Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th December 2008, 22:16   #1
BHPian

Indica Vista Quadrajet Aura - long term running report

i have finally got down to opening the long term review thread after the thread in Initial Ownership forum!

till date I have completed more than 3800 kms on the Vista since the purchase on the 26th of September. The first service has been completed at 1100 kms and the next one is inching closer at 5000 kms. after that, the 3rd service is at 10000 kms (or 1 yr) and 4th at 20000 (or 2 yrs)! so my paid service would start only in the third year of ownership (or at 30000 kms). quite a feel-good change from my old V2 which had a 5000 km/3 month service interval.

experience till now has been fabulous! doesnt feel like I am driving a Tata vehicle. relatives/friends who snickered when they saw me go for Tata again have been silenced. i need not state again that the V2 ownership experience (5 years) has been very good and Tata A*S*S was excellent too. this played no small part in making me buy from Tata again.

The best thing about fiat's quadrajet engine is the driveability. Tata has tuned it for a higher torque (19@1750rpm) than that of Swift D and Palio MJD all of which share the same engine. This has made it a boon to drive in heavy traffic i enounter daily.

the smooth gear box (from Fiat again) is a revelation. most of my in-city driving is done in the third gear. the third supports a speed range from just below 20kmph upto little more than 40kmph within the 1000 to 2000 rpm band. this is perfect in slow moving traffic where I can navigate without once using the clutch. for more crowded roads, the second gear is sufficient to drive between 5kmph to 20kmph. these speeds keep the car between 1000 and just above 2000 rpm - thereby ensuring fuel economy too. even on occassional 4th gear drive, i never got a chance to cross 55-60 kmph.

sometimes my left foot rests for so long in traffic, I feel i am driving an automatic!

coming to FE, it has been very satisfying with promise of more to come after 2nd service. prior to first service I was getting around 14kmpl. after that its giving me between 16.5 to 18kmpl every week. once it returned 19.6 kmpl! all this with 100% A/C and in 100% city conditions. A high way run (the drive to Bidar) returned an astounding 23kmpl! (FE calculated in tankfull to tankfull method)

till a few weeks back my Vista enjoyed an exclusivety on the roads and in the first week I even saw someone taking a photograph on their cellphone from a passing car! now a days I see more on the road and losing the exclusivety factor.

here are answers to some question Harry10 has asked in the other thread:

Quote:
Could you also tell me the gear ratio changes and driving style as well.
i think i hae given some of it above. I am more or less a defensive driver considering that most of my driving is in crowded city conditions where I rarely get a chance to go to 4th gear, forget about 5th! the gear ratios are perfect for this with excellent torque to help me.

Quote:
Could you tell me the brake up of first service and did they gave you any estimate how much will be an average service cost?
first service cost me nothing and the next three are free too, except for the oil change at 3rd and 4th service (i am planning to change oil at 2nd too).

only thing I feel could have been better are the brakes which are good in the city but not confidence inspiring at high speeds. ABS would also help.

my wife has taken to the car in a big way! she loves driving it and finds it heavenly after driving the V2 for so long. she also loves the seat height adjustment that enables her to drive without sitting on a cushion (as she did on the V2).
Old 11th December 2008, 22:24   #2
BHPian

Congrats again for the car, CtrlAltDel! Good to hear about the excellent fuel economy returned. Wishing you many more happy kms of driving!
Old 11th December 2008, 23:03   #3
Senior - BHPian

Thanks CAD for remembering my Q's
Yeah i also found brakes a bit less when i TD it few days back.

Yesterday i drove Swift VDi for more than 50kms on a go first time and i must say the brakes are not confidence inspiring after 100 in both VISTA and Swift, however the only difference is as Vista is a bit heavy the person feels bit more confident in doing high speeds.
Still ABS should be a MUST in both of these(VDI i drove didnt had ABS).
Anyways the FE figures are excellent. Keep rocking!

I was thinking of getting this but with the leaked specs of Linea my heart has gone to it,if the Linea is not priced correctly then am back to Vista(as i20 i feel will be quiet delayed).

Last edited by harry10 : 11th December 2008 at 23:05.
Old 11th December 2008, 23:17   #4
Senior - BHPian

LOL, I should wrap up 5000km this weekend and was thinking that its a little premature for the long term report! And my car came on 20th Oct.

PS: Very nice that no nicks till date :(
Old 12th December 2008, 00:43   #5
BHPian

nice review my wifes vista qjd just compleated 1st service at 1500 kms will wait till 5000kms to write long term running report both of us are very happy with the car so far
Old 12th December 2008, 10:11   #6
Senior - BHPian

that is an impressive FE figure
happy to hear that all Vista owners are happy with the car.

any plan for up-sizing wheels?
Old 12th December 2008, 10:17   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
i have finally got down to opening the long term review thread ....

till date I have completed more than 3800 kms on the Vista since the purchase on the 26th of September. .....

. 3800 Kms and this is a long term report. !!. What would it be when you have done 10K, 20K, 40K..?

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
... I should wrap up 5000km this weekend and was thinking that its a little premature for the long term report!...
he he he.. well someone beat you to it buddy.
Old 12th December 2008, 12:15   #8
BHPian

heh heh

i know 3500+ is not exactly long term, but I found it odd continuing to post in the "Test Drives & Initial Ownership" section when I have long surpassed that stage!

consider this the beginning of the really "looooong" term report @10, 20, 40K n above!

@Latheesh: no upsizing because it will affect the warranty. Am planning on Alloys at the next opportunity though.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:05   #9
Senior - BHPian

Sultan ji,

Bang on. I don't intend to post a thread before 10k - though at current run rates, I should touch it by Feb 1, 80% chance

I was only considering since I've still been strongly advocating Palio/cribbing about the toy-ish feel of the VDi so some guys asked to post experience! Honestly, in my book, 10k is when things actually settle down and post 30k is when troubles emerge so long term ownership becomes a consideration!

That said, CAD's report is key because his is the first such Indica Vista - and his feedback has been quite candid and regular. Ofc, if VDi owners started such reports, I'd much rather yawn/mute the thread in my user panel

PS: Sarkar, how to go offroading on the VDi - the approach angle is non-existent :( What I have in mind is rocky inclines up a hill - unpaved but rocky level-ish track.
Old 12th December 2008, 23:17   #10
BHPian

16 to 18 kmpl in city is wonderful !!! Congrats again, and enjoy your rides.
rgds, Venu.
Old 14th December 2008, 13:16   #11
BHPian

CAD, was looking forward to your report. Good to see a satisfied Tata customer like you. I too feel Tata should intorduce ABS and other safety kit soon, that too in all variants and not just the top end version.

OT: I like your signature, Jiyo Tata mate!! Just a small suggestion, why dont you also add Future: Jaguar XF to your signature!! My wholehearted wishes with you so that you get one
Old 14th December 2008, 23:22   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
CAD's report is key because his is the first such Indica Vista...
heheh...yeah the willing guinea pig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt
ust a small suggestion, why dont you also add Future: Jaguar XF to your signature!! My wholehearted wishes with you so that you get one
yay! thanx! but I like to take it nice n easy! maybe my next would be Linea or Indigo Vista....

btw, I TD'ed the petrol Vista Safire yesterday (report in the New Indica Vista thread). quite capable commute car, not really zippy but very pleasant and comfortable to ride through traffic. best of all, the fully loaded top end 'Aura' costs just 4.32L (on road, hyderabad)!!! My uncle is looking for a petrol car and I recommended it to him.

btw, i also purchased a wheel cap for my quadrajet at the showroom yesterday. cost me 350/-. I had lost the cap on the from left wheel during the ride to Bidar few weeks ago.

I have to upgrade to alloys but that might not be sooner because of budget issues. till then I have to make do with the wheelcaps on steel wheels.

I am also interested in installing broader 14" tyres in future when I go for alloys. i know it will improve braking while marginally reduce FE but I want to know if it would affect anything else in the car (suspension etc). this not a size upgrade - i am not thinking about 15" lower profile tyres. I only want broader tyres for better grip. i was told by a few people that it wont affect the warranty (will have to confirm this officially).
Old 15th December 2008, 14:48   #13
Senior - BHPian

"sometimes my left foot rests for so long in traffic, I feel i am driving an automatic"

Well said CAD, it is these spontanous remarks that show how you really feel bout the car. In this case you have brought out the huge versetality of the Vista's gearing. Thanks for the info and yes the ownership experience was a little premature but considering so few ppl have this car it was worth the thread.
thanks. waiting for the FE after a lonigsh drive.
Old 15th December 2008, 15:18   #14
BHPian

Nice report.

Good to know the effeciance and great FE of Indica Vista

Wish you happy and safe drive
Old 15th December 2008, 21:08   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
btw, I TD'ed the petrol Vista Safire yesterday (report in the New Indica Vista thread). quite capable commute car, not really zippy but very pleasant and comfortable to ride through traffic. best of all, the fully loaded top end 'Aura' costs just 4.32L (on road, hyderabad)!!! My uncle is looking for a petrol car and I recommended it to him.
I too think the Safire will make a terrific city car. At that price it is indeed excellent value. If only TML provide ABS/airbags at a marginal increase in cost!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks