Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2022, 11:21   #1
BHPian

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria

As I bid goodbye to my gentle giant – as I call my Aria, it is a time for reminiscences. Mine was the Pure Model – 2011. This is also the longest we have held on to any car. 86000 kms and 10+ years

Across the last 10+ years of ownership, the going has largely been good. She has taken us places across India – Pondicherry, Goa, Ooty, Coorg, Athur, Mugambika, Chettinadu, Kolli hills, Kodai, almost throughout Kerala – all the “big” family functions. My younger daughter after her birth came home in the car, my teary eyed elder daughter for the first time moved away to her hostel with her bulk of books and study materials in the car. When we were fortunate enough to build a second home in Kollam almost 70km’s away from Trivandrum where I stay – the Aria carried us in complete comfort with the last seat folded and a truck load of things, including a pestle set with nary a squiggle. She has never left us stranded anyway – even one of the infamous flood spells in Trivandrum was undertaken with elan. The Aria was a hot favourite among my colleagues too – from official trips to Kochi some countless weddings, food jaunts, baptisms, house warmings and what not.

I have been chastised, hounded and my car judging abilities pulverised to a pulp- the minute I decided to go for the Tata Aria instead of the favourites of those time like the XUV 500 and the all-time favourite Innova.

There used to be a polite silence when I drive up in the Aria which is my second car. We have an Ignis automatic too. If you have bought a Tata then people irrespective of their knowledge of things automotive feel somehow “qualified” to bad mouth your choice. If not anything else- it is the resale Value. Adjectives like Tata’s flop car, Tata trying an Innova, maintenance problems, rust issues, shoddy after sales service, resale etc. are bandied about.

The need for a new car:
We had a Bolero at that time. In three years, it had done around 35000 kms. Though it was a bullet proof vehicle – its brick like dynamics, not to mention that it was a bit tiring to drive especially over long distances made us look for a new car.

The Bolero was a tad done up with alloys, fender flairs and even a Hummerisque bonnet applique and Hella Rally lights which subsequently went into the Aria too. Of all the cars that I have owned, the Bolero was the one where there was almost nil depreciation for a three-year-old vehicle. I had brokers, acquaintances, friends queuing up when it was put on sale. The inability to keep up with triple digit speeds, lack of safety features, vibration and all convinced me to go in for a new car.

Since we had a smaller car in the house – at that time it was a humble Maruti 800 – we wanted a six or seven seater for the occasional long journeys and for those journeys when the in-laws or my parents would join.
Cars under consideration then – had looked at the Toyota Innova and the XUV 500 which was all the rage those days. I didn’t even need to test drive the Innova as it was known for its bullet proof reliability. But we couldn’t afford it back then.

The XUV 500 was seriously considered. We test drove the vehicle, but I thought it a bit gimmicky and “overdone” (no offence to owners of the vehicle). Also, had been hearing of some electrical gremlins in the initial batch of vehicles. Being in the advertising industry had noticed TATA Aria’s very slickly done TV and print campaign. It was Christened as India’s first Crossover. I liked the looks of the vehicle very much , though my wife said the front end looked like a TATA Indica cab. Test drive the Aria was done at Das Motors and both me and my wife were impressed with the luxurious (at that time) interiors as well as the very high set seating positions. What impressed me the most was the smoothness of the engine or at least the perceived feel of it when you sit inside and close the door. It was truly built like a tank. My daughter liked the roof cubby pockets and the squarish designed interiors were also very interesting.
We were then sold on the Aria and decided to get it as we were offered a very good deal on the Bolero. I don’t remember the amount we got, but we got a very deal for the Bolero. In fact more than what we expected. Seat covers and the window roof guards were offered as freebies. I did the Teflon coating which was a “must have” accessory those days. We thus booked the Sardinia Red and I ordered the alloy wheels from the safari, as the Pure “Fabric” variant came with steel wheels.

The Aria was quiet a handful in Trivandrum city traffic, but on long journeys it was a literal locomotive and unlike the Bolero, one never feels tired even after a long stint behind the wheel. Even the passengers don’t feel too tired.
Ownership Experience:

Many find it hard to believe but, in my 10+ years of using the truck, I didn’t have any major expenses. The TATA after sales service was the pits and after trying out two different service centres – I finally settled for an FNG near my office recommended by a friend whose Pajero Sport is also serviced there.

Parts Replaced:
I shifted from fully synthetic oil to normal mineral oil after a few years but I made it a point to replace the oil every 5000 KM including the filters. Major expense during the total running in of 86,000 km was I had to replace the clutch assembly at around 45000 kilometers and the first set of tyres again at around the 45000 mark. The rear dicky support struts gave away and I think the replacement cost a whopping 8k. One of the injectors was also replaced during the warranty period after which they had to be again serviced and recalibrated at around 30000 km . The wiper assembly unfortunately gave up the ghost. A new assembly was again costly (around 18 to 21K if I am not mistaken), but fortunately my FNG guy came to the rescue and it was quickly refurbished . Apparently, the gears had worn out and the gear from a Maruti 800 was used for this. The drive shaft was also corrected at the lathe along with new bushes. The starter assembly had also developed a problem and it was again repaired at a fraction of the cost for a new one. Polishing of rotor, Ac clutch overhaul were some of the other problems encountered over the years.
Even I find it hard to believe, but unlike Tata horror stories that I came across – some in this forum itself, the Aria has been very dependable – not once has it ever failed on the road (a puncture and a weak battery were problems that happened while she was parked in the house and hence did not leve us stranded).

I think the fact that I used to get even a small squeak looked after and a no compromise outlook on changing the oils stringently also paid dividends. Spares were also very easily available and at the most there were a two or three delay in sourcing some parts.

A few years back I had the seats replaced for more comfort. Other than that I have tried to keep most things as original as possible.

Positives:
• The presence – Everyone made way for the Aria – the oversized Indica visage made sure that everyone made way for it
• It was a power House and could easily keep up and smoothly overtake most other cars on the road.
• The view – The high set view ensured, you were towering over others on the road and ensured a very commanding position
• The brakes – very sharp and gave you unlimited confidence though by Gods Grace never had to put it to the test.
• The Build quality – I had a Nano too, and compared to the Nano the build quality was really good .
• Very comfortable rear seats
• Very dependable and trouble free .

Negatives:
• Wallowy nature – with just two people in the front seat, the car used to bounce” around a bit
• The AC vents – The AC vents due to their design – could never be fully closed.
• Lack of storage space – though it had plenty of space for knick-knacks in the roof area – the lack of storage space in the dash board area was a real let down.
• The size – was quiet handful to park especially in crowded city areas
The major shock I had was when I put up the car for sale. Locally a few people in Kerala came and offered ridiculously low offers for the car . Luckily, I got a very good offer from Chennai by a young driving enthusiast couple and that is where she is now. All of us were very teary eyed and my daughters were crying their hearts out when we bid good bye to the car.

The new car is an XL6. A very nice car, buttery smooth and sleek. But on highways I sometimes miss the raw power of the Aria. She will be missed. She had taken us to so many places.
Attached Thumbnails
Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-screenshot_2022103118070301.jpeg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-screenshot_20221031180607.png  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0057.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0073.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0075.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0079.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0080.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0081.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0082.jpg  

Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria-img20221016wa0037.jpg  

Attached Images

Last edited by Axe77 : 2nd November 2022 at 08:58. Reason: Minor formatting edits for readability.
Roshith is offline   (65) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 01:01   #2
BHPian

Re: Bidding good bye to my gentle giant - My Tata Aria

Beautiful writeup of an oft misunderstood car. Wishing you many happy miles with the XL6.

Call it coincidence or providence, I have lately been thinking of cutting my losses and selling my 2012 Aria Prestige and buying either a new XL6 (all credit goes to LeoShashi with his impeccably maintained specimen) or finding a 2017 vintage Hexa XTA (I know, I know). And now I came across your thread.

First love is never forgotten. Will ship her off to TASS for hopefully a new lease of life.

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 2nd November 2022 at 01:03.
digitalnirvana is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 07:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalnirvana View Post
Beautiful writeup of an oft misunderstood car. Wishing you many happy miles with the XL6.

Call it coincidence or providence, I have lately been thinking of cutting my losses and selling my 2012 Aria Prestige and buying either a new XL6 (all credit goes to LeoShashi with his impeccably maintained specimen) or finding a 2017 vintage Hexa XTA (I know, I know). And now I came across your thread.

First love is never forgotten. Will ship her off to TASS for hopefully a new lease of life.
Thanks mate.

Happy to hear hat you also own an Aria . How has been the ownership experience?
Yes LeoShashi's write-ups are my go to SOP when deciding to go for the Xl6.
Roshith is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 08:18   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Always feels good to read an ownership post like this. The Aria was a lovely vehicle. Sometime in late 2012, fellow TBHP-ian had helped a few of us get a weekend with the Aria from Prerana motors here. We had taken it to Waynad. While the vehicle was a move up in all ways from the Sumo I used to drive, and was quite comfortable with the size, I cant forget that trip. About a 100km into the trip, had to make a sharp evade for a bus, and the Aria didnt break sweat. Later, Dhanush put it thru its paces in the interior roads of Waynad - and that was a revelation about the comfort and capability that the Aria offered.

I later got a Storme in a few months, which I still have.

Here's wishing you a happy ownership of the XL6 !
condor is offline   (12) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 09:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

I've read a few Aria ownership over the years. The Pure variant has the least reported issues. Most of it were reported in the Prestige and Pride variant. ACM's Aria is among the extreme example.

I remember in the later years, only Pure was being sold. Prestige and Pride variant were made to order.

I guess your daughters have grown up with the car, no wonder they were emotional on parting.
narayans80 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:27   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
Thanks mate.

Happy to hear hat you also own an Aria . How has been the ownership experience?
Yes LeoShashi's write-ups are my go to SOP when deciding to go for the Xl6.
I've not been as lucky as you. Its a Prestige variant so full of gremlins. Plus I bought it pre-owned without doing due diligence and have had to spend nearly the same money on repairs that I bought her for - approx 3.3 lakhs including registration. It's a love hate abusive relationship.

Quote:
Tata Aria. Is a permanent deserving member of this thread if there ever was one.

I bought it against the sage advice of senior members on here and it has fared exactly as they said.

Currently,
Alternator kaput
Power window switches
Seat fold and recline
AC condenser leak
Rear AC working just as blower

Last edited by digitalnirvana : 2nd November 2022 at 14:28.
digitalnirvana is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 14:54   #7
BHPian

Lovely write-up. I took the liberty of forwarding the link to some of the people who designed and built the Aria in Tata Motors. Few people know that about 200 Arias are still doing duty in Italy and Eastern Europe. 200+ of it's spiritual successor, the Hexa are with the Bangladesh Army. I myself own one of the last Hexa XTAs built and simply love it. As one of India's foremost auto journalists told me, to get a better ride one will have to spend upwards of Rs. 1 Crore.
Ferruccio is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:22   #8
Senior - BHPian

I have just bought the exactly same colored 2011 Prestige 4x4 (ownership review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...stige-4x4.html (Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4)), and I was ready to face a few problems that will come with previous ownership.

I am pretty confident that once all the servicing and maintenance is under my care, the car will be problem free and I too will have a trouble free ownership. Right now, just dealing with the previous owner's care, or lack thereof, in my Saffira.

Have successfully done a few trips, where I left it in 4x4, like Kaza (Spiti) and through rain, slush and stones to Halaan 2, near Manali. Have also successfully done a weekend overlanding trip in my car, and loved the experience.

It is lovely to read ownership reviews from old owners of this wonderful vehicle. I wish that the new owners will also take good care of it! Wishing you lots of smiles in the XL6 and Ignis in the miles you drive ahead in life...
AdityaDeane is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:26   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Always feels good to read an ownership post like this. The Aria was a lovely vehicle. Sometime in late 2012, fellow TBHP-ian had helped a few of us get a weekend with the Aria from Prerana motors here. We had taken it to Waynad. While the vehicle was a move up in all ways from the Sumo I used to drive, and was quite comfortable with the size, I cant forget that trip. About a 100km into the trip, had to make a sharp evade for a bus, and the Aria didnt break sweat. Later, Dhanush put it thru its paces in the interior roads of Waynad - and that was a revelation about the comfort and capability that the Aria offered.

I later got a Storme in a few months, which I still have.

Here's wishing you a happy ownership of the XL6 !
Thank you

Yes, the Storme is an equally capable machine.

Quote:
I've not been as lucky as you. Its a Prestige variant so full of gremlins. Plus I bought it pre-owned without doing due diligence and have had to spend nearly the same money on repairs that I bought her for - approx 3.3 lakhs including registration. It's a love hate abusive relationship.
Oops , sorry to hear that. I came across quiet a few threads in this forum on maintenance issues with the Aria, but mine has served me well without too much of gremlins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferruccio View Post
Lovely write-up. I took the liberty of forwarding the link to some of the people who designed and built the Aria in Tata Motors. Few people know that about 200 Arias are still doing duty in Italy and Eastern Europe. 200+ of it's spiritual successor, the Hexa are with the Bangladesh Army. I myself own one of the last Hexa XTAs built and simply love it. As one of India's foremost auto journalists told me, to get a better ride one will have to spend upwards of Rs. 1 Crore.
wow ! that's news to me sir .

Were they sold by Tata there.

And i am forever indebted to the lovely bunch at Tata who built & designed the Aria.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdityaDeane View Post
I have just bought the exactly same colored 2011 Prestige 4x4 (ownership review: https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-...stige-4x4.html (Saffira | My Pre-owned 2011 Tata Aria Prestige 4x4)), and I was ready to face a few problems that will come with previous ownership.

I am pretty confident that once all the servicing and maintenance is under my care, the car will be problem free and I too will have a trouble free ownership. Right now, just dealing with the previous owner's care, or lack thereof, in my Saffira.

Have successfully done a few trips, where I left it in 4x4, like Kaza (Spiti) and through rain, slush and stones to Halaan 2, near Manali. Have also successfully done a weekend overlanding trip in my car, and loved the experience.

It is lovely to read ownership reviews from old owners of this wonderful vehicle. I wish that the new owners will also take good care of it! Wishing you lots of smiles in the XL6 and Ignis in the miles you drive ahead in life...
Thanks so much mate.

And yes, i had gone through your post and shred the same with my wife also. Wish you lot of trouble free innings with your Aria

Quote:
Originally Posted by narayans80 View Post
I've read a few Aria ownership over the years. The Pure variant has the least reported issues. Most of it were reported in the Prestige and Pride variant. ACM's Aria is among the extreme example.

I remember in the later years, only Pure was being sold. Prestige and Pride variant were made to order.

I guess your daughters have grown up with the car, no wonder they were emotional on parting.
Thank you Sir for your kind words. And yes the Aria was almost like a family member. Never thought the girls will be so sad to see it go. Truth be told, even i felt very bad. But the only consolation is that the couple who bought her are equally enthusiastic and keep on sending me pictures of the car

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 2nd November 2022 at 16:38. Reason: back to back posts merged
Roshith is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2022, 15:39   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roshith View Post
wow ! that's news to me sir .

Were they sold by Tata there.

And i am forever indebted to the lovely bunch at Tata who built & designed the Aria.
Yes, sold by the company to these Exports markets. Thank you for your kind words for the unsung engineers.
Ferruccio is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 13:48   #11
BHPian

This is an excellent car let down by Tatas lack of ASS. looks very well maintained, a better camera at that time would have done justice. I am looking for the Hexa XMA variant preowned because the Aria is just too old now and am not able to get an example at all. Most are holding onto theirs, the only ones available are the XZ+ and XTA trims, who are upgrading to Tiguan/X1 territory
100Kmphormore is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 14:08   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
I am looking for the Hexa XMA variant preowned .. the only ones available are the XZ+ and XTA trims,
Why not the XTA variant ? Is it the $$ ?
condor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 20:57   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
Why not the XTA variant ? Is it the $$ ?
Yes you can say that. I’m looking for a decently run vehicle - within 30k km preferably, budget is max 10L. Used car prices are through the roof now
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:16   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Yes you can say that. I’m looking for a decently run vehicle - within 30k km preferably, budget is max 10L. Used car prices are through the roof now
Like you said, used car prices have gone through the roof, especially in BLR. It will be very difficult (if not impossible) to get a hexa with 30k on the odo for a max of 10L.
There was one xma from cars24, but that was close to 13, if i am not wrong. Quite a few Hexas are on cars24 and spinny, but they all are minimum 12L and above.
gods-envy is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd November 2022, 23:22   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
Like you said, used car prices have gone through the roof, especially in BLR. It will be very difficult (if not impossible) to get a hexa with 30k on the odo for a max of 10L.
There was one xma from cars24, but that was close to 13, if i am not wrong. Quite a few Hexas are on cars24 and spinny, but they all are minimum 12L and above.
That is true, I was contemplating a small car like the Brio automatic earlier, but that is 6L with 60k odd on the odo for a well maintained example. Spinny/Truebil are not reliable in the cars they present. Saw a customer coming to blows with the executive as the Rapid automatic he was sold had been in an accident and had been giving engine trouble continuously.
100Kmphormore is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks