Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th February 2020, 22:01   #106
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Pics from Shettihalli drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool_dube View Post
Thanks! When you say removed, you mean remove it completely without any replacement? How would the car look with that mod, I am curious!

Also, when you say "smaller" one, is it an OE replacement and does it make a significant difference?
The bumper lip can be replaced. You can check the difference in the below post,

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post4636535 (Jeep Compass : Official Review)

There is no option to get the bumper design changed for better approach angle. And the Trailhawk bumper doesn't fit here.
arun_josie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th February 2020, 22:48   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun_josie View Post
The bumper lip can be replaced. You can check the difference in the below post
Thanks! What's the rationale behind different bumper lip designs across variants of the same car?
cool_dube is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 09:24   #108
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks! What's the rationale behind different bumper lip designs across variants of the same car?
This is the redesigned one based on customer feedback and was introduced first in Limited Plus variant(last year), later all 2019 manufactured variants go this.
arun_josie is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2020, 12:46   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This is the redesigned one based on customer feedback and was introduced first in Limited Plus variant(last year), later all 2019 manufactured variants go this.
When you say "this", are you referring to the longer one or the shorter one?
Old 21st February 2020, 15:58   #110
BHPian

Quote:
When you say "this", are you referring to the longer one or the shorter one?
Shorter one sir , obviously.
Sandeep500 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th March 2020, 20:44   #111
Distinguished - BHPian

40,000 Kms Update

An update after close to a month.

ODO has crossed 40K silently and getting closer to 42K now.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img_20200314_191752286.jpg

A long drive with my dad and mom (Nagercoil to Chennai, close to 700 Kms):

My parents are in their 70s and I have never done a long drive with them. The max I have done is Nagercoil - Trivandrum and back(150 Kms in total). Anything beyond this, they prefer flight and that made more sense too. However recently my dad fell ill and we decided to get him treated in Chennai. Under normal circumstances, we either book a flight from Trivandrum or Tuticorin to Chennai. However with the Corona virus looming around, we decided not to take this option, especially as my dad was running slight temperature too. Idea of going in train was dropped too as my mom has mobility issues and can't navigate railway stations.

Only other option was via road. We were in a dilemma about the road travel considering the distance and the age and health conditions of my parents. Even when we started the drive, the option of flight from Tuticorin or Madurai was kept open. After 80Kms, I checked with my dad and he said its comfortable and no need of any change in plan. So, we continued our journey in car till Chennai.

Overall, we reached Chennai with 3 stops. One major stop in Trichy at my Dad's friends place for lunch and rest. This break was close to 1 hour and 30 mins. And to reach Chennai, it took little less than 12 hours.

My dad was awake all the way till Chennai and we had some nice conversation throughout. I don't think we both have spent so much time in each other's company in the last few years. They were are also impressed with the comfort level of the current gen cars when compared to the older ones. I am glad we did the drive.

Some pics during this drive,

It was very hot in Trichy, luckily we got some good shade to park

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img_20200313_145929735_hdr.jpg

During a tea stop at A2b.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img_20200313_175656269.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img_20200228_175052738_hdr.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-img20200307wa0115.jpg

Engine Oil Qty(4.2L Vs 4.5L Vs 4.8L)

Due to some reason, there is no specific standard followed by the service center guys.(Ex: PPS/MPS motors follows 4.2L and True Sai(Salem) follows 4.5L). There are some service centers who were refilling with 4.8L too. So, I contacted FCA directly and they updated me that 4.5L to 4.8L is good enough. They have communicated the same to PPS/MPS motors as well as they used to refill with 4.2L. So, going forward I will stick to 4.5L during normal servicing.

Last edited by arun_josie : 17th March 2020 at 20:48.
arun_josie is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 05:59   #112
BHPian

Re: 40,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Engine Oil Qty(4.2L Vs 4.5L Vs 4.8L)

Due to some reason, there is no specific standard followed by the service center guys.(Ex: PPS/MPS motors follows 4.2L and True Sai(Salem) follows 4.5L). There are some service centers who were refilling with 4.8L too. So, I contacted FCA directly and they updated me that 4.5L to 4.8L is good enough. They have communicated the same to PPS/MPS motors as well as they used to refill with 4.2L. So, going forward I will stick to 4.5L during normal servicing.
Thanks for the clarification. So have you topped up or still continuing with 4.2 liters last filled during service. It is not the service center guys but the FCA at fault because of wrong printing in owner manual. Secondly they should have updated by issuing circular to all service centers about the correct quantity to be filled. Even now they should issue the circular stating the exact quantity not mere guesses like 4.5 to 4.8 liters.
My thinking is because of this error in printing in manual even the petrol engine Compass is getting wrong quantity of oil for which they have stated 5 liters which is only 1400 cc engine. So while printing petrol and diesel figures might have got interchanged resulting in this confusion.
Sandeep500 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th March 2020, 06:58   #113
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 40,000 Kms Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Thanks for the clarification. So have you topped up or still continuing with 4.2 liters last filled during service.
I have topped it up with 400ml. Another 2K Kms for the 4th service.

Quote:
It is not the service center guys but the FCA at fault because of wrong printing in owner manual. Secondly they should have updated by issuing circular to all service centers about the correct quantity to be filled. Even now they should issue the circular stating the exact quantity not mere guesses like 4.5 to 4.8 liters.
Yes, they have agreed to send a notification to the service centers.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:16   #114
BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Sir, you topped up at service center or yourself with same grade oil. Any harmful effects of running engine with less oil or is it just a little less compression. Asking you because you go into minute details and must have got it clarified from FCA guys.
Old 18th March 2020, 07:31   #115
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Scarlett comes home - My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4. EDIT: 1 year & 42,186 kms up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandeep500 View Post
Sir, you topped up at service center or yourself with same grade oil. Any harmful effects of running engine with less oil or is it just a little less compression. Asking you because you go into minute details and must have got it clarified from FCA guys.
I got the top-up done at PPS motors with the same grade oil. Also, FCA confirmed that 4.2L is not going to harm any components. As per them, 4.2L is sufficient, but there were multiple complaints from customers that the oil level is shown less despite filling with 4.2L. This made some dealers to fill with 4.5L.

Whatever the reason maybe, there should be some standard number instead of dealers taking their own call. Hope they update all the service centers this time around.
Old 18th March 2020, 12:09   #116
Distinguished - BHPian

The owners manual should have the details with the engine oil quantity required with each type of refill like
  • Only Engine Oil Replacement
  • Engine Oil and Oil Filter Replacement
  • Engine oil, oil filter and sump replacement
  • Last a full engine overhaul.

If not the owner's manual, the service manual definitely will have this information. Dealers like True Sai have the bad habit of overfilling the engine oil, especially on the 1.3 MJD. Engine oil with oil filter needs 3.2 litres but they always filled 3.5 litres. So get hold of the right data and ensure the correct quantity goes in as per the required procedure.
nkrishnap is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2020, 20:30   #117
Distinguished - BHPian

Its 11 days now with not much movement on the ODO, it is stuck at 42186. Hoping for the situation to get better soon and we are out from the clutches of this COVID-19 epidemic.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-42186.jpg

"Stay Home Stay Safe" is the order of the day if one wants to "Live To Drive".

Dirty look, long time since the last wash. Waiting for the lock-down to be lifted.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-ltd.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post

If not the owner's manual, the service manual definitely will have this information.
Surprisingly the service/warranty manual doesn't have this information. I will check the owners manual.
arun_josie is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:54   #118
Distinguished - BHPian

1 year Ownership update

1 year Ownership update (ODO @ 42,186):

One year and 42,000 Kms of my ownership experience with my Jeep Compass has gone by in the blink of an eye. It has been a fun-filled journey so far and I thought of sharing some information and data captured during this period.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-20200214_130908.jpg

Service Experience:

Thankfully, no major issues so far and just the routine services at 5K Kms, 15K Kms and 30K Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-service-details.jpg

All these services were done at PPS/MPS motors and they have been reasonably good so far.

Initially, there were issues related to their Wheel Alignment equipment which resulted in tilted steering for a few Jeeps. They have now replaced the faulty equipment with a new one.

Front windscreen was replaced @ PPS/MPS motors which cracked due to a flying gravel impact during a highway dive. This was covered by insurance. They got the work done in a day’s time.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-windscreen.jpg

Minor rattling issues are there. Hoping to get them fixed during the next service. There is one specifically coming from the front door pad, probably something is loose inside.

Fuel Efficiency:

In my opinion, Compass returns reasonably good numbers if you are a sedate driver. But the catch here is that the engine is very responsive and has excellent handling on the highways that you end up pushing the engine for that driving pleasure.

So, based on the driving style, one can get in the range of 13 - 20 Kmpl on the highway.

Inside city, I get around 10 - 12Kmpl.

As a sedate driver, 21Kmpl on the Bangalore – Coimbatore highway.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-coimb.jpg

When I was a bit heavier on the pedal. 14.2Kmpl to Chennai. I have gotten FE below 14 too.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-chennai.jpg

Here is the FE graph, numbers are from Full tank – Full tank refills.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fe_mid_ft.jpg

This is based on the overall average FE number calculated after every refill. Currently this average stands at 13.8 Kmpl

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fe_avg.jpg

Fuel efficiency numbers and Fuel price details

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fe-numbers.jpg

Number of days taken to reach every 5000 Kms.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-kms.jpg

ODO Share – Highway Vs City Vs Mixed

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-odo.jpg

Average Distance/Day and Expense/Km in Rupees

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-usage-per-day.jpg

Where do I get the tank filled every time?

In Bangalore, I stick to a specific IOC / BPCL outlets near my home. It used to be just one specific BPCL outlet initially, but now for convenience sake, I use one other IOC outlet as well.

When on the highway, I prefer COCO. Mostly it’s BPCL COCO. In my home town, I go to a specific HPCL outlet. I have nothing against Shell or Reliance, just that I am used to others.

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-fuel-refills.jpg

Tyres:

I have to replace the tyres in another 5K Kms. This is going to be a challenge because sticking to the stock size means (225/60/R17), the options are Firestone, Yokohama, Pirelli only. No option in Michelin or Continental or other brands.

If Michelin, then Primacy SUV is the option which is 235/60/R17. Some people have moved to this size and they are happy with the performance. But this is an expensive option. A single tyre costs around 17-18K. I need to make a decision soon.

Other replacements to be monitored:
  • Battery, most of the jeep owners have replaced the battery within 2 years. So, I am monitoring this.
  • Brake Pads, will check this during the next service.
  • Suspension parts, looks fine as of now.
As mentioned earlier, my overall experience with this beast has been excellent. #touchwood Here is hoping for a trouble-free ownership in the years to come.

Last edited by arun_josie : 4th April 2020 at 19:00.
arun_josie is offline   (52) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 18:59   #119
Distinguished - BHPian

1 year Ownership update

Here are some memorable captures of Scarlett

On the delivery day with friends

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-delivery-pic3.jpg

In front of the iconic Taj

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-1.jpg

Highway cruiser

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-2.jpg

At my native terrain

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-3.jpg

Trip to FCA

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-4.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-5.png

After a wash

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-6.png

Beach babe

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-7a.jpg

Classic Scarlett

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-8.jpg

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-9.png

During a breakfast drive

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-10.jpg

Mangalore drive

Scarlett comes home | My Jeep Compass Limited (O) 4x4 | EDIT: 1,47,000 km up!-11.jpg

Last edited by arun_josie : 4th April 2020 at 19:13.
arun_josie is offline   (64) Thanks
Old 4th April 2020, 20:28   #120
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: 1 year Ownership update

Quote:
1 year Ownership update (ODO @ 42,186):
Wow! More than 42,000km in 1 year is just amazing. Congratulations and keep it up!

And what an amazing thread too. This thread is one of my all-time favorite threads, and your Scarlett is one of my favorite cars. And you have done great justice to this beautiful car through your highway drives and your brilliant photography. This thread is full of beautiful pictures, and the pictures here make me want to own a Red Compass just so that I could also go to such beautiful locales and hope to take such photos! Thank you for such a wonderful thread and keeping it updated throughout the year.

By the way, in the year of ownership, how often did you use 4x4? Was it ever really required? What would you be your "long term" experience about 4x4 on Compass?

Wish you many more thousands of happy miles on Scarlett, and looking forward to more such amazing pictures in this thread!
Dr.AD is offline   (12) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks