Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th November 2008, 14:59   #16
i10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkm View Post
Hi caeZest, I have my doubts on FE of 14.5/15.5 . i10 FE is reported to be in viscinity of 10km/l only. Are u talking of city mileage? If so please share some driving tips to get the reported mileage.
I would believe the 10kmpl has got a lot to do with the kind of traffic. For instance, before my first service, I had got 9kmpl in bumper to bumper traffic for 80% of city drive. However, after the first service, and some minor changes in my driving time as well as style, I now get 14 kmpl. Computation was done tank full to tank full. I don't trust the low fuel indicator since it rarely comes up at the same time always.

On my part, the two things that I usually follow are, shift as quickly to third gear as possible and continue to stay on that in normal city traffic. This suffices well for speeds between 15 and 35 / 40. If traffic permits, I have been going overdrive on the 5th gear from 40 kmph itself. These two things have been giving me impressive mileage. All this with 100% city driving and 85% AC.
Old 19th April 2009, 22:13   #17
BHPian

Updates @23k km

Completed 23k kms this week so thought time to update the thread! Sorry about a rambling update that combines travel, DIY mods, city rants and of course the car.

Quality/Finish
Continues to please. No rattles, squeaks. Only noise is from the left ORVM. A guy on his bike is driving on the wrong side (something that still irritates me, despite being in Hyderabad for 2 years now) and swerves to avoid a parked auto. Boom, lost my ORVM glass! Fixed that but the assembly shakes. The guy at the Hyundai service centre said the whole assembly needs replacement (1.5 K). Think will explore before going that route. Repair over replacement.

Modifications and accessories
At last got fake leather seat covers. Got these at Advaith, Bangalore for 4.7K. They seem quite good, the car seems cleaner now. .

Decided to paint the top of the dashboard and the A-pillar plastic black. The beige reflects a wee bit (not as much as you would expect, as mentioned in another thread that the main thing is not too have a shiny finish), but then thats reason enough to potter around the car. Thanks to Team-BHP went the DIY way. Bought 400 series rubbing paper (very fine sandpaper, removes only paint), sheenlac thinner, black matt finish paint, 2 inch brush and .25 inch brush. Cleaned dashboard top with water, let it dry, then used the rubbing paper all over. Then mixed paint and thinner and let go! The easy part was the top, difficult part was the corners and boundary close to the glove box. After 1 hour voila! Job done, a few regions where I didn't want the paint, but overall looked OK. Waited till it dried and decided against a second coat. Removed the paint from regions where it should be. Guys go this route only if you dont want to remove the dashboard and paint. That will always have a better finish, especially if painting with a spraycan. But this is also not too bad.

Put a front windscreen film. Chose Garware as felt this was what I could afford. Heat reduction is siginificant but not wow. Guess the higher-end films would be much better at energy reduction.

Engine/brakes/gear
The gear has really smoothened out. Feels good! Engine has opened up fully. Car easily goes toPerformance has been great. Brakes continue to have enough bite.

Travel
The long trips have really been good. A trip to goa and 2 to Bangalore. The car easily climbs to 140 with A/C. Am begining to like its highway manners more and more. And that coming from a born-again 'stoic'! As mentioned in the Goa travelogue thread, car easily overtakes @130, no sweat. Handling is sweet, got a chance to stress-test it out on the Belgaum-Amoboli-Goa ghats.

Extra-time
Shifted to our new place last October, and since construction is still not complete in the apartment complex, the car got free white paint spots all over. Didn't have time to immediately remove them so they dried and hardened. Finally got time this weekend to try and remove them. Initial going was tough, soap, polish, kerosene - nothing worked. Didn't want anything stronger as was worred about the car paint peeling off or losing shine. Got lucky when I tried the sheenlac thinner - it worked. Key is to use little of it on a cloth and gently rub on the dried paint spots.

the journey continues!
Old 20th April 2009, 10:09   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
Completed 23k kms this week so thought time to update the thread! Sorry about a rambling update that combines travel, DIY mods, city rants and of course the car.

Extra-time
Shifted to our new place last October, and since construction is still not complete in the apartment complex, the car got free white paint spots all over. Didn't have time to immediately remove them so they dried and hardened. Finally got time this weekend to try and remove them. Initial going was tough, soap, polish, kerosene - nothing worked. Didn't want anything stronger as was worred about the car paint peeling off or losing shine. Got lucky when I tried the sheenlac thinner - it worked. Key is to use little of it on a cloth and gently rub on the dried paint spots.

the journey continues!
Nice report of the car, also the thinner tip would be helpful for me as I have the same problem. Does it dull the paint after use?
Old 21st April 2009, 12:50   #19
BHPian

carzest

Very good review. Abmboli ghat is a thrill to drive . Overtaking @ 130 really good.
Old 25th May 2009, 17:23   #20
BHPian

Can you provide details on your service experiences and what was done during the service? Also are there any mods done to your car? Are you driving on stocks?
Old 25th May 2009, 20:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS2024 View Post
Can you provide details on your service experiences and what was done during the service? Also are there any mods done to your car? Are you driving on stocks?
@NFS
Service experience has been mixed.
-> The first service was done at Talwar, Tolichowki. I was out of the country during this time. Don't think anything much was done - a general check, thats about it.
-> Second 'free' service was at Kun, Miyapur. Had complained about the gears not 'opening up' fully. They tried to fix this, but wasn't too satisfied. Kun has the friendliest of staff, and special attention is given to my complaints. But my feeling has always been that nothing elaborate is done 'technically'! Car always arrives gleaming from the place though! . First oil change done. No synthetic, still default oil.
-> Quick paid service at Advaith, Ring Road. This was after a Bangalore run. Asked them to do a quick check for brakes, clutch play, underbody damage etc. Quite satisfied with the work.
-> Third 'free' service was at Talwar, Tadbund. The guy gives me just 5 minutes. Quickly jots down all what I say. Request for injector cleaning, brake check, fixing my fog-lamp switch, tightening of the hand-brake lever, . Hmm! When I go back in the evening, car is not ready. This despite calling him and then going there. Wait for half an hour. Drive away muttering about not coming back to this place, but 5 minutes and I'm like "Oh boy!". Gear has been worked on despite me not saying anything. Feels great. Engine feels really smooth.

No major mods, car is stock. Only changes are:
-> Replaced the stock hella horn with Roots windtone
-> Replaced the stock tyres with Michelin XM1
Old 28th July 2009, 19:31   #22
BHPian

Completed 30K kms yesterday on the i10 1.1 magna. Nothing new to report, just a few points:

-> No rattles, no squeaks. Build quality continues to charm!

-> Switched to Shell Ultra Helix 15W50. Had a can from my Santro days. Checked for filming, inconsistent flow but the oil though old, seemed fine. Poured it right in after changing the oil filter. As expected, car feels smooth and refined. Car feels on extra vitamins (not steroids though!). There is a downside though, FE has come down a wee bit. Since nothing else has changed I suspect the oil. Next change will be a XW40 oil.

-> Steering has loosened up and this EPS thing is something I will always find annoying. Sure its a boon in the city and all that, but the longing for a HPS unit is always going to be there! Peer-pressure made Hyundai to switch and me no like.

All in all hassle-free, fun and a few dents. 30K kms completed, the journey continues.
Old 28th July 2009, 22:40   #23
BHPian

Hi carZest

It is good to know that your i10 is rocking. Could you please take some snaps of your car's dash which you have painted black and post it in your thread. Even I am contemplating doing that but don't have an idea how it would look like. If you post some pics then it might be of great help to me.
Old 30th July 2009, 19:06   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi carZest

It is good to know that your i10 is rocking. Could you please take some snaps of your car's dash which you have painted black and post it in your thread. Even I am contemplating doing that but don't have an idea how it would look like. If you post some pics then it might be of great help to me.
@sabsubs - sure! will do that over the weekend.

@mods - request you to modify the thread title to "my i10 magna - 30K kms update"
Old 30th July 2009, 21:48   #25
Senior - BHPian

great review carzest! I'm also looking forward to seeing photos of the painted dashboard.

cheers
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:53   #26
BHPian

Whoa. Re-painted dashboard. Haven't heard about somebody doing this before.

Awaiting the pics.
Old 2nd August 2009, 21:01   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabsubs View Post
Hi carZest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandhi View Post
Whoa. Re-painted dashboard. Haven't heard about somebody doing this before.

Awaiting the pics.
Here are some samples of non-beige dashboard i10.
Attached Thumbnails
My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report-hyundai_i10_interior.jpg  

My Hyundai i10 Magna - 30000 km ownership report-hyundai_i10_interior_small.jpg  

Old 2nd August 2009, 21:21   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
Here are some samples of non-beige dashboard i10.
Hey, these are factory fitted dashboard, which are sold in European countries I believe. BTW can we get black colour dashboard for i10? Initially I liked the beige coloured dash but now I feel that it is too gaudy. Has anyone fitted black dash to i10? If yes then please share the info as well as the cost of the dash.
Old 19th January 2010, 18:58   #29
BHPian

update: 38k KMS completed

Completed 38K kms on the i10 1.1 magna.
-> Still no rattles, no squeaks.
-> Tyres showing signs of wear. Sigh, money will need to be spent.
-> Top-end grunt still strong
-> Few more dents, and one side door-guard (rear left) falling off. Will get denting done, since it seems de rigeur to have a dent-free, gleaming car. Hmm, I'm begining to dread going to the A.S.S, with the "poor driver kinda stares" I get .

Thats all, life goes on.

I read a few posts that the i10 is a limited-km wonders with apparently only 'beige interiors' its USP. Very distinguished BHPians, albeit most never having owned a Hyundai, have given their insightful inputs. Should I be worried? Is my car suddenly going to seize and disintegrate? Where should I start looking? The engine seems like its thirsting for thousands of kms. The body doesn't even rattle. Speeds of 13x are easily reached, with no danger to me, the road (when cars disintegrate you have carbon deposits on the road) or the people on the road (flying debris).

Should I keep an eye on the engine, pistons, shockers, struts, calipers, hoses...? Nah, I think I'll keep watching the road, this car is going to go a bit (touchwood!).
carZest is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2010, 09:40   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by carZest View Post
I read a few posts that the i10 is a limited-km wonders with apparently only 'beige interiors' its USP.
Nah, I think I'll keep watching the road, this car is going to go a bit (touchwood!).
Nice one - had me laughing for a while. Good to see that you are having a nice trouble free ownership. Mine has also nearing 20K and still feels fresh.
Note that in other markets i10 has replaced santro. In India we do see both the products selling side by side and having that choice, a comparison is bound to be drawn. No doubt santro is an excellent car, but I feel that i10 takes engineering, space and comfort to the next step. It might not be a perfect car but as an overall package it stand much better than santro IMHO.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks