Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st October 2007, 11:59   #1
Senior - BHPian

M800, 1999 Model, Just 6600KM Driven

Ok, I know there will lots of questions, but thats ok.

This M800 car of my uncle, purchased on 1999 (I was with him that day), from Bhandari Motors, East Of Kailash (which is closed now).

After driving 5300 KM, uncle had to abandone the car for 2 years in parking, for some famiy/personal/health reason. And I mean 2.5 yrs, not a single crank.

so Finally I took over the car on 2005, got it serviced for 5200 Rs. There was no serious damage at that time. Battery had to replaced.

Than, a second round of neglect, after doing 6500 in odo, car got another sleep for 1.5 years. with fews cranks now and then and for last 6 months no crank.

This weekend, I finally got my self into active mode. Opened the car, as expected, battery gone. Jump start from my Indica did not worked. Called the Crossroad guy (they are big time disappointment when needed the most). Jump started the car, ok cool, engine came alive. Drove the car from uncle's home to Gurgaon. Car stopped twice in the middle.

After reaching Gurgaon, I got the battery charged for 2 days. Last Friday when I installed the fully charged battery and cranked, engine was just moving free. First thing came in mind was that its just broken timing belt. Called up one known mechanic, opened the TB and it was fine. Then came the nightmare thought. head valves could be jammed, not making enough pressure to start. opened the head, and found 2 small and 2 large valves were completely jammed. So it had to be towed to service center.

Last Saturday I decided to tow it to a Local service center instead of MASS (they could have charged 25K Rs very easily)

So first thing, Head opened, Carburetor removed, and head was taken to a facing shop. They removed the valve and found, lots carbon jamming the valve. Though the valves were good. Also the had to change the guide for all six valves. Work done in 2 hrs.

Meanwhile brakes where checked and cylinder for left rear were leaking, replaced (190 Rs). Clutch was too too hard, Clutch Plate and pressure plate was gone to my surprise. anyways it just cost 880 Rs for the set so got it replaced. Brake Pad were stock new. All the oils (Brake, Gear, Engine) changed. Coolant replaced.

Carburetor serviced, Alternator was ok, it was suspected overcharging. current was 13.5 constant when charging.

Now the nightmare, Head came back serviced, guides fitted in, after assembly back. after everything put back. Car did not came alive. 30 mins and no result. All of sudden we realized that coolant level was going down fast, how come ?. Head opened back again, and shock....

Coolant was getting mixed with engine oil, because of the leak in the head. After lots of thought, it was concluded that facing guy muct have used the old or local guides and may not have used sealant for any gaps. we went back to facing shop and guy refused to take the responsibility and told us that head has to tested for any old likeage.

Its was 5:50 PM and I was totally pissed off by that time. So lost my temper, shouted right left on the shop owner. Anyways, as I was out of time, we went to another facing shops, with genuine guides, new seals and sealant. He knocked out the old guides and we realized that the old shop owner had used the old guides that also of wrong size.

So at 7:00 PM new guides installed, head completed, everything fitted back again. and first attempt of self, no response. sigh. total frustration.

Then we realized, that fuel was not coming, culprit, the newly installed fuel filter. Finally fuel ok. Self. Engine purred. Haa Haa at 8:30 PM engine was running..

Then other work was complete in hurry, to my zero satisfaction. and car completed at 10:30 PM. Battery still Discharged. Any I drove it back to home, with Bro-In Law driving my Indica, backing me for any halt. I was totally exhausted and was aware that there is lots of work pending for next day
Old 1st October 2007, 12:29   #2
Senior - BHPian

Day 2:
On Sunday, I planned to replace the stock non-radial tyres with radials. Though the old tyres were in stock new condition, drive quality was really bad, specially when I drive radials in my Indica. Also rubber of the tyres got really hard, making the ride worst.

In the morning, first I called Exide Bat mobile, to check the battery condition. He did complete test, everything was fine except battery plates got hard. and will discharge fast if not charged regularly. Only solution to this problem was to change battery

Then I went to my well trusted Apollo Dealer in Gurgaon. Amazer, 12", for 1350 Rs each.

Old tyres were sold for 350 Rs each. So set of four costed me 4000 Rs. Stepney is still stock non radial. I am not sure if that should also be changed to radial.

Gear lock installed, Autocop, 1300 Rs. You know I live in Gurgaon. Car washed thourghly.

meanwhile battery also started charging.

Total Expense this weekend:

4300 Rs, Parts (with FIAAM Horns, Lucas Relay, 90/100 Watt Bulbs with Relay set and new holders).

800 Rs Labor (that was reduced due to the head mess up).

4000 Rs wheels

1300 Rs gear Lock

200 Rs wash

And after all that, car is still missing some time . though ride is smooth and good.

what a hectic weekend it was.
Old 1st October 2007, 12:43   #3
BHPian

hey bharat!!!!

way to go man!

sounds like the story of Rip Wan Winkle!!!

keep it running for more kms to come.

check the electricals / wiring too.
look for rusts and when you can possibly give it a paint job if needed.

post some pics here.

all the best.
Old 1st October 2007, 13:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpscars View Post
hey bharat!!!!
check the electricals / wiring too.
look for rusts and when you can possibly give it a paint job if needed.
all the best.
Though we did gave a fast look at wiring, a detail checkup is pending.

Besides on the exhaust and some other places, there not much rust around. Also Paint is if good condition, as it was laying covered with a good quality cover all the time.

I gave a it a wax rub myself yesterday.. Will post the pics soon.
Old 2nd October 2007, 03:15   #5
BHPian

@rkbharat
Nice write up! Do post some pics for us
Old 2nd October 2007, 11:59   #6
BHPian

There is a friend of mine who has a 99 model 800 which has done 13k. He bought it used a few months back. Your review reminded me of that car.

Good car. Great for a second car if usage is not much. Of course, after driving Indica, you would feel really different in the smaller 800.

When i drove that 800, more than the space the most irratating factor was the clutch - on mfpi or indica diesel, when you release the clutch, the car automatically increases the acceleration while the old 800's wont!!
Old 3rd October 2007, 09:31   #7
Senior - BHPian

On Tuesday, I went to the mechanic with missing problem, we checked lots of things and finally found air coming with petrol.

One thing suspected was lots of rust and dirt in fuel tank, so we decided to remove the tank. BTW I filled the Tank to top on monday.

While removing the tank, came another surprise. rats had done there jobs very well, and had torn away the rubber tube from tank to fuel filter from the joints.

So we just removed the tube and vola, no missing.

RPM was 900 in idle, Timing is ok.

Besides this I got the wiper replaced

Last edited by rkbharat : 3rd October 2007 at 09:42.
Old 3rd October 2007, 11:24   #8
BHPian

Great to read about the restoration of a not-so-vintage M800! It must've taught you a thing or two more about cars, up and close. I'm sure you'll love the car much more considering you've nursed it back to full health yourself.
Old 11th October 2007, 13:54   #9
Senior - BHPian

pics uploaded in gallery:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ture-1149.html

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks