Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2019, 01:37   #16
BHPian

Re: Owner's view - 5 years with a Hyundai Xcent S Petrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by katchkamalesh View Post
The AC issue seems to be pretty common with Hyundais.
I can concur. Two of my colleagues who have CRDI i20s faced similar A/C issues within a year of ownership. For one, it only took 1 visit to ASC to solve the problem and for the other it took 2 visits to solve the problem. Both were bought brand new and both of them faced this on long drives making their trips hell.

Based on A/C issues I have heard and read about on i20s so far, more and more it looks like Hyundai should have done full diagnosis and issued a recall.

Last edited by Yieldway17 : 18th May 2019 at 01:39.
Yieldway17 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 12:46   #17
BHPian

I own the petrol SX(O). Have it for close to 4 years.

Apart from the AC, there is absolutely no issue. Over long drives, the AC is not effective.

In the last service done about a month back, I complained about this. The service centre diagnosed the issue and informed that a sensor needs to be replaced. Since this was not in stock, I had to wait. Still waiting !!
shatananda.k is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th May 2019, 20:47   #18
BHPian

Somewhere near Hometown:
Attachment 1866122

Sir are you from Theni, Tamil Nadu. Excuse me for stalking up on your TN 60 registration
Aravind_M92 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 00:32   #19
BHPian

I own a nearly 5 year old xcent sx(o) petrol model as well. Good car. Practical as well. I have the same issues with ac too. Recently changed the evaporator coil. 7000 odd rupees for part and labour. Looks like its a very common issue.
revmaxx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th May 2019, 03:04   #20
Senior - BHPian

Nice review xcentrk. Is the rear seat good enough for 3 adults? Regarding the points in your review, the dash integrated gear stick is something which descended from the i10-s years back and there is practicality to that. In general, I being a proud Hyundai owner can tell you that the smooth gear shift is a trait in the Hyundai's, and these cars can be driven with a short dip clutch and even lighter touch gas pedal unlike the Maruti-s. Regarding your service history, the clutch change even for my Getz happened at 62,000 km so it seems around this much is what in general Hyundai clutches last.
haisaikat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th May 2019, 10:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pranavtengshe View Post
Just press and release the clutch in nuetral before shifting reverse.
Sure, will try this and see if it helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shatananda.k View Post
...sensor needs to be replaced. Since this was not in stock, I had to wait. Still waiting !!
That's really bad. Can you please let us know what sensor needs to be replaced?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aravind_M92 View Post
Sir are you from Theni, Tamil Nadu. Excuse me for stalking up on your TN 60 registration
Hey @Aravind. Yes, my hometown is a small village around Theni. One of my favorite places on the earth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revmaxx View Post
...I have the same issues with ac too. Recently changed the evaporator coil. 7000 odd rupees for part and labour. Looks like its a very common issue.
It's time for new thread to see how many users have AC issues in Hyundai car!

Quote:
Originally Posted by haisaikat View Post
Nice review xcentrk. Is the rear seat good enough for 3 adults?
For medium built adults, it is more than enough. If one of the adults is chubby, then the other two will have hard time.

Quote:
.... the smooth gear shift is a trait in the Hyundai's, and these cars can be driven with a short dip clutch and even lighter touch gas pedal unlike the Maruti-s.
Yeah, even in my friend's older gen i20 the shift is butter smooth even after 10 years of usage.

Quote:
Regarding your service history, the clutch change even for my Getz happened at 62,000 km so it seems around this much is what in general Hyundai clutches last.
Need to verify this statement with other owners. But I can see a lot of used Xcent/Grandi10 with about same mileage or more than mine, yet running perfectly alright with stock clutch.

I think it will either because of the individual usage rather than short lifetime. Can any Grand siblings owners confirm this?
xcentrk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 18:01   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post

Please list down reliability issues here if you are okay with it. Will help some of us here.
1. Both rear ABS sensors failed a few months ago. Made my pocket lighter by around 10K
2. Uneven idling which needed throttle body cleaning. This inspire of filling mostly from HP Coco bunk.
3. Unhappy with stock Apollo tyres. They are going bad pretty quickly. In less than 4 years they have lost grip. Expected them to last around 5 years (kilometres irrelevant as my running is low. In my case tyres always reach end of their elapsed time life before reaching end of kilometers life). They have worn out more than what they should have in 22000 km.
4. Last and definitely not the least - the AC! It is weak by nature, but that's how it is and I had accepted it. However now it has lost more than half of its cooling capacity. Will get it checked outside HASS soon. Hoping it is not a major expense. Fingers crossed!
5. Headlights list alignment on their own, fixed by HASS free of change.

I would say the ownership experience has been a mixed bag for me

Last edited by AkMar : 24th May 2019 at 18:06.
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2019, 21:10   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
1. Both rear ABS sensors failed a few months ago. Made my pocket lighter by around 10K
2. Uneven idling which needed throttle body cleaning. This inspire of filling mostly from HP Coco bunk.
3. Unhappy with stock Apollo tyres. They are going bad pretty quickly. In less than 4 years they have lost grip. Expected them to last around 5 years (kilometres irrelevant as my running is low. In my case tyres always reach end of their elapsed time life before reaching end of kilometers life). They have worn out more than what they should have in 22000 km.
4. Last and definitely not the least - the AC! It is weak by nature, but that's how it is and I had accepted it. However now it has lost more than half of its cooling capacity. Will get it checked outside HASS soon. Hoping it is not a major expense. Fingers crossed!
5. Headlights list alignment on their own, fixed by HASS free of change.

I would say the ownership experience has been a mixed bag for me
Thanks for sharing the list! Let me just say, Woah! That's some list. Sorry to see you go through such ordeal. I thought I had it worse, but man yours is the worst!

Out of these, I have faced issues with A/C which has not resurfaced yet, but the AC change happened only 8 months ago, so can't comment. Need to wait and see.

Also, point 2. These days I can feel the idling is not smooth and can feel it especially while waiting for traffic. Guess I need to check it during the upcoming service!
Old 28th May 2019, 10:35   #24
BHPian

Dropped the vehicle for 60k kms service. SA quoted approximate bill of 10k, since for 60k they need to change fuel filter, spark plug, Gear Oil etc. Just want to confirm if the price seems to be ok?

I clearly mentioned them to not to add anything else to inflate the bill anf they are usually upfront and do as I informed. But still 10k seems little high. Can someone please confirm on this?
Old 3rd June 2019, 17:18   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcentrk View Post
Dropped the vehicle for 60k kms service. SA quoted approximate bill of 10k, since for 60k they need to change fuel filter, spark plug, Gear Oil etc. Just want to confirm if the price seems to be ok?

I clearly mentioned them to not to add anything else to inflate the bill anf they are usually upfront and do as I informed. But still 10k seems little high. Can someone please confirm on this?
Came here a bit late. You must have got your car back by now. What was the final cost? Can you share the breakup of it?
Old 3rd June 2019, 22:13   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Came here a bit late. You must have got your car back by now. What was the final cost? Can you share the breakup of it?
Please find attached bill.

I know they have done the AC disinfectant scam but since my uncle was there, they did this. *sigh* Since he had to travel for another state, he decided to do Wheel Balancing & Alignment in HASS itself, which is on higher side than my usual!
Attached Images

Last edited by xcentrk : 3rd June 2019 at 22:15.
Old 4th June 2019, 00:35   #27
Senior - BHPian

Coolant, spark plugs replacement is not needed at this moment as per owners manual. I believe front and rear brake overhaul too is a scam like AC disinfectant. Service pro medium also is unnecessary. Did the SA explain what it means? Considering alignment and balancing as valid items, a rough addition of these items comes out to around 2500-3000 extra

Last edited by AkMar : 4th June 2019 at 00:38. Reason: Typo
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 21:55   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Coolant, spark plugs replacement is not needed at this moment as per owners manual. I believe front and rear brake overhaul too is a scam like AC disinfectant. Service pro medium also is unnecessary. Did the SA explain what it means? Considering alignment and balancing as valid items, a rough addition of these items comes out to around 2500-3000 extra
Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned, SA didn't informed me and since my uncle was the one who took it for service, I couldn't get a chance to visit them. I will escalate this matter to concern department.
xcentrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th June 2019, 23:46   #29
Senior - BHPian

Great review, @xcentrk. One of my pals in BLR changed to the Xcent petrol around 3 years ago, and is very happy with it. He earlier had an Accent Viva.

I had a short ride with him on the rear seat and was surprised by the space and comfort it offered! Only let down was the integrated headrests. But rest of the stuff like dashboard, interiors etc was top notch. I did not find the AC weak, but that was in Bangalore in September, so now you know why!

While driving to Bangalore from Hyderabad on my Fiesta, I was surprised to see an Xcent petrol trying to keep pace with me after going over a speed breaker. I was impressed with the grunt it had. Other cars would lag behind.

As regards AC evarporator coil issues, even Fords have the same issue. I had to change mine after 8 years, and the one in my daughter's Figo after 5 years. The third party AC guy I go to told me that nowadays most car brands are using aluminium evaporator coils for aiding in quick cooling, but they rust very soon. I've had similar issues with my Samsung split AC at home because it had an Aluminium coil.

Wish you many happy miles of ownership.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th June 2019, 22:01   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Great review, @xcentrk. One of my pals in BLR changed to the Xcent petrol around 3 years ago, and is very happy with it. He earlier had an Accent Viva.
Thanks @vnabi. Yes, xcent is indeed a nice vehicle overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The third party AC guy I go to told me that nowadays most car brands are using aluminium evaporator coils for aiding in quick cooling, but they rust very soon. I've had similar issues with my Samsung split AC at home because it had an Aluminium coil.
This is some useful information. Will dig further and see if we can do anything to improve this situation!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks