Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Long-Term Ownership Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 03:22   #16
BHPian

Astra ride quality is unmatched ! Had one for 2 years...till I frazzled the engine by driving hard while my radiator was leaking. Also, the comfort level is still unmatched by any sedan < 10 L. Anyone reading, secondhand astras are very very cheap......buy it and you'll have the best car < D segment by far for A segment money honey
Old 27th September 2009, 15:56   #17

Got an offer for a 2000 Opel Corsa 1.4 GLS - Rs. 75,000/-

Hi there guys,

This is my first post after joining Team-BHP and I'm absolutely delighted to be here. The site is fabulous and really informative for junkies like me, who don't have ready access to such knowledge.

I am looking for a second car and plan to buy an used car. I'll primarily be using the car for local running of around 400km and highway 600km per month. So mileage is not the major factor. I plan to keep the car for 2 years and sell it before going on my next posting.

After going through Team BHP, I settled upon getting a Baleno. Now while looking around, I've come across a 2000 Opel Astra 1.4 GLS. The details are given below: -

Details
Year of Manufacture - 2000
Kilometres logged - 129,600
Owner - Individual, Second, Self/ Driver driven
Registration - Individual, Ambala, Haryana
Asking price - Rs. 75,000/-

Pros
- Well-maintained, serviced by a local garage (but not of GM)
- locally driven,
- 3rd party insurance till May 2010, will be transferred on sale.
- Smooth to drive (took a test drive of around 30 kms on highway + potholed roads). There seem to be no problems with the suspension, brakes, acceleration, engine and headlights.
- Radiator and Battery have been changed at 120,000 kms.
- No rusting of the under body or around the bolts.
- Documentation is complete
- Present owner is a reliable gentleman and comes recommended.

Cons
- Tyres - One worn out rest will have to changed in 5,000-10,000 kms.
- Windscreen - damaged; needs to be replaced.
- Side Rear-view Mirror - Broken; to be replaced.
- Rear Light - Cracked with a inch-wide hole; needs replacing.
- Wheel alignment - needs to be done as body roll and vibration at speeds overt 100 kmph.
- AC switch has been locally modified (but I think it is a common problem in Corsa) and works fine.

Doubts/ Queries
- Should I go in for this car, if so at what price. (I've used the calculator on CarWale (thanks to TBHP) and got a price estimate of 101,000 - 110,000 whereas on Gaadi.com, I've got it as 60,000-65,000). I was planning on giving an offer of Rs. 65,000/- as the repairs will cost around Rs. 10,000/- (??)
- Should I show the car at a GM service centre or will a local mechanic suffice.
- Any major problems I should be aware of.
- Will the usage of approx 130,000 kms cause a problem in the future.
- Any other options in lieu of this car which I should consider.

I'm really confused as to whether to go in for this car or not and if so at what price. Hope that you guys are able to help me out. Thanks in advance. I hope that this post is not off-topic. If so, please pardon the same.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:44   #18
Senior - BHPian

the opel is a great car if mileage is not one of your worries. but look at heavy prices of spares, it will burn a hole in your pocket.

but rest assured, you wont get a better car for 60-70,000.
Old 27th September 2009, 20:53   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmetarantula View Post
After going through Team BHP, I settled upon getting a Baleno. Now while looking around, I've come across a 2000 Opel Astra 1.4 GLS. The details are given below: -......
Doubts/ Queries
- Should I show the car at a GM service centre or will a local mechanic suffice......

Go for the Baleno - just cannot compare to a 2000 Corsa! But then i'm biased!

Get an estimate from GM, you'll see an estimate of at least 30 k for the problems you've listed.
This car will never be reliable.
Old 27th September 2009, 21:11   #20
BHPian

@Adya33 - GM India has launched Opel exchange programme for existing Astra and Corsa customers (Overdrive, Sept 2009). Under this limited period buy back scheme all the Opel owners can exchange their vehicle with any of the new Chevy models. May be this is a good option for you.
Old 27th September 2009, 21:12   #21
BHPian

Great to hear about a Great Car after much time. I've owned an Opel Astra for about 6 years before departing. Not because any problem with the Car, but with the attitude of the Service Centre - Read Sundaram Motors in Bangalore.

Till Garuda was there as an authorised dealer and service, I'd absolutely no problem with the Vehicle and I've received good support from this Dealer. In 2008, Garuda switched to Maruti - So, it's a great loss to GM in Bangalore.
Old 27th September 2009, 21:13   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddiwale View Post
@Adya33 - GM India has launched Opel exchange programme for existing Astra and Corsa customers (Overdrive, Sept 2009). Under this limited period buy back scheme all the Opel owners can exchange their vehicle with any of the new Chevy models. May be this is a good option for you.

It's not any of the Chevy Model, BUT only OPTRA Magnum (Petrol or Diesel)
Old 27th September 2009, 21:17   #23
BHPian

Congratulations adya33 for your Opel.

It was one of the best looking cars on Indian roads, according to me. With superb handling and ride, there was no peer. I wanted to own one but settled for a Cielo.

Unfortunately both cars had untimely demise due to various reasons.
Old 28th September 2009, 08:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Around 10 years back the Astra was my dream car. At that time there were three cars gunning for the top slot.

OHC, Lancer and the Astra!
Astra always used to stand aloft for me!
Old 28th September 2009, 08:46   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
[/left]

Go for the Baleno - just cannot compare to a 2000 Corsa! But then i'm biased!

Get an estimate from GM, you'll see an estimate of at least 30 k for the problems you've listed.
This car will never be reliable.
Filcord, what is it with Baleno? I feel it is just an over-priced car that carries medival design *no offence ment -> I know there are a few blaeno lovers/freaks here in this forum, but this is just my point of view*.

For the price of a preowned Baleno you can go for cars like OHC, accent or any other car.
Old 28th September 2009, 17:05   #26
GTO
Team-BHP Support

@ callmetarantula, please avoid the 1.3 lakh km Astra with a barge pole. She would require a whole lot of work from time to time, parts are expensive and not easy to source either.
Old 29th September 2009, 11:32   #27

Thanks

Thanks a lot to everybody for the advice.

Quote:
@GTO please avoid the 1.3 lakh km Astra with a barge pole. She would require a whole lot of work from time to time, parts are expensive and not easy to source either
That's what I too thought about it. Especially the cost of spares & maintenance.

Quote:
Get an estimate from GM, you'll see an estimate of at least 30 k for the problems you've listed. This car will never be reliable.
Have tied up with the local GM service centre to get the vehicle checked. Will let you all know the results. Thanks again.
Old 5th October 2009, 16:12   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MutantX View Post
Filcord, what is it with Baleno? I feel it is just an over-priced car that carries medival design *no offence ment -> I know there are a few blaeno lovers/freaks here in this forum, but this is just my point of view*.

For the price of a preowned Baleno you can go for cars like OHC, accent or any other car.
Hey, them is fighting words pardner!
But seriously, okay you could talk of the OHC in the same genre as the Baleno, but the Accent? Please!
Try a good, well maintained baleno, and see if you maintain your opinion. Cosmetics are not what I look for in a car anyway, that's just the frosting on the cake.
Old 17th December 2010, 21:45   #29
BHPian

Re: Opel Astra

Sadly, a decently maintained/owned Astras are just as hard to come by as bumping into Katrina Kaif on the main road every other day.

Having owned an Astra 1.6 GL (and still owning) for around 6 odd years now it goes without saying that it was one of the better cars to have graced our beloved country. It gave a common man (read - one with bank balance not condusive to shell out 25 odd lacs, 10 years ago on an E-220) a feel for proper German engineering.

I got mine 2nd hand for around INR 100,000 and forked out approx INR 250,000 to make it 98% up to the mark. This involved replacing the gear box, clutch plates, brake discs, radiator, silencer and many many other things too lengthy to be listed here. It now lives with a metallic blue/gray Audi shade (Standox). However, the end product is even if the car is left untouched for 3~4 months the car still starts on half self (a mystery, which was and perhaps is still an enigma for my friendly ex-Opel dealer).

So to summarise, if you can get hold of one with NZR engine or even better the multi-port engine/CLUB i would say go for it. But only if you desire her truly, because she can be demanding and arguably deserves the best attention you can bestow upon her.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks