Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2007, 18:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

I have also driven an Aveo three times in Feb 07, and my overall experience:
1. Definitely looks very good from most angles.
2. Interiors (decent but plastics can be thicker-Corsa has black but better plastics).
3. Gearshift: no issues since done that on Corsa for 3 yrs.
4. Acceleration: Not a problem in city.
5 Ride and Overall View: very good
Then why did I not buy it or consider it seriously: no automatic. But lookwise, it is very tempting, and I have had no serious problems with Corsa/GM upto now.
Old 20th May 2007, 18:17   #17
Senior - BHPian

i never knew aveo comes with airbags!? ?? i thought it comes only with aBS, and not airbags.
Old 20th May 2007, 21:57   #18
Distinguished - BHPian

Good objective review. Chevys in India do their job well without much complaint. If only their pricing could compare to the Tatas/Marutis would they have some more of their hands full
Old 21st May 2007, 10:02   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theMAG View Post
Good objective review. Chevys in India do their job well without much complaint. If only their pricing could compare to the Tatas/Marutis would they have some more of their hands full
Yes, if you just compare their offerings with the competitors, they should definitely sell more. But the negatives are there, and they have less to do with the cars they offer. As a largely satisfied Corsa owner Since Sep 03, in my opinion they have been hampered by:
1. somewhat diminishing image of GM worldwide.
2. the tag of `American' as compared with `Jap' (remember they are usually competing with Maruti, Honda, Toyota for their segment offerings).
3. problems with initial Astra/Corsa which had a high `German' reliability rep. but were perhaps rejects/out of production elsewhere.
4. their `low' FE.
5. inconsistency in quality (most cars last long enough, but some give nightmares). I guess even Maruti also has the same problem, but people have more trust in Maruti, and willing to give them a chance. But trust can wane, and difficult to regain (I know for sure that Maruti is not for me not in the future, unless I am hard pressed).
6. inconsistency in dealer service (I know from personal experience that a little unofficial monetary gifts have a very high payback).
7. Gearshift is not smooth, but ride/comfort is good to excellent, which compensates. In both Corsa, Optra, and Aveo (which I have driven), ride and smoothness improves with speed. The feeling of safety and control is there at high speeds of around 100 kmph.

OK, their cars have been around for a long elsewehere before being launched in India, but can you not say the same about MUL.
Old 21st May 2007, 10:55   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekSrik View Post
i never knew aveo comes with airbags!? ?? i thought it comes only with aBS, and not airbags.
the option pack in the 1.6LT includes abs and airbags
Old 24th July 2007, 00:29   #21
BHPian

Guys If you have the money for a Civic, will you buy a Civic or Aveo? Please help because I like both of them.

Last edited by Zappo : 24th July 2007 at 01:27. Reason: SMS lingo, Unnecessary capitalization of words... member being issued a final warning on this. Please improve your posting habits.
Old 25th July 2007, 14:51   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by merains View Post
Guys If you have the money for a Civic, will you buy a Civic or Aveo? Please help because I like both of them.
You are comparing mountain to a mole Do I need to say anything more to help you decide?
Old 25th July 2007, 15:10   #23
BHPian

Updated at 10000 KMs

Hi All,

My Aveo is just nearing 10K mark, that reminds me of the third & last free service due for my vehicle.

So far, there are no complaints, no major issues. I feel more comfortable with the car now. Last week, had to drive in heavy rains & through flooded parts of Bangalore. Aveo did the job tremondously well. I never felt uncomfortable as I used to feel in my Zen earlier. Even though it was heavy downpour & wiper was operating in 2 or 3rd speed, I had a very clear view (front, back & also through ORV mirror).

I have a question now. My third service is due in a month's time. Around the same time (Aug 15th), we are all planning for a long drive & I will be covering around 600 to 800 KMs during that time. I am wondering if I have to get the service done "after" the long drive OR should it be "before"? Can you please suggest?

After the long drive, I think my car would have crossed around 10.5K mark. Since I had my last service in Februray, is it wise to get the service done before the trip?
Old 25th July 2007, 16:15   #24
Team-BHP Support

Get it done before the long drive. Its better to get it serviced around 9500kms than at 10500 etc.,
Old 26th July 2007, 14:25   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian View Post
You are comparing mountain to a mole Do I need to say anything more to help you decide?
indian ,i really mean it because the interiors of aveo are fantastic and it does give lot features (the top version).the only thing which is holding me back is reliability of GM and HONDA plus civic is also a little more nice and me being a defence officer getting it 2 lakhs cheaper OTR.so i decided for civic, but nevertheless Aveo too is a head turner .
Old 26th July 2007, 19:04   #26
BHPian

Quote:
indian ,i really mean it because the interiors of aveo are fantastic and it does give lot features (the top version).the only thing which is holding me back is reliability of GM and HONDA plus civic is also a little more nice and me being a defence officer getting it 2 lakhs cheaper OTR.so i decided for civic, but nevertheless Aveo too is a head turner .
Hi Merains,

Well, may be interiors are good & car is good looking. But w.r.t engine, performance, comfort etc, we cannot compare "D" segment car with "C" segment. If I had money, I would have gone for Civic anyday

But, if you like Aveo & satisfied with the performance & want to save few lakhs, go for Aveo. Its a nice car & I can vouch for that, having driven for about 9,500 KMs.
Old 26th July 2007, 21:07   #27
BHPian

indian , me too is pulling a bit more out of my budget of 7 lakhs, but in hope of next pay commission (wishful thinking?) which is due for central govt employees like me(defence comes under central govt) next year, i took this step of deciding on CIVIC(taken some loan too), other wise AVEO was our choice above Verna,NHC,Fiesta,Indigo XL grand,SX4,Innova,renault. have TD all these.presently i have a maruti 800 1999 model ,so graduating from there to civic is a life time buy for me.But i think its worth the THING i am getting,dont you think so?
Old 27th July 2007, 16:28   #28
BHPian

Quote:
indian , me too is pulling a bit more out of my budget of 7 lakhs, but in hope of next pay commission (wishful thinking?) which is due for central govt employees like me(defence comes under central govt) next year, i took this step of deciding on CIVIC(taken some loan too), other wise AVEO was our choice above Verna,NHC,Fiesta,Indigo XL grand,SX4,Innova,renault. have TD all these.presently i have a maruti 800 1999 model ,so graduating from there to civic is a life time buy for me.But i think its worth the THING i am getting,dont you think so?
If you are getting Civic under 10L, it is anyday VFM !!! Just go for it & as you said, next pay-commission will take care of the extra you are spending now Enjoy & let us know your final decision.
Old 12th August 2007, 14:04   #29
BHPian

9700 KMs - 3rd Sevice

Hi All,

Just now got 3rd service done for my Aveo. I had the following problems after running the car for about 9700 KMs:

1. Wiper tip had broken/misaligned. Guess this was due to the car cleaner not careful in handling the wiper while cleaning.

2. Cranking sound from the driver seat when it goes over road humps.

3. Rubber mat had wornout exactly at the place where the clutch is there. All other mats, all other places it was good. Blame it on Bangalore traffic or blame it on my driving style or blame on my shoes or blame on the rubber mat. Anyway, it had to be replaced.

Apart from the above 3 issues, no other complanits, no other problem with the car in last 1 year.

I had asked for pick-up & drop of my vehicle to service station & back. They were very prompt enough to come to our place by 9 AM & took it for servicing. Car was back in the evening. All these nigging issues were fixed. I thought they would replace the wipers, but they said the wiper is still fine & no need to replace for now. Does anyone know, if these wipers also come under "warranty"? Was thiniking if these service guys were trying to postpone the wiper replacement because of "warranty"? Any idea?

There is no noise coming from the seat anymore & also I got the new mats (transparent ones) for about 800 Rs.

Other than the mats, the pick-up charges were 100 Rs (reduced from earlier 150 Rs).

So far in last one year, for the first 3 services, I've paid around 750 Rs from my pocket (pickup charges + others) all put together, except for mats.

I am all set for a long drive during next week & will keep updating this thread with any other issues/problems/goodies of Aveo.

Indian
Old 12th August 2007, 17:22   #30
Senior - BHPian

Thats good impression, I have feel GM india has improved very much now. Its now in people hands buying their good lineup.

I wish they launch Tavera with some kind of facelift which should give good compitetion to Innova/Scorpio/Safari.

Regards,

Ravi.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks