Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2007, 20:28   #1

2007 Toyota Corolla 1.8J HE 800 km report

Hi,

After lot of research (thanks to Team BHP) and few test drives of SX4, Verna, Optra etc finally decided to purchase Corolla base variant.

Toyota Corolla 1.8J HE
Color : Champagne Metallic
Date of purchase : 18th June 2007
Dealer : DSK Toyota, Pune
On road price : 10.16 L

Since it is base variant, there was no airbags, alloy wheels, fog lamps, ICE. Airbags are not so easily available as a after market solution, and decided against installing alloy wheels.
Accessories purchased
ICE - Sony head unit CDX-GT860U worth 14K with front USB slot, motorised flip down panel etc. The car had already come loaded with four speakers.
Steering wheel cover worth 900
Art Leather Seat cover worth 7K
floor mats with hood mat worth 1K
Front fog lamps worth 5K
Body cover worth 900
Total accessories worth around 30K.

My experiences;

Got the brand new shinning car on the auspicious day of Ganesh Chaturthi on 18th June 2007.

DSK Toyota dealer's attitude towards consumer was exceptional, fantastic ambiance and excellent well mannered staff. License number plate, registration was done on next day. DSK Toyota engg arrived with the number plate right in my house in Nigdi which is a good 30 km away from showroom. Fitting all the accessory took around two days more. By this time odometer showed 200 kms. Next three days was spent taking the new car to the wedding ceremony of a relative and showing off ( this was fun ). Wedding was at Hadapsar a good 40 kms from our house, and we drove in the worst possible conditions, the monsoon was the hardest I ever experienced, with visibility very low. But corolla showed its class, with absolutely no problem of driving. This could not have been possible in my old M800. AC was superb immediately changing from cool to hot air. FE figures by this time was 9.65 km/l (full tank method), 100% city driving usually first and second gear, with full time AC on.

By this time the odometer showed 500 kms. Next we planned a trip to Kalyan, 130 kms from our house. The route was through Mumbai-Pune Expressway, I rarely crossed the 2K rpm mark, which kept the car speed below 90 km/hr cruising speed. Again it was raining like hell, and we kept the AC on all the time. When we reached Kalyan we were all fresh and spirited, ready to do anything we want. In our old M800, after reaching Kalyan we used to sleep like logs for at least 3 hrs. While returning, I touched 3K rpm mark at 110 km/hr. Also never noticed the climb up from Karjat to Lonavala in the ghat section. The powerful 1.8 liter engine just swept past all other cars in the ghat with utmost ease and grace. Even the usual arrogant Sumo taxi drivers who never give side to M800, immediately changed lanes just after a single honk or flash. The car was stable and sturdy on the highways. Yet to calculate the FE for highway driving conditions, will post it as soon as possible.

I have still not managed the proper judgment of the length and width of the Corolla as I am used to M800. So reversing the car alone is a problem for me, I need an extra person to guide while reversing. That is why I recently installed a reverse car alarm worth Rs900 just in case I miss someone while reversing.
As the length of the car is more, I feel there should be a rear wiper for heavy rains, only the rear defogger is provided as of now. Also when the windows are closed you cannot clearly look behind in the side rear view mirrors in heavy rain, as both the window and RVM has rain water drops. Although this are just the minor issues.
I feel the headlight lower beam is not powerful enough, although the high beam is super bright.

Summary

Toyota Corolla exactly fulfilled our expectations and need, for which we decided to buy this car. Truly world class experience with butter smooth ride and handling, powerful engine and luxurious interiors with huge legroom and shoulder room.

Dont know how to post photos, as I am new to this forum.
appuGhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:12   #2
Team-BHP Support

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/announ...-team-bhp.html

Check this.

Hmmm. nice report. looking forward to the pics.

Must be really enjoying upgrading from M800 to Toyota Corolla, right?

Last edited by CrAzY dRiVeR : 3rd July 2007 at 21:17.
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2007, 21:50   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice report and good upgrade from M800 to T1.8 Post some pictures and FE on highway.

Corolla is very good car for sure.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2007, 23:22   #4
BHPian

very nice upgrade from a M800, I myself thinking between the Innova and the Toyota Corolla 1.8J HE
Gregory is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2007, 09:04   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by appuGhar View Post
AC was superb immediately changing from cool to hot air.
I hope u meant the other way round

Nice Report...

Abhi
Old 4th July 2007, 11:18   #6
Senior - BHPian

Though DSK is the only toyota dealer in Pune,the whole experience is something out of this world starting from the place[the mumbai-bangalore bypass showroom] itself reminds you of dealerships abroad.
rahul_intlad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th July 2007, 20:48   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post
I hope u meant the other way round

Nice Report...

Abhi

All I said was about the a/c changing from cool air to hot air of heater very fast, as if hot air was stored inside.
Old 4th July 2007, 22:01   #8

First Day Car Pooja Photo

will post the interiors very soon
Old 5th July 2007, 20:36   #9
BHPian

Hey appuGhar! Nice car! Congrats on purchasing a Toyota Corolla. Wish you happy driving in it. Its a wonderful car to drive. As time passes, you can expect a mileage of 11-12 in the city with full-time a/c. The torque through out the band is a wonderful thing in the engine.

A
Old 5th July 2007, 21:35   #10
Senior - BHPian

Congrats !

Quote:
Hi,

After lot of research (thanks to Team BHP) and few test drives of SX4, Verna, Optra etc finally decided to purchase Corolla base variant.
Congrats on your new purchase and enjoy being in the group of world class comfort and quality drive. Corolla was my first new car in life bought with own money in 2003 but it was in middle east. Always enjoyed the comfort regardless of the climate, condition of the road, day and night. Over there my dealer gave us a full set of crockery worth Rs.10,000/- apart from the basic accessories. Did you get any such special gifts or discounts in India ? I think toyota maintains similar client services and pampering throughout the world. You can be always proud that corolla is a quality proven car everywhere. Waiting to see interior pictures and more updates on mileage. All the Best !
shajufx is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2007, 00:40   #11

Checked the mileage today.

For 80% highway driving for the trip of kalyan and 20% city driving I got the FE figures of 13.05 km/l

It is close to 1000 kms now. Due for first free inspection.
appuGhar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th July 2007, 09:53   #12
BHPian

How can this be called a "Long Term Ownership Report" ?
The car was driven less than 1000 km, and is less than 1 month old. This is neither long term in mileage or in age. Mods need to be more discerning in their classification of posts.
(Not to detract from the post, which is well written).
Old 6th July 2007, 10:49   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

Since it is base variant, there was no airbags, alloy wheels, fog lamps, ICE. Airbags are not so easily available as a after market solution, and decided against installing alloy wheels.

Oh!! It is still expensive, just for the "car" & absolutely nothing else? No airbags, no fog lamps, no audio system?

But yes, Corolla is in a class of its own ! And I agree with all your points, as you can really feel the difference going from M800 to Corolla. You can also feel the difference in braking, which is so better in Corolla.
Indian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th July 2007, 00:49   #14
BHPian

Corolla is one of the best cars in India, except for the look( compared to CIVIC) the performance is great. I had driven a corolla and a Civic too, but the engine performance is too slugish in Civic compared to Corolla. Good choice ,
Old 17th April 2018, 22:52   #15

Re: 2007 Toyota Corolla 1.8J HE 800 km report

Does this model have another name? I am not able to do Wheel Alignment because this model is not listed in the software.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks