Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th August 2007, 22:41   #1
BHPian

Civic Mt

This is basically about a rear suspension noise in my CIVIC. and also service issues.

What I mean is there is a noise from the rear suspension when the car moves over even small potholes more pronounced when reasonably loaded. It has a rough backseat ride at low to medium speeds, upto 80-90 km/h. The shockers tend to bottom out (they say it has a soft suspension) and give a jarring impact with noise, impact can be felt by the rear seat passenger.

This is the problem in my CIVIC at least. I have been complaining in writing since the 1st check up at a 1000 km. They just re-aligned the wheels. (No advantage)

They changed the ENGINE MOUNTINGS at the 5000 km service. Why? I can't say, as my problem was rear suspension noise.

At 7,500 km again I went to the Workshop at Jaipur to get the noise checked up. No result.

We have also got the suspension noise verified from their service persons who had come to Ajmer for a service camp.

At 10,000 km service we also complained of some uneven wear startin g on rear tyres. My driver was made a joke of by being asked whether he worked in a tyre company. No other work done.

At 15000 km service we complained of loud tyre noise inside cabin, from 60 km/h onwards, increasing with speed to become unbearable. This time they verified it as uneven tyre wear due to tyre defect. No work done as tyre person not available that day.

The Goodyear tyre company representative came to our residence at Ajmer (yes, the workshop is at Jaipur which is 135 km away). He checked the tyre with instruments. His written report says that the there is "IRIVER" wear in the rear tyres, and this is not due to any defect in the tyre. He also tells me to get the suspension checked, as there is some underlying cause for the uneven wear. He says that this is the 1st tyre replacement that he may have to give in CIVIC. He asys that inspite of the report that he is giving, he will ensure that the tyres are replaced as a goodwill measure, but I must 1st atleast try to get the suspension problem sorted out.

At 17500 km or so I again sent the car to Jaipur to get the tyres replaced. Alignment done again, but no balancing done. Nothing else done to the suspension.

The suspension noise still coming. Took the car to Jaipur for the 20000 km service on 7th Aug. Now we reported certain bubbling (which was bound to come as no balancing done with tyre change). Now balancing done at an approx cost of Rs.1700/- for 4 wheels. Throttle cleaning and injector cleanning done (without informing me, and I was there at the workshop for 2 hours from 12-2pm). Air filter and other filters replaced.Oil change and regular service. Total cost Rs5,631/- . 631/- waived off after a big showdown over phone.

No work on suspension as they promised to replace the shockers, but the part not available with them. Also the right wiper blade has been making a noise and leaving chatter marks. Also promised to replace this at a later date as the part again not available.

NOW THIS IS WHAT I CALL THE LEGENDARY HONDA SERVICE. Detailed breakup available if needed.

Now yesterday 13th Aug. I get a call from the dealership at 12:30 pm, that they can send me the parts to Ajmer or I can send the car to Jaipur again to get the car fixed. I say I would like it to be done at Ajmer.
They tell me OK we are sending the parts to Kishangarh (where my work is and it is enroute Ajmer from Jaipur) so that I can get them changed by their team which is returning from Jodhpur (or Udaipur).

Also Mr. Umesh Butani from Honda SIEL is there, and he could also check the car. I told them that this is not practical that I keep on sending the car to Jaipur for their car defect issues which should not be there in the 1st place (This is a CIVIC). I ask to speak to Mr. Butani. He calls me up some time later and I explain my problems. He says he would like to see the car, possibly on the next visit to Jaipur (I have to send it there).

At 4.30 pm I get a call from their team that they have reached and do I have the parts? (not recieved till then).

I call up Jaipur to be told that Mr BUtani has asked that he wants to inspect the car before anything is done on it. He will be back to Jaipur after 15-20 days and I should send the car then, so he can inspect it.

I must also tell you that I was in DELHI from 4th Aug to 6th Aug and had written to Honda SIEL to get the car inspected there by their own Engineers so as to ascertain the problem. They put me in contact with another of their dealer (Ringroad Honda) to get the car inspected. This was to be done by the dealer's mechanics and not Company Engineers at Nangloi (about 1-1.5 hr drive from where I was). Needless to say that I did not send the car as I could not afford such a downtime of practically a full day.

Anyway Mr Butani cancelled the Shockers and Wiper blades, without informing me, who as an idiot was waiting for those parts in my office. Now the work will be done on one of Mr Butani's visit to Jaipur, when
I am able to send the car to Jaipur at the same time.

CAN MR JEETU OR ANYONE ELSE COMMENT. I HAVE MORE GRIEVANCES BUT FOR LATER.

I must again tell you that I have 3 IDENTICAL OHCs and my Father in law has an NHC and Accord. We have had a trouble free and excellent experience till this CIVIC. Also we have had cars since 1931 (my great grand father's time), and have had all varieties of cars including Mercs, Hudson, Impala, Morris, Baby Hindustan, and god only knows which ones I'm just 39 years old. So if they think we are not correct I think they should get their heads checked. None of my current cars, except 5 yr old M-800, makes any kind of suspension noises.

Do they expect me to compare a 12+lakh car with a Maruti 800??

NOW TELL ME WHAT TO DO?? You all talk about test drives, I talk about 22,000 kms in my own car. this may be a one off problem in the CIVIC. It can happen in any car or machinery, BUT it must be properly handled so as not to lead to such grievances.

NOW TELL ME WHAT IS MY MISTAKE??

Last edited by adya33 : 17th August 2007 at 23:52.
Old 14th August 2007, 22:50   #2
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

They changed engine mounts for a reported suspension issue ?

Thats some horrendous experience you have had. Why don't you try a showroom in a city close by? Or send a e-mail or call Mr. Butani and tell him you cannot wait for eternity. Specially when the parts are available. Take up your case strongly.
Old 14th August 2007, 23:12   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

I think they changed the engine mounts as the initial civics that came out of HONDA factory had these defects .I think they changed the Engine mounts of the entire lot.
And here in this case they didnt inform before changing them.
Old 15th August 2007, 06:55   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post

Thats some horrendous experience you have had. Why don't you try a showroom in a city close by? Or send a e-mail or call Mr. Butani and tell him you cannot wait for eternity. Specially when the parts are available. Take up your case strongly.

The only dealer in Rajasthan till now is at Jaipur. In fact I have been their custome since 2001, but never had any major issues. They have been most courteous at all times. It is only with this Civic that I am facing the problems. Even if they came with a dealership in any other city, I think Jodhpur and Udaipur are being planned to increase sales and service, the are 1.5 to 2 times the distance.

Last edited by alankarm@sancha : 15th August 2007 at 07:01.
Old 15th August 2007, 06:56   #5
BHPian

I have written to Honda time and again with full details. Always I get a call from Honta one 2 one, which probably is just a call center. Then they follow it up by asking me whether the dealer has called me.

If this is the follow up - for nearly a year now, then god help me. If there was so much complaint from me, and no work being done by them I think the Honda SIEL at Delhi should have got the matters cleared long ago as my letters to them have been sent a few days before and a few days after each visit to the Workshop.

To Honda one 2 one Escalating the matter means just informing the dealer, and confirming with me as to whether the Dealer called. This has happened many times already.

Sending the car to Jaipur, whenever I face a problem in the defective car, entails a cost of about 1500/- + downtime + tensions + (my own time if I have to go personally to get this damn problem rectified). Is this justified?

Another thing I must point out is I have threatened them with talks of a legal notice, but it does not seem to affect them.

DO I KEEP SENDING THE CAR TO JAIPUR WHENEVER THEY DEMAND THAT IT BE SENT. Why can't the Co. do the work at Ajmer? - as I have already visited the workshop 7-8 times (including services).

This is the E-mail I have just recieved from Honda's customer care:

Dear Sir

This has reference to your email dated 12 Aug 2007 regarding your Honda Civic vehicle bearing registration no RJ 01 CA 2095.

At the outset we regret the inconvenience caused to you.

As per the telephonic conversation our Mr Umesh Bhutani - Regional Manager Service had with you, we understand that it was not possible to make your car available for inspection during the visit of Mr Bhutani at Jaipur on 13th and 14th Aug 2007. We are advising our dealership M/s Pink City Honda, Jaipur to be intouch with you and accordingly intimate you about his next visit.

Assuring you of our best services at all times.

Regards,

Naved Ahmad
Customer Relationship Management

Another thing I would like to point out is that -- if there is any defect in the suspension setup / shockers or EVEN if they are too soft, then the car will require the cost of realignment and balancing very regularly.

If Honda can detune the engine for Indian conditions, can't they adjust the suspension for Indian conditions? If they think that the Indian fuel is bad, do they think the Indian roads are like Silk?

The car may be a pleasure to drive after 3000 RPM or so, but does that mean that the passengers suffer? How many persons drive above that anyway? What about the slower speed rides? City conditions have a lot of potholes and rides are low to medium speeds only.

NOTE FROM MODERATOR: Kindly avoid using font formatting tags

Last edited by adya33 : 17th August 2007 at 23:53.
Old 17th August 2007, 20:23   #6
BHPian

Can other CIVIC MT owners share their experiences?
Old 17th August 2007, 23:43   #7
BHPian

Sorry to hear about your predicament. As zoomingbhat said the engine mounts were replaced as there were some issues with the initial civics. Read about it in an ACI in the the grieviences section. You could infact try to go through the same route and write to them.
Old 18th August 2007, 03:18   #8
BHPian

@alankram

you need to make a stronger representation.
draw out an accurate and strong worded complaint and mark it to the biggies at honda siel.
preferably have a lawyer draft the letter for you.
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:33   #9
BHPian

I think I have to do that.

Most Viewed