Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th September 2007, 22:49   #1
Senior - BHPian

4 years and 50,000 Kms. She's just born (Mitsubishi Lancer)

4th birthday and 50,000 kms ownership report

There are things that hold too much importance in your life. This includes things that are not alive. There are also times when we start considering it to be alive.

One such important thing in my life is my lancer. It arrived at our home sometime on 30th November 2003. Since then it has served us with love and more love.

Meet the 6th member of our family (5th is the wagonR). I today take the liberty to writed a brief autobiography on this lovely love of my life.

The odo currently reads 50431 as I am sitting on the rear seat writing this. The 7 service was just carried out at 48000 kms.

The interior has is well built and has weathered well. The shiny plastics as with all lancers does look cheap and is a problem in sunlight. The roof fabric is grayish and has become dirty after such a long time. Yes, it does need a shampoo. The exterior is has lasted the best. The water based red colour still holds its charm as ever. With some tweaks here and there one may mistake it to be a new car. I guess the car has 7 coats of paint just like with the Octavia.

The sunglassholder above the drivers seat was a menace. Ahmedabad’s heat had taken its toll and it hit the drivers head all the time. I got it removed. Two screws now show in its place.

The steering wheel is big. I have learnt to get my legs in straight but it seldom gets problematic. Otherwise its easy, precise and fun to use. The drivers seat is low and my dad needs to use the roof’s support to get in and get out.

A/C has good cabin cooling. It cools evenly. But in peak summers above 42 degrees, it pales. Also the shiny plastics heats up too much to affect cooling.

The gearbox is positioned just right; where it should be. Always falls straight in hand. The ratios are suited for the best commuter experience. A drive in the chaotic city traffic will have you smiling and unscathed. Also helps in good FE. But Take it to rip and the ratios will disappoint. Gear throws are excellent and its fun to play around with. My second gear is suffering somehow and the pickup takes a blow. Need to get this rectified soon.

Power windows ask for a special mention. They are weak, weak, weak. The rear left and front left windows also gave up for a period of 8K until I took it for service. Powerful motors will be more than welcome.

A very irritating problem is water seeping inside when using wiper washers. It falls straight on the power windows buttons and on the drivers clothes.

Engine is the most refined I have driven to date. Include OHC,NHC, Corolla, and optra. NVH are not. While there is pin drop silence upto speeds of 60kmph, more speed increases road noise which may stay all the way upto 160. Doesn’t always get irritating except when listening to music. The drive to 160kmph is smooth. I seldom feel the need for more horses especially when on the expressway. But a downshift is all it requires.

14inch alloys look too puny. I would need atleast 15 or recommend one.

Fuel efficiency is a fixed 13kmpl with ac in city now. However I drive, Whoever drives, FE is fixed to 13kmpl. On the highway the figure goes upto 18 if my dad drives and 16-17 if I drive.

The company lights sometimes seem to be weak. I am going to fix better bulbs.

Have had this baby been kissed thrice. Dented on the front right once by a newbie lady in her palio.

The second time was by my father on the expressway for no fault of his. An OHC overtook without prior warning and my dad was already out on the way to overtake the truck. Sudden braking led to the rear bumper break. Just within the next 6 months an NHC took its turn at the rear bumper this time. (looks like I have Honda enemies now. :P). The bumper was again replaced. Also broke a seal to the boot. This led to water logging in the spare tyre area. Repaired now. Running smooth and fine; touch wood.

The sfxi models come with air dams as almost everybody knows. In there front there is a small A sized plastic panel. I lost that once on our trip to abu. Autonova doesn’t keep that part in stock and its also pricy at 5500. gosh! I can get 10 units made locally for that price.

Service quality and response is ok at best. Cama motors was great. Their experience from the Mercedes-benz dealership showed. But when lancer was stuck and no other Mitsubishi came, they gave up the dealership. Autonova appeared. Autonova people started with great bang. Gave free gifts like watches and perfumes on every service. Free repairs and free spares. 3 months later they were back to their senses. Service is nothing great guns but feedback and response is good. It happens many times that I have to take the car back again for some work that is left out.

The original MRF ZVTS were just mediocre. Nothing great. But delivered great fuel efficiency. I have to say this. Seldom has FE in city reached 14 to 15 kmpl in city during the initial drive. I replaced to Michelin Energy XM1 at 41000 kms. Xm1s ride great and are also low on road noise but don’t give the same Fuel Efficiency. But then handling is also good on the Michelins.

Sound System is the standard kenwood unit with remote the company provided. Also get a 10cd changer. I changed the rear speakers with BM Boschmann 6X9’s. had tried JBL, pioneers, Kenwood and Xplod but nothing souded better. I seldom thought of getting a sub and amp but friends and colleagues always suggested otherwise. There are two reasons to this. It costs extra and they fear the sound quality may not remain the same.

This is the first time I am writing a ownership report so its not the best but I hope it is helpful. Also needed badly are some good snaps. Lets hope i get time to do it soon.
Old 12th September 2007, 22:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also needed badly are some good snaps.
Yes pictures are needed badly!

Quote:
A very irritating problem is water seeping inside when using wiper washers. It falls straight on the power windows buttons and on the drivers clothes.
I didnt get that. How does water from windshield washers fall on power window buttons and the driver?!
Old 15th September 2007, 01:02   #3
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Yes pictures are needed badly!
I didnt get that. How does water from windshield washers fall on power window buttons and the driver?!
I guess thats with the windows down?
Old 15th September 2007, 01:53   #4
Senior - BHPian

whenever I spray water on the windshield, the water spreads over and drops fall inside on the power window console.

Havent been able to take pics. Had been out of town for work. drove 500kms in 2 days and it was fun. Will try to take some good pics this weekend.
Old 15th September 2007, 02:10   #5
BHPian

Nice feedback. Are the washer nozzles misdirected? Have you tried redirecting them with a pin?
Old 16th September 2007, 01:35   #6
Senior - BHPian

ok, let me try to explain the wiper washer issue.

Lets say I am driving at 40kmph which is a normal speed. I spray water to clean the windshield. The sprayed water will travel with wind and fall through the open window.

To add to this, I just refilled the water tank and found some green algae inside. Anyways to clean it up?

Update: The flexible ORVMS work great. Bashed those many times but (touchwood) they are still perfect.
Old 17th September 2007, 08:54   #7
BHPian

hey devarshi, is lancer a good buy now too among diesels?
Old 17th September 2007, 12:13   #8
Senior - BHPian

nope, not at all. I own a petrol though.
Old 17th September 2007, 17:23   #9
BHPian

Hey Devarshi,

Do you own the 1.5 litre version?

Based on the 4 year ownership experience, will you recommend this car to others?

Nikhil
Old 17th September 2007, 23:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

I own the 1.5 litre version.

From my 4 years experience, hell yes I would recommend this car to others.

But for a sensible buyer, there are lots of better options out there. Lancer 1.5 is outdated now.

Update: Today for the Nth time I noted that the wheelwells are too big and my 14" alloys even with the upsize Michelins dont fill them up well. I am stuck atleast for another 30K with this setup. Not that I am regreatting though.
Old 3rd August 2010, 14:10   #11
Senior - BHPian

Finished 100,000 kilometers. Seven years later the car is looking forward to doing some more 100,000kms. Spent about 20K on various liquids, Spares, new headlamps and servicing.

The alternator bearing is the only culprit right now making a racket. The car returned 15kmpl in the city and I am a happy man. Two thumbs up for the paint quality from Hindustan Motors and Three thumbs down for the shoddy service and feedback from Autonova Mitsubishi.

PS: A strict no-no for getting the job done with Autonova MItsubishi Ahmedabad. Their performance level in the current state is no better than the road side mechanics. The owner (they also own Audi Ahmedabad) was bad mouthing and swearing on some employee in front of the customers. Totally unproffessional

Last edited by devarshi84 : 3rd August 2010 at 14:12.
Old 3rd August 2010, 15:25   #12
Senior - BHPian

Wonderful !

Can we have some recent snaps please?
Old 3rd August 2010, 16:22   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Devarshi: Congrats on the 100K mark!
Our Lancer, which is now being used by someone else has recently touched the 60Kkm mark.
Still is a beauty to drive and look at, right?

What all maintainance have you carried out? Engine flush?
Have you switched over to synthetic oil, or still use regular mineral oil?
Old 3rd August 2010, 22:55   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84 View Post
Finished 100,000 kilometers. Seven years later the car is looking forward to doing some more 100,000kms. Spent about 20K on various liquids, Spares, new headlamps and servicing.

The alternator bearing is the only culprit right now making a racket. The car returned 15kmpl in the city and I am a happy man. Two thumbs up for the paint quality from Hindustan Motors and Three thumbs down for the shoddy service and feedback from Autonova Mitsubishi.

PS: A strict no-no for getting the job done with Autonova MItsubishi Ahmedabad. Their performance level in the current state is no better than the road side mechanics. The owner (they also own Audi Ahmedabad) was bad mouthing and swearing on some employee in front of the customers. Totally unproffessional

Happy to note that Lancer is doing well.I was looking for once before i bought my Indiaca way back in 2005,but people around me asked me not to get near them as the spares were said to be expensive

All the best for next 1L Kms
Old 4th August 2010, 13:03   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshguy View Post
Happy to note that Lancer is doing well.I was looking for once before i bought my Indiaca way back in 2005,but people around me asked me not to get near them as the spares were said to be expensive

All the best for next 1L Kms
The spares used to be expensive but HM had drastically reduced prices in the last couple of years or so. There is a thread on this too. But maintainence of the car mostly depends on how the car is tuned by the workshop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini View Post
Devarshi: Congrats on the 100K mark!
Our Lancer, which is now being used by someone else has recently touched the 60Kkm mark.
Still is a beauty to drive and look at, right?
What all maintainance have you carried out? Engine flush?
Have you switched over to synthetic oil, or still use regular mineral oil?
Thanks Lamborghini. It's still a beauty, yes.

Changed from Mobil1 to MOtul 8100. Oil filter
Changed timing belt and pulley bearings.
air filter and fuel filter
New headlight units
MUT tuning.
Transmisssion fluid
Spark plugs (Stupid HM shifted from NGK to Bosch)
Engine bay cleaning
new vipers
power steering fluid

and some other knick knacks here and there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Wonderful !
Can we have some recent snaps please?
Working on it. I need to get hold of my photographer friend who owns a DSLR.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks