Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2022, 16:36   #376
Team-BHP Support

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parthdmaniar View Post
May I please request a brief on your system to capture and process the dataset? It would help nerdy diesel heads such as myself
What you need is an app to log all expenses. Then you can export any which way you want. Do look into this thread and see what works for you. There are many Apps available.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...er-tool-3.html (Car Expense Tracker Tool)

Once data is available it's more a question of how you want to analyse/visualize.
ampere is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 18:55   #377
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhana View Post
Great thread and wishes on the 1L milestone. tbh, your thread was one of the reasons that made me test drive a Compass and eventually buy one.
Thank you dhana!

Quote:
If I may ask, which app do you use to track your fuel refills?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Congrats on the 1L milestone Arun. Such a pleasure to go through your report.

Meanwhile I just crossed 10k. Hopefully the BS6 will give me just the same trouble free experience as the BS4 did for you.
Thanks Sujai!

Congratulations on your 10K milestone and wishing you many more trouble-free miles ahead.

I have not seen any major issues specific to BS6 so far. So, no worries there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huzi View Post
Hi Arun,
Congratulations on your 1L milestone.

More than this milestone, I really am fascinated by the way it was achieved- road trips, family trips, breakfast drives et all.

Looking forward to your updates on Scarlett, for years to come.

Regards

Huzefa
Thank you Huzefa!

Quote:
Hello arun_josie,

Congratulations on completing a happy and memorable 1,00,000 kilometres and inspiring many such as me through your journeys.

I have recently purchased a Jeep Compass (diesel manual, unfortunately, there is no 4x4 with manual transmission). It is our first family car .
Thank you parthdmaniar!

Wishing you a happy and trouble-free ownership with this beautiful machine.

Quote:
If I may ask, which app do you use to track your fuel refills?
Quote:

May I please request a brief on your system to capture and process the dataset? It would help nerdy diesel heads such as myself
As mentioned by ampere, there are many apps available, so you can try any of them.

In my case, I am just using plain old MS Excel to capture the data. I capture the trip data while refueling, I click a pic of the trip data from MID and fuel bill and enter it in excel whenever I get time. I also, keep a note of every 1K Km.

Apps are the easiest way to capture this data but I am still old school when it comes to aggregating data.
arun_josie is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:19   #378
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
What you need is an app to log all expenses. Then you can export any which way you want. Do look into this thread and see what works for you. There are many Apps available.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...er-tool-3.html (Car Expense Tracker Tool)

Once data is available it's more a question of how you want to analyse/visualize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
Thank you dhana!

As mentioned by ampere, there are many apps available, so you can try any of them.

In my case, I am just using plain old MS Excel to capture the data. I capture the trip data while refueling, I click a pic of the trip data from MID and fuel bill and enter it in excel whenever I get time. I also, keep a note of every 1K Km.

Apps are the easiest way to capture this data but I am still old school when it comes to aggregating data.
Thank you very much, both of you.

I want to automate this and hence thought of a sound system which should have interfaces to collect the data from (generally known as API - Application Programming Interface).

For tracking monetary expenses in India, RBI's account aggregators are a noteworthy approach, however; it is limited to institutions, meaning as an individual, while I can give an institution the right to collect my data, the data holder (bank, credit card issuer, etc.) would not be providing the data directly to me. Unfortunately, at times I've heard "security" as a concern. However, I can assure you that it is a laxity and offloading of responsibility. For example - banks offload the risk to the consumer by requiring them to sign the back of the card, which a thief "may" attempt to replicate. However, if cards did not have any signature - the attacker would not be able to find a sample to reproduce quickly - but in this case, banks would be liable for the misuse. This moves the requirement to the end user - meaning our phones. For example, one could scan SMS/E-Mails for payments made at the petrol pumps/garages - however, it requires a DB of known institutions to classify the information, which requires regular updates. I still need to figure out a scalable approach for this, although the sources look limited.

For tracking car telemetry, it is truly appaling how my Jeep Life application shows the data, but I cannot get access to it even if I am ready to bear the security of the data post transmission from Jeep. Not only did a member list an unauthenticated API that allows one to download a detailed part list for a Jeep, but there are notable instances of manufacturers disregarding security for our data. I reckon the best approach would be to extract the data from Jeep Life app.

I reckon I will take this up as a side project next year.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2022 at 19:49.
parthdmaniar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 19:51   #379
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I want to automate this and hence thought of a sound system which should have interfaces to collect the data from (generally known as API - Application Programming Interface).
Simplest approach here would be capture all data via a Mobile App and that which has the capability to export to a machine readable file format (like csv) to cloud. You can extract this and run any of your analytics to publish a dashboard.

I have been doing this for last 10+ years.

Last edited by ampere : 25th October 2022 at 21:37.
ampere is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 20:03   #380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Simplest approach here would be capture all data via a Mobile App and that which has the capability to export to a machine readable file format (like civ) to cloud. You can extract this and run any of your analytics to publish a dashboard.

I have been doing this for last 10+ years.
This sounds encouraging. Do you capture the data manually or through a collection of APIs?

I am working on a project that captures video and processes it for pothole identification on a Raspberry Pi that I plan to install in the car.

I will sincerely want to speak to you about your approach in private.
parthdmaniar is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 10:15   #381
BHPian

Re: 1,00,000 Kms Update

Quote:
It is a nice feeling to cross the 1L mark and I am happy that it has been a trouble-free ownership so far. Scarlett has been an excellent companion on the highway and a great handler of bad roads. I have had some of my most memorable drives in this machine.
Thank you, Arun, for the meticulously crafted log with your steed. Wishing you many more 100K runs on your fantastically maintained machine!

I am in the market for a new car, and have shortlisted the Compass Diesel MT as one of the options. Your ownership log is definitely a great source of information for potential buyers of this well put together machine.

Many thanks once again!
Wageabond is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 11:52   #382
BHPian

Congrats Arun, on achieving the milestone with no issues. Pictures are terrific, wish you many more happy miles ahead.
bullitt1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2022, 17:06   #383

Congrats Arun, amazed to see such beautiful clicks and have a wonderful ownership experience ahead
kartoosh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2022, 10:32   #384
BHPian

Congrats Arun on another 100,000. Wishing many more to come. Your updates are always a treat to read. You and the car compliment each other well!!!
Naetik30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th November 2022, 15:13   #385
Distinguished - BHPian

Service @ 1,01,884 Km (8th Service)

Service @ 1,01,884 Km (8th Service).

During the last one month I felt that the NVH was harsh while idling. It was fine when on the move though. So, I decided to get this service done earlier than the schedule, it was around 2K Kms earlier from the 15K Kms schedule.

As usual, I booked the appointment @PPS Motors (Electronic City) for this Service. This service center is so swamped these days that its difficult to get last minute appointments. I was not much worried as I didn’t have any planned immediate drives coming.

On the appointment date, I was at PPS by 8:45 AM. There was a slight delay to start the work on the car as they were inaugurating 3 new bays on that day to cater to the crowd more efficiently. Once this was done, the job card was entered, and they took Scarlett to the service bay.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1.jpg

Scheduled maintenance work done:

1. Engine Oil replacement
2. Oil filter replacement
3. Air filter replacement
4. AC filter replacement
5. Fuel filter replacement
6. A complete checkup

Oil being drained out and the fresh one being poured inside

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2.jpeg

Air filter was in a bad shape

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-3.jpg

Cabin filter

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4.jpg

Wear and tear parts replacement:

1. Front brake pads (First set was replaced at 51,205 Km and now Second set at 1,01,884 Km)

2. Front brake disc (Replaced this for the first time at 1,01,884 Km)

The rear brake pad and disc are good and yet to be replaced.

Brake pads were almost gone and maybe I could have pushed for another 1-2K Kms or little more.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5.jpg

The new disc, its only after seeing the new disc I could realize on how bad the old one was. The old one had uneven surface. I

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5a.jpg

Old Disc Vs the New one

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5b.jpeg

Wheel Lugnuts:

I got rid of this troublesome cap model lugnuts. It was becoming a pain every time the tyres need to be removed for wheel balancing. At least 2-3 used to get stuck. So, I got this replaced to the normal ones which is standard in the BS6 Compass. This cost me 2600/-

Here is the pic after fitting the new black wheel lugnuts. I prefer the one which matches the alloy colour but now they have this black one only.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-6.jpg

Dashboard Rattling Issue Fix:

This time I was able to replicate the rattling noise that was coming from the dashboard side. Most of the time it was coming while driving on the 2nd-3rd gear. They removed the defogger trim and pasted 3M tape behind it and fitted it back. After this I have driven around 50 Kms and this issue didn't occur anymore. Hope it stays this way.

Intermittent issue while turning on the Headlights:

Whenever I turn on the headlight, only one gets turned-on(either left or right). If I turn-off and then turn-on again by giving some force on the switch, both lights will get turned on. This issue was due to the relay and it required a replacement. Hence got this replaced under extended warranty and I am awaiting the approval.

The standard warranty ended unused except for the 2-3 wheel lugnuts which was replaced under warranty and now this is the first claim under extended warranty.

Humming noise from Steering(Intermittent):

I started noticing this recently, at sharp turns when the steering returns to the normal position, it returns with a very mild humming sound. I am not sure if this is an issue, or it is normal. I raised this concern with the technician, but I couldn't replicate this issue despite multiple attempts. So, I will have to monitor on this further.

Clutch and Suspension parts:

All good so far and there was no replacement of parts required.

Overall Bill:

The normal scheduled work costed 14,989 /-
Front Brake Pads and Brake Discs costed 16,172/-
Total Bill: 31,161 /-

After this service, the engine is smooth and NVH has come down. Going forward, if required I will get the service done every 10-12K Kms range.

Service Experience at PPS:

They did very good work and I have no complaints. I normally stay out of any extras apart from the standard scheduled work and I did the same this time as well. It is crowded these days and I hope that the 3 new service bays help to reduce the congestion. Also, the Citroen service will be moving to a different place in HAL.

Here is the pic of the bumper lip, despite numerous hits it is still intact

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20221125_101612.jpg

Fiat, Jeep and Citroen getting serviced, all in one frame

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-10.jpg

Wheel Alignment / Balancing @ Madhus:

There was a slight vibration on the steering at speed above 100-110. So, I got the WA/WB done at Madhus. They had to force match one of the wheels. As usual, they did a clean job and after this the vibration disappeared.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpg

Some random pics

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-8.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9.jpg

Last edited by Sheel : 28th November 2022 at 09:50. Reason: As requested.
arun_josie is online now   (79) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 10:15   #386
BHPian

Re: Service @ 1,01,884 Km (8th Service)

Quote:
Service @ 1,01,884 Km (8th Service).
Congrats Arun on achieving the milestone, the pics of your Compass does not reveal the milage it has covered, very well maintained. I was there on Wednesday for servicing and while casually talking to SA, mentioned about you/your car, i think you were there on Friday.
bullitt1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 19:26   #387
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullitt1 View Post
Congrats Arun on achieving the milestone, the pics of your Compass does not reveal the milage it has covered, very well maintained.
Thank You!

Quote:
I was there on Wednesday for servicing and while casually talking to SA, mentioned about you/your car, i think you were there on Friday.
Yes, I was there on Friday and SA told me that someone inquired about me 2-3 days back . He couldn't recollect the name though.

Last edited by arun_josie : 28th November 2022 at 19:36.
arun_josie is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th November 2022, 09:12   #388
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Air filter was in a bad shape

Attachment 2384085
15K is far too long an interval for the air filter - and quite probably also the engine oil. Stick to 10K intervals, or inspect and clean the air filter every 5k km (change at the 10k mark if you think it is in even far better shape than the one you showed in this post).

If you are able to buy air and ac filters in the open market keep them as spares and replace them when the filter is clogged badly, not "whenever service comes due, regardless of condition"
hserus is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th December 2022, 14:49   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

A drive to Mangalore to attend a wedding

A drive to Mangalore to attend a wedding. Any reason to get back on road!

It was a late start on a weekday, my friend accompanied me, and we started at 11:00 AM. The traffic was not too much except for the congestion on NICE road at the two diversions. We stopped for lunch at Murali Military Hotel on the highway near Nagatihalli. It’s on the right side though with the "U" turn 3Kms ahead. So, we parked on the left side and crossed the road. The service was quick, and the mutton chops was good here. We enjoyed the meal.

We resumed our journey after the lunch and took the Shiradi ghat road. The Hassan - Sakleshpur stretch is good except for the diversions. While crossing Sakleshpur, we got stuck in a 15 mins traffic jam. And then the road gets worse for 4-5 Kms before the cemented stretch on the ghat. We had to weave frequently to avoid potholes, thankfully the traffic was less.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-b1.jpeg

As usual the cemented section is perfectly fine. Once we get off the ghats, there are numerous diversions till Gundya. We reached Mangalore by 5:30 PM.

A visit to Mangalore without a stop at Pabbas is criminal. So, we headed to Pabbas for some ice cream. And then onto the wedding reception.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 642
Size:  40.5 KB

Stayed at our friend's place (bhpian speedsatya), it was a fantastic stay. Just before we started our return journey, I took the Jeep for a short climb on a mud hill near his place just for some fun.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4a.jpg

With the mighty Fortuner

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1.jpeg

During the return, we took the Charmadi road. This is the best option for now as the road is good all through till Belur. Belur - Hassan has some bad sections but nothing very bothersome. After a late lunch stop at Empire, we reached Bangalore by 6PM.

On the Charmadi ghat

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-whatsapp-image-20221207-10.15.03-pm1.jpeg

A random click

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2.jpeg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-3.jpeg

Overall trip details

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-trip.jpeg

ODO @ 103684 Km. And its 19 degrees in Bangalore at 2:00 PM :-)

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-odo.jpeg

Scarlett is dusty all around and needs a proper wash.

Rattling Issue:

The earlier dashboard issue is fixed. However, after this drive, I get a different vibration/rattling sound exactly around 1800-2000 RPM. This comes even when you stop and push the needle to 1800-2000 RPM. As of now it is mild and only I am able to pick this sound, so will monitor this for few more days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
15K is far too long an interval for the air filter - and quite probably also the engine oil. Stick to 10K intervals, or inspect and clean the air filter every 5k km (change at the 10k mark if you think it is in even far better shape than the one you showed in this post).

If you are able to buy air and ac filters in the open market keep them as spares and replace them when the filter is clogged badly, not "whenever service comes due, regardless of condition"
Yes, going forward I am thinking about 10K interval based on usage. I will stick to Jeep service center at least till the extended warranty gets over at 1.5L Kms / 5 years.
arun_josie is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 25th December 2022, 09:08   #390
Distinguished - BHPian

Merry Christmas Everyone!

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-whatsapp-image-20221225-9.02.28-am.jpeg
arun_josie is online now   (6) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks