Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th July 2021, 14:35   #16
BHPian

Re: Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar

Very apt thread. I will let the pics do the talking.
Here is my 2010 Fortuner.
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-img20210608wa0023.jpg  

Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-img20210608wa0022.jpg  

Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-img20210608wa0021.jpg  

Heart_Revs is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 14:40   #17

Great review! I too at many times have faced the same brake issue while driving my family's 2014 Fortuner. Being a new driver, I thought it had something to do with my driving style.
Attaching a photo of the car here.
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-img_20201025_150943856_hdr3.jpg
Claws is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 16:11   #18
Senior - BHPian

Why is that the Fortuner refuses to age? Most of the old Fortuner's on road have good to excellent bodyline, color that hasn't faded much , engine that doesn't sound gruff even after abuse. Always reminds me of Anil Kapoor.
PrideRed is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 19:16   #19
Senior - BHPian

When there are big 3’s, few Korean and Indian companies are giving lemons every now & then, Toyota takes their product reliability and durability very seriously. Coming to that, I can’t recall any serious engine failures on Toyota products or lemons offered or experienced in the initial days of ownership, right? I hardly can recall seeing a thread or might’ve not registered much about threads against Toyota mostly? Nevertheless I’m sure the percentage would be bare minimal on the forum too.

Toyota should give some lessons to other companies on durability and reliability subject

All their studs - Innova, Fortuner are all mile crunching machines!

Last edited by gururajrv : 7th July 2021 at 19:32.
gururajrv is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th July 2021, 19:56   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
- My Fortuner is at 89000km in 7 years

- I have seen a lot of Fortuner’s with the driver’s seat worn out or torn

- Fortuner in 2012 the dashboard, steering and doors had a lighter grey and beige combo, 2014 onwards it became dark grey
Thank You, @CEF_Beasts, for the tip on the 2012 vs 2014 Fortuners. Most used Toyotas will come with the edge of the leather seats chuffed or torn, silver finish on the steering wheel partly gone, and the steering leather also partly chuffed or torn - this is only due to careless handling by the drivers, who are generally in rough denims, and hold the steering awkwardly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrideRed View Post
With facelift desirability quotient shot up 100 times
Absolutely, @PrideRed. The 2012 Fortuner changed the looks of the brute totally.

Quote:
Why is that the Fortuner refuses to age? Most of the old Fortuner's on road have good to excellent bodyline, color that hasn't faded much , engine that doesn't sound gruff even after abuse
I think this is to do with the way the cars have been built, kept, and the car's inborn never-say-die trait. Toyotas body is corrosion proof, quality of components (eg. handles, rubber parts, chrome parts) are all built to last.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnS_12 View Post
Qualis, Innova and Fortuner have become a household name
True, @SnS_12. The name is here to stay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
This is mine. Col.Hathi. 1.6L km
Wow, @Ice. That Fortuner looks so good even now, and the windscreen looks stock too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mugen_pinaki27 View Post
the sheer road presence of this car turns my head every time
True that, @mugen_pinaki. I've always given way to a 2012-16 Fortuner when I see one in my ORVM. The grille is so menacing. Two other cars that qualify here for imposing fronts are the Endeavour and even the Kia Seltos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_Revs View Post
Here is my 2010 Fortuner.
Nice pics, @Heart_Revs. How many kms has she done?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claws View Post
many times have faced the same brake issue while driving my family's 2014 Fortuner
Thank You, @Claws. The car looks monstrous with that grille. Yes, with every product comes a shortcoming. Here it's the brakes, second row, and bumpy ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Toyota should give some lessons to other companies on durability and reliability subject
@gururajrv, Nobody's interested in emulating Toyota. Engineered to cost and making buyers lose sleep is the mantra of most manufacturers today. Even Toyotas today are a pale shadow of the yesteryears' Toyotas. Then why talk of mortals?
vigsom is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 10:29   #21
BHPian

Absolutely agree. I own two cars, and fortune was mostly used for outings, but since the lockdown, it's been driven a lot more and truly enjoyed it. In last year I have driven it closer to 20K, with a north-south trip. Here is my 2015 Fortuner. The picture was taken at the Bengaluru landmark Vidhan Soudha last night.
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-img_3228.jpg  

abtyagi is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 15:32   #22
BHPian

I have never sat or drove in Fortuner but definitely looks very handsome and impressive. Looks closely related to my LX
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-20210516_161005.jpg  

NullRock is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 20:46   #23
BHPian

Hello Vigsom,

Great thread, Thanks for sharing.

I am thinking of getting a pre-owned Fortuner. Mostly 2012 - 2016 Fortuner AT. Availability is descent here in Bangalore. Just that price is on a higher side. I could see some of them in user car dealership and Toyota U-Trust. Most of them are driven around 1.5 Lakh KM. Asking price is in the range of 15 Lakhs - 18 Lakhs.

I would keep the vehicle for next 4-5 years. Running would be around 12K - 15K per year.

Do you think it's a good idea to buy one? Appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks!
RAHS
RAHS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 21:11   #24

I purchased my pre owned 2008 Fortuner 2.7 petrol in 2010 and have been using it as a daily drive to office, around 550 kms in a week, I am based in Dubai and am very happy with the vehicle, had the 200k kms service at a FNG, bought all the spares myself, the vehicle is still going strong. I also have another Fortuner 2016 which I purchased from a company, they had used it for 55kms only and it has better fuel efficiency than the 2008 model mostly due to the 6 speed auto as opposed to the 4 speed auto in the 2008 model, I prefer the older one as a daily drive
baradus1210 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 22:41   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abtyagi View Post
my 2015 Fortuner - picture was taken at the Vidhana Soudha last night.
This pic will go down as one of the best wallpapers featuring a Fortuner; absolutely stunning pic. Thanks, @abtyagi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NullRock View Post
Looks closely related to my LX
Excellent pic, @NullRock. All older Lexus/Toyotas of one gen would resemble their cousins from another gen. Isn't yours a third gen LX570?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAHS View Post
thinking of getting a pre-owned Fortuner. Most of them are driven around 1.5 Lakh KM.I would keep the vehicle for next 4-5 years. Running would be around 12K - 15K per year.Do you think it's a good idea to buy one?
Thank You @RAHS. I'd say you live only once, and if you do your due diligence on even 1.5 lac kms run Fortuners that have a clean ownership record with full Toyota service history, it is worth going ahead if you're going to be doing 60k kms over 5 years.

Points to note :

1. Timing kit should have been changed as recommended at 1.5 lac kms
2. EGR and intake should have been cleaned at least once
3. The car should feel stock and barring nicks on the front and rear bumper edges, should have no other defects
4. The driver seat leather, steering wheel leather, and steering wheel silver surrounds should show no wear other than just minor chaffing
5. The 2013 AT comes with 5 speed gears while the 2012 AT comes with 4 speed
6. Test the brakes and clutch(if manual) and go ahead only if you're sure
7. Each tyre will set you back by INR14k approx.; just calling that out

Quote:
Originally Posted by baradus1210 View Post
I purchased my pre owned 2008 Fortuner 2.7 petrol in 2010 and have been using it around 550 kms in a week
Thank You, @baradus1210. Your 2008 Fortuner is another indestructible example. I remember in Oct-2005, the Fortuner had just been launched in the UAE, and was listed at AED85,000 which was nothing for a car of this kind. IIRC, I saw the first lot of Fortuners that had just landed at the dealership next to Carrefour, Airport Road, Abu Dhabi.

Last edited by vigsom : 8th July 2021 at 22:46. Reason: added one more point to note
vigsom is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th July 2021, 23:15   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
Excellent pic, @NullRock. All older Lexus/Toyotas of one gen would resemble their cousins from another gen. Isn't yours a third gen LX570?
Yes its 2011 ultra premium . Pristine condition top to bottom.

Last edited by vb-saan : 9th July 2021 at 07:43. Reason: For better reading experience (especially from smartphones) please do not quote the whole post. Thank you!
Old 9th July 2021, 01:17   #27

I have been using the 2013 Fortuner 4x2 manual. The brakes are a bit worrisome at times. But this SUV has been my best friend for all these years. Did some mega trips in this for example Delhi-Vishakapatnam-Delhi. Got it remapped as well with RaceLine UK, the BHP increased to upto 190 bhp making it a blast to drive, But was wanting the ease of an auto for some time now so two days back bought the fortuner new shape 4x2 auto. I have a Skoda superb which I drive in the city but when it comes to travelling from one end of India to the other it will always be a reliable fortuner. btw I nickname mine as "Airavata" !!
Attached Thumbnails
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-tfort-manual.png  

Attached Images

srirajkota is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 9th July 2021, 15:42   #28
BHPian

Hi Vigsom,

Thanks for your advice. Will keep those points in mind when I checkout the vehicles in pre-owned market. Hoping to find a good deal. Will come back if I need any other information.

Cheers!
RAHS
Old 10th July 2021, 16:25   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigsom View Post
how an ageing 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT looks like
Quote:
Originally Posted by CEF_Beasts View Post
1st Gen Fortuner’s seats have a habit of wearing out depending on the usage especially the driver’s seat; seen a lot of Fortuners with the driver’s seat worn out or torn, in the used market.
Here are some pics of a 1,63,000km done 2014 Fortuner AT. While the driver seat bottom edge is cracking up, the rest of the leather is almost intact. This one isn't pure by any standards, but has still held up well.

The odo reading
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-fortuner163k_instrumentconsole.jpg

Steering wheel leather and silver surrounds intact
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-fortuner163k_steeringwheel.jpg

View from the left rear door - upholstery intact
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-fortuner163k_lr_doorview.jpg

Driver seat back - few wrinkles visible
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-fortuner163k_driverseatback.jpg

Driver seat bottom edge - cracking
Long-term review of a 2014 Toyota Fortuner AT | Ageless Rockstar-fortuner163k_driverseatbottom.jpg
vigsom is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 12:11   #30

What about the Automatic Transmission?How about the drive?Any severe maintenance scheduled for the transmission during this period?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks