Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2008, 21:29   #1
BHPian

Ownership of used car ! Accent

Hi Folks,
I purchased a used Hyundai Accent , Gls manufactured in 2002 dec, registered in march '03 from an acquaintance in March '07 with 22500 km on odometer ( genuine )
Though the car was hardly used and well maintained by company ( it was with a VP of one of country's biggest business house ) , certain components sometimes reach the end of their service life and periodic inspection of the same and also service jobs as per manufacturer's manual helps one keeping your vehicle in great condition.
Today as on 24 th Aug 08 , the car has done 42700 km, and though it has not once let me down and performance and condition has been excellent , i have in due course undertaken quite a lot of preventive maintenance jobs. The car is today is in a lot better condition than the time when i got it.

List of jobs and expense incl. parts and labour -

1) Regular service
( @ < / = every 5000 km ) - 4nos. : Rs.2650/-
2) Spark plug change ( one batch of Champion @26161km &
replaced with NGK last month @ 38753 ) : Rs.850/-
3) Head lamp ( replaced a bulb ) @ 23677 km:Rs.200/-
4) replaced plug wire set ( 7mm) on 39825 k : Rs.590/-
5) Air filter change ( i do this frequently
as i shifted to LPG about 16ooo km back
total 3 sets ( stock paper OE & 2 after market malaysian - sakura & face RS.570/-
6) Front original tyres changed to tubeless last yr. : Rs. 5000/-
7) Wheel alignment and balancing contract
incl. weights for 4 sessions Rs. 2100/-
8) Rear suspension raised by means of oversized
soft mounting pads to make allowance for LPG tank additional wt. Rs.1050/-
9) Front suspension full overhaul last month
incl new struts ( Mando ) Rs. 7500/-
10) all brake service incl . both rear brake cylinder
kit replaced at 27194 km with dot 3 OIL CHANGE and front pads replaced @ 40000 km Rs. 1750/-
11) Throttle body & ISA serviced at30300 KM: rs.450/-
12) Silencer muffler full replaced from OE manuf. @39495 km Rs.6000/-
13) Changed both rear tyres to tubeless to
Accellere @ 39896 km. the original bridgestones s322 were still in good shape with quite a lot of tread depth but rubber being so old was little cracked. ( 6yrs. and 40 k and they were good for another 15 k easily but . I do not like to keep such issues pending. ( could be dangerous ....) Rs. 6500/-
14) front right winder replaced the day before
and all the glass winders greases and lubricated -rs.610/-
15) AC servicing @ 23336 km Rs. 1500/-
16) Injector cleaning @ 37467 km Rs.450/-
17) One antenna bush replaced Rs.180/-
--------------------------------------------------------------
So in effect i have spent in excess of rs.40k in about 17 months and have travelled about 20500 km to keep the car in excellent trouble free condition.
That means about Rs.2500 / month so far.
It also means that on current form i should get another 15/20 k at least without any expense other than routine service unless new things other than the ones attended to occur .
I have not included the cost of the CLOSED LOOP LPG KIT WHICH I INSTALLED @ 26400 KM , as i wanted to bring to readers attention only to expenses of ownership of used car .
And the viability of going for a used car.
If you consider the amount i have spent on maintaining her in top condition is still small compared to the depreciating loss that i bore on my last new car when i sold it.
Assuming all goes well here after and i get the pleasure of a better vehicle at the cost already incurred and get a couple of yrs.( Another 30 k maybe ...) on it before i look to dispose it , the whole effort would be more than worth the time and care rendered already.
Old 25th August 2008, 11:42   #2
BHPian

Why man why?

I'm sorry to disappoint you. I feel you should have spend the money more wisely for for better results.

1) You changed front set of tyres first, and later changed the rear set. It would have been much better if you changed all four together, that too with the same brand.

2) Rear suspension raised by means of oversized soft mounting pads to make allowance for LPG tank additional wt.

I miss the point here too. Were you trying to regain ground clearance?

3) Silencer muffler full replaced from OE manuf. @39495 km Rs.6000/-

Why?

Finally, why did you go for LPG Kit? You don't really seem to be concerned about saving money anyway. Then why compromise on performance?

If you prefer your car to be stock, then you better trust your manufacturer's guidance. Changing things as and when you feel doesn't really make your car last longer
Old 25th August 2008, 23:08   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight View Post
I'm sorry to disappoint you. I feel you should have spend the money more wisely for for better results.

1) You changed front set of tyres first, and later changed the rear set. It would have been much better if you changed all four together, that too with the same brand.

2) Rear suspension raised by means of oversized soft mounting pads to make allowance for LPG tank additional wt.

I miss the point here too. Were you trying to regain ground clearance?

3) Silencer muffler full replaced from OE manuf. @39495 km Rs.6000/-

Why?

Finally, why did you go for LPG Kit? You don't really seem to be concerned about saving money anyway. Then why compromise on performance?

If you prefer your car to be stock, then you better trust your manufacturer's guidance. Changing things as and when you feel doesn't really make your car last longer
HEY BUDDY,
i AM VERY MUCH CONCERNED ABOUT SAVING MONEY TO BEGIN WITH.

1) The original tyres were in reasonably good condition atleast from tread depth but were old ( begun to crack @ 5yrs) . changing the front only would atleast give some protection from front burst as i do lot of expressway driving.
2) Silencer muffler was torn so HAD TO BE REPLACED .

3) cAR WAS GROUNDING at slightest of excuses. The additonal lpg tank wt. apart from an ageing suspension on a car with not the most ground clearance was an excellent idea.
4) BTW Who the hell told you that performance on LPG is compromised ? hAVE YOU PERSONALLY USED IT TO ARRIVE AT THIS JUDGEMENT ?
LPg with a good kit is probly a shade better i would say. Practically no knocking and smoother delivery is my experience.......
LPG has got issues but they are more to do with long term reliability or trouble free perFormance. By no means they have anything to do with loss of performance unless you get a bad fitter or something.

i HAVE PURCHASED A 5 YR OLD USED CAR and by sharing the info with others i want to convey that to keep the car in good tight condition some amount of care has to be given and some dough has to be spent.
I am amused at the thought that you feel i am spending the money as i please. .
Its you who is missing the point here.....

I
Old 26th August 2008, 12:25   #4
BHPian

Well, it is your car and you are entitled to do whatever you wish. Since you have put it in this forum, my understanding was that you are looking for inputs from people. If you were just trying to share your gyan, please ignore my reply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHNOON View Post
3)apart from an ageing suspension on a car with not the most ground clearance was an excellent idea.
A car that has run 22500 Kms could not have an ageing suspension, unless it is abused. Secondly, a better idea would have been to go for stiffer setup that would take the additional weight.

Quote:
4) BTW Who the hell told you that performance on LPG is compromised ?
LPG has got issues but they are more to do with long term reliability or trouble free perFormance.
Guess you answered the question yourself. Performance part is debatable. To put it simple, please look at cars that have factory fitted LPG kits, say WagonR, or Cedia. Could you see any car with higher Bhp on LPG?

To make it simpler, Wagon R has 64 Bhp on petrol and 57.5 Bhp on LPG. Does that ring any bell?

Quote:
Its you who is missing the point here.
Pardon my ignorance, I don't see any to begin with
Old 26th August 2008, 12:40   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

i HAVE PURCHASED A 5 YR OLD USED CAR and by sharing the info with others i want to convey that to keep the car in good tight condition some amount of care has to be given and some dough has to be spent.
I am amused at the thought that you feel i am spending the money as i please. .
Its you who is missing the point here.....

I
It is clear that you have not taken feedback in the right spirit.

The sharing of information and knowledge in a public forum like this is done for the benefit of all of us . If you do not want feedback from others, you should not have started the thread in the first place. Atleast add a note saying that I do not require any feedback, this thread is just for your information.
Old 27th August 2008, 10:54   #6
BHPian

Hi, bro!
the front suspension overhaul was done at 41.5k kms. and it was ageing. ! from 22500 to 42700 its not been abused though . Though the person i bought it from self drove it and hardly the type to have abused ANYTHING . But its possible.....
Car was grounding at every large pothole / speedbraker , so just had THE REAR raised. A stiffer setup ? Sure but would have costed me far more apart from finding out the spares for the same. tHIS TOO was done at about 40k km.
With due respect to BHP fig. , in the real world i personally ( with my 'no gyan' ) FEEL these fig. are not that perceptible to someone who just values a reasonably good ride with good pickup and a well built tight cabin and a tight suspension.
I am hardly sharing gyan here. Only sharing what i did and doing some introspection as i write, how much of a sense a used car makes in the end after the final account . And that to me is the point here. If it come across as anything else , pardon my IGNORANCE.
But then again i am not even talking of ICE /PETE / FREE FLOWS / magwheels HERE.............. I am not even fixed and painted couple of small dents i had on the car when i bought it.I have money for trying and keeping the car running smooth and reliably.

So Pardon my ignorance and use your valuable time to tell more gyani's on the forum how to use their money.......
And well, you are d i s a p p o i n t i n g !!!

HIGHNOON is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th August 2008, 10:55   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatienceWins View Post
It is clear that you have not taken feedback in the right spirit.

The sharing of information and knowledge in a public forum like this is done for the benefit of all of us . If you do not want feedback from others, you should not have started the thread in the first place. Atleast add a note saying that I do not require any feedback, this thread is just for your information.
Thanks !
I 'll keep that in mind !
Old 27th August 2008, 16:09   #8
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am hardly sharing gyan here. Only sharing what i did and doing some introspection as i write, how much of a sense a used car makes in the end after the final account . And that to me is the point here. If it come across as anything else , pardon my IGNORANCE.
If this quote above was owing to ignorance alone, it can be pardoned.

However, this quote below from you shows a rather condescending attitude to another person, and going by the forum rules, i guess this isnt called for. You decided to post your views on a public forum, and people are entitled to pass their opinions. You can either take them, or prove your point through debate, and in such an event personal attacks are uncalled for.

Quote:
So Pardon my ignorance and use your valuable time to tell more gyani's on the forum how to use their money.......
And well, you are d i s a p p o i n t i n g !!!
Old 27th August 2008, 16:27   #9
Senior - BHPian

Chill guys, take it easy.

Hey Highnoon, nice write up about your car. I guess nothing matters as long as you're satisfied with your Accent. So, how do you find the car after converting to LPG? Which kit was it?How much did you spend on that, and did you feel any noticeable difference in performance apart from the smooth delivery that you mentioned earlier?
Old 25th September 2008, 20:29   #10
BHPian

Hi Lalvaz,

Sorry for the late reply.

Well i think my total bill was about 28k for the closed loop kit with LAMBDA feedback from STARGAS.
The performance was very good for the about 13000 km. Then some niggling problems till i replaced the spark plugs. The batch i 'd put turned out faulty and gave all sorts issues with smell , a loss of power on idle/ low RPM and FE.
But sorted out after replacing the plugs.
After that have done 5500 km. Last 5000 km have been as good as it ever was. I am satisfied with the FE and the performance now.
lets hope it remains that way.Long term reliability may be suspect on converted vehicles ..I have already recovered the kit cost done 18500 km, and the LPG prices are a little down once again. So my actual saving on fuel is on ONLY now........ Another 30 k km trouble free ride 'll be nice.

Regds,
Kedar

p.s. had written about trouble on LPG on this thread in

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technical-stuff/41700-accent-lpg-trouble.html]

Last edited by HIGHNOON : 25th September 2008 at 20:39. Reason: Had missed a word !

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks