Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2020, 21:27   #31
BHPian

Re: 14 years & 1 lakh km with the 2nd-gen Honda City ZX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
Our car has done around 94,000 km on Bangalore roads and it will turn 12 in March.
Rs 60,000 was just an estimation because-
1. The car requires re-painting and bodywork since surface level rust and bubbles has started to appear at many places and the paint has lost its shine, this is more evident since our car is white in colour.
This partly our fault because we pressure washed the car using borewell water through all these years. Also the bumpers have developed several bad scratches and have slightly misaligned due to minor impacts by the bikers and rash taxi's.

2. Suspension rework needed. Each and every bump and undulation is felt in car now.

3.Ignition coil replacement- as the car jerks severely sometimes while accelerating in 2nd or 3rd gear or driving at lower speed in higher gear(not recommended I know).

4. Windshield will require a replacement because of too many scratches developed on surface and a very minor crack formed when a flying stone hit the car once.

5. All the rubber beadings have started cracking and have become hard.

6. Passenger side ORVM has become lose (though functional). Honda says replacing the whole unit is the only option.

7. In previous service Honda SA said that some bushes needed replacement in the transmission unit. Not very sure about the exact part name.

8.The steering wheel material has become very fragile. Will need to leather wrap it.

9. Also need to get some electrical work done because certain panel lights such as lights for AC knobs do not work (thanks to the scam service station Carnation who goofed up with the car big time by putting substandard parts and not balancing & aligning the wheels leading to premature balding of tyres)

Apart from all these things the car drives like a charm. Everytime I'm reminded there is no replacement for displacement and 4 cylinders smoothness cannot be matched by best of the 3 cylinders out there (I realize this better because I have an Eon which is has a 0.8l unit and has only 3 cylinders).
Apart from these issues the car is perfect mechanically.
Last year the AC had started giving trouble so got the AC overhauling done (now it chills lime anything).
Exide turned out to be a wrong choice of battery. It lasted only 2 years and even under replacement under warranty had to shell out 50% of the battery's cost.

As you mentioned above even my car's driver seatbelt doesn't retract on it's own and the driver side window is a gone case. Honda says replace the motor which costs 6k (the same was replaced under a global recall around 2011-12) and FNG says to replace the beading I'm confused.

You are right it does not make sense to sell the car now. Only thing that bothers me is the lack of ABS and Airbags. If given a choice I would like to go back to 2008 and push my dad for the vtec+ variant which had dual airbags and abs.
But this car is special for me since I learnt driving on this very car. My dad was generous enough to allow me to hone my driving skills on this car.

I'm uploading some recent pictures since you have asked for it
Hi Storm

My 2006 Honda City is also showing Rusts and Bubbles, Have you got your Car re-painted and if yes from where?
Old 8th April 2020, 22:10   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiransri_bng View Post
Hi Storm

My 2006 Honda City is also showing Rusts and Bubbles, Have you got your Car re-painted and if yes from where?
Hello sir, I consulted our very own Bhpian Mr. Krishna and after understanding that we don't intend to keep the car for more than 3 years, he suggested to get only the essential rust terminated and get the car an exterior detailing to get a fresh look. His suggestions made sense as it'll be a very time consuming and expensive affair to address each and every issue of an aging car. Therefore we have decided to not to get the car repainted completely. If need arises, only some panels may be repainted.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2020, 14:38   #33
BHPian

Hi Everyone,
I have a Honda City ZX, 1.5L petrol, Registered Jan. 2006 (Manufactured Nov. 2005). The car is in pretty decent condition except for minor scratches here and there and has a full service history record of being serviced at Ace Honda in New Delhi NCR at regular 5k intervals. The car is in great running condition and has done 1.90L Kms.
Because of the 15 year rule in Delhi NCR, I need to sell the car. Can anyone advise as to how much I should quote for the car. The car is currently 14.5 years old.
Look forward to your advise.
Timothy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2020, 09:22   #34
BHPian

A beautiful car to drive in.
This was the last of the well built Honda City's.
We still have a 2007 car that has driven Only 35k. Keeping it for as long as I can.
hkborah is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:00   #35
BHPian

Hello All

So, the old car keeps serving faithfully. The odometer stands at 105000 km currently and the age at 14.5 years.
The car keeps on getting body damages due to no fault of mine or the car itself.
Fortunately, the insurance takes care of anybody related work.
Recently A tree branch fell on the parked car breaking the windshield and putting a dent on the bonnet.
The same was promptly repaired.
In the last year, since I have shifted to Bangalore, a lot of bodywork has been done on the car. It has been entirely replacing the panel and paint. All has been carried out at Popular Automatch,HSR Layout. I would recommend the workshop if the work is being done via insurance.
The positive side is the car has got an overhaul from the front and rear. Looks brand new. However, the dented sides and scratched sides tell a different story.

Recently gave the car for its annual service to Wheels wisdom.This is the second time I have been using their service. They are very honest and a technical person spends an entire day only on your car. You also get tons of photos of what is happening with your car while sitting at home . The experience is just like you being with your car at the service station. However, you do pay a premium for that.

This time the following work were done on the car-

AC gas leaked- Refilled and checked for any leakage - 2065
Brake fluid replaced and brake system bleeding - 826
Spark plugs replaced - 8 numbers - 1947
Tyre puncture - 153
Rear left hand side Brake light bulb-2 nos - 189
Front left-hand side parking bulb - 177
Driver side rubber glass beading install - 354
Driver side rubber glass beading part-ordered from Boodmo- 868
Wheels of wisdom 6 monthly service charge- 2700
Wipers replaced - Bosch Eco - Ordered from Amazon - 309
Interior light bulb - LED replaced - Edge car Accessories - 450

Total-10408

The items in bold were carried out by me separately.
I find the charges on the higher side.

Now coming to my Query. I will be driving the car from Bengaluru to Dehradun on 14th January 2021.My Father ( 65 years old ) would be with me.I am a little vary of driving such an old car over a cross-country trip. The trip is necessary since I will be shifting to Delhi and will have to take the car along.
I had asked wheels wisdom to thoroughly check the car for any issues but all is fine as per the SA. As I have mentioned before, The car is on stock clutch, suspension and everything else.
Although the car is very reliable, there are frequent niggles which I think are normal due to the old age. Some of the recent ones are-
1. Headlight bulbs getting fused every 6 months
2 A tyre that looses air very slowly. And no one is able to detect the leak.
3 Grinding noise from a wheel cap I think-at speeds above 60kmph

I would like to be pro-active and change anything that is required before my trip. Since Wheels wisdom has not pointed out anything. Can you guys put in your thoughts.I have already gone through the trip on essentials for long drives and will be carrying everything recommended.
WanderinNomad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 11:40   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
Hello All

Now coming to my Query. I will be driving the car from Bengaluru to Dehradun on 14th January 2021.My Father ( 65 years old ) would be with me.I am a little vary of driving such an old car over a cross-country trip. The trip is necessary since I will be shifting to Delhi and will have to take the car along.
I had asked wheels wisdom to thoroughly check the car for any issues but all is fine as per the SA. As I have mentioned before, The car is on stock clutch, suspension and everything else.
Although the car is very reliable, there are frequent niggles which I think are normal due to the old age. Some of the recent ones are-
1. Headlight bulbs getting fused every 6 months
2 A tyre that looses air very slowly. And no one is able to detect the leak.
3 Grinding noise from a wheel cap I think-at speeds above 60kmph

I would like to be pro-active and change anything that is required before my trip. Since Wheels wisdom has not pointed out anything. Can you guys put in your thoughts.I have already gone through the trip on essentials for long drives and will be carrying everything recommended.
I suggest you focus on the car tyres. By tyre condition I not only mean the tread depth, but I also mean the age factor. If they are 5+ years old, please get a new set. Also request you to replace the tyre which loses air. Though the leak is not detectable, it is there and may become the very reason for an unsuspecting accident in future especially on highways.
Storm2.0 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th November 2020, 13:49   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm2.0 View Post
I suggest you focus on the car tyres. By tyre condition I not only mean the tread depth, but I also mean the age factor. If they are 5+ years old, please get a new set. Also request you to replace the tyre which loses air. Though the leak is not detectable, it is there and may become the very reason for an unsuspecting accident in future especially on highways.
The tyres are new both by age and number of kms. It is just that one of them is losing air very slowly but the workshops are not able to find any reason for the same.
Will find a solution for the same before the trip.

Worried about any other aspects which the service centre guys are not bothering to check and can lead me stranded on the highway during the journey with a senior citizen.

Last edited by aah78 : 6th December 2020 at 02:13. Reason: Spacing.
Old 4th February 2021, 22:22   #38
BHPian

The car continues to surprise me. I recently completed a cross-country solo drive with the car and covered approximately 2500km from Bengaluru to Dehradun.
Before the trip, I had got the car serviced in Bengaluru but there were no problems found. Although I was apprehensive about taking a 15-year-old car on such a trip, the car performed flawlessly.
I had carried the following spares with me for emergency purposes-
1 coolant
2 engine oil
3 brake oil
4 tire tube
5 oil filter
6 air filter
7 duct tape
8 Yellow paper for headlights
9 spare headlight bulbs
10 spare fuses

However, nothing was used.

The roads were fabulous, and I made an overnight stop at Nagpur, Jhansi, and Dehradun respectively.

This is a 15-year-old car, with 1.05 Lacs on the odometer, on stock everything except some wheel bearings, and never driven over 500 km at a stretch. I can just bow down in respects!

The car is at 1.08 Lacs on Odometer and is due for a renewal of registration this August. With the scrappage policy around the corner, I think that I have 5 years left to enjoy this wonderful machine.
Also, since a couple of CNG stations have just opened up in Dehradun, I am toying around with the idea of getting a good CNG kit fitted on the car.
WanderinNomad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2021, 22:42   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderinNomad View Post
The car continues to surprise me. I recently completed!

The car is at 1.08 Lacs on Odometer and is due for a renewal of registration this August. With the scrappage policy around the corner, I think that I have 5 years left to enjoy this wonderful machine.
Also, since a couple of CNG stations have just opened up in Dehradun, I am toying around with the idea of getting a good CNG kit fitted on the car.
Happy to see that your City is serving you well. Don't go for CNG as it might give rise to other issues and may also dull the performance. Remember this is an old car now. Let it live its remaining life in stock condition.
Storm2.0 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th February 2021, 18:44   #40
BHPian

Well, the rising petrol prices, as well as, recent opening of cng pumps in my city has made me go CNG with the car.

Very soon I will be going in for the following-

1 installing Mijo sequential kit from a government authorized center in Uttarakhand.

2 There is a shortage of 14kg cylinders and the only option is to buy a used hydrotested one. I do not want to fit a 12kg cylinder since it takes up more boot space in this car. Will be installing a new 12kg one and changing it to 14kg once it becomes available. The installer has agreed on this.

3 No RC endorsement since the government does not allow BS3 and BS6 cars to be retro-fitted on RC

4 The car will go for its re-registration in June. Will get the kit removed and re-installed for fitness test.

5 The CNG cost will be 34k which can be recovered in 12000 kms

6 Sadly, the fitter will cut 4 wires on injectors. I wanted coupler to coupler fitment but can't find one in Uttarakhand

7 Service schedules will be shortened to 7500km post CNG installation.

Let's see how this goes
Old 23rd July 2021, 23:28   #41
BHPian

Guys as mentioned in my previous posts, I recently installed sequential CNG kit in my Honda city zx 2006 model. However, I am feeling quite a lot of lag in performance. I wanted to install an advancer however my installer says that it is not compatible with this model. Has anyone installed an advancer in a CNG city zx.
Old 24th July 2021, 14:21   #42
Senior - BHPian

With no registered modification, the car insurance is not valid. Hence any insurance claims will be rejected.

Can you explain what an 'Advancer' is?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks