Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2019, 16:51   #1441
BHPian

Re: Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrk997 View Post
How much is this dent and scratches going to cost to fix in the official service centre?
If you get that fixed as service center, then it will cost you a lot. If you get it fixed outside from a well established garage, then 1/3rd the cost quoted by service center.

Once I had my vehicle hit by a auto, fender got a small dent and bumper lost its clips. Authorized service center charged me 15k for new bumper and paint work. New bumper for 6k, remaining amount for spray paint and labor. This is Mahindra I am talking about, Jeep will charge you a lot for sure.

You can always get a quotation from ASS and compare. Best of luck.
Old 11th August 2019, 18:23   #1442
Senior - BHPian

I am looking to upgrade by 9-year old Honda Jazz with a mid-size SUV. The shortlisted ones are the Creta, Seltos and Compass. I have ruled out the Hector and Harrier due to the size. I am in 2 minds whether to buy one now or wait for the new Creta, VW TCross and Skoda Kamiq in 2020. Anyways, since the Compass is the costliest of the lot, I think I will have a look to understand whether its worth the premium. I called the hyderabad Jeep dealership and asked for a TD and they sent the car within an hour on a Sunday which is really impressive but also goes to show the lack of footfalls in the showroom. I had a 35-40 min drive over terrible and good roads and came back thoroughly unimpressed. I am not suprised that the Compass is selling only 500 units a month. In fact, I am surprised that it sold such high numbers in the previous years. Anyways, here are my impressions.

Positives:
The car feels really well built, the doors closed with such a reassuring thud, the interiors also felt well screwed together.
The suspension is very very good. There is some firmness but its comfortable and takes bad roads with aplomb. Very matured suspension
I drove the diesel manual and it had very good pickup. I could hit 120 kmph in no time and the car felt absolutely rock solid at that speed
The braking was just phenomenal. On an empty stretch, I did brake hard from triple digit speeds and again the car felt so poised.

Negatives:
Once you enter the Compass, it just doesn't give the WOW feeling. I was driving the top-of-the-line LimitedPlus variant which costs more than 25L on-road and still it did not feel a special place to be. It just felt alright and does not feel any better than a 12-15L car.
The rear seat is a pretty bad place to be. The under-high support is poor, the window line is pretty high and the seat-back is upright. My wife was seated in the rear seat and she gave it a big thumbs down.
The space is very limited. I am not sure how the space has been utilized but it does not feel much spacious than my 3.9M Jazz.
The turning radius is huge, defeats the purpose of buying a compact SUV. It surely is more than the Honda City which I have driven a lot.
While the road insulation was good, the diesel engine refinement was not that great. There is always an audible diesel clatter and it sounds harsh once you rev it hard. Not a pleasing experience.
For the price, it misses out on key features like a TPMS, ventilated seats, HID lights only on top variant, etc.
The sales executive was pretty terrible and unpolished, considering the fact that you are trying to sell a 25L car.

Summary:
The Compass is a very niche car which will only appeal to driving enthusiasts or someone who is enamored by the Jeep brand. For normal masses like me, it neither has the value-for-money factor or the wow factor to command a premium.

Last edited by ajmat : 11th August 2019 at 21:40. Reason: typo
adimicra is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:04   #1443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Summary:
The Compass is a very niche car which will only appeal to driving enthusiasts or someone who is enamored by the Jeep brand. For normal masses like me, it neither has the value-for-money factor or the wow factor to command a premium.
I had the exact same experience this morning. I'm in the market for an automatic SUV since I changed jobs and need to hand over the company leased car. I have very little interest in the Seltos or the Hector. The Harrier doesn't have an auto. My wife and me drove down to the Jeep showroom on a whim this morning. The car is out of my budget but I'd read about discounts and hence the visit. The dealership had not a single customer at 12 in the afternoon on a Sunday. The two sales reps looked quite bored and only one showed any kind of interest. I specifically asked for the petrol Auto. After having a look at the car we decided to have a test drive. First impressions were exactly the same as yours on entering the vehicle. I couldn't believe they were asking 26 lakhs for it. Didn't seem any bigger than my existing cars. I decided to give them the benefit of doubt and thought that maybe the driving experience would change my perception. But it didn't do much for me. The petrol DCT felt sluggish off the line and only when you really stepped on it did it move. The downshifts were clunky compared to my VW GT. The suspension felt bouncier and a little unsettled compared to my wife's Duster. All in all it was an underwhelming experience. It's not worth the money. I'm a driving enthusiast but even I wouldn't put my money on it. They had a car in stock from 2018 which they offered with a 2 lakh discount. I'm sure I'll come down even further if I negotiate.
Jeep has really dug a hole for themselves. No offence to owners but I'm not sure what would entice someone to spend 26 lakhs on this. Yes it's premium alright but not a 8-10 lakh premium. In the current market the value proposition just isn't there.
yd_gli is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:31   #1444
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
I had the exact same experience this morning. I'm in the market for an automatic SUV since I changed jobs and need to hand over the company leased car. I have very little interest in the Seltos or the Hector. r if e.

Jeep has really dug a hole for themselves. No offence to owners but I'm not sure what would entice someone to spend 26 lakhs on this. Yes it's premium alright but not a 8-10 lakh premium. In the current market the value proposition just isn't there.

What vehicle would one then typically spend one's doubloons on, right now, if one had a 30 lac budget and were in need of an SUV?

The Kia's and MG's and Harriers and Tiguans and Kodiaqs and all are not really comparable (in my opinion) with the Jeep Compass, especially the Trailhawk. Speaking only in terms of overall capability and what one gets for what one pays.

Is there anything in the market right now that ticks all the boxes for everyone? Probably not and never will be.

Me?
I'll stick with what I've got at the moment and stay away from new purchases.
shankar.balan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th August 2019, 20:47   #1445
BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Quote:

Summary:

Your summary is spot on! The Compass would definitely appeal to driving enthusiasts which makes it a niche product in front of other mass market offerings. Also the value for money concept is quite subjective. The attributes in which you find value, I might not and vice-versa.
Would sign off by saying that Compass has replaced Yeti as a fun to drive compact SUV. So those who want excellent ride, handling, steering, braking in a SUV Compass is still the best bet. For others there are much better alternatives.

Last edited by Waspune : 11th August 2019 at 20:48.
Old 11th August 2019, 20:49   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
What vehicle would one then typically spend one's doubloons on, right now, if one had a 30 lac budget and were in need of an SUV?

The Kia's and MG's and Harriers and Tiguans and Kodiaqs and all are not really comparable (in my opinion) with the Jeep Compass, especially the Trailhawk. Speaking only in terms of overall capability and what one gets for what one pays.

Is there anything in the market right now that ticks all the boxes for everyone? Probably not and never will be.

Me?
I'll stick with what I've got at the moment and stay away from new purchases.
Fair enough! Your last statement answers your first question, at least for me.
The Trailhawk is a different class altogether and I wouldn't peg it with the other variants. The Kodiaq is a beautiful car and I don't think it competes with the compass in any case.
Anyways, if one is going to compromise then might as well compromise at a lower price point. I wouldn't want to spend 26lakhs and not be 100% sure of my choice. Again this is just my perspective. From someone who doesn't have mattress of money to sleep in.
yd_gli is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 00:31   #1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by di1in View Post
Could you please share photos of both these lips showing the size difference? Where did you buy the lip from?

I wasn't aware about the new shorter front lip (on Limited Plus) up until I read it here. Co-incidentally I spotted a JC Longitude some days back, supporting a smaller lip and clicked this picture (have also included another pic showing the original fitment). Hope this helps

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jc-new-lip.jpg

Jeep Compass : Official Review-jc-old-lip.jpg
Kols is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 04:29   #1448
Distinguished - BHPian

Jeep Compass : Official Review

Has anyone tried retrofitting the 7 inch touchscreen from the higher variants into a compass sport plus or longitude versions? The sport plus diesel without discounts looks very appealing however the only turn off is the tiny 5 inch screen that looks as though it is from two generations in the past. Can the 7 inch screen be obtained as a dealer installed accessory or just aftermarket?

I hope Jeep brings out a sport plus AT at a reasonable price point. This is the only way to offer a differentiated product in the market for a short window of time until Harrier AT gets here. Even then, the Jeep 9 speed ZF AT will be way superior to the Hyundai TC AT. Hector does not have a diesel AT, Harrier does not have it yet and Seltos Diesel AT will be way inferior in terms of power output, giving Jeep a good niche to play in for some time to come. I jut hope they price it reasonably, offer the smaller front lip to increase GC and not use the laughable 5 inch unit. The engine/transmission should be BS6 compliant since the combination has been developed and tested for the trail hawk. Jeep should bite the bullet and offer something like this for 20 lakhs on-road. They they will be in the game against Harrier, Hector and Seltos.

Last edited by 84.monsoon : 12th August 2019 at 04:35.
Old 12th August 2019, 10:08   #1449
Senior - BHPian

I think Jeep needs to sort out the positioning of the Compass immediately otherwise it will go into oblivion. I am leaving out the customers looking for a capable 4*4 as such customers are very very few and won't sustain the Compass.
Apart from the interiors which lack any sort of premium feel, I feel the lower and mid-variants are very very poorly equipped. Imagine asking for 20 Lakhs from the customer and providing 2-generation old 5" ICE or lack of projector headlights or even a parcel shelf!! I went through the TBHP review once again and though I mostly agree, I don't know how the review mentions the Compass pricing as justified. Anyways, less confusion for me as one option is ruled out. Will TD the Seltos once the initial hoopla dies down. Any dates for the VW TCross or the Skoda Kamiq? I initially heard late 2020 but now it seems 2021 Q1/Q2 which is too far probably to wait.
adimicra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2019, 19:00   #1450
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yd_gli View Post
Fair enough! Your last statement answers your first question, at least for me.

The Trailhawk is a different class altogether and I wouldn't peg it with the other variants. The Kodiaq is a beautiful car and I don't think it competes with the compass in any case.

Anyways, if one is going to compromise then might as well compromise at a lower price point. I wouldn't want to spend 26lakhs and not be 100% sure of my choice. Again this is just my perspective. From someone who doesn't have mattress of money to sleep in.

Yes I agree Sir.
Just one point - the Trailhawk at 34.35 lacs is more car than the others at similar prices, for a person who looks for function over form and glitzy gizmos.
Sadly most car manufacturers have succumbed to the gimmickry of gizmos and even more sadly, the mass-tige and prestige and luxe buyers are all flocking towards this trend.
And by heaven, the price tags of cars these days is verging on the ridiculously stratospheric.
Never a better time than now, to seriously consider the beauty of the lateral upgrade / purchase if at all one is in the market for a vehicle!
Else as many others out here are doing, just hang on to what you have, look after it well and save your money!
This way atleast one WILL attain the holy grail of 'mattress
full of money' if thats what one wants!
Old 13th August 2019, 09:57   #1451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I think Jeep needs to sort out the positioning of the Compass immediately otherwise it will go into oblivion. I am leaving out the customers looking for a capable 4*4 as such customers are very very few and won't sustain the Compass.
Apart from the interiors which lack any sort of premium feel, I feel the lower and mid-variants are very very poorly equipped. Imagine asking for 20 Lakhs from the customer and providing 2-generation old 5" ICE or lack of projector headlights or even a parcel shelf!! I went through the TBHP review once again and though I mostly agree, I don't know how the review mentions the Compass pricing as justified. Anyways, less confusion for me as one option is ruled out. Will TD the Seltos once the initial hoopla dies down. Any dates for the VW TCross or the Skoda Kamiq? I initially heard late 2020 but now it seems 2021 Q1/Q2 which is too far probably to wait.
Even if Jeep the Compass pricing I don’t think it will set the sales chart on fire like say the Creta or the Seltos. The segment is getting crowded and like in other segments there will be a couple of crowd pullers and then those smaller players who sell 500-1000 units per month. From a customer point of view, this is a good thing – wider options to choose from.
Old 13th August 2019, 10:36   #1452
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 84.monsoon View Post
Has anyone tried retrofitting the 7 inch touchscreen from the higher variants into a compass sport plus or longitude versions? The sport plus diesel without discounts looks very appealing however the only turn off is the tiny 5 inch screen that looks as though it is from two generations in the past. Can the 7 inch screen be obtained as a dealer installed accessory or just aftermarket?
Not exactly an answer you maybe looking for but I would recommend checking Pure Android Head Units that are available in the market. I went in for something called Foxfire for my Honda City and its a 10 inch Android Oreo based Head Unit with a 4G SIM Slot built-in.

Check my review here >> (Foxfire 10.1" 4G LTE Android Head-Unit upgrade in my Honda City)

Here is a Video of the unit for Jeep Compass from the same brand:
vsrivatsa is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 13th August 2019, 11:12   #1453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Even if Jeep the Compass pricing I don’t think it will set the sales chart on fire like say the Creta or the Seltos. The segment is getting crowded and like in other segments there will be a couple of crowd pullers and then those smaller players who sell 500-1000 units per month. From a customer point of view, this is a good thing – wider options to choose from.
Forget setting the charts on fire, given the sales trend over the last 6 months, I won't be surprised if huge discounts are offered to clear piling inventories. I really like the Compass and feel sorry for it - it is a good car and deserves a much larger customer base than it currently enjoys thanks to the ambitious pricing by FCA.

Last edited by cool_dube : 13th August 2019 at 11:40.
Old 20th August 2019, 13:26   #1454

Saying hello to all the Jeepers here.

I recently booked a compass after keeping it pending for long. I currently hold a booking for Seltos as well. It seems a urban practical car which would serve its purpose and hopefully won't burn a hole in my pockets but that's about it.

The fun or thrill of owning a Jeep I think is trumping that. I wanted the 4x4 variant just to explore if I have the off-roading quotient in me. Never done it before not sure if I will be comfortable plonking a car that cost so much to such road being a newbie and cost forced me to rethink this and ultimately booking a 2.0l 4x2 Limited Plus in Black color.
So I will list down what were the things that were holding me off from getting one earlier and then counter it with my arguments. Would love to know what the owners think of it
  • First is the price, with whatever Compass offers it is undoubtedly overpriced specially when we compare it with the newer launches which are loaded to the gills with all the bells and whistles.
    I loved the way it drove and the power just won me over (I am upgrading from a Grand i10) also the feeling it gave me sitting inside was amazing. So I don't think I can put a price on that. The dealer gave me discount on it further to help my decision (more detials below)
  • Second is the BS6 engine update that is just around the corner and maybe a few more stuff thrown in maybe like the ventilated seats or a better MID etc.
    These additions would come with some additional cost and based on what I read on other post here I don't think the resale value would be impacted so much.
  • Few niggles that I saw in reviews like the low GC due to the deflector. Is this really such an issue in daily drives?
  • The white interior would be a nightmare to maintain. Current owners how do you manage this? To add to these woes my choice of color is Black which again would be hard to maintain. To be fair the exterior color would be same for the Seltos as well so that doesn't count so much.
  • Mileage to me seems fine for diesel I hope to get ~12 in city conditions. Is it realistic?

Dealer experience:
I checked with Pride Jeep in Hyderabad they quoted 26,20,000/- OTR and were adamant that there is no discount on the limited plus model they can give some discount (~30,000) on lower models. Finally me after showing them online quotes for the insurance etc they matched that and gave the final offer of 25,40,000/- and that's it.
So I checked the Jeep showroom in Raipur (I live there) and the OTR there was 25,17,000/- without discounts further negotiating on it they gave a final offer of 24lac. He too said there isn't any cash offer on Limited plus from FCA but this was dealer matching the online insurance quote and further giving some discount. He informed me that the offer for this month from Jeep is bascially a low interest rate from Jeep. They partnered with Kotak Prime and were offering rate as low as 7.69% after discussion with the bank folks I got 8.2% which was still lesser than what HDFC was offering me at 9.1%. Dealer said that the difference in the interest amount would be around 70,000 which is paid by FCA and dealer in half (not too sure if that's the case). This all in all seemed like a good option.
I feel it won't be much of an issue in driving other state vehicle in Hyderabad.
goldsmit409 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th August 2019, 20:20   #1455
BHPian

For the Petrol AT users - what mileage are you getting on a Full tank to empty method. Is the Jeep giving 450 odd kms ?? Then its miles ahead of my Verna, albeit a smaller tank, returns around 250 odd kms in city driving conditions.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks