Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th June 2008, 19:50   #1
Senior - BHPian

Bought a 2002 Fiat Palio 1.6 GTX - At a premium

After months of researching on internet and on T-Bhp, I had decided in going for a Palio 1.6 Stile. This was inspite of opposition from my dad on the FE front of Palio 1.6.
Had invested in the Stock market and made enough profit to pay the Downpayment, but just then the market tumbles in Jan 08.

Never mind, the principal amount was still intact. In March, the Palio MJD is Launched. Took a test drive and found it good, though no where near to the fun revving Swift with the same engine. But I wanted a Palio. MJD was the choice and Dad was fine with a Diesel hatch. Went through a few reviews, visited the showroom, chose the color (black) and the waiting period (i was told 1.5 months). Time for some money for DP.

This is what I call Fate. May 08, market again tumbles, this time there was a big hole in my portfolio. Put aside my plans for any new car and live with my 99' Santro meantime.

Call it a coincidence but I was just going through Carwale for any used Palio 1.6's in Pune. There was just one, 2003 model, 40K clogged, seller was the second owner and asking price was 1.75L. Too high.
Thought why not search in Mumbai. Found one. And this was not through any dealer. 2002 model and 16K on the Odo. Had to anyways go to Mumbai this weekend, so mailed the owner for a time to see the car. Fixed at Saturday after 16:00 ot anytime on Sunday.

My biggest worry was whether the Odo is tampered. Went through the Article 'How to buy a USED Car' on T-Bhp and also clarified a few other doubts on the forum.
I thank GTO & Takemeon for their timely replies on my doubts.

Reached the owners place at around 5:00pm and luckily it wasn't pouring in Mumbai. The car was right in front of me. Called the Owner to inform that I reached his place. Started my checks before he arrived.

First thing I checked was the Month-Year Mark on the Tyre. It was indeed 2002 and the threading was still good. So 1 point clarified that the car had actually run only 16K kms.

Next, Suspension. Found these in very good shape.

Interiors: Pristine conditions. The Dashboard color had not faded as we find most of the times due to Sunlight. All electricals, including the rear wiper, were working fine.

AC: Fantsatic cooling. Though the real test will be in Pune in the Hot Afternoons. Mumbai has high humidity and hence AC's tend to cool faster.

Took a test drive and liked the car.
Then asked owner whether it was flood affected. Yes he says (very honest. Had we not told this, I wouldn't have realised). Was in water till tyre level when floods hit Mumbai in 2006. Damage to the Starter which he changed and also changed all wiring. The car runs well thereafter.

He also pointed out to me a couple of places where it was rust. I found the owner a Genuine person.

A few places which were not good
1. A small crack of around 3 cms on the front glass, due to something which fell on it from a tree 3 years back.
2. Small places of rust behind the tyre, below the front right hand side door. Not sure what this place is called. We can see the rust when we open the door.
3. Small part of the RHS tail light had cracked.

All in All, I liked the car. I did not bargain much and agreed to the asking price. I know 2002 Palio 1.6 market value isn't more than 1.50L but this was different. Run only 16K kms and all work done in the Fiat showroom. i was happy with a little premium and freezed the deal in an hour.

Would be collecting my car coming weekend with a DD for the entire amount.

I need further advice here

1. Rust: There are small places of rust below the front doors. Will the Anti-Rust coating do fine to control the rust or do I need to get a touch up done? The car is 'Gold' color so it wont be hard to find the color.
2. Have heard a lot about K&N Filter. If I go in for the regular K&N Filter (not cyclic), will it help the Power and, if applicable, FE.
3. Any other thing required to be done on the car?

Will post pics as soon as I take delivery of car.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:02   #2
BHPian

It's difficult barganing with a seller who is honest, I went through the same thing some time back when I bought my Amby, about 40 days back to be precise. I'm not an expect and will not be able to help you with the technical quries, however what I know is the Palio 1.6 is a fantastic car to drive, and the power out put is amazing. I suggest once you buy the car, don't do much immediately if the car drives fine, drive the car for about 2000 kms, during this period you'll get to know the car much better and will have a definite plan of action about what has to be done to get it to the shape you desire. Enjoy the ride and keep us all posted with your ownership experience.
Old 30th June 2008, 20:20   #3
BHPian

hi vinit. Not taken the delivery yet. Good. As you have mentioned the rust formations here and there. Have you checked the engine bay, battery holder, engine mount, and the portion above the tyres and lastly under body. simply remove the floor mats, carpet and check. As the owner himself has genuinely mentioned that the car had been in the tyre level water. also check the door hinges. Dont take chances. The check list is long, You may feel irritated by my advice . Have you taken the test drive?? the crack on front glass, the gap just widens my friend, and replacing it is a bit costly affair. I guess by now you may think am a big spoil sport, but trust me friend have been through all the above mentioned problems when I bought my first car M800 of 1987 model. I was fully enthused only to be turned down later by these problems. Hope You found or find a good product. with best wishes
Old 30th June 2008, 20:32   #4
BHPian

vinit,

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinit.merchant View Post
I need further advice here

1. Rust: There are small places of rust below the front doors. Will the Anti-Rust coating do fine to control the rust or do I need to get a touch up done? The car is 'Gold' color so it wont be hard to find the color.
2. Have heard a lot about K&N Filter. If I go in for the regular K&N Filter (not cyclic), will it help the Power and, if applicable, FE.
3. Any other thing required to be done on the car?

Will post pics as soon as I take delivery of car.
1. I think its best to get the rust rubbed with sand paper and get a touch up done. Always best in the long run.
2. with a K&N filter, there will be a little amount of increase in power. However i dont think it so much of a necessity in the Palio 1.6, as its already loaded with a 100 horses .
3. I don't think there should be anything that needs to be done. However check if you would need to replace the tyres.

Is your car the GTX SP or just the GTX?
Old 30th June 2008, 20:41   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gods-envy View Post
vinit,

1. I think its best to get the rust rubbed with sand paper and get a touch up done. Always best in the long run.

Is your car the GTX SP or just the GTX?

It is GTX.
Gtx SP used to come with ABS right?

Also, at one place, there is a small hole due to the rust. Will rubbing and touch up work there?
Old 30th June 2008, 20:44   #6
BHPian

Man, what a deal! The used Palios are the BEST car deals in the country today (if the car is good that is). The market doesn't care, the prices are rock bottom, and the car is a gem.

I would say, hold on for a few days(say till the next payday ) and get your car ice'd. The car pretty much has everything else.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:28   #7
BANNED

Quote:
First thing I checked was the Month-Year Mark on the Tyre. It was indeed 2002 and the threading was still good. So 1 point clarified that the car had actually run only 16K kms.
Congratulations!

On a side note, when I sold my November 1999 Omni in March 2003, I still had the OEM CEAT tyres in very good condition at 42K km. The buyer did the same check as you did and then asked - did you run the car on some other set of tyres and put these back on while selling? I said no, take a look at the sidewalls which will show wear and tear.

While you look at the tread, look at the sidewall as well.

Not to be a spoilsport, but why is this seller selling?

Last edited by hrag : 30th June 2008 at 21:39.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:28   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnhegde View Post
hi vinit. Not taken the delivery yet. Good. As you have mentioned the rust formations here and there.
Have you checked the engine bay, battery holder, engine mount, and the portion above the tyres and lastly under body.
simply remove the floor mats, carpet and check. As the owner himself has genuinely mentioned that the car had been in the tyre level water. also check the door hinges. Dont take chances.
The check list is long, You may feel irritated by my advice . Have you taken the test drive?? the crack on front glass, the gap just widens my friend, and replacing it is a bit costly affair.
I guess by now you may think am a big spoil sport, but trust me friend have been through all the above mentioned problems when I bought my first car M800 of 1987 model. I was fully enthused only to be turned down later by these problems. Hope You found or find a good product. with best wishes
Had checked the engine bay and did not find any rust there.
Portion above tyres, have checked it from the outside but not deeply.
Have not checked the under body.

I am not irritated with your advice. It is most welcome.

Problem was in getting hold of a mechanic in Bombay. Though I had taken my brother along who is technically good with cars and once owned a Fiat Sienna. He said that Fiat used to manufacture submarine cars and their under body were gallonized so there is no problem with it.
I shall try to arange to get is checked once again, this time by a mechanic.

What is the cost of the front glass. My guesses are it costs less than 6k.
Old 30th June 2008, 21:39   #9
BHPian

vinit,
If you are going ahead with the car, get hold of a good painter and get the job done properly (not just holes, but every rusted part). As for K & N filter, it helps marginally. And also it depends on what type of filter you will be using in. what is the FE the seller is claiming?? And finally what is the price of the car??
Old 30th June 2008, 21:56   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
Congratulations!

On a side note, when I sold my November 1999 Omni in March 2003, I still had the OEM CEAT tyres in very good condition at 42K km. The buyer did the same check as you did and then asked - did you run the car on some other set of tyres and put these back on while selling? I said no, take a look at the sidewalls which will show wear and tear.

While you look at the tread, look at the sidewall as well.

Not to be a spoilsport, but why is this seller selling?
The tyre threads were even, sidewalls as well as the centre of the tyre.

Wants to upgrade to DZire. Was an engineer on a ship and thats the reason for less kms on Odo.

Quote:
vinit,
If you are going ahead with the car, get hold of a good painter and get the job done properly (not just holes, but every rusted part). As for K & N filter, it helps marginally. And also it depends on what type of filter you will be using in. what is the FE the seller is claiming?? And finally what is the price of the car??
FE I never asked as I am not buying it for FE. For sheer driving pleasure till Petrol is available at affordable rates .

My brother did ask him though and reply was that it was never counted till data but expect 8-9 in Mumbai.

Quote:
I guess by now you may think am a big spoil sport, but trust me friend have been through all the above mentioned problems when I bought my first car M800 of 1987 model. I was fully enthused only to be turned down later by these problems. Hope You found or find a good product. with best wishes
When did you buy the M800?

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2008 at 01:30. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the Multi-Quote feature to quote mulitple posts. Thanks
Old 30th June 2008, 23:35   #11
BHPian

Hi Vinit,
Congrats on your impending purchase of the Palio 1.6.

I just bought one myself, and enjoy the drive every time I stomp on the accelerator.

Regarding rust: Rust needs to be sanded and removed, then painted. If you just paint over, the rust will continue.

K&N filter: They do work well with high revving engines such as the 1.6 GTX unit. I debated getting a conical vs. replacement. Finally decided against the conical due to the high under hood temperatures which would lead to inhaling hot air. The stock air box has a nicely routed cold air pipe inside the driver's side front fender. So I got a replacement K&N unit.

I would highly recommend that you get this vehicle service by a good authorized service center with a diagnostic computer. If you invest the time and money to get it serviced correctly and use genuine parts, the Palio will run great.

Congrats again on your new ride,

Gaurav
Old 1st July 2008, 09:30   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Vinit,

Many many congratulations on your GTX and welcome to the '1.6 tribe'.

About the K&N, I would suggest that you go for the Green Storm. I got one myself and can safely say that it feels great. Here is the link: Green Storm in Palio S10

Enjoy the ride.. seems like it's Palio 1.6 season on t-bhp.

Also, there is a very vibrant Palio group in Pune. You can take their inputs & help. Palio Group Pune

Last edited by khan_sultan : 1st July 2008 at 09:31.
Old 1st July 2008, 11:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My biggest worry was whether the Odo is tampered. Went through the Article 'How to buy a USED Car' on T-Bhp and also clarified a few other doubts on the forum.
i went through the article but forgot everything about it when i saw the car for th first time - i bought the car with odo tampered by 53**kms (according to F.A.S.S) - & i paid more than the market value - but i have nothing to complain because i am in love with my Red Sonja

Quote:
Took a test drive and liked the car.
Then asked owner whether it was flood affected. Yes he says (very honest. Had we not told this, I wouldn't have realised).
hmmm! even my car's previous owner is also honest (to some extent) - he told me that the front door was changed since it was damaged and the spare fiat alloy wheel is bent (oh! i gotto buy one - how did i forget?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Vinit,

You said it man

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMM340 View Post
I just bought one myself, and enjoy the drive every time I stomp on the accelerator.
no comments - it feels that they are always on heat!

Last edited by planet_rocker : 1st July 2008 at 11:17.
Old 1st July 2008, 12:25   #14
BANNED

Quote:
The tyre threads were even, sidewalls as well as the centre of the tyre.

Wants to upgrade to DZire. Was an engineer on a ship and thats the reason for less kms on Odo.
I think you've misunderstood - sidewalls don't have treads. Please check the sidewalls (area where the tyre specs are imprinted) for tiny cracks - which means they were used.
Old 1st July 2008, 18:40   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag View Post
I think you've misunderstood - sidewalls don't have treads. Please check the sidewalls (area where the tyre specs are imprinted) for tiny cracks - which means they were used.
I checked this closely, since I was looking for the Month-year of tyre manufacture. Dint see any tiny cracks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khan_sultan View Post
Vinit,

About the K&N, I would suggest that you go for the Green Storm. I got one myself and can safely say that it feels great. Here is the link: Green Storm in Palio S10

Also, there is a very vibrant Palio group in Pune. You can take their inputs & help. Palio Group Pune
green storm should cost around 10K. So would postpone this expense for some later date. Will first get the few rust spots worked on with some touch up, change all liquids and install a music system.
The front glass is also in line in some 6-8 months i guess.

Last edited by aah78 : 2nd July 2008 at 01:32. Reason: Posts merged. Please use the Edit and Multi-Quote features when replying to multiple posts.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks