Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd July 2007, 16:35   #1

2002 Fiat Palio ELX - 80,000 kms. review

Hello Everyone !!!

This is my first post on Team-BHP. I have been an avid reader of all the "gyaan" for quite some time and became a registered member recently.

Last Friday, my 2002 crossed, what I thought was a major milestone of 80,000 kms. in my 5 years and 1 month of ownership. I bought the car in 2002 in Delhi and have visited Mussorie, Agra, Jaipur, driven from Delhi to Pune, done countless Mumbai - Pune trips (best time on Expressway - 55 mins for 94 kms ), Mahabaleshwar and Coorg. Apart from this me and my car braved the infamous 26/7 downpour in Mumbai spending more 16 hours stranded in soaking rains and having driven through headlight level water - but my Palio managed to get me safely to Pune through this deluge.

In the last 5 years plus of ownership, I had only one major problem which cropped up around 60,000 kms. when my AC wasn't cooling enough. Problem was diagnosed to a corrosion in the AC copper tubes which run behind the dashboard. The condensation outside the tubes turned the accumulated dust to slush which over time corroded the tubes.

Apart from this I have had 1 accident where a mobike guy managed to come on the wrong side of the road and bang head on in the center of the car from front, damaging my radiator.

The car has never given me any other problems and all my servicing has been during the recommended 7,500 kms. at the authorised service stations (Samyak Auto in Delhi, Ashwamegh in Pune and the latest 75,000 kms. at B.U.Bhandari at Pune). I have always found servicing the car to be an easy experience with knowledgeable staff (contrary to the experience of many others).

I changed my tyres first at 45,000 kms. to Michelin Certis along with Aura alloys. However, these seem to have worn quite quickly and I have recently changed the front tyres to Goodyear GT III and plan to change the rear ones soon.

I have been tracking my mileage consistently through all the years in an Excel sheet and I have been getting consistently between 12 and 13.5 kmpl, with an all time best of 15.4 kmpl. Of course, I am lucky not to have too much of 2nd / 3rd gear driving in stop and go traffic in my daily commute.

All in all my experience with my Palio has been fantastic. I love the drive and its been like a loyal companion with the bond growing stronger by the day.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:38   #2
Team-BHP Support

Good review Sumit. Have you kept a copy of your service bills? Would help us know how much you have spent in all to maintain your car till 80,000 kms.
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:42   #3
BHPian

Good to see one more Happy Palio owner. Nice review.

Hellcat
Old 23rd July 2007, 17:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Good review sumit. You seem to be loving your FIAT. All the best. And luckily it seems that your service centre guys are doing a good job since you have not complained. Where do you service the car and how are they at the job?
Old 23rd July 2007, 19:56   #5
BHPian

Nice review sumit. I am at just 10% of what you have covered. Hoping that sometimes even I will be able to reach that level.

Felt nice to see your affection towards the car.
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:01   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats nice revew, Its awasome machine. Iam sure you love your beast.

Enjoy your ride.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:13   #7
Senior - BHPian

Awesome Review Sumit and Welcome to the Forum....nice to see a fully satisfied Palio owner after 80K km of fun....

Abhi
Old 23rd July 2007, 20:39   #8
Senior - BHPian

Are the mileage figures for city driving?
Old 24th July 2007, 00:26   #9
Senior - BHPian

Nice Review Sumit! Good to see another happy Palio owner!

Keep rocking!
Old 24th July 2007, 19:44   #10
Senior - BHPian

Good post - would be enlightening to read the long term ownership costs of the car
Old 24th July 2007, 23:07   #11

Hi everyone,
Thanks for all the comments. Yes. I have been maintaining a detailed record of expenses for 80,000 kms. I will post it soon.
The average mileage figures I posted are for city driving (though not stop and go traffic). The all time best mileage is on the Pune - Mumbai expressway.
Cheers,
Sumit
Old 25th July 2007, 11:28   #12
BHPian

wow. that one is good..
Old 25th July 2007, 11:41   #13
BHPian

Sumit, good review, such kind of FIAT ownership only enhances FIAT's image.. good to see that your bond with the car is growing stonger.. its a beautiful experience... incidentally PALIO has clocked its highest ever sales in brazilian market this Q1 quarter.. how i wish one day it happens in INDIA...

FIAT, always.....
Old 25th July 2007, 11:50   #14
BHPian

Great to know that you are very happy with the car. 80,000kms without any major issues speaks for itself. We all know how much we love our Palios. Its simply a beautiful machine . Cheers to Palio!
Old 25th July 2007, 12:02   #15
BHPian

First time hearing such a good news from a palio owner. Usually it is like this ' I had lots and lots of problems with my fiat but I still love my fiat' . A different story from a [FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=3]contented fiat owner.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks