Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th August 2007, 11:54   #1
Mav
BHPian

Quartz Black Safari Dicor joins the team

I joined these fantastic boards while I was searching for my new ride. I had short listed Scorpio, Innova and Safari Dicor in the order of preference. It took me many test drives and almost every post on the board to get convinced for Safari Dicor, and oh boy I am not complaining. Three weeks and 4000 KM, I am in love with the beast.

Few things which convinced me for Safari were -

Unmatched road presence and looks

Nothing matched Safari Comfort (Scorpio back seats are crap, however Innova was quite comfortable, but lacked looks and is not a SUV)

Driveability - This was the major concern because of which I couldn’t go for Dicor straight away. When I drove the beast for the first time, I was shocked to see the 3K redlines and felt real awkward to drive it. However one trip to Chandigarh in my cousins Safari changed all this. Infact, now I am starting to like the dicors ability to produce so much of power within a very narrow power band. Any one new to Safari will have to get used to this to enjoy the beast.

After 1200 KM of city driving I took the beast to the hills err Mountains, i.e. Kashmir. I don't remember any one overtaking me on the whole trip, maybe I was driving like a maniac , or maybe people avoid overtaking the beast.

The power is awesome; however you need to be really careful while going at real high speeds with this beast coz the one and the only thing which I really hate about this are the brakes. If you want to do anything above 120 with this then you need to have clear vision for at least 1/2Km otherwise you will end up more often than not in panic stricken situations.

Brakes are inadequate and real disappointment, one will need get used to Safaris stopping abilities before trying anything extravagant. I have done max 150 KMH and felt beast had still enough left in it, thankfully didn’t have to use brakes during this stunt.

My hill experience with this can be described in one word - Tireless. Neither me nor the beast was tired or could be seen breaking into sweat during the entire trip. We did quite a bit steep inclines in Gulmarg, Sonmarg, and also on Jammu-Kashmir highway, all this was effortless.

Mods-

My Safari came with Apollo footwear. One word to describe that would be pathetic. I was screeching all over the Noida for first two days, every U-Turn, infact every turn used to turn heads. Changed immediately to Hankook Dynamics, felt better till the time I was driving in the city. Moment I stepped onto highway realised I don’t have adequate tyres. Were noisy on the hills and rain handling was quite poor. They need to go before my next trip.

Crash Guard - I went for the OEM Tata Safari CG, its quite light and IMO opinion suits the beast well.

ICE-

HU - DEH-P5990IB
Front Speakers - Infinity Ref 6010CS Component Speakers with Crossovers
Rear Speakers - JBL CS Series Components
AMP - GTO 75.4
12" JBL bass tube

I got this from Elegant, Lajpat Nagar. I am totally disappointed with the installation. I can hear engine revving in my front speakers and my rear speaker’s sound really crap. I will be going there in next couple of days again to get this fixed.

Overall I am enjoying the beast, and really want to thank the board for making up my mind to own the best.

P.S Wanted give a special shout to Steer for his wonderful reviews!

Many thanks to everyone!

Pictures -

Last edited by Dippy : 11th August 2007 at 13:36.
Old 11th August 2007, 13:26   #2
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the club, can you also specify which Variant did you go for, LX/EX and what was the discomfort about braking on high speeds.

Last edited by dadu : 11th August 2007 at 13:27.
Old 11th August 2007, 15:13   #3
BHPian

congrats MAV!
i would suggest michelin synchrones for footwear.
isn't that a 'carryboy' crash guard?i had no idea that it became an OEM tata accessory?
sadly,braking on the safari is good only on sensible driving.i agree with you,on high speeds it justs slips,slides and fishtails.way too dangerously.
happy motoring buddy and am happy to know that you are happy with your purchase.
Old 11th August 2007, 15:23   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

If it rains, it pours! Atleast with Safaris on TBhp.

Congrats on the truck. Any discounts on the car, what with the new 2.2 Dicor around the corner ?

Btw, your signature is brilliant!

Last edited by theMAG : 11th August 2007 at 15:25.
Old 11th August 2007, 15:30   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorkats View Post
i agree with you,on high speeds it justs slips,slides and fishtails.way too dangerously.
Check your LSPV for rear brake setting. This is something I learnt from TBHP - from Mpower specifically. He sat in the US and gave me gyan on a desi SUV that actually worked.

No issues with braking since then, but I agree braking isnt adequate in terms of the time taken to slow down the 2 tonnes. No fishtailing or slipping here - what rubber are you running, Doc?
Old 11th August 2007, 17:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Check your LSPV for rear brake setting. This is something I learnt from TBHP - from Mpower specifically. He sat in the US and gave me gyan on a desi SUV that actually worked.

No issues with braking since then, but I agree braking isnt adequate in terms of the time taken to slow down the 2 tonnes. No fishtailing or slipping here - what rubber are you running, Doc?
Steer, please shed some more light on the LSPV, what needs to be done/ told to the service mechanics.
Old 11th August 2007, 17:40   #7
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations on the Dicor... have fun and drive safe...
I agree with you on the braking part..

Godfather
Old 11th August 2007, 19:55   #8
Mav
BHPian

Thanks everyone!

@Dadu - I got the LX version, braking distance seems to be very high compared to the power this beast can unleash. I have also experienced slight roll to one side while hard braking.

@Doctorkats - It is the original Tata CG, with Tata logo on the front. I agree it looks like carryboy design however unsure if Carryboy supplies the same to Tata. Yes I am considering synchrones soon. Doc, can you suggest me where can I get my claddings painting, Sterling quoted me 18 K

@theMag- My vehicle is almost 3 weeks old, so launch of 2.2 was still a big speculation then. However I got the 26K cash discount on the vehicle (actly dont remember the exact amount), apart from the finance discount. will confirm this later.

One more thing that I forgot to mention was my experiment with nitrogen in my tyres. Their is definite and positive difference in handling of the truck with this. Their is a new feeling of lightness while making turns, donno if any one else has experienced the same or maybe I was just plain imagining.
Old 11th August 2007, 21:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post

I have also experienced slight roll to one side while hard braking.
Seems like alignment problem, get it checked.
Old 11th August 2007, 21:34   #10
Senior - BHPian

Agree with dadu... i dont feel any bodyroll in my safari..

Godfather
Old 12th August 2007, 02:02   #11
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations mav, Another Safari on tbhp - WOW

I really love the way your tyres look, the painted lettering really looks cool.
Old 12th August 2007, 02:56   #12
Senior - BHPian

Congrats on the new beast Mav! A few tips for you after what other experts have already told you:

a. Better tyres are a must & Michelin Synchrone/Latitude/Yokohama AT/S are good bets but are expensive with B&W.

b. Auto Marc aka Sanjay is not the best person/place in town for ICE work. His work is known to be shoddy & he's more of a jugaad man than anything else! Try & get you wiring sorted from a better & more experienced dealer.

Happy Motoring!
Old 12th August 2007, 04:53   #13
BHPian

sure mav.
will speak to sterling,nawab and him motors, arm twist them to do it cheaper and with factory finish.you okay with that?
drive on!

Last edited by doctorkats : 12th August 2007 at 04:57.
Old 12th August 2007, 05:11   #14
BHPian

congrats mav.welcome to the club bro
Old 12th August 2007, 07:39   #15
BHPian

congrats MAV

guess one more into this religion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
Brakes are inadequate and real disappointment, one will need get used to Safaris stopping abilities before trying anything extravagant.
when i was new to my DICOR i almost banged two cars from rear and somehow managed to give a nice paint job to NHC rear bumper.

now i am comfortable with brakes too. they are pretty good i guess.
pedal travel is quite large though. which is the main cause new one
feel braking is inadequate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks