Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st January 2024, 01:36   #76
Senior - BHPian

Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : 1,20,000 km & 6 years up

I have not been updating this thread for so long, and there are many reasons: I am travelling a lot, I have an 18-month-old toddler with immense energy and a routine that restricts the time I have with me, I am the founder-partner-owner of a new firm which is pretty much taking everything I have right now.

I crossed 1,20,000 km this week. Thanks to the ban on BS4 diesels in Delhi every time we hit GRAP stage 3 or 4, the vehicle gets grounded for weeks. But when its allowed, it is munching 2000+ km every month. Overall, the main landmarks are as follows:

1) Second set of tyres at 84,000 km (Geolandar AT) and second battery
2) Vaccum modulator changed a couple of times (warranty)
3) Intake manifold developed leakage (replaced part-paid)
4) Starter Motor changed at 80,000 km (extended warranty)
5) Steering Rack Serviced
6) Timing Chain done
7) All 4 shock absorbers changed
So, essentially all routine and age / odo-based major maintenance seems to have been done except the clutch. I am hoping to get that done in another 10-15,000 km. It's still pulling fine (just did a lot of hills with 5+ luggage on board) but the pedal is heavy now.

There has been no major problems, heartaches or unpalatable expenses and it keeps chugging along happily. Now, with all scheduled maintenance, the car would have been just chugging along for the rest of the 4 years of its legal life but the question of a replacement arises for two reasons: (a) the whole NGT / GRAP problem that is rendering this BS-4 diesel car unusable for more than 50-60 days a year and (b) the pain of driving a manual in bad traffic for 100-200 km a day which has started affecting my knees.

This car will (most likely) remain as a second car for the next 4 years at least but I am completely at sea with a replacement. Cars are expensive and have massive waiting periods, diesels are out of question for NCR buyers and most the petrols in my bidget are 1.0 / 1.2 litre cars / pseudo SUVs which wouldn't stand the abuse, the water-logging and the unpredictable conditions in the areas where this car ends up for work.
architect is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 02:12   #77
BHPian

Re: Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : Palio MJD replaced

I feel your pain. After Driving that torquey fun diesel car for a decade so much for so long would inevitably leave you with much lower options today in the petrol world:

1. If it’s torquey, it has to be a Turbo.
2. If it’s a Turbo, It won’t be efficient.
3. If its efficient, it won’t be as torquey/fun-to-drive.

It seems all three are just not going to be there in a single Petrol car now in a mid-size Hatch/CrossOver/CSUV in the current market.

My Turbo Petrol i20 is torquey (enough) with good power and drive experience, but Turbo Petrols are crazy guzzlers. Even with all the driving discipline, I can only maintain upto14 on a tankful basis.

It’s like the CAP Theorem in Distributed Software but for Petrol ICE vehicles. And no, they wouldn’t stand the abuse a well built Mahindra would (I believe for daily use Mahindra vehicles are mechanically sturdily built and can withstand a lot of abuse that Streets of Delhi have on offer).

At 200kms a day, an EV wouldn’t be good given the current range for an EV, because then you HAVE to charge it every night. Even one night of a power cut/delay and you’ll need to make other arrangements. I don’t imagine these would stand the Delhi Streets’ abuse either.

If someone could think of a good sensible replacement, then probably a 1.0 AT Fronx comes to mind. It would be the only possible compromise from power/torqueyness/fuel consumption aspect. A compromise to each of the three aspects. Apart from that, I don’t think the car can last 2 lac kms of usage across 10 years. That’s where I think you’re heading based on your driving style and mobility needs. I don’t see all these criteria possibly being met in any budget petrol car at the moment for a while here in India.

Last edited by SixPistons : 1st January 2024 at 02:24.
SixPistons is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 14:56   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixPistons View Post
I feel your pain. I don’t see all these criteria possibly being met in any budget petrol car at the moment for a while here in India.
You have understood it well. I am OK with FE in 2 digits even if currently I enjoy 15+ in most situations but driveability and torque are major demands. Possible options are XUV300 TGDI with TC AT (reportedly coming next year, currently available only in MT), Scorpio N Z4 AT (almost 20 lakh OTR in my city with single digit FE and just 2 airbags) and can't think of anything else.
architect is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:07   #79
Senior - BHPian

Re: Black Mahindra TUV300 T6+ MT : 1,20,000 km & 6 years up

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
I have not been updating this thread for so long, and there are many reasons: I am travelling a lot, I have an 18-month-old toddler with immense energy and a routine that restricts the time I have with me, I am the founder-partner-owner of a new firm which is pretty much taking everything I have right now.

I crossed 1,20,000 km this week. Thanks to the ban on BS4 diesels in Delhi every time we hit GRAP stage 3 or 4, the vehicle gets grounded for weeks. But when its allowed, it is munching 2000+ km every month. Overall, the main landmarks are as follows:
Good summary there, architect. Your TUV has proven to be a workhorse. I wish and pray that it continues to serve you well. What is this GRAP and does it affects your car?

Have you thought of Nexon EV as your next car or any EV car for that matter?
Old 1st January 2024, 19:49   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Hi Sid.

I feel you, brother. It is really annoying that our well maintained diesel cars are banned every year. The scene in Delhi is that heavy users like us are essentially screwed. I have let go of my City, will have to replace Hexa as well soon.

Can’t buy diesel anymore. I think it makes zero sense to buy a turbo petrol with their generally single digit fuel economy. NA engined cars are boring and super light, can’t withstand abuse like the good old TUV.

Have you considered CNG? The Hyryder/Grand Vitara CNG, they have no automatic option but can work for you otherwise and without draining your wallet. It is fairly decent to drive. Especially considering you are coming from a basic Mahindra, it’s gonna be peppier than that.

Otherwise, if home charging is available, just get the Nexon EV LR. I did that, and man there is no looking back. My average diesel expense has gone down from 10k a week to barely 1000-1500 bucks. All running has shifted to Nexon, and Hexa and Compass are used only when EV is either unavailable or for long distance highway runs. Also helps that the car is an absolute hoot to drive and is tough enough in typical Tata style. The fast charging network across north India is really extensive and you can easily take the car places with a bit of planning.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 1st January 2024 at 19:58.
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2024, 14:12   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
Good summary there, architect. Your TUV has proven to be a workhorse. I wish and pray that it continues to serve you well. What is this GRAP and does it affects your car?

Have you thought of Nexon EV as your next car or any EV car for that matter?
GRAP is a Graded Response Action Plan for pollution in Delhi NCR area where restrictions kick in as per the severity of the pollution.

We have had 2 E2Os where I work and their long term reliability was terrible. I know EVs have made huge improvements and they are dirt cheap to run but I will wait and watch some more. The home setup will take some time to get EV charging facilities.
architect is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th February 2024, 22:16   #82
BHPian

With the kind of running you are putting, best option would be an electric vehicle. They are torquey right from zero RPM and can save you a lot of bucks too. Plus EVs are low on maintenance and automatic too.

2nd option would be Hyryder/Grand Vitara AWD if you need those capabilities, or Hyryder/Grand Vitara Strong hybrid for their excellent economy and automatic transmission too. I would recommend strong hybrid over CNG as it will give you automatic transmission and good enough torque too compared to CNG.

Last option would be to buy another TUV300/Bolero Neo. There is hardly anything that comes close to the ruggedness at its price point. But not having automatic transmission is a big miss these days especially with the kind of running you do.

Last edited by Time_Machine : 5th February 2024 at 22:18. Reason: Grammer
Old 8th February 2024, 11:40   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect View Post
This car will (most likely) remain as a second car for the next 4 years at least but I am completely at sea with a replacement. Cars are expensive and have massive waiting periods, diesels are out of question for NCR buyers and most the petrols in my bidget are 1.0 / 1.2 litre cars / pseudo SUVs which wouldn't stand the abuse, the water-logging and the unpredictable conditions in the areas where this car ends up for work.
Hello Arc!
One solution - 2 words - Suzuki Jimny!

A BOF, abuse friendly, mod friendly, budget friendly, go anywhere thing! Available in AT too!

Only compromise - Space.

Regards,
Powertrain

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks