Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 30th January 2008, 11:04   #1
Senior - BHPian

Getz 1.3L 18000 kms ownership report

Exteriors
The first thing about this car that hits you in the face as you walk up to give it a closer look is its size. I'd seen a couple of Getzs zip by on the roads and was always quite fascinated by its size and road presence, for a hatchback i.e.
If you come out of the mould of Getz being a hatch back, you will find it hard to be unimpressed. The design guys at Hyundai have managed to create a rather pleasant illusion of compactness. A nice sloping front, the lean towards the back of the car, neat angular lines (much unlike the Santro), a crease that starts from the headlamps and goes all the way down the sides to the back, large, clear headlamps and one of the cutest backsides that I've seen on a hatch!

Space
Step into the car and one word springs to mind: space. I'm about 5 ft 10" tall (and slightly overweight too!) and I was able to slide into the Getz without having to watch my head or without my legs hitting the bottom of the steering wheel. Though not the tall-boy height of the Santro, the roof was high enough not to be damaging my hairstyle style while sitting. The door opens fully almost which makes getting in and getting out a breeze. I like to drive slightly stretched out (ala a rally driver) and the Getz allows me to do that and more. Push the seat back and there's more than sufficient leg room in the front. It offers a comfortable driver's seat although it is slightly lacking in under-thigh support. However, it allows you easy access to the pedals, the steering wheel, the control panel, the rear view mirrors, the glove box (slighlty streched out) and the various other storage areas towards the front of the car. Possibly the biggest design mystery to me for Getz is the exclusion of a hatch release lever next to the fuel tank release cap, near the driver's seat. I am still waiting to hear a logical explanation why the boot cannot be opened from inside the car.

Visibility is also very good with the large windshield, thanks to the larger frontage of the Getz. A-pillar blind spots - yes that is there slighlty, but its only a matter of time before you get used to that (thats the case with all cars I guess!). The car gives you a nice roomy feel overall. In fact, on a recent trip to Lonavala, the car was full with 5 people (3 in the backseat) and none of them found it stuffy or uncomfortable. And this I am talking when the driver's seat was pushed back (almost) to the max. Nor do the heads of backseat passengers touch the roof of the car. This was one positive that is definitely missing in other contemporaries. The Getz's back seat is a 1/3rd : 2/3rd split with the option of being able to recline them too. With the back seats in place, the boot capacity is evidently 365 litres and you can get close to double that because the back seats fold over double.

The only drawback that I feel is the stock headlamps are not powerful enough at night. Sometimes my wife feels that the lights are not switched on at all. I hope that explains the point!

Interiors
The next most impressive aspect of the Getz is the superior quality of the interiors. The fit and finish of the materials used on the inside of the car is quite good, although wood grain finish could have served the purpose better for a car of this price and stature. It's a sheer pleasure to just sit back and absorb the huge dashboard and the handsome control panel. The styling of the buttons, knobs (esp. the stunning gearshift knob) and AC louvres are practical and stylish, but without being too dressy. Good upholstery on the seats and on the insides of the doors, that same superior plastic for the storage compartments and utility trays lend a nice, plush feel. My last car was an Indica, so obviously I have some strong basis for comparisons here!

There's one small drawback in that the glove compartment is a small wedge-shaped affair. Overdrive surmises that that's because Getz in other countries has a passenger-side airbag and that the glove compartment is a last-minute add-on for the Indian Getz. Another drawback is that there is no trip meter and RPM meter on the console.

Drive quality
Turn the ignition and feel the Getz let out a soft purr in response. In fact, you could very well be mistaken and wondering whether she's turned over or not - the idling engine is that quiet. There's a clutch-lock facility that prevents the car from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed. Starts are therefore smoother and surer. In spite of the car's size which I was slightly unsure of to begin with (you cannot see where the car ends at the front from the driver's seat), the Getz handles quite smoothly, which makes getting used to maneuvering her a matter of a couple of minutes. She's quick and slick out of the starting block and once she gets moving, you can't help but smile on her smoothness.

Apart from being smooth, Getz is agile and hungry for action as well. On a straight stretch, you would be surprised how quickly you can glide the car in and out of traffic with ease. And to top it all, when an irritating driver behind you is flashing you for overtaking, rather than giving it way, you cna happily step on the gas and see his car blur away in the ORVM. See what I mean? I used to miss that feeling in my Indica, whereby I almost all the time had to give way to the guy behind me! The suspension feels pretty good in the front but I have heard that there is some bouncing and rolling if you're sitting in the back seat. I guess this was the most glaring fault of the car - her ability, or the lack of it rather, to handle a tough patch. But the suspension is overall good nevertheless. The gearshift is a little on the clunkier side, but that’s again something that the pleasure of driving her overcomes. The turning radius isn't as good as it should be, but I guess size/lenght of the car has to be blamed for that. The AC was pretty effective- the car was nice and cool in about 2 minutes of turning the AC on, back seat passengers included. The noise factor is pretty negligible too. Power steering feels solid and sure - not like the car's getting out of control. Sliding into a parking spot is also pretty much a piece of cake. A pleasant, noiseless and fun ride.

Conclusion
This car was a revelation for me. I had my heart set out to buy a new Getz, but was finding it hard to convince myself about the high price tag. I was almost decided to go for a Swift when I came along this nice deal on a used Getz and hence jumped onto it (I bought this car second hand when it had 17375 on the odo). It's perfect for a family of 2 as it is for a family of 4. And it does have the backing of a company that has studied and understood the Indian marketplace well enough and hence has not made many mistakes (Sonata's are an exception and that can be forgiven I feel).
Old 30th January 2008, 11:40   #2
BHPian

Very well written Nishant.
I too love the looks and character of this car.
Do mention any problems you faced and the maintainence costs as well.

Enjoy and ride safe
Cheers
Old 30th January 2008, 11:56   #3
BHPian

Is this your own long term report? I remember reading this as part of some test drive in a automagazine.

Please share your personal experience with the car.
Old 30th January 2008, 12:41   #4
Senior - BHPian

Yes these are my thoughts, view and opinions on the Getz. Thats why I have been able to compare the Getz with my own last car (Tata Indica). It cannot be called 'Initial Ownership report' since I picked up the car when it had 17375 on the odo (already mentioned in the post as well). Hence I thought of branding it as 'Long term ownership report' since technically the car has covered a good distance.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:09   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorheadinc View Post
Very well written Nishant.

Do mention any problems you faced and the maintainence costs as well.
Thanks!
The most irritating things that I find:
1. No boot/hatch release lever next to driver's seat (akin to petrol cap release lever)
2. Insufficient headlamps lighting
3. FE is low. I have been getting 8-10 kmpl during city driving in Mumbai (B2B traffic). Currently researching ways to solve it.
Old 30th January 2008, 14:29   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Getz is a fantastic hatch, and far better built than the current favorite (Swift). Greatly detailed review. Congrats on the purchase Nishant.
Old 30th January 2008, 16:36   #7
BHPian

Congratulations. Good report, NG. The Getz was and continues to be a v sexy machine...even with the newer cars out in the market.
Old 30th January 2008, 17:50   #8
Senior - BHPian

very well written Nishant...AFAIK 8-10 FE is very good for a Mumbai B2B traffic,mate.. I am also getting around 10ish in my prime 1.3L,the feel and comfort of the drive is just amazing,i love my decesion on buying the Getz.

Drive safe..cheers

Ramie
Old 30th January 2008, 18:01   #9
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations. Great choice. Its comfortable and driving feel is of a big car.

Only thing I hate about the car is the lack of enough under thigh support. I am 6' 2" tall.

I am getting mileage of 12 for my 1.3 in bangalore traffic with AC used sparingly, winter.
With AC, during summer, the mileage was 11. I have not got below 10 and happy with the FE.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:03   #10
Senior - BHPian

The stock headlights are pathetic. I got them changed long back to Philips Vision Plus. There is a thread for those bulbs. Great buy!!
Old 30th January 2008, 18:41   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
The stock headlights are pathetic. I got them changed long back to Philips Vision Plus. There is a thread for those bulbs. Great buy!!
Yes I was just browsing that thread but was not able to come to a decision.
@PatienceWins - how do you find the Vision Plus? Did you go for 60/55W or 100/90W?

I have been quoting INR 350 for Vision Plus 60/55W in Mumbai. Will most probably get them fitted on the weekend, unless TBHP changes my opinion before that!
Old 30th January 2008, 18:56   #12
BHPian

go for philips rally 100/90 you will get very good vision . stock lights are pathetic. there will be no need for any relay for 100/90.
Old 30th January 2008, 18:56   #13
Team-BHP Support

hey, nice review. now see my gallery. you might get some ideas as to what you can do to your getz.
Old 30th January 2008, 19:03   #14
Senior - BHPian

Good review but a silly koshun: You got the car at 17375 and are now writing review at 18000? or done 18k more?
Old 30th January 2008, 19:05   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Good review but a silly koshun: You got the car at 17375 and are now writing review at 18000? or done 18k more?
I am writing the review with 18200 on the Odo. Thats because I was too keen to write a review about the Getz and didnt want to wait longer

Most Viewed