Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th January 2021, 05:25   #271
Team-BHP Support

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramsi View Post
Have asked for quotes for both the Yokos and Conti in a 245/45/18, square, set up on the factory fitted existing Alloys
I am not changing those as you have

Hope this is right AND WORKS for the Sedan too ( I don't have a GT)?

Would you in your opinion or knowledge suggest getting a quote for Pirelli's too In the office my colleagues have Pirellis on 1) Merc Glc 2) Range rover Discovery both averaged over 40,000 km on them they are biased towards this Marque obviously!.

Or are they not robust enough to handle the power of the 330i?

I've countered saying I'm relying on Distinguished - BHPian advise.

finally, a Thank you to you @graaja + @ TeamBHP for educating us novice enthusiasts and Steering us right ( no pun intended )
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad that the information is of some help

245/45/R18 are is size for the GT, which came originally with 255/45/R18 and 225/50/R18. I believe the sedan comes with 255/40/R18 and 225/45/R18. So, the correct size for the square setup for the sedan will be 245/40/R18. Also compared to 255/40/R18, there is only 0.1" (2.5mm) reduction in sidewall. This is not a very big reduction.

I do not have first hand experience with Pirellis. So, I am not sure. Maybe someone with an experience with Pirellis can comment on that.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 06:43   #272
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I do not have first hand experience with Pirellis. So, I am not sure. Maybe someone with an experience with Pirellis can comment on that.
Had Pirellis (P7 Cinturato RFTs 245/50R18) on my X3, and just replaced them with fresh Pirellis. Was quite happy with the ride and comfort, perhaps the higher profile combined with the adaptive dampers on my car kept in comfort mode made them easy to live with. Had one puncture over nearly 4 years and 30,000 km, which I got patched despite BMW’s belief that you should discard RFTs post a puncture. Tyres had lost some tread when I replaced them, but were not unusable - the main reason for replacing them was a planned drive to Goa. The feedback from the dealer was that RFTs usually last under 25,000 km - and that I had been lucky with my set.
Hayek is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 14th January 2021, 13:59   #273
BHPian

Quote:
Thank you for the kind words. I am glad that the information is of some help

245/45/R18 are is size for the GT, which came originally with 255/45/R18 and 225/50/R18. I believe the sedan comes with 255/40/R18 and 225/45/R18. So, the correct size for the square setup for the sedan will be 245/40/R18. Also compared to 255/40/R18, there is only 0.1" (2.5mm) reduction in sidewall. This is not a very big reduction.

Thank you so much for your input to date and saved me from the mistake of running with an incorrect square set up
It really has been helpful and educational.

Together with your and SantoshBhats input Ill run with the Yokos and after reading @Hayek's reply following yours seems that wear is also low on the Pirellis.

I say this as I'm assuming Yoko's will definitely have an edge on the costings.
Only thing worries me only on his rears having read @santosh's reply the Yokos have given him an Avg of 17-18k only on his rears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Had Pirellis (P7 Cinturato RFTs 245/50R18) on my X3, and just replaced them with fresh Pirellis. Was quite happy with the ride and comfort, perhaps the higher profile combined with the adaptive dampers on my car kept in comfort mode made them easy to live with. Had one puncture over nearly 4 years and 30,000 km, which I got patched despite BMW’s belief that you should discard RFTs post a puncture. Tyres had lost some tread when I replaced them, but were not unusable - the main reason for replacing them was a planned drive to Goa. The feedback from the dealer was that RFTs usually last under 25,000 km - and that I had been lucky with my set.
Thank you so much for the input valuable insight.

Seems that 25k is also low So will be running with Yoko's as perhaps costings will prove beneficial and having heard of both @graaja and@ SantoshBhats replies and some other views on the TeamBHP forums

Quote:
I believe the sedan comes with 255/40/R18 and 225/45/R18. So, the correct size for the square setup for the sedan will be 245/40/R18. Also compared to 255/40/R18, there is only 0.1" (2.5mm) reduction in sidewall. This is not a very big reduction.
A 2.5mm reduction seems so negligible that I feel I won't even perhaps feel any difference in the ride quality and Breakers may also not turn out to be an issue

Thank you so much on the correct size heads up. It's saved me from a lot of embarrassment if I had approached the dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayek View Post
Apologies for a rather incomplete response on the choice of running with @graaja, @SantoshBhat is b'cos I moving on to tubeless and you are running on a higher profile and RFTs

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Sheel : 14th January 2021 at 21:40. Reason: Mod note attached.
Old 20th January 2021, 17:58   #274
Team-BHP Support

About 10 days back saw the notification that the front brake pads are up for a change. Decided to get it done after Pongal holidays.

This is what it reads today.
A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5003.jpg

Called up the service manager yesterday and took the car to the workshop. They checked the brake discs and found that the discs also need a change. However they do not have the discs in stock and are expecting it in a week. As I have a trip to Munnar this weekend, I wanted the pads to be replaced and the discs after they arrive. However, with the BSI+ policy, if the discs are up for replacement, they have to be changed with the pads.

As my trip would be about 500 kilometers, the service manager told me it is perfectly fine to take the car to Munnar. He promised me that he will send a driver to collect the car and deliver it back after replacing the pads and discs.

So no hard cornering in the hill roads this time
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:18   #275
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
..However, with the BSI+ policy, if the discs are up for replacement, they have to be changed with the pads.

As my trip would be about 500 kilometers, the service manager told me it is perfectly fine to take the car to Munnar...
This is one downside to BSI where due to procedural issues they are deferring a critical service job.

I had a similar situation where I drove with near worn out pads and guess what, during the journey the pads were fully worn out and metal filings started splashing on the car's paint.

There are 4 pads in the front and only one of these pads has a wear-sensor I think. Or maybe two pads one on each wheel. Not sure. The remaining distance shown on iDrive is only approximate. Even worse, the pad without the sensor could be fully worn out.

I am not saying you should not go ahead with your journey, just pointing out the quirks of BSI and other similar prepaid service packages. If you didn't have BSI, I am sure you would have got the pads changed even if the disks were out of stock.
androdev is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 19:49   #276
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
This is one downside to BSI where due to procedural issues they are deferring a critical service job.

I had a similar situation where I drove with near worn out pads and guess what, during the journey the pads were fully worn out and metal filings started splashing on the car's paint.

There are 4 pads in the front and only one of these pads has a wear-sensor I think. Or maybe two pads one on each wheel. Not sure. The remaining distance shown on iDrive is only approximate. Even worse, the pad without the sensor could be fully worn out.

I am not saying you should not go ahead with your journey, just pointing out the quirks of BSI and other similar prepaid service packages. If you didn't have BSI, I am sure you would have got the pads changed even if the disks were out of stock.
Totally agree. The quirks of BSI!! Even the service manager mentioned this. He said if it were not under BSI, then they could change the pads first and then the discs. But with BSI, they are not able to do this.

But they measured the pad thickness on both the wheels and they are uniformly worn out with 4mm of thickness left. That is why the service manager is confident that I can drive another 500-750km without any issues. Once I am back from the trip, I will not drive the car till the discs are replaced.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 20:24   #277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
He said if it were not under BSI, then they could change the pads first and then the discs.
I won't change just the pads if the discs are worn out or have any marks. On such fast cars, always advisable to change both together.

If they have measured, you will be good for the trip
Turbanator is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 21:41   #278
Senior - BHPian

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home

Quote:
So no hard cornering in the hill roads this time

Enjoy the hills my friend. Don't forget you have the paddles and engine braking.

Not our fault that they do not have the discs in stock.: High time to stock up on the basics.

Last edited by Arjun Reddy : 20th January 2021 at 21:47.
Arjun Reddy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2021, 23:50   #279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
About 10 days back saw the notification that the front brake pads are up for a change.

This is what it reads today.
Attachment 2111128
Notification came up at 1200 kms or 2000 kms?

For Oil change, it shows at 2000 kms.

Quote:
Called up the service manager yesterday and took the car to the workshop. They checked the brake discs and found that the discs also need a change.
What is the minimum thickness required for the disc?
Old 21st January 2021, 05:06   #280
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbanator View Post
I won't change just the pads if the discs are worn out or have any marks. On such fast cars, always advisable to change both together.

If they have measured, you will be good for the trip
Agree. It is always good to have the disc changed along with the pad for better life and performance. That should be the reason why it is also as a part of the BSI policy. And yes, they measured both the pads with calipers and only then gave me the "go ahead" for the trip. So, I am going to enjoy the trip without any worry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjun Reddy View Post
Enjoy the hills my friend. Don't forget you have the paddles and engine braking.

Not our fault that they do not have the discs in stock.: High time to stock up on the basics.
Yep. I always use manual mode and paddle shifters in the descents for engine braking. I usually like to brake aggressively while entering corners and accelerate as I exit (only if the corner has good visibility). I will take it a little easy for this drive without making it too boring either

Quote:
Originally Posted by el lobo 6061 View Post
Notification came up at 1200 kms or 2000 kms?

For Oil change, it shows at 2000 kms.

What is the minimum thickness required for the disc?
When the notification popped up, it was at 1900km. I have driven about 600km since then and now it stands at 1200km.

I don't know what is the minimum thickness for the discs. Will check next time and update.
graaja is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2021, 19:55   #281

@graaja @moontan@turbanator @aseemsood - Thank you all for your inputs. Glad to let you know that I made the decision to go with 30d xline and have booked it. Will pick it up next week. I will for sure post a review and pics. I only pray that I can write a detailed review like some of you folks

Btw @graaja I am also from CBE, I come down to CBE at least once a month. Would be good if we can catch up for a cup of coffee Let me know how we can exchange co-ordinates.
vikrishn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 07:46   #282
Team-BHP Support

Had a wonderful drive to Munnar. Though I was planning to go easy with the brakes on the curves, once I hit the hills, all the resolution went away like new year gym resolution

I took the Bodi route and the roads are wide and almost with zero traffic - except for a few stretches where road widening work is in progress. Had lots of fun in this stretch of about 30 kilometres. Fortunately, I did not completely wear out the brake pads

As I was traveling with another family, did not get enough photo shoot opportunities. But still managed to stop the car in a couple of spots and managed click a few pictures.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5478.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5484.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5564.jpg

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-img_5565.jpg

The brake pad service distance before and after the trip. The distance has reduced by about 700 km in 600km of drive.

A GT joins a GT - Estoril Blue BMW 330i GT M-Sport comes home - EDIT: 100,000 kilometers up-cbs.jpg

Will park the car till the workshop gets the discs in stock and they change both the pads and discs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrishn View Post
Thank you all for your inputs. Glad to let you know that I made the decision to go with 30d xline and have booked it. Will pick it up next week. I will for sure post a review and pics. I only pray that I can write a detailed review like some of you folks

Btw @graaja I am also from CBE, I come down to CBE at least once a month. Would be good if we can catch up for a cup of coffee Let me know how we can exchange co-ordinates.
Congratulations on the 30d xline! Wishing you tens of thousands of miles and smiles. Please do post a detailed review with lots of pictures!

Apologies for the delay in reply. Was away in Munnar with no connectivity. I would love to catch up with you for coffee when you come to Coimbatore. As I am not able to send you a PM, send me a mail to <my tbhp handle>@gmail dot com.

Last edited by graaja : 27th January 2021 at 07:48.
graaja is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 15:52   #283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Had a wonderful drive to Munnar.
Amazing views, and of course similarly of your steed. My countdown to service is also at 3,800 km and I will buy my BSI pack just before. Still evaluating whether BSI or BSI+ though. The latter is of course complete peace of mind!

On another note, wish Munnar was more accessible from BLR (although that comes with it's own cons). Currently, even with a early start from BLR, it still takes an uncomfortably long time for the passengers. I'll be sure to enjoy the wide roads till Dindigul etc. and then the ghats.
itwasntme is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 16:51   #284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
Amazing views, and of course similarly of your steed. My countdown to service is also at 3,800 km and I will buy my BSI pack just before. Still evaluating whether BSI or BSI+ though. The latter is of course complete peace of mind!

On another note, wish Munnar was more accessible from BLR (although that comes with it's own cons). Currently, even with a early start from BLR, it still takes an uncomfortably long time for the passengers. I'll be sure to enjoy the wide roads till Dindigul etc. and then the ghats.
Thank you for the kind words!

If your running is 15K+ a year, I will highly recommend going for the BSI+. It is total peace of mind. If you are not careful with every service, they may either inflate the service costs or add something that is unnecessary etc. With BSI+, it has been zero cost for me the past 3 years and I don't have to worry about any unnecessary charges or overcharging etc.

True. Munnar is definitely a little too far for a single day drive from Bangalore, at least for the family.
graaja is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 27th January 2021, 23:40   #285
BHPian

Quote:
Had a wonderful drive to Munnar. Though I was planning to go easy with the brakes on the curves, once I hit the hills, all the resolution went away like new year gym resolution
Well when my baby comes back I'll narrate my experience similar to yours
it may not be distinguished in communication as you.
She's gone in for some TLC

Quote:

As I was travelling with another family, did not get enough photoshoot opportunities. But still managed to stop the car in a couple of spots and managed to click a few pictures.
Apart from being a keen explorer and an adventurist, you seem to be an avid photographer too
I like the angles of your shots not only doing justice to the beauty of India but capturing your pride and Joy in its glory in the scene
ramsi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks