Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th January 2008, 12:42   #1
Senior - BHPian

Mahindra Scorpio 2.6 Turbo

Although the general perception is that mahindras are unrelaible and high on maintainence, i beg to differ from my experiences. i have a 2003 2.6 turbo scorpio with an odometer reading of 1,45,000 km. what i love about it is it's engine. it still has that amazing performance and is also frugal. no signs of tiring here. the engine has never given us any problems till date. the only major expense we had was when it had some problem in the fuel pump due to bad quality fuel filled somewhere in the outskirts of karnataka. yes, we had small niggling problems like squeaking from the front speaker, a strange noise from the a/c and the main fuse blown out which stopped the a/c and power windows from working, simultaneously! bit all these were small issues which were sorted out promptly.
yes, the major issue was its bouncy ride (ours is the old scorpio with leaf spring at the rear) and scary high speed handling, but that is something we have got used to now.
i also have a 2.6 CRDe scorpio and even it shows no signs of fatigue after 60,000 km on its odo. personally, i love my scorpio more than my innova because of its tougher build, macho image, mean looks and of course, the engine! the innova feels tinny in comparison.
Old 6th January 2008, 14:50   #2
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by raj_5004 View Post
Although the general perception is that mahindras are unrelaible and high on maintainence, i beg to differ from my experiences.
hello raj, I beg to differ with your perception of the general perception
most people know that mahindras run forever. especially the engines. the bodywork will rust and be full of holes, the suspension will be squeaky, there will be 375 different rattles and the A.S.S will give you a pounding migraine for weeks.
BUT- the jeep will not give up. its like arnie in terminator 2- bits will be falling off, but the jeep will stand by you.
Reliability is never an issue.
Build quality is. always.

i have a 2003 2.6 turbo scorpio with an odometer reading of 1,45,000 km. what i love about it is it's engine. it still has that amazing performance and is also frugal. no signs of tiring here. the engine has never given us any problems till date. the only major expense we had was when it had some problem in the fuel pump due to bad quality fuel filled somewhere in the outskirts of karnataka. yes, we had small niggling problems like squeaking from the front speaker, a strange noise from the a/c and the main fuse blown out which stopped the a/c and power windows from working, simultaneously! bit all these were small issues which were sorted out promptly.
yes, the major issue was its bouncy ride (ours is the old scorpio with leaf spring at the rear) and scary high speed handling, but that is something we have got used to now.
the new scorpio with a different suspension setup is still bouncy and scary at high speed isnt it? i've been told its a definite improvement in handling. but whats your assessment since you have both versions with you, you are best qualified to make a statement. and what about the mHawk's handling? have you tried that? other threads on the forum were sketchy about the issue

i also have a 2.6 CRDe scorpio and even it shows no signs of fatigue after 60,000 km on its odo. personally, i love my scorpio more than my innova because of its tougher build, macho image, mean looks and of course, the engine! the innova feels tinny in comparison.

and about the braking, any bad experiences? does the tail step out while braking hard?

Old 6th January 2008, 19:36   #3
BHPian

Hi Raj ,

I own a scorpio CRde for past 6 months ... I am quite happy with the vehicle . Though you may wish for comforts of a car little more . But if you love tougher ones then Scorpio is the best bet .

I have been eyeing it for about 2 + years now but could not afford one ... I ensured that i just buy that when the time came to buy a new vehicle and convinved all in family against a Honda city, SX 4 , Innova , Logan and so on ...

To add to your point on fuel pump issue , one of my friends had a similar problem on his drive to mangalore and it was due to adultrated diesel . Any tips on long drives how you manage . I currently prefer Relaince outlets outside Mumbai .

Also Do you know of a great service centre in Mumbai for scorpio's . Also any recommendation on extra fittement or basic accessories you can share ..

Regards.. kat
Old 7th January 2008, 10:04   #4
Senior - BHPian

@ rippergeo: yes buddy, the 2.6 CRDe scorpio is still bouncy and scary, but i test drove the mHawk, its awesome! no bouncy ride and good handling, although not upto innova levels. but the mHawk is more punchy and refined than the innova, do try it, just for the fun of it! yes, in the turbo, the braking is not good. the nose dives dangerously although never has an experience of the tail stepping out!

@kartik: when i go on long trips, we perfer either turbojet or hi-speed diesel. but its better to look for nice fuel pumps rather than the company. filling up these premium diesels at a shoddy looking pump is equally dangerous. never tried reliance, is it good? i give my scorpio to global galaxy in thane. but i will rate it juat about average.
about accessories, i have fitted aura alloys, leather seats, xenon lights and a JBL system. you can go for the alloys, they look cool in a scorp. although i wont recommend the xenons.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:01   #5
BANNED

my scorpios odo is now 87,000 km..till now not even faced a single problem except the fuel guage thing which was showin wronge readings got it changed and about the fuel just use normal deisel (dont believe in all these trubo jets etc etc )

just changed the tyers to 275...road grip increased a looooooooooooot.........as well as the looks

scorpio rocks

Last edited by zenopio : 7th January 2008 at 22:10.
Old 7th January 2008, 22:18   #6
BHPian

raj ,

I have tried Reliance twice on long drives as have got know that reliance pumps are more quality controlled than PSU's . I found the fule to be good . I am just afraid that i dont hit a wrong pump and it i face similar problem .

What is the cost of Alloy's ?
Old 8th January 2008, 11:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

i bought the alloys for 26,000.
Old 10th January 2008, 17:18   #8
Senior - BHPian

i give my scorpio to global galaxy in thane. but i will rate it juat about average.
Hi Raj - you mean Global Gallerie...well that's where my beast too goes for its pedicure and manicure...! Hope to see you sometime there...
I have a black CRDe with about 45 K on the odo...have a report filed on the forum here titled Rhapsody in Black !
Old 10th January 2008, 17:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

ohhh sorry dude, i meant the global gallarie.
Old 10th January 2008, 18:05   #10
Senior - BHPian

What is the problem like?

I keep hearing about the Scorpio rear end handling problem. Can anybody tell me PRECISELY what the problem is? Is it that the backend wants to come around or does it waggle or is there loss of control upon braking or what? Yes, I know that they changed the rear suspension. But WHAT exactly is the problem and please tell me from a handling point of view or from an engineering point of view or both. I have been thing about buying one of these with four wheel drive, I would like to know more about this problem. I am also wondering if the multi-link new suspension comes on the 4x4 version and I am wondering if these link bars, torsion bars, are susceptible to breakage from off-road obstacles.
Old 10th January 2008, 18:11   #11

I am a newbie to the scorpio owner list, just about 4k on the ODO but feels good, you get used to the braking but never i repeat never try a sharp turn at 100 + kmph. the engine is good and frugal returns 11.3 currently.

Hey Raj, what are the specs on ur alloys, i just dont want to wander into a tyre shop and get ripped off
Old 13th January 2008, 21:34   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDan View Post
I keep hearing about the Scorpio rear end handling problem. Can anybody tell me PRECISELY what the problem is? Is it that the backend wants to come around or does it waggle or is there loss of control upon braking or what? Yes, I know that they changed the rear suspension. But WHAT exactly is the problem and please tell me from a handling point of view or from an engineering point of view or both. I have been thing about buying one of these with four wheel drive, I would like to know more about this problem. I am also wondering if the multi-link new suspension comes on the 4x4 version and I am wondering if these link bars, torsion bars, are susceptible to breakage from off-road obstacles.
its only prominant on the old scorpio with leaf spring setup at the rear. under hard braking, the nose dives terribly and the rear feels disconnected from the road, but atleast in my case, it has never stepped out of line. no such problems in the newer versions, especially the mHAWK is very stable.
Old 15th January 2008, 20:45   #13
BHPian

I checked out the Hawk last week at a mall at Mulund . Neat and new additions are good but from more a so a software angle , tyre pressure gauge , sensor wipers etc..

I am not too sure about the new 2.2 all aluminum engine as i could not do a test drive .

Any reviews??
Old 17th January 2008, 23:42   #14
BHPian

Hi,

I am thinking of getting a Scorpio VLX 4x4.

Do any of you have the 4wd version of the 2.6?

How does it compare with the 2wd version?

A couple of magazines have mentioned that the VLX is going to get the same Borg Warner shift on the fly setup as the earlier versions, is this accurate?

Thanks.
Old 18th January 2008, 09:55   #15
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest this for every car on the road, a turn at 100 is a complete no no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost_s View Post
but never i repeat never try a sharp turn at 100 + kmph. the engine is good and frugal returns 11.3 currently.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks