension components have you replaced till now, and what did they cost? I am told 100,000 is the upper limit of damper life if you do rough roads regularly.