Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th November 2006, 11:02   #1
BHPian

I got my Scorpio SLX on May 10th an engine silver beauty, and clocked 10,000 Kilometers, completed two free services so far. Till now, I had faced one major and some minor problems.
Style and Looks:
Positives:
The looks of the car is very good, and the vehicle height is also good as it comes with 16” wheels. The rear light combination also looks good, (Tower Tail Lamp, as Mahindra says it kisses the roof), it’s again subjective, and I would say “Beauty lies in the eyes of the beholder; I love that styling. New Scorpio comes with a bonnet scoop, even though its fake but it gives a nice look, isn’t it? Add on spoiler with brake lights, now all truck drivers face will turn red, if Scorpio is in front of them! It’s on the roof edge. Scorpio SLX comes with roof top ski racks, its just adding the look of the vehicle; I haven’t used that for any purpose. Integrated foot steps with lights, is another exterior feature, but I haven’t seen anyone using that foot steps for getting in to the vehicle. However, after dark the foot step light gives a different look to the Scorpio. Another feature is follow me home head lamp; it glows for a minute or so when you lock the vehicle after having a drive with head lamps on.
Negatives
Mahindra should’ve provided front fog lamps as a standard fitment with at least with the top models. I have to spend around 1500 RS to put fog lamps. Bonnet scoop groove act as a reservoir when it rains, you have to remove the water from that after rain or washing. No major negatives so far in style and looks.
Interiors
Positives:
My Scorpio is a 7 seater with side seats, more often 5 guys used to travel in this. Mahindra had provided lot of storage spaces inside the Scorpio; you can place 4 beer bottles on all four doors, no mention about back seat guys! Also it provides cup holders on front central area. Mobile charging facility is provided on front and middle row. In 7 seater version, there is lot of leg room for the second row passengers. All control switches are well placed for easy accessibility for driver. Air conditioner: I will say it’s superb in this class. You will get freeze if you put air conditioner to full. Illuminated ignition key slot; much help full in dark. Power and tilt able steering, helps you to maneuver the vehicle very easily and effortlessly. Power windows; another feature. Mahindra is providing a Kenwood (Nippon) MP3 Player with SLX model. Oops forgot to mention about Voice assist system, unique feature of SLX model, really helps me, I often forget to release the hand brake, and it reminds me about that, it reminds me to fill the tank, about opened doors etc…
Negatives
First, I would like to comment on air conditioner; it’s very efficient for front seat passengers, for middle row, just for freezing your genitals, so well placed on the middle to get enough cooling for your private parts. I don’t know why they can’t provide roof a/c vents. And for third row, is there anything called a/c in this car! Tilt able steering; make sure to place the steering in higher position before getting out of the car, otherwise it will be very difficult to get in next time. Audio player really sucks! I want to get rid of that thing.

Engine And Performance :
Positives:
Awesome performance, pretty quick, it really a high powered work horse. It delivers 28.3 kgm of torque and 115 bhp of power; you can easily cruise from 0 to 60 in just 7 seconds. Very low NVH, compared to any other diesel vehicles, you feel like driving a petrol car, that is CRDe! And about the FE, I am getting 11 -11.5 on highways with full a/c and 10-10.5 on city drives, comparing to other SUV’s this figure is quite impressive. What say? I haven’t crossed 130 Km/H but am sure that this vehicle can go far beyond that, still need to test the top speed. There is no lack of power even when the a/c is on. You can easily overtake any vehicle with out shifting the gears.
Negatives:
Once I had faced a major issue with this engine, it was on my way to Trivandrum from Cochin, after hitting 120 km/h the engine suddenly lacks power and absolutely no response, feels like missing or no fuel supply. I was on the national highway at that time, I pushed the accelerator harder, but of no use. Then I applied the clutch completely and hit the accelerator pedal completely, after some time engine slowly starts responding. This happens 2-3 times that day. I called up Mahindra Service Centre, (TVS Cochin) one guy told me that they have found similar kind of issue with some other customers also (CRDe) this is due to impurity in fuel, they suggest to fill the tank with Super Diesel or Reliance Diesel, I told them, I haven’t used normal diesel so far and always insist on Super Diesel, then they said it might happen if there is water content on the fuel, they told me to empty the tank and fill the tank from another pump (lots of pump doesn’t provide good fuel). I filled the tank and went for another drive, and it again happened to me again, I called them up and they told me to bring the vehicle for inspection. Later, I was told by a service engineer that Mahindra has done some thing in Scorpio to recycle the fuel (don’t know the details, please forgive), they just unplugged that thing (its like a wiring with a plug just under the bonnet below the front glass) and now my vehicle doesn’t have any problem, its going smoother than before, Hurray!!!!!!!! Well, I guess CRDe engines can’t with stand fuel impurities, so try to fill the tank from a reliable pump that gives good fuel and go for super diesel or turbo jet.

Ride And Handling :
Positives:
Its fun to drive a Scorpio, it can easily cruise through the city traffic, you wont feel like handling a big vehicle, its very easy. CRDe engine delivers much power that makes the overtaking and high way rides very comfortable. Shifting of gear is smooth, but from 1st to 2nd its bit stiff. No knocking while driving slowly on higher gears. Overall it gives a thrilling driving experience. P 235/70 R16, Tubeless Bridgestone gives nice road grip.
Negatives:
Still needs lots of improvement on braking, needs to learn how to drive/handle this vehicle, then its fun. I am afraid to push this vehicle to its limit because of braking, I am not so confident, that I can handle this in higher speeds. If the road is not so good, don’t attempt a sharp turn on this vehicle, you will mess up. Traveling in third row seat is really a jumping experience still, even though they have improved the suspension in new Scorpio, but far better than old Scorpio.
Overall:
My experience with this beauty is great. And you don’t have to spend much for servicing this vehicle, I have spend around 1500/- RS each for 5000Km and 10000Km Service. Once, our driver, scratched the front bumper, and for painting the entire bumper I have to spend only 600 RS, isn’t it cheaper? The mechanic told me that the spare parts are cheaper compared to other SUV’s. If you are looking for an SUV around 7.5 -9 Lacs, looking for an outstanding and powerful diesel engine performance, easy cruising on city, and if you really love to be in driver seat, go ahead, Scorpio is for you. The CRDe engine really rocks!
Note: I have missed lot of things in this review, please forgive. I will update this review after another long drive experience.
Old 5th June 2007, 14:25   #2
BHPian

nice detailed review ....
Old 5th June 2007, 15:32   #3
BHPian

loved the part about the beer bottles.
is there an option to turn off the voice assist?
about the roof mounted ac, a friend bought a scorpio slx and he had mentioned the dealer was willing to install it for an extra Rs. 15k-20k.
Old 5th June 2007, 15:37   #4
Senior - BHPian

Very nice and well written review. I heard the new Scorpios have a redone suspension. I'd like to hear your comments on the handling
Old 5th June 2007, 15:39   #5
Team-BHP Support

Its November 2006 review, wonder if he is still around
Old 5th June 2007, 15:51   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1979 View Post
Its November 2006 review, wonder if he is still around
Ya, he is still around, his last visit on TBHP was on 1 june,2007.
I have not seen many reviews gone unnoticed ( without comments) on TBHP.

@Crazy : Any updates you can share.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:08   #7
BHPian

Very good and detailed review, I agree with you on the rear air conditioner Vents, Mahindra should have provided roof a/c vents.
Old 5th June 2007, 17:52   #8
Senior - BHPian

Well, a very nice detailed review. But I have heard contradicting views about the AC of Scorpio. My dad who recently travelled in a scorpio for one day thought that the AC is inadequate. He said the rear vents are of no use & it would have been better if Mahindra had provided roof mounted vents.
Old 6th June 2007, 12:28   #9
BHPian

thank you all.. i'm here only..i'm a silent member of TBHP ;-) i always keep my eyes and ears widely open to tbhp members postings..

@cheap_deal.. you can turn off the voice assist..its explained in owners manual .. i've turned off the seat belt warning..i've check out the roof mount ac.. few combinations with ignition key turning off and on

@Dippy..yup suspenion is far better compared to old scorpio.. still the handling is scary on bumby roads if you are speeding over 70KMPH..and also taking turns..on highways it rocks..but need to have bit careful about braking
Old 9th June 2007, 23:04   #10
BHPian

Great review CrazyStuff. Wonder if we could get after market ABS kits installed? I think that should improve the braking?
Old 11th June 2007, 15:15   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hsejars View Post
Great review CrazyStuff. Wonder if we could get after market ABS kits installed? I think that should improve the braking?
Please DONT!! Brakes are one of the most viral control points of your car and can be either life-saving / breaking. I wouldnt recommend letting an after-market vendor perform such a heavy modification (add ABS) to the braking system.
Old 11th June 2007, 15:49   #12
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyStuff View Post
Mahindra is providing a Kenwood (Nippon) MP3 Player with SLX model.
Negatives
Audio player really sucks! I want to get rid of that thing.
That HU comes with a USB port and SD card clot in front - talk about convenience. It is slightly flimsy and I've been advised to use the remote as much as possible.

Why do you think its so bad?

I don't have a Scorpio but I bought the HU off a Scorpio owner who wanted to upgrade the ICE.
Old 11th June 2007, 16:52   #13
BHPian

I have to change the HU twice in one year time. Actually it is not a kenwood HU instead its a Nippon HU, this is what the service center guy told me!!! Still its showing some issues, taking too much time to read MP3 cds (written one, but fair with originals) i have to again check :-(.

One good thing!!!! Saw one scrorpio yesterday with ford fiesta kind of head rests in the back! is it a new addition?
Old 17th June 2007, 10:50   #14
BHPian

Nice Review. Would like to know more about that fuel recycling thing of Mahindra which the service engineers unplugged.

Hows you dealership experience in TVS?
Old 18th June 2007, 11:58   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hi Guys,

I'am planning to buy a LX version of Scopio. Presently i'am driving a Wagon R LXi. Can u give me some of the reviews manuverability of the above. I will be shifting from a small car to a bigger segment........

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks