Team-BHP - Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Long-Term Ownership Reviews (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/)
-   -   Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-term-ownership-reviews/54392-tata-safari-dicor-2-2-lx-vtt-tmt-magnificient-tourer-first-2-2-t-bhp-16.html)

@ adc: point us to your latest Arunachal travelogue.We are unable to find it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhaduri (Post 1669462)
@ adc: point us to your latest Arunachal travelogue.We are unable to find it.

Shantanu, the travelogue has not been posted or even started. Some pics of Safari VTT-TMT is on page 130-131 of Safari pics thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...lease-130.html

Of course, as pointed by Sen, would finish the Orissa-Chattishgarh travelogue this weekend and start the Arunachal one soon next week.

Good to hear from you too, would be meeting up again soon.

@adc: i am off to Delhi for a week.Shall be back by 15th Jan.Looking forward to meet you upon returning.Come with your family this time.

@adc.I am back now. Nice to see your TMT coming back to life.So how was the expereince>Sorry couldn't respond as you know the reason. So the TMT is on the road conquering and munching the miles.

With 45k km coming up, TMT-VTT goes to TASS station for 3rd service. Some of the things that has to be sorted out other than what needs to be done per the manual are:

1. The krr noise, which came out with the engine change. - 90 mm EGR needed.
2. One dashboard noise.
3. A pull to the right. One TASS said, this was due to the steel rims and/or tyres. I have tubeless on the orignal steel rims and they not uniform, taken up much abuse in the travels. I had previously asked the TASS to change tyres from another Safari to see if actually it due to the bent steel rims - will follow through that process. If its not due to the steel rims, TASS would have to give back with the problem solved.
4. Wiper nozzle jet throwing water totally in another direction. The nozzle jet has to be set.

Well as 2.5 years of ownership comes up, its time for another celebration ride may be. With son's summer holidays around mid May - some short travel sure is happening.

TATA SAFARI Dicor Journeys done till now from October 2007 to April 2010 - truly The Magnificent Tourer!

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 1290711)
1. North Bengal Forest and Hill [LAVA-LOLEGAON-KALIMPONG[DELO]-SUNTALEKHOLA-JHALDA/BINDU-MURTI-KHUNIA/CHAPRAMARI/GORUMARA FOREST]

2. Orissa's unknown Forests [KULDIA-SATKOSIA-BANGRIPOSI] [ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-part-1-a.html --and-- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-part-2-a.html ]

3. Santiniketan
4. Haldia and Geonkhali
5. Kendugari and Hatibari [West Medinipur Forests]
6. Pathra, Midnapur
7. Digha/Mandarmoni
8. Panchaligheswar and Khumkhote Tank, Orissa
9. Monsoon Tour, 2008- I, PURULIA - MURGUMA, KAIRABERA AND CHORIDA [W Bengal]
10. Monsoon Tour 08 - II, Gadiara [West Bengal]

11. KINNAUR, SIPTI, LAHAUL [ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ti-lahaul.html ]

12. Discovery of Secret Beach and Orissa Remote forests, Sunabeda and Debrigarh - [ http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-sunabeda.html ]

13. Garphanchokot, West Bengal
14. Dalma Wildife Sanctuary, Jharkhand

15. REMOTE NORTH SIKKIM HIMALAYAS TO BAY OF BENGAL SEA BEACH [MANDARMONI & TAJPUR]
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/trave...ni-tajpur.html [SAFARI DICOR VTT-TMT GRAND 1.5-YEAR OWNERSHIP CELEBRATION]

16. Chasing Solar Eclipse, Taregna, 22/09 -->> Kol-Kodarma-Patna-Taregna-Patna [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ga-patna.html]

17. Along the Forgotten Trail- Silk Route-East Sikkim [Pedong-Rishi-Aritar-Zuluk-Jelepla] - [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...-jelepla.html]

18. Kuldiha Forest resvisited. [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...l#post1775228]

19. Default Safari Dicor VTT-TMT 2-yr Grand OT[Interior Chhattisgarh/Orissa - Tribals,Falls & Forest] -- http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...ls-forest.html

20. Safari VTT-TMT Exotic Tour - Known and Unknown Western Arunachal and Nameri[Assam] http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travel...eri-assam.html

21. Satkosia Forest revisited. [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l#post1723587]

22. Buxa Tiger Reserve and Chilapata Forest, N Bengal-Bhutan border [http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...l#post1823091]

And these words still remain true after 2.5 years of ownership.
Quote:

Safari VTT-TMT has seen it all in these 2.5 years much beyond what its odometer [45k servicing coming shortly] would signify - from no roads to concrete expressways - and has brought us back to safety, home and/or the hotel base, safe and sound each and everytime without fail.

The space and comfort of sofa driving, the endless cruisability, and the fantastic torque and ground clearence - has made me make a journey of all terrains in this 2wd. And to thank Tata Motors to make me just stretch and afford something like a big-sized SUV for 7.2 L ex-fac!! - otherwise I would be driving up a sedan or hatch till now.

So are we not glad that we chose the Safari 2.2 VTT over other products - You bet we are!!!

Four photos that could be here also in this ownership thread - and of course a whole lot are there in the travelogues and in the garage photo list.
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp-img_6383.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp-img_7261.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp-img_5160.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp-img_0940.jpg
Tata Safari Dicor 2.2 LX VTT-TMT [The Magnificient Tourer] - the first 2.2 on T-Bhp-img_4935.jpg

adc, I am little confused.

45k on the odo in 2.5 yrs, with the kind of travel on your beast isnt it less.

Also, wondering 3rd service, thats it ! I guess you are counting the service done in Bihar too which caused change of engine on your beast.

Pictures, well, please keep my request in mind, if possible, can you take some videos of the terrains you drive on, like the one in the lake above. Would like to learn how you get in and get out of such tough terrains.

ADC,

:thumbs up Way to go!

Quote:

Originally Posted by tanwaramit (Post 1873820)
...45k on the odo in 2.5 yrs, with the kind of travel on your beast isnt it less...

Same question!

Quote:

...Also, wondering 3rd service, thats it ! I guess you are counting the service done in Bihar too which caused change of engine on your beast...

His 2.2 follow the older service intervals, so just 3rd free service. And he also does his own intermediate service at every 7.5k multiples.

Quote:

Also, wondering 3rd service, thats it ! I guess you are counting the service done in Bihar too which caused change of engine on your beast.

Well AFAIK that service was not in Bihar , Why so much of negative opinion on Bihar that subconcious mind associate it with anything wrong :-) ,

I am not a Bihari though but some change is required in the way we percive things :-)

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyWheels (Post 1874019)
ADC, Same question!

The Safari has been used mostly in the tours and travels. I work from home, wife takes the Metro, kid goes by school bus. Other than that if within city and kid not going along, it is on the Bullet.

For all the 22 items listed out there, if we break it up it comes to this [approx]

2000+2000+500+500+500+200+400+800+1000+200+6000+40 00+500+800+3000+1500+2000+1000+3800+4000+1500+2000 = 38200 == 38,500 km

Right now the odo is around 44,000 km.

And this gives a amazing figure like - 88% of the odometer mileage has been on travel.

Thus, city travel in all these 2.5 years is like 5000 km or so. Getting myself a Safari and in the home run of the EMIs [they end in October] and with all the travel and due to some uncertain thing happening, we are way down in funds. VTT mostly goes out nowadays only in travel times or twice a month to a good food restaurant - this I have not been able to control. In these 2.5 years, it has gone to a mall just once.

To tell in summary, if VTT was also used for office travel and groceries and all - it would have been in the 60-65k km range.

Quote:

Quote:

His 2.2 follow the older service intervals, so just 3rd free service. And he also does his own intermediate service at every 7.5k multiples.

Yes, Safari VTT-TMT has this service schedule till now -

1. 1st service at 1k km at Siliguri, WB

2. 2nd service at 15k km at Solan, Himachal

3. 3rd service at 30k km at Patna, Bihar

4th service is coming up at 45k km.

Voluntary service done by myself of oil, oil filter is at 5.5-7.5 k km.

Quote:

Pictures, well, please keep my request in mind, if possible, can you take some videos of the terrains you drive on, like the one in the lake above. Would like to learn how you get in and get out of such tough terrains.

Tanwar, in some of the travels we are alone. So wife is the child and I am driving, so what pictures are there are like standing as there's noone to click from outside or record a video. A few snaps that shows the VTT in action are those have been clicked by my friend/friends who accompanied us - tell them like "Get down, click some pics of the vehicle, after all it has brought you all till here" - it is more of a pep talk as no one wants to get down in the mud or the stream water to click the Safari doing its thing.

As for going in and coming out, I take chances if there is a like a slim chance with a 2wd. Getting down and seeing the track is very important before going through. I normally do that but did not do such in that Chhattisgarh snap [the last but one snap] - the embankment looked like morram, but in actuality it was slate like mud - almost slid down in the rice fields - we only know how we escaped from there. So, if in unfamiliar territory, get down and walk at least some part of it.

Each terrain has a fault line, if one can place the rear tyre/tyres along a particular stone or something for grip, even for a second, controlled torque manages the rest. But then sand or deep mud has no fault lines or whatever be the funda, a 4wd is absolutely necessary. This from my experience and may be just too much analysis - just go out and drive, everything will fall into place!

This video is only one I have till now - taken by a friend.

YouTube - KULDIHA MUD STUCK SLIDE

Quote:

ADC,

:thumbs up Way to go!

Thanks much.

Quote:

Originally Posted by amitk26 (Post 1874023)
Well AFAIK that service was not in Bihar , Why so much of negative opinion on Bihar that subconcious mind associate it with anything wrong :-)

Tanwar just got the dates wrong, dont think he meant like that. In fact Bihar has improved quite a lot - it is Jharkhand that spiralling down fast.

In fact the 3rd service at Patna was great. It was done at service station which just opened a month back and they took great care and followed due diligence for the 3rd service.

The fiasco happened in a service station of KB Motors, Kolkata, the dealer from whom I bought the Safari. It was gross negligence.

@adc: Its nice and encouraging to see you satisfied with your ride after all this while.:thumbs up

:Shockked: So many trips in just 2.5years.We envy your job profile.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbhaduri (Post 1874729)
So many trips in just 2.5years.We envy your job profile.

It sure is, but too many things we have "left out" in the last 4-5 years to travel like this and see the length and breadth of this country, but till now - absolutely no regrets.

Of course know that I cant go on like this, one more year max and I will be back to the regular 1 big trip a year and 1 small trip a year. Plus in another may be 8-10 years, my active driving years will be coming to close - a night journey would be like an expedition at those ages!

BTW, how is Kingshukt doing on the highway? Do sure sms/call me when he is out here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 1874250)
The Safari has been used mostly in the tours and travels......

2000+2000+500+500+500+200+400+800+1000+200+6000+40 00+500+800+3000+1500+2000+1000+3800+4000+1500+2000 = 38200 == 38,500 km

Right now the odo is around 44,000 km.

And this gives a amazing figure like - 88% of the odometer mileage has been on travel.

This figure looks very much like my Safari's. In my case travel would come up at approx 75%. With my odo at 43500 and going in for the 45k service on Tue.
Great going Adc.
But I disagree with your view about being unable to do this as you age. I think its all in the head. My dad at 67 still trips with me, and I have learnt from looking at him that age is in your head first. Ofcourse youve got to keep your body fitt for the purpose and the comfort of a Safari for such long journeys has no parallel.

What may restrict you from tripping few years down the line is the rapid commercialization of all your favourite driving routes, naxalism and civil war.

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc (Post 1875914)
It sure is, but too many things we have "left out" in the last 4-5 years to travel like this and see the length and breadth of this country, but till now - absolutely no regrets.

There's one similarity in between we both and two dissimilarity:
Similarity: Both the vehicles "Your's VTT" and "Mine TCIC" does alot of tours.

Dissimilarity: Mine has clocked 1,92000kms without a rebuild in 5 years and your has done 40K+ with a nearby rebuild.:D:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by adc
Well as 2.5 years of ownership comes up, its time for another celebration ride may be. With son's summer holidays around mid May - some short travel sure is happening.

21st May night at 6 pm is when we leave for Nagpur for a 22-hour transport section travel, hoping to be at Sambalpur at 5 am and thus at Nagpur by 4 pm. Route will be via Choudhar, Orissa, to NH6 as the Lodhashuli road is completely out of bounds for public nowadays in the night - thus some extra 150 km added.

And we are getting some amazing support from team-bhpians, that too till now known by their IDs only, from Kolkata to Nagpur all through!

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaysmokesleaves (Post 1876375)
My dad at 67 still trips with me, and I have learnt from looking at him that age is in your head first.

Jay, great to hear your Dad till enjoying the travel and journey. And just hope that we too that age still have that spark and spirit in us!

Quote:

What may restrict you from tripping few years down the line is the rapid commercialization of all your favourite driving routes, naxalism and civil war.
Thats why keeping Bhutan for those times!! On a serious note, yes thats a very good observation. Just hope some routes will be there for sure later on, but definitely few and far between.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mercedised (Post 1876453)
There's one similarity in between we both and two dissimilarity

May your travels to far and wide on Safari continue. BTW all i inferred is that there's a tourer bhpian from Indore and will be asking for lesser known places if around that side!

Whole M.P state is about relegiousism, There all alot of Holy places, But, say it Fortunately or Unfortunately our place only has 2-3 Hill stations. But, You can visit:
1) Kanha National park
2) Khajuraho
3) Panna National park
4) Pench National park
5) Panchamari
All the above places are worth visiting.
apart from that some relegious temples like:
1) Mahankal in Ujjain (Jyotirling)
2) Omkareshwar (Jyotirling)

there are whole LOT of HOLY temples.:)