Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:43   #1
Senior - BHPian

My secret affair (Baleno LXI- 20k kms review)

Hey guys

Finally the bug called LAZINESS left me for good and here I am writing my 1st review on the beast I own, christened as BALENO from the stables of Suzuki.
Before even I start blowing my trumpet, HATS OFF to all the revered MOTORHEADS here at Team BHP who spend quality time of theirs on writing reviews. Trust me it isn’t an easy job and once again Kudos’.

Car: Maruti Suzuki Baleno – LXI
Dealership : RNS Motors(Yeshwanthpur)

Year of Manufacture: 2006 March
Color: Silky Silver
Current kms clocked : 15,000

My excite began after a trip to Kerala and driving a relative’s Baleno. I would simply call it an infatuation since I was more biased to the Accent VIVA then.Drove the car on quite a few occasions and I liked it.
For one last time I drove a colleague's VIVA and thumbs up. Told my colleague am in for this car.
Since I work in e-city and the distance to and fro is close to 60kms was on the lookout for a nice diesel car.I know it doesn’t make sense to go in for a diesel car for this distance, bottom line I dint want to spend on petrol and my company wasn’t providing fuel allowance(they do now ).

Affliction began after a family trip to Kerala.Was given the honor of driving my relatives Baleno from Kochi to Trivandrum. Good roads and what more do I need? Floor the pedal?? I did it an umpteen number of times and vrooooom.. The car really handled well,was very responsive and I loved every bit of it.

Got back to Bangalore, still contemplating!! VIVA or BALENO ? Went to Trident Hyundai and dint like the way the sales dude responded to my queries. Me and my colleague headed to RNS to check the Baleno. Drove her once again and I booked the car straight. Icing on the cake?? I got a whooping 72k discount on the car since my company had done a bulk buy from MUL and they had an offer for employees for the next 45 days.
I was one lucky soul .

Car was delivered on the date as promised by RNS.
Getting straight to my experience with the car and dealership after driving it for a year and clocking 15k kms.

Why a Baleno ?

1 - Peppy engine and the car handles really well.
2 - MUL one word. I mean to say the after sales service is absolutely great.
3 - Leg room for the drivers seat? Thumbs up. Am sure a 6 feet tall person can sit comfortably.
4 – Dash board looks nice and well designed.(This is my personal opinion).
5- FE , leaves a big question mark. I have been getting a good 13.5 in the city(Bangalore) with the AC on. I never floor the pedal though. Got 14 kmpl while in Kochi city with the AC on 100%. This is my personal experience and am sure there are better readings mentioned in the forum.
6 – Haven’t really got a chance to buy spares so cant comment on how expensive the spares are. But am sure spares will be available though the car has been phased out.
7 – 24 hours helpline and my personal experience with RNS has been a great one. They have never let me down.
8 – How can 1 forget the AC of the car.Cools the interiors really fast. Baleno owners can testify on this.

Could have been better.

1 - Better door trims,instead of those stale carpet types material.
2 - Dash should have had a digital meter.
3 - Give her some nice rubber instead of the puny 165 Bridgestone.
4 - Bumpers could have been better designed.

Absolute No No

Give her a nice set of tail lamps and am sure she would be the most appealing car in the segment.

Only flaw I found is with the gear shift from 4th to the 5th. Don’t know why , but never happens smooth as compared to the other gears. Anyone experienced the same prob?

All in all a nice car and value for money.Once again folks the above mentioned is based on my personal experience and opinion.She is my 2nd love and wouldn’t think twice if I have to spend on her.Heck I love her !!

I call this my secret affair is only because when I have that restless desire to spend on her,I lie to my near and dear ones to get outta house for the next couple of hours.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd March 2007 at 22:55.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:53   #2
Senior - BHPian

Nice crisp review..!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjstyles69 View Post
Only flaw I found is with the gear shift from 4th to the 5th. Don’t know why , but never happens smooth as compared to the other gears. Anyone experienced the same prob?
I experience a similar issue but in 2nd to 3rd gear shifts.....5th gear shift is smooth though....

OT: i think Mclaren's zen had a similar reg no as yours...

Last edited by kpzen : 3rd March 2007 at 22:57.
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:53   #3
Senior - BHPian

Another happy baleno owner . Nice review, nice pics and nice alloys
Old 3rd March 2007, 22:56   #4
Senior - BHPian

hey thanks folks.@Kpzen changed what you mentioned .Never used those tyres for long.
I think its his Baleno which has a number on the same lines.

Last edited by rjstyles69 : 3rd March 2007 at 22:57.
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:06   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Yup my baleno has almost the same number except for 1 digit .. Mine reads KA 04 MC 5107 and yours is 5197 ..
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:26   #6
BHPian

That was a wonderful review Rjstyles......

Quote:
Hey guys

yeah i also encounter this situation in my baleno....i get a not so smooth shift to 5th gear......at some worse situations i need to take it to neutral and then again to 5th.....
also do i face problems when i slot on to reverse gear......at times the gear doesn fall in to postion and makes strange sounds....this happens even when i do the shiftin more carefully....do anybody else felt any similar problems??
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:37   #7
Team-BHP Support

the gear shift to 5th is dodgy..
Old 3rd March 2007, 23:53   #8
Senior - BHPian

Thats a very nice review from another owner in love with the Maruti Baleno.
Old 4th March 2007, 00:16   #9
Team-BHP Support

Nice review RJ, but let me congratulate you first regarding the photograph. The first photograph is a winner. It is nice to see somebody else putting some effort in shooting a Baleno well. Rest of the photos are also good, but the first one is way ahead. Post the remaining snaps in atleast 640x480 if possible.
Old 4th March 2007, 00:56   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

rj,

What else can I say but that its soulfully written. My Swift is from RNS Ypur too and I testify with you that their A.S.S is exemplary.

Did you use my name to get a corporate discount? So long as you didnt use the 5107 owner's. Else you'd have got a Baleno that does the jiggy-with-it on its roof and mismatched tyres.
Old 4th March 2007, 02:06   #11
Senior - BHPian

Thanks guys.
Quote:
also do i face problems when i slot on to reverse gear......at times the gear doesn fall in to postion and makes strange sounds....this happens even when i do the shiftin more carefully....do anybody else felt any similar problems??
@hari_rama,faced a similar problem.The gear sometimeswouldn't easily fall into reverse.But this happens like once in a while.Have already spoken to the service station guys and since my car is due for the 15k service, they have promised a thorough check up.
2 big scratches needs immediate attention.Will be doing some tinkering work also.Thanks to the brats in my area.

Quote:
Post the remaining snaps in atleast 640x480 if possible.
@samurai here you go..

Quote:
Did you use my name to get a corporate discount? So long as you didnt use the 5107 owner's. Else you'd have got a Baleno that does the jiggy-with-it on its roof and mismatched tyres.
Use your name? as in theFAG ? LOL just kidding mate.
mclaren1885 , are you reading that??
Old 4th March 2007, 08:49   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post

TheFAG .. Thats it .. This time your car goes in for service , i shall personally make sure that it will be on its roof .. The only thing you can do with the tyres is roll it with your hands.. Dont you say you werent warned ..

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 4th March 2007 at 08:51.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

The remaining photos are also pretty good as I suspected. Now go ahead and create your BHP garage, can't believe you haven't done it so far.
Old 4th March 2007, 11:40   #14

hi folks, am another happy Baleno owner...and yes have this similar dodgy gear shift to overdrive issue too! tis heartening to know its generic...but wow what a car on the highway...real super acceleration and handling! cheers to suzuki's powertrain designers!
Old 4th March 2007, 13:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I call this my secret affair is only because when I have that restless desire to spend on her,I lie to my near and dear ones to get outta house for the next couple of hours.
Nice Review and good photography..
We will give you another reason..Team-BHP meet today @ 8:00
Contact MCL or me.. will PM you the number

Godfather

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks