Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 23:08   #31
BHPian

41k in a Swift Vxi

Hi Ported, Nice to read your thorough review on the Swift.

Well, I have a 41k reading on my odo right now, and I have had a fabulous run so far.. Pecuniary concerns having deprived me of a tyre upgrade, am still on the OE ones, which is probably not very safe considering the inordinately high number of Pune-Goa trips i undertake.

But for all those who wish to opt for a Swift, I'll say even after 41k kms, there is no better car in this class..

I've enjoyed FE of around 12.5 kpl (extrapremium) throughout, and I don't remember having driven without my AC on. Small niggles have started in terms of rattling noises and the fan-belt screech mentioned here, also the light bulbs seem to be going off one after the other at an alarming rate - don't know why. And, retrospective falsification notwithstanding, the pick up seems to be just a little bit sluggish now, with wheelspins getting that much tougher to execute.. But it's been a fun ride so far, and I hope it continues for all of us.. Happy Driving!!
Old 2nd July 2009, 23:45   #32
Senior - BHPian

It's that time of the year again! Though it had been less than 5000 kms since the last oil change, I was going to the workshop for a different issue, so considered getting the oil changed anyway. Since I was going to be travelling 25 kms across town for this.

At 19484 kms:

Oil: 765.60
Filter: 70.22
Oil plug washer: 3.49
Wheel balancing: Weights: 222.20 Labour: 425
Oil change labour: 151
Washing: 450

Total inclusive of taxes: 2326.

My primary reason for the workshop visit was because I had a feeling that the front wheel bearing was kaput. There is a droning noise I can hear, but nobody at the workshop could hear. So no change. Neither could they hear any rattling in the car, or the clatter in the suspension. Must be the water in that part of town today. I have to say, I did come away little disappointed today. Workshop was Vitesse, Prabhadevi.
Old 3rd July 2009, 00:05   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by porty
Wheel balancing: Weights: 222.20 Labour: 425
Holy smokes!
What weights are these? Regular lead or titanium?
and why do they charge labour for balancing?

Last edited by nitrous : 3rd July 2009 at 00:09.
Old 3rd July 2009, 23:09   #34
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
Holy smokes!
What weights are these? Regular lead or titanium?
and why do they charge labour for balancing?
Isn't the average Rs.1-1.5 per gm? They always charge Rs. 44.44/wheel for some reason and not per gm.

They charge labour because everywhere else they give you regular lead weights, here they are made of unobtanium. Also, to carry a wheel 10 feet to the balancing station and back is definitely worth 85 bucks. MSIL doesn't regulate these prices, do they?

I would really wish that they start using those sticker weights.
Old 23rd December 2009, 19:53   #35
Senior - BHPian

Took her in for the end of 3rd year service yesterday. Nothing special, regular paid service, and changed spark plugs.

Bill details:
Parts:
Various clips - Rs. 25.29
Rear bulb - Rs. 48.49
Inside RVM - Rs. 486.22
Spark plugs - Rs. 213.96
Consumables - Rs. 150

Labour:
Paid service - Rs. 760
Inside RVM - Rs. 45
Brake bulb - Rs. 30
3M interior cleaning - Rs. 1150

Total (incl. taxes) - Rs.. 3229.

As the bill mentions, I got 3M interior cleaning done at the workshop itself. It's a good job, they got to some real nooks and crannies, which my neighbourhood job didn't. Reasonably priced too.

Car feels a little sluggish though. I have a feeling the plugs may not be gapped properly. Will open and check over the weekend. Car definitely feels tight though, especially the suspension.

My ignition key barrel needs to be replaced again. It has been replaced once before under warranty. The cockpit light keeps lighting up whenever the car goes over a bump. I hate to get OEM stuff replaced.

In another 3000 kms or so, time to get the oil changed. And probably the fuel filter too. Oh and the air filter. I have been unable to keep a service under 2k. Even if I take it every 6 months.

I'd rate Vitesse, Prabhadevi pretty highly after this trip too. They have now started putting plastic covers over the seats as soon as the vehicle enters the workshop. Good touch in my opinion. Also lead times till someone interacts with you is very short. And it's always reassuring to see the VP on the shop floor every time.
Old 28th April 2010, 22:57   #36
Senior - BHPian

So my LHS Philips Xtreme Power bulb conked, in less than a year. Bought a pair in June 2009. And though it may seem like a whole 10 months or so, it maybe worthwhile to note that the car has been driven only about 3500 kms or so. So I am definitely not buying another set again.

Wasn't a plug and play kit available for conversion to 100/90 W setup? I would hate to slice wires. Can somebody guide me to a dealer in Mumbai? I have looked over Opera House and couldn't find one.

The injectors seem like they need cleaning. Maybe the fuel filter also. A very slight out of rhythm beat in the 4th cylinder especially. Plug for no.4 came out slightly rich. Ought to check fuel filter too.

Off late, I have been using STP fuel injector cleaner in a bid to try and unclog my injectors without physically removing them. I have had this slight jerk issue under load at really low rpms, like coming off a speed breaker in my apartment complex. After STP, it's gone. Also, throttle response seems slightly better. It's not a placebo. The effect wears off once, fuel is consumed. Though it doesn't seem to be doing any injector cleaning, it's had some positive side effects. Probably only brings about a change in the octane number of fuel.

I took the plugs out to check after the first time I used STP and they looked alright. Unlike in my friend's car that used System-G, plug showed up some oily residue.

I'd like to know if anybody has had similar response with STP. It's now made in India by some Anand group company and sells for 175 bucks or so for 250 ml bottle. 50 ml treats 10 lts. as per the bottle.
Old 24th July 2010, 13:06   #37
Senior - BHPian

4 years passed by in a flash! Since, I wasn't going to be able to look after the car for a coupla years, I went a little overboard with the TLC. I premeditated certain service schedules, and ended up spending quite a packet, but turned out to be totally worth it.

4 years, 23961 kms.

For the anoraks:

PARTS:
Oil, Oil filter and drain plug gasket: Rs. 890
Air Fliter: Rs. 169
Fuel Filter: Rs. 254
Brake fluid: Rs. 267
Mudflap set: Rs. 235
Consumables: Rs. 180 (!!)
AC Gas R-134A: Rs. 763
Rubber sealing (For rust proofing): Rs. 945
WD 40 Spray : Rs. 195
Injector Solvent (used for injector cleaning): Rs. 550
Some clips: Rs. 21.36
Some pad: Rs. 60
Ignition Lock set : Rs. 1630 Replaced under warranty

LABOUR:
Paid service: Rs. 840
Mud flap fitting : Rs. 75
Front Door & Window Servicing : Rs. 520
Rear Door & Window Servicing: Rs. 520
AC Servicing: Rs. 2124
Underbody rust proofing : Rs. 1415
Throttle Body Cleaning: Rs. 346
Fuel Injector Cleaning: Rs. 550
Brake bleeding: Rs. 320
Steering damper adjustment: Rs. 450
Warranty lock set replacement: Rs. 0

Grand Total: Rs. 13,040 including Rs. 1309 to the government kitty.

Why did it cost so much? Majorly because of quite a few extras, namely, AC servicing, anti rust treatment (didn't have a say in this), injector cleaning, door & window service and fuel filter.

I got the AC serviced since I had an issue with damp smell on operating blower/AC, and somewhat decreased cooling. The serviced made a big impact, cools awesome even on setting 1 and no damp smell. Includes changing of the gas as well as compressor oil. Cost roughly Rs. 2900

My window assembly had started to squeak with the incessant rains, and my doors rattled enough to drown the stereo. Every time I would shut the doors, I would look around to see if it had shed a part. I was assured by the SA, that the door service would take care of all of that. The windows now groan less, and the doors rattle even lesser. The door closing thud is slightly more reassuring, but I doubt it will last too long on the monsoon ridden roads. Cost a total of roughly Rs. 1200.

My single biggest gripe was certain low rpm jerking and loss of the bottom end torque. I decided to change the fuel filter alongwith injector cleaning, although recommended only at 40,000 kms. Alongwith the new air filter and throttle body cleaning, it was the single biggest performance gain for the vehicle. All the lost bottom end torque is back, and the engine revs very cleanly throughout. Vibrations off idle have been reduced considerably, though maybe the plugs need to be gapped properly. Total cost, roughly Rs. 1600.

The car also experienced steering rattle and vibrations over certain bumps, sometimes unnerving. I was suggested, tightening of the steering damper would resolve the problem, but would also require more steeing effort. Post the procedure, at unassisted higher speeds the steering seems heavier, but I am not complaining, as it feels great. Under power assisted conditions, effect is negligible.

My ignition lock gave me trouble for the second time in the warranty period. Under normal working conditions, it switches on the cabin light everytime I take the key out. In my car, it would switch it on everytime I would hit a bump, or not. Sometimes it would blink, and sometimes it wouldn't come on at all. They replaced the bit that controls the light under warranty. However, I was told that out of warranty, I would be required to change all locks and key to cure the problem. I'm not too happy about that, considering I have had to replace the same part twice in 4 years. And now that my warranty has all but run out.

Prices have been revised upwards significantly, especially labour. What cost me Rs. 760 for a paid service sometime back, is now Rs. 840. Excluding taxes.

Anyway, this car is a keeper now. We were mulling possible replacement of the vehicle with something fresher, but this makes max economic sense. Seeing how much we have spent maintaining it, and the ultra low mileage and that the EMIs have run out, this probably time to make the max out of the car. Next on the cards, is some painiting work, to undo the vandalism. However, in the current state, I feel more invincible on the roads.

The workshop was Vitesse, Prabhadevi and still remains every bit as recommended. They make the trip across town worth it.
End of report.

Last edited by ported_head : 24th July 2010 at 13:10.
Old 9th August 2010, 23:49   #38
BHPian

Hi Ported Head,
Thats a neat review you've given.

I see that you had to visit the SS a lot of times only for small niggles. Wasnt the frustrating ? Maruti Quality issues, I may say... :(

Even I am on a hunt for a new car. I considered used as well but my family is definitely not in support for it. The battle is between VXi K-Series (ABS) and Figo Titanium(Petrol).

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks